Amsoil SSO SIGNATURE SERIES 0W30 analysis after 6000 and almost 14k miles
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Amsoil SSO SIGNATURE SERIES 0W30 analysis after 6000 and almost 14k miles

So, it looks like I will not be running this oil for almost 14k again...yuck city! Perhaps another filter change in between would have helped, or the fact that I took the sample from a vat (dropped the oil filter in my oil bucket by accident and took the sample from the bucket ).

I paid $15 to have the TAN added to the second sample.
      06 V70R GT Magic Blue/Gobi: iPd stage 1 tune, iPd sways, JVC KWM150BT, fixing broken stuff
      Past: (3) 04 S60Rs, 06 XC90, 05 XC70, a couple of 854s, a manual swapped/slammed/19T'd 855 T-5R

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

And close ups, sorry:

06 V70R GT Magic Blue/Gobi: iPd stage 1 tune, iPd sways, JVC KWM150BT, fixing broken stuff
      Past: (3) 04 S60Rs, 06 XC90, 05 XC70, a couple of 854s, a manual swapped/slammed/19T'd 855 T-5R

doesnt look all that bad to me
      2003 S60 T5M - bilstein sport/eibach, sways, exhaust, mini h1 projectors, and other minor touches

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Are you running a paper air filter or high flow dry or oiled air fitler?
      2009 V50 T5 AWD GT: Work in progress (1) (2) (3)

I'm impressed. Your 0W-30 seems to be holding up a lot better than my 10W-30. The TBN on Castrol Edge plummeted from 11.4 to 2.4 in 5K miles.
      '04 S60R. 6MT. Black. Snow Stg. 2 WMI, PhMIC, 3" DP, AMS, HD TCV, Track Spec sways, R boost gauge, F/R strut & subframe braces, silicone coolant hoses, poly tranny and top engine mount bushings, Powerslot rotors, SNABB intake, Forge CBV, kevlar timing belt, TMW short shifter, JRL mod, Powerslot rotors, SS brake lines, Ti brake shims, 3K HID fogs.
      '68 Plymouth Fury III. 318/727 Work in progress.

I would say it did pretty well, considering I changed the filter one time during almost 14k. I do not think I want to push the limit like that again. Perhaps 10k and filter change at 5k. Still saving quite a few $$ compared to the alternatives.

A AMSOIL rep told me as good as the 0w30 is which I've used for many years, he said if he owned an R he would use AMSOIL Series 3000 HDD 5w30 (under their Diesel section). My last change I went with Mobil 1 0w40 and after 3000 miles I'm impressed that I haven't had to add oil like I did with the AMSOIL 0w30. I have 119,xxx on my R. I'm going to switch to the Series 3000. I change my oil and filter at 7500 miles. I just never felt comfortable replacing the filter and toping off the oil. I would if AMSOIL made their extended life filters but not with the OE filter.
      Last edited by Blurry; 05-27-2011 at 02:04 PM.
      2012 S60 T6 R-Design_Ice White_Climate
      2004 SR_MT_Metalic Silver_Nordkap_17" Pegs_Stock_169K SOLD

Wow Bob, I feel like I don't know you anymore

I think the general consensus from ALL of the oil analysis I've seen over the years on this board is that, with full syn (regardless of grade, with a 'reputable' brand), 5-6K is the general limit of usable life.

I think the weak link is the Volvo OE filter. I have no doubt AMSOIL can easily go more than 5-6K. I think I will replace my oil with AMSOIL HDD 5w30 and run it for 7500 and get Blackstone do an analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by AthruC View Post

I think the general consensus from ALL of the oil analysis I've seen over the years on this board is that, with full syn (regardless of grade, with a 'reputable' brand), 5-6K is the general limit of usable life.
      AhtruC: Do you happen to recall what parameters from the oil analyses these conclusions were based on?

GiRaff3: PM me your paypal info and I'll send you some cash to cover the TAN test. The results were pretty interesting and your plan to do 10k with a filter change at 5k is exactly what I would suggest doing based on your results.

I think that 14k was a little bit far to push this oil, based on the increased oxidation (which likely caused the slight increase in viscosity as the oxidation caused the oil to thicken despite the fact that the fuel dilution was still high) and the acid number being higher than the base number (slightly acidic).

Going with 10k changes should give you a nice margin of error.

One thing that I do is take regular oil drop tests of my oil. I have thousands of old business cards (heavy card paper stock) that are no longer useful, due to the fact that my firm has switched logos a few times over the past few years and I didn't throw the old ones away when they issued me new ones. I use these old cards to take oil drop tests approximately every 1000 miles over the course of an oil change interval (OCI) (pull the dipstick, drop a single drop of oil on the card and then set the card aside to let the oil spead out and soak into the card).

By doing this, I have a record of samples over the course of the OCI that shows a gradual change in the oil color and accumulation of particulate/soot. After having done this for a few OCIs, I have a record of approx. what the results should look like after a given amount of time on the oil.

If I were to do the test and the results were drastically different than the result that I obtained for the last OCI at the same mileage on the oil, then this would suggest something was amiss.

Here's a link with a bit more info on doing this easy (and nearly free, if you have old cards or heavy stationary) test: http://www.magna-guard.com/OneDrop.html

Cheers,

Jeff
      04 VR Ti/Atacama MT

I ran Amsoil 0W30 for 40kmiles, and it just felt "thin". (hard to describe)
      I switched to Amsoil 5W40, marketed as a European Car Formula. The car seems quieter and smoother with this oil.
      http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/afl.aspx
      06 VR 6M, Sapphacama, 207miles, loaded and modded.
      "…it must be made to look the best and most evil in its evilness." - Helmut

Blurry: how much oil did you have to add after 3000 miles for 0w30? I am currently adding a quart every 800 miles but I don't think it is a AMSOIL issue but an engine issue. My car currently has 104K miles on it.

Thanks!

This was from many years ago, but I based my judgement on the level of contaminants that most folks started to find in their oil past the 6K mark. Keep in mind the many folks who posted their analyses did not do a filter change between oil changes. That was just the conclusion that *I* came to, based on what I have observed over the years.

I am sure that changing filters multiple times between fills, types of filters used, types of oils, overall oil capacity, etc. allows one to use their motor oil for much extended periods of time (and this is hardly an uncommon practice). What amazes me is that marques like BMW and Mercedes spec their oil change intervals up to 15K miles (with no filter change). That just boggles my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by pie_ya View Post
      Blurry: how much oil did you have to add after 3000 miles for 0w30? I am currently adding a quart every 800 miles but I don't think it is a AMSOIL issue but an engine issue. My car currently has 104K miles on it.

Thanks!
      Have you had a compression and leak down test done on your engine? 1 qt per 800 miles = replacement engine if you were still under warranty, which I assume you're not.
      04 VR Ti/Atacama MT

it would take me a year and a half to put 14k miles on my car, there is no way any oil could handle all the cold starts/heat cycles for 1.5 years of trips that are less than 3 miles
      2003 S60 T5M - bilstein sport/eibach, sways, exhaust, mini h1 projectors, and other minor touches

Quote Originally Posted by soupandspoons View Post
      AhtruC: Do you happen to recall what parameters from the oil analyses these conclusions were based on?

GiRaff3: PM me your paypal info and I'll send you some cash to cover the TAN test. The results were pretty interesting and your plan to do 10k with a filter change at 5k is exactly what I would suggest doing based on your results.

I think that 14k was a little bit far to push this oil, based on the increased oxidation (which likely caused the slight increase in viscosity as the oxidation caused the oil to thicken despite the fact that the fuel dilution was still high) and the acid number being higher than the base number (slightly acidic).

Going with 10k changes should give you a nice margin of error.
      No need for the paypal, I appreciate it through!

I had to add half a qt of oil during the first 5000 miles, then after then I never had to add a drop. It was almost like the motor had to get used to it, then it was good to go. I checked the oil often and the level seemed normal during the rest of the 8k miles.

I guess you don't know me Some R knowledge I take and run with, and other stuff I need to see for myself. In the case of the oil, I had to give it a try. So, 10k, with a filter change at 5k will work perfectly.

:'(

I never figured a filter change into my "theorized equation" - I get oil at a steep discount though, and don't put many miles on any particular car these days, so I take advantage of my situation (and change oil/filter ever 5K). I figure, for the small additional price I pay for the "extra" oil change, there's some added peace of mind for me. There are usually two extremes to any situation, and I generally take the "safer" side I definitely understand, appreciate and respect where you're coming from though, and give kudos for getting the empirical data to back what you're doing.

Have any of you guys heard of Lubra Moly oil made in Germany? http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/p...cument&land=US we have a warehouse out here in Santa Clarita that sells if for $29 a gallon. I think I am gonna try it next week. I change the oil in my R every 6000 normally and have been using Royal Purple.

Quote Originally Posted by pie_ya View Post

Thanks!
      When I used AMSOIL 0w30 I would add 1/2 to 3/4 quarts per 7500 miles unless I autocrossed but never more than a quart which really is nothing in our R. A quart every 800 is a lot. If you can get the AMSOIL Series 3000 5w30 HDD under their diesel section; it's more pricey then even the 0w30 but if it stops you from using a quart/800 miles it may be worth it. I think with my membership I paid $8.45 a quart or something. Once I go the 5-6K on the Mobil 1 0w40 I'm switching. But like I said the Mobil 1 0w40 has done pretty good but from what I've seen and read not sure how comfortable I would be keeping it in the engine for 7500 miles.

23. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements