Bluepower BLP HU Face Plate Improvements Initiative
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Bluepower BLP HU Face Plate Improvements Initiative

Let's use this thread to consolidate the face plate improvements that the community would request / recommend to Bluepower. They have been so responsive thus far, perhaps they will really lay it down for the SS community and consider an upgraded face plate!

1. The DevolvR mod (fix the font to match the rest of the interior):

2A. The evilspoons mod (less silkscreening, remove the "Bluetooth", "Reset", "Mic", "BLP-840", "RDS" and "IR" symbol):

2B. The evilspoons "whole hog" elimination of silkscreening.....

2C. The Rage mod, "We gotta bring the power back":

3. Make the plastic color match:

4. The USB plug cap addition:

http://www.topicovers.com/products/micro-usb-port-cover

5. The AUX jack plug:

Anyone else have aesthetic improvement ideas????
      Last edited by martinbs; 05-31-2011 at 02:53 AM.
      2006 Sonic/Nordkap : 19" O.Z. Superturismo GT

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Ideally, the bezel would match the color of the temp controls perfectly, but perhaps thats too tall an order.
      2004 V70R - GT. Titanium on Nordkap. Mostly stock with a little extra oomph

Do love all your recommendations though and am hoping to see them on my ordered unit.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

The 04 unit matches perfectly with the CCM now and more so than the genuine 04 pocket to replace the phone!!!

Michael

+1 on the evilspoons proposal; looks the cleanest/most OEM out of all of them. Plus, it's standard UI interface for the power/volume button to be on the left (closest to the driver), so even if (cthulhu forbid) someone else should drive your car, the power/volume button should be pretty obvious.

The biggest thing for me is the mismatched color. The wording doesn't really bother me.
      '05 S60R|19" Pegs|iPd Tune|Eibachs|R Kelly|Evolve Exhaust|OBX DP|Custom Grille|Red Caliper Rs|Debadged|10/15mm Spacers|Eurosport Pedals|Pioneer HU w/ Wireless OBDII| - sold - will be my DD again eventually
      '04 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black|Alcantara Interior|SCZA Exhaust|SGT Catless Headers|CSL CF Diffuser|CSL CF Trunk|TTFS Tune|Turner Subframe Reinforcement|Beisan VANOS|Laser Interceptors|MOMO Daytona Seats|Fall-Line Motorsports Half-Cage|Schroth 6-PT Harnesses|Eibach Coilovers|PFC 08 Track Pads|APEX Arc-8 Wheels|Sunroof Delete|Rear Seat Delete|
      '12 XC60 RD|Stock|Daily Driver|

what color is this font? on the other thread i suggested silver or grey font to match the silver ring on the dash or is that done?

Is it possible that the color mismatch is due to the color fading?
      1998 S70 GLT - Sold
      1999 V70XC - Sold

1997 850 GLT - Daily Driver Check It Out
      2007 S60R - - FOR SALE -285 awhp/305 ft-lb
      Sometimes I sing too

I'm pretty sure that the color mismatch is due to the bluepower faceplate is injection molded, or another similar process. The color of the faceplate is from the material. This color is much more difficult to match then compared to say, painting it.
      2005 S60 T5 M66 (1 of 72). 4C, Sport Kit, Snabb Short Shifter+Bushings, IPD Track Sways, Bi-Xenon Retrofitted R headlights, IPD DP + Oval Tube Exhaust, Forge CBV, Snabb intake pipe, R Brembos F+R, FC04A 17x8+35...
      2005 G55k Family hauler
      2007 Formula SAE Racecar (Auto-X Restoration)
      NA1 Supercharged NSX someday.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMikeD5 View Post
      The 04 unit matches perfectly with the CCM now and more so than the genuine 04 pocket to replace the phone!!!

Michael
      I believe that Bluepower is going to change the plastic color for the BLP-840 faceplate in the next production run.

Do you have some pics you could post up?

I don't have vivid recollection of the plastic color for the CCM from when I had an 04.....

Quote Originally Posted by bocephus View Post
      +1 on the evilspoons proposal; looks the cleanest/most OEM out of all of them. Plus, it's standard UI interface for the power/volume button to be on the left (closest to the driver), so even if (cthulhu forbid) someone else should drive your car, the power/volume button should be pretty obvious.

Which evilspoons mod did you prefer? The "whole hog"?

Quote Originally Posted by wpg-s60r View Post
      what color is this font? on the other thread i suggested silver or grey font to match the silver ring on the dash or is that done?
      Font color is white for silkscreen. Sort of looks gray though, like you can see the black plastic behind it a bit.

If you were referring to fonts for the display panel, we're all waiting to see what Bluepower comes back with next week.

Quote Originally Posted by prienzo View Post
      Is it possible that the color mismatch is due to the color fading?
      I doubt it, but perhaps to some very, very small degree.

Quote Originally Posted by broinkrist View Post
      I'm pretty sure that the color mismatch is due to the bluepower faceplate is injection molded, or another similar process. The color of the faceplate is from the material. This color is much more difficult to match then compared to say, painting it.
      I agree with this.

In recent talks with Bluepower it seems that they are going to work on ALL of these aesthetic improvements. No guarantees, but it looks very promising.

Can you say......retro-fit!!??!!

I'd bet somebody is getting a new faceplate!

SWEET!!!!!

Also, because the text is silkscreened, it will most likely be pretty easy to remove without damaging the plastic surround surface. I, ay experiment with painting the radio surround when I get the unit if it really bothers me. I will definitely be removing some of the text though. Will post back with my results.
      2005 S60 T5 M66 (1 of 72). 4C, Sport Kit, Snabb Short Shifter+Bushings, IPD Track Sways, Bi-Xenon Retrofitted R headlights, IPD DP + Oval Tube Exhaust, Forge CBV, Snabb intake pipe, R Brembos F+R, FC04A 17x8+35...
      2005 G55k Family hauler
      2007 Formula SAE Racecar (Auto-X Restoration)
      NA1 Supercharged NSX someday.

Good luck with the silkscreen removal, glad I could be of inspiration lol.

I agree with DevolvR's font change idea too.
      Currently driving: 2012 Subaru Impreza WRX STi 5-door, 1991 940 Turbo sedan.
      Written off: 2005 S60R. Magic Blue/Nordkap Sold: 2004 S60 2.4i, 1987 740 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by evilspoons View Post
      Good luck with the silkscreen removal, glad I could be of inspiration lol.

I agree with DevolvR's font change idea too.

Thanks, I would prefer a minimalistic faceplate, but that would also sacrifice a bit of functionality and direction. But definitely font change on the Source buttons! If they do include Bluetooth logo, just use the mark without the word "Bluetooth". It's great to see BluePower being so pro-active on this!
      04 S60 R MT Titanium Grey/Nordcap thread Copper Work VX-XX 19" Staggered | DP & Custom Quad Tip Exhaust | 05+ Conversion Exterior & Interior | Sport Kit
      12 XC60 Ice White Wifey's Family Hauler | 3.2 AWD | Heico Kit | Fast 19" FC04A | Running Boards
      12 S60 R-Design Ice White | Bone stock for now
      IG: @devolvR

Quote Originally Posted by martinbs View Post
      I agree with this.

In recent talks with Bluepower it seems that they are going to work on ALL of these aesthetic improvements. No guarantees, but it looks very promising.

Can you say......retro-fit!!??!!

I'd bet somebody is getting a new faceplate!
      This is great news. Hopefully we'll see this soon.
      Out of the suggested changes, I like the Rage mod, with a new font in place of the existing one.

Looking at the HU-850 (pictured above), it is useful to have the text explaining the function of the buttons on the face. However, I agree that the Bluetooth logo/wording can go -- or at least, use the original Bluetooth font with the use of the logo in smaller print, as it appears on Bluetooth equipped aftermarket units.

The model number in the suggested Sans Digital EF font in the original place would be a good idea as well, to help identify the unit. No Bluepower logo on there though.
      Last edited by Dr. Claw; 06-20-2011 at 03:24 PM.

22. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements