2017 Inscription -- flooded driver side footwell
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2017 Inscription -- flooded driver side footwell

So about to go to work earlier this morning, and my driver side footwell has about 6" of water. Everything else is as dry as it can be. I was parked on the street, but water was not coming up high. Any ideas as what it could be? A windshield leak that's so hidden you can't see where it's leaking? I couldn't figure out where it could've come from, everything else is dry, the passenger side is dry. It really looks as if somebody just poured a gallon or two of water in on the driver side and nowhere else..

Going to see if I can take the car to the dealer, I think I still have a month or two on the warranty. But no high hopes here, I anticipate that at best they'll run diagnostics and tell me that everything checks out and to come back to them if it happens again.

Pics:
      IMG_2035.jpg
      IMG_2038.jpg
      Attached Images Attached Images
      Last edited by Dixon12; 04-13-2020 at 07:11 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Best bet here is to do some investigation yourself. Sunroof drain may be clogged or the drain may have come off.

The HVAC system may be leaking into the cabin from under the cowel.

Have someone run a hose over the car while your in it to get a better idea where it's coming from.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
      2015 V60 R-Design - Onyx Black Metallic / Off Black
      2004 Mazda 6s Touring - 3.0 V6 / Manual
      2008 Suzuki SV650 - Pearl Novelty Black
      2002 SVT Focus Turbo - Dead and gone

Quote Originally Posted by Dixon12 View Post
      So about to go to work earlier this morning, and my driver side footwell has about 6" of water. Everything else is as dry as it can be. I was parked on the street, but water was not coming up high. Any ideas as what it could be? A windshield leak that's so hidden you can't see where it's leaking? I couldn't figure out where it could've come from, everything else is dry, the passenger side is dry. It really looks as if somebody just poured a gallon or two of water in on the driver side and nowhere else..

Going to see if I can take the car to the dealer, I think I still have a month or two on the warranty. But no high hopes here, I anticipate that at best they'll run diagnostics and tell me that everything checks out and to come back to them if it happens again.

TAKE IT INTO THE DEALER IMMEDIATELY! Could be a sunroof drain clog or something else. Water is very damaging and corrosive. No need to figure out the problem yourself, as the warranty on a 2017 SHOULD most likely still be in effect! Let the dealer handle this, because water can fry electronics, so sopping it up isn't the correct approach.

Your carpets might need replaced because the padding could now grow mold. ANd who knows where else the water has pooled.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

So I took it to the dealer, thankfully the car is still under warranty. They claimed a leaf clogged a drain and that it's common. Never had anything like it on any of my previous cars, so this is a new one.

They cleaned it up and vacuumed the interior, and I'll let it dry. I don't believe carpets need to be replace or that mold will be an issue. Seems like a gross design flaw to have a drain that would leak into the car, but if it dries up, it won't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixon12 View Post
      So I took it to the dealer, thankfully the car is still under warranty. They claimed a leaf clogged a drain and that it's common. Never had anything like it on any of my previous cars, so this is a new one.

They cleaned it up and vacuumed the interior, and I'll let it dry. I don't believe carpets need to be replace or that mold will be an issue. Seems like a gross design flaw to have a drain that would leak into the car, but if it dries up, it won't be a problem.
      Numerous threads exist about the problem on this forum. It's semi common. How much water was pooled? Even though rain is freshwater, it's pooling all the dirt and debris with it from the car. And depending upon how saturated he carpets are, it could go into the padding. A lot of times they need to take out the actual padding of the car and vacuum out all the water as there's several inches of padding.

I've never had this issue and hope to never have the issue, but I'd still be worried about the carpeting. Do some research on here see how others addressed the issue.

So almost two years ago I had a similar issue on my old XC90 except it was parked outside during Hurricane Florence. I’m still not exactly sure what the cause of the water intrusion was. Dealer replaced parts of the passenger door I think.

However, in terms of getting the car back to its prior state. This all took place during the hurricane. I live in in coastal NC. So when I saw the issue I immediately called the dealer and it was of course still closed. I couldn’t even leave my neighborhood due to all the fallen trees. So I waited like 5 more days until the roads were clean and the town was somewhat functional. I drove to the dealer since their phones were still down. I saw the owner sweeping water out of the showroom. She told me they wouldn’t be open for another two weeks due to damage the building sustained. So my XC90 went almost a month without being tended to. Over those few weeks I parked it in the garage at night with the doors open to let it air out. I still had to drive it though. I noticed when I would make turns too fast water would seep out from under the dash and I could hear sloshing noises. When I finally got it to the dealer for an appointment, it was in the shop for almost a week and they had to remove all carpet and let it dry out for a while. I don’t recall how many parts they had to replace but I wasn’t many. There was also no mold thank god. I’d bet your XC60 should come out fine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements