2012 Volvo S60 R-Design Power Boost Comes Courtesy of Polestar Performance
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2012 Volvo S60 R-Design Power Boost Comes Courtesy of Polestar Performance

We talked with Polestar's own engineers this past weekend while driving the C30 Polestar Concept. And there's more news about S60s and Polestar on the way for US customers, too.

FULL STORY

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

"if the Polestar upgrades catch on, we may see some seriously sporty Volvos in the near future and perhaps even the Polestar name reaching the level of AMG or BMW M."

Stretching it just a bit.
      2011 Audi S4 - Imola Yellow/Black Alcantara
      2004 S60R 6MT - Passion Red/Nordkap (sold)
      2009 RAV4 Sport V6 - Classic Silver/Charcoal

If, May, Near, Perhaps........ hmmmmmm I have my fingers crossed
      Last edited by S60T6; 06-20-2011 at 02:36 PM.
      2010 Bronze Volvo XC60 T6 - hers
      2016 Onyx Black Volvo XC60 T6 R-Design

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

My other thread pretty much lays out what is happening. The software will be available for existing T6 owners later in 2011. I'm running a pre-release version and it is worth it. Poor B8 S4.
      2013 Tesla Model S P85+ - Grey/Black
      2011 BMW M3 Coupe - Alpine White/Black Novillo Leather

Quote Originally Posted by MagoonR View Post
      "if the Polestar upgrades catch on, we may see some seriously sporty Volvos in the near future and perhaps even the Polestar name reaching the level of AMG or BMW M."

Stretching it just a bit.
      Agreed. AMG and M are actually divisions owned by the parent company, not a separate racing shop...
      04 S60 R MT Titanium Grey/Nordcap thread Copper Work VX-XX 19" Staggered | DP & Custom Quad Tip Exhaust | 05+ Conversion Exterior & Interior | Sport Kit
      12 XC60 Ice White Wifey's Family Hauler | 3.2 AWD | Heico Kit | Fast 19" FC04A | Running Boards
      12 S60 R-Design Ice White | Bone stock for now
      IG: @devolvR

Quote Originally Posted by DevolvR View Post
      Agreed. AMG and M are actually divisions owned by the parent company, not a separate racing shop...
      AMG started that way but was later acquired by MB. My point was that comparing a tuned widely available powerplant to powerplants that are specific to an M or AMG (and are sometimes hand built) is a stretch..........especially since both lineages have a long established history.

Quote Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
      Poor B8 S4.
      No need to feel sorry. I certainly don't.
      Last edited by MagoonR; 06-20-2011 at 03:00 PM.

No need to feel sorry. I certainly don't.
      He was definitely surprised this morning.

He was definitely surprised this morning.
      These things happen. It will be interesting to see an official testing of the RD and see what numbers the mags are able to get. Numerous B8 owners are pulling high 12's to very low 13's in the 1/4 mile.........stock. IIRC, the T6 does the 1/4 in approx 14 flat. Stay tuned.

These things happen. It will be interesting to see an official testing of the RD and see what numbers the mags are able to get. Numerous B8 owners are pulling high 12's to very low 13's in the 1/4 mile.........stock. IIRC, the T6 does the 1/4 in approx 14 flat. Stay tuned.
      I'll share my numbers after this weekend. Power boost + reduced weight + air filter + exhaust should translate into something over stock, though by how much I don't know.

I'll share my numbers after this weekend. Power boost + reduced weight + air filter + exhaust should translate into something over stock, though by how much I don't know.
      Enjoy. BTW, where is the "reduced weight" coming from? Did you remove the spare tire?

Enjoy. BTW, where is the "reduced weight" coming from? Did you remove the spare tire?

Spare tire ... oh wait, inflation kit.

Exhaust... factory resonator weighs 40+ pounds. Heico's weighs around 18.

I would have to believe the next tune for the T6 from ipd or rica would produce in excess of the 20+ hp and tq offered by Polestar so why bother. A more compelling offering would be a T5 R-Design with 300+ hp, LSD and manual trans. The T5 is almost -300 lbs lighter!!

MagoonR when did you sell your R! Nice choice on the B8 S4 though.
      Last edited by volvofla; 06-21-2011 at 01:15 PM.
      2006 BMW M3 Coupe
      2004 S60R, GT (Sold)
      2005 XC90 2.5T
      2007 BMW 525i (Mrs)

Quote Originally Posted by volvofla View Post
      The R went to its new home back in March..........and definitely agree that Imola looks great on the S4.

I would have to believe the next tune for the T6 from ipd or rica would produce in excess of the 20+ hp and tq offered by Polestar so why bother. A more compelling offering would be a T5 R-Design with 300+ hp, LSD and manual trans. The T5 is almost -300 lbs lighter!!
      Horsepower is just a derivative of torque. You could even say it's an arbitrary number...
      The tranny has to support 480Nm of torque already. How much would you like to increase that to?
      I sincerely doubt that any sort of ECU tune will go beyond that.

Some people are never satisfied, i guess...

A new gearbox and improved transmission would unlock the beast of the T6....
      Last edited by stormlv; 06-21-2011 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stormlv View Post
      Horsepower is just a derivative of torque. You could even say it's an arbitrary number...
      The tranny has to support 480Nm of torque already. How much would you like to increase that to?
      I sincerely doubt that any sort of ECU tune will go beyond that.

Some people are never satisfied, i guess...
      +1

A new gearbox and improved transmission would unlock the beast of the T6....
      Truer words never spoken.

That is the weak spot. And is WEAK. This engine is dying for something better.
      2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription, Osmium Grey, Convenience, Vision, B&W, Air Susp, 22s
      2010 Volvo XC60 R-Design, Sapphire Black, Climate, Convenience, Multimedia
      2014 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite, White Diamond Pearl (Sold)
      2004 Acura TSX, Satin Silver, 6MT, Nav (Sold)
      2006 Audi A3, Silver, Climate, Premium Pkg, Convenience, Nav, Bose, Open Sky (Sold)

The tranny has to support 480Nm of torque already.
      In actuality it's not a arbitrary number but rather HP = (TQxRPM)/5252. All I'm trying to say is that simply modifying the ECU programming to add an addition 20+ hp and slapping a R-Design logo is hardly something to write home about especially when you know there are already established tuners. If Volvo was serious about performance and wanted to produce an enthusiast car they have to address the issue of a competent transmission (dual clutch or manual), weight reduction, a true mechanical LSD and not brake/electronic wizardry and more power never hurts.

In actuality it's not a arbitrary number but rather HP = (TQxRPM)/5252. All I'm trying to say is that simply modifying the ECU programming to add an addition 20+ hp and slapping a R-Design logo is hardly something to write home about especially when you know there are already established tuners. If Volvo was serious about performance and wanted to produce an enthusiast car they have to address the issue of a competent transmission (dual clutch or manual), weight reduction, a true mechanical LSD and not brake/electronic wizardry and more power never hurts.
      And since when do these "established tuners" comply with factory warranty?
      I can also assure you that no serious tuner will tune to any significant higher numbers. The gearbox cannot cope with any further increased torque.

Lastly, I completely agree that that Volvo needs to offer customers a manual transmission option, or an automatic worth it's name.

I know the formula, and you're missing the point of what I said. And yes, if you look at the basic definition of the horse power, it was an arbitrary number that was chosen to represent 550 foot-pounds per second, or approximately 745 watts. Hence the 5252, which is an artifact from unit conversion.
      My point was that you can't increase horsepower anymore with an ECU tune. The engine's already giving plenty of torque and since the RPMs are pretty much non negotiable, you can't get more than how much Heico or Polestar are getting...
      Why bother? Because it's "free" gain, without major components overhaul (like gearbox and tranny). And by what wdimagineer told us about the tune, the impact is noticeable...
      Last edited by stormlv; 06-22-2011 at 01:04 AM.

Why buy from a third party when the polestar offering through Volvo is fully integrated and covered by the factory warranty? When we do make the T6 polestar tune available, it will represent a tremendous value compared to what is currently out there for this engine.

His: 2021 XC90 T8, Crystal white with Amber, 7 pass. Hers: 2020 XC60 T5 FWD Momentum, Osmium Gray, blond leather.
      His Toy: 2017 Mazda Miata, Red with beige leather, 6MT. Her toy: 2013 C70, Caspian Blue with black sovereign hide interior.
      Daughter number one: 2016 XC60 T5 FWD
      Daughter number two: 2018 XC90 T6 AWD Momentum with Polestar, Son-in-Law: 2013 S60 T5 AWD
      Daughter number three: 2020 XC90 T6 AWD Momentum 6 passenger

Are you going to offer the tune for previous generation S60 as well?
      2017 BMW X5
      2016 Audi A6

Quote Originally Posted by marcinrudzki View Post
      The previous S60 did not have the T6 engine so this does not apply to any of those cars.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal Nappa L, Advance, Rear Air Suspension, Bowers & Wilkins, Luxury, RtrbleTow Hitch, Polestar optimization, 20" wheels, Side Scuff Plate
      2020 V90 T6 AWD R-design Crystal White M, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, 20" wheels, Polestar optimization

Quote Originally Posted by marcinrudzki View Post
      We have asked Polestar to come back with a tune for the 2.5T in the P2 variants. The business case is good as the volumes are so high.
      His: 2021 XC90 T8, Crystal white with Amber, 7 pass. Hers: 2020 XC60 T5 FWD Momentum, Osmium Gray, blond leather.
      His Toy: 2017 Mazda Miata, Red with beige leather, 6MT. Her toy: 2013 C70, Caspian Blue with black sovereign hide interior.
      Daughter number one: 2016 XC60 T5 FWD
      Daughter number two: 2018 XC90 T6 AWD Momentum with Polestar, Son-in-Law: 2013 S60 T5 AWD
      Daughter number three: 2020 XC90 T6 AWD Momentum 6 passenger

Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post
      The previous S60 did not have the T6 engine so this does not apply to any of those cars.
      I know that but I was wondering if there may be something in the works for those models
      2017 BMW X5
      2016 Audi A6

Quote Originally Posted by cdauerer View Post
      We have asked Polestar to come back with a tune for the 2.5T in the P2 variants. The business case is good as the volumes are so high.
      Great! Thank you, Sir.
      2017 BMW X5
      2016 Audi A6

29. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements