Can someone ID this instrument cluster?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Can someone ID this instrument cluster?

Hey guys, I was referred here by some Volvo friends when I asked them to help me with this one. My last job (12 years ago) was in an import salvage yard and I picked this up when I saw it inside the building on a shelf. My intention was to use it in an older VW someday. I've since changed my mind and plan to use it in a hot rod build, possibly with a turbo Volvo engine. I just want to know some more info about it.

Pics:

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Welcome to Swedespeed, Jonathan.

Any pics of the back?

George Dill

It's the optional R-Sport gauge setup from an early 240. Those were mostly seen in the 242GT models. Someone made a custom aluminum mounting plate. The warning lights show through those square holes at the bottom.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Thank you for the reply. That's about what I found out from the one mechanic I talked to. His recollection wasn't as detailed, though. The mounting plate is the factory one; when I got it, the finish was pretty scratched up so I sanded it off and did a brushed finish. I actually have the warning lights and the rest; the printed circuit board was cracked, however. I'm not terribly worried about is as I have extensive experience with VW clusters. If I can't repair it, I'll just hard wire it. Any ideas on what it's worth? I'm not interested in selling it, but one guy I talked to said it might be pretty valuable.

As is...assuming gauges all work and no broken glass...$125 -150. Perhaps more if you eBay it.

Thanks for the quick appraisal. I will definitely keep it and use it at that value. You know the saying, everything's for sale for the right price. That isn't it! Lol

A friend of mine in Florida restores the GT and Rally clusters; he could give you a much more accurate appraisal. His screen name on turbobricks.com is RP80242GT+T
      Not only does he restore and customize the clusters, he produces a very high quality and faithful reproduction of the GT stripe kits for both the early and late model GT's...

Quote Originally Posted by swiftjustice44 View Post
      A friend of mine in Florida restores the GT and Rally clusters; he could give you a much more accurate appraisal. His screen name on turbobricks.com is RP80242GT+T
      Not only does he restore and customize the clusters, he produces a very high quality and faithful reproduction of the GT stripe kits for both the early and late model GT's...
      How can I get in touch with your friend? I'll be doing a repaint in a couple of months and would like to replace the stripes. I actually like the GT stripes better than the turbo stripes.

I actually have the warning lights and the rest; the printed circuit board was cracked, however. I'm not terribly worried about is as I have extensive experience with VW clusters. If I can't repair it,

^^^
      If you can find where the breaks in the circuits are, you can repair them with either a rear window defogger grid repair kit, or a circuit board repair kit from an electronics store.

If you will pm me an email address, I'll forward it on to Roger and y'all can go from there.

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements