Ac delete?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: Ac delete?

Ac delete?

My ac compressor bearing is failing and I don't have the money to shell out for a new one just yet is there anyway I could deleted it temporarily

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Why don't you just leave it and fix it when you get the funds... Only time I'd recommend gutting out your car is if its strictly a track car or if you like to feel like you're driving around a track car on the streets. To each their own.
      Sold : 2005 SR MT Black Sapphire Metallic/Nordkap
      Mods: bone stock

I don't want to wait because I don't want it to seize and run the risk of taking out my timing belt

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I doubt you'd be able to unless you got some sort of idler made or a different size belt but then you'd need to make sure the belt is same spec.

Can't you go to a scrap yard or breakers and get a used aircon part that doesn't have a failed bearing?

I dont think it will seize if there is no freon. The clutch on the drive unit typically wont engage if the freon level is too low. When its running and you turn the air on, do you hear a click from the drive pully/compressor? Maybe have someone drain the freon? Someone else can chime in to confirm.
      2004 S60R GT; IPD Stage 2 - Sold...then totalled.
      2006 BMW 750Li - Alpine White Sled....
      2006 V70R GT - Wifeys
      1956 Ford Sunliner
      2002 Porsche 911 Cabriolet

Just don't push the AC button.
      My YouTube Channel & My Twitter @TheCastro
      I miss my R, but I don't miss the constant repairs

The compressor has nothing to do with the timing belt, it's on the accessories belt. (for obvious reasons, it's an accessory) Also, as Castro said, if you don't push the AC button...
      '04 S60R. 6MT. Black. Snow Stg. 2 WMI, PhMIC, 3" DP, AMS, HD TCV, Track Spec sways, R boost gauge, F/R strut & subframe braces, silicone coolant hoses, poly tranny and top engine mount bushings, Powerslot rotors, SNABB intake, Forge CBV, kevlar timing belt, TMW short shifter, JRL mod, Powerslot rotors, SS brake lines, Ti brake shims, 3K HID fogs.
      '68 Plymouth Fury III. 318/727 Work in progress.

Volvo has a a/c delete bracket and pulley. Sorry, I don't have the part number. but when you remove refrigerant the engine cooling fan runs all the time.
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport
      2005 S60R 6MT, Hilton Stage 3

Theres a AC Delco belt that is the right size.

I used it on my 98R .

Dont know the part # off the top of my head thou.
      /2006 S60 T5 /K24/R Calipers/17" pegs/OBX/Koni/Eibach/JVC/SNABB/IPDSway,
      /2004 V70 R/M66 /05+ Tails/ 05+ Console/Evolve Intake/IPD Sways/OZ/Kenwood/PHUZZ
      /2005 V70XC -Stock
      Unquestionable faith is the Epitome of Ignorance. - me
      That’s because you savagely dismember Volvos. That’s not ownership, that’s a serial killing kidnapper!

Quote Originally Posted by vplay84 View Post
      The compressor has nothing to do with the timing belt, it's on the accessories belt. (for obvious reasons, it's an accessory) Also, as Castro said, if you don't push the AC button...
      True...but very misleading!! I have seen numerous Volvo engines timing belts taken out by the serp belt - actually i would say its the #1 failure of timing belts - right up there with the tensioner or idler pulley.

What will you do when a more important and more expensive part fails on your car? If you can't afford a new/rebuilt/used/scrap AC unit you're in for a shock when something else breaks..
      2004 S60R Silver/Nordkap 176k
      1991 Mustang GT White on Gray 168k

Anybody have a part number :/ I'm still googleing it

look up the touring car thread that was made by Piercemotorsports, they used the a/c delete kit on the race car.
      2003 S60 T5M - bilstein sport/eibach, sways, exhaust, mini h1 projectors, and other minor touches

I'm having trouble finding that thread -__-

a/c delete plate #1270598
      idler# 9458470
      bolt # 988185
      bolt cap# 9125572
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport
      2005 S60R 6MT, Hilton Stage 3

Quote Originally Posted by Insider View Post
      a/c delete plate #1270598
      idler# 9458470
      bolt # 988185
      bolt cap# 9125572

MY02 V70XC/M66/4T4/650cc/FMIC/Aquamist/TME 3" DP+Catback/Built B5244T5 + MTE custom tuned =
      MY05 S60 T5/K24/465cc/TME 3" DP/HEICO catback + MTE Stage 2 tuned =
      MY18 V40 T3 + MTE Stage 1 tuned =
      MY06 S60 T5 Bone Stock...

If your going to be buying and installing parts for the delete at that point you might as well fix the a/c. Buy a used a/c compressor froma scrap yard or someone parting out a car. You are bringing down the value of your car by taking off the a/c and I see you are from MA- how are you going to defrost your windshiled in the winter? Overall i think your best bet would be to look for a better alternative to repairing the issue rather then spending money on deleting a/c.
      IPD DP and Evolve Sport Exhaust, Snow Performance Methanol Progressive Kit,Unorthodox Racing Crank Pulley,SNABB Big Front Mount Kit, Eibach Springs,Elevate Rear Sway-Neutrall Setup,10 mm Spacers front & 15 mm Spacers rear, Sleeved block/forged pistons,Steve-O Tune w/snabb S4 intake kit, Hybrid Turbo, delrin bushings

Yes I know it's bringing the value down not like I going to be selling soon so that dosnt matter and I've never used my ac in the winter time to defrost my winshield.... Nor have I ever used my ac in the summer and I'm saving for a new compressor and dryer also like I said before I don't need it snapping into my fly wheel and destroying the motor -__-

Quote Originally Posted by ifnt420 View Post

Will this fit on my 1999 S 70?

Will this fit on my 1999 S70?

I have tried using a shorter belt to by pass the AC, now my generator isn't charging the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by NYR View Post
      If your going to be buying and installing parts for the delete at that point you might as well fix the a/c. Buy a used a/c compressor froma scrap yard or someone parting out a car. You are bringing down the value of your car by taking off the a/c and I see you are from MA- how are you going to defrost your windshiled in the winter? Overall i think your best bet would be to look for a better alternative to repairing the issue rather then spending money on deleting a/c.
      Agreed, removing the AC is what VW owners would do...
      07 S60R MT Ti-GraySuspensionKW Coilovers, IPD poly inserts, IDP sways, IPD endlinks, UR Braces, IPD tranny mount Engine SNAAB turbo pipe to Audi MAF, VIVA lightened flywheel, 4T4 Turbo, OBX Catless DP, IPD catback exhaust, FMIC, Hilton tune Misc SNAAB shifter, HID fogs, custom euro headlights, Sport kit, Elevate Skirts, VIVA PCC spoiler

This is the stupidest idea ive heard in awhile. Dont have money for proper fix, so ill spend money on a unnecessary one.... If the bearing and belt are ok then just dont use your AC, its that simple.

The very first post from OP says the bearing is failing... A used unit has a chance of being in similar condition. I can understand the "patch" train of thought. Yes, there are better options, but maybe they don't apply to OP.

Give that compressor delete a try and save up for a new compressor (and related components to retain a warranty )

You guys do realize the original post is 4 years old, right? Im sure its been resolved one way or the other by now...
      2004 S60R GT; IPD Stage 2 - Sold...then totalled.
      2006 BMW 750Li - Alpine White Sled....
      2006 V70R GT - Wifeys
      1956 Ford Sunliner
      2002 Porsche 911 Cabriolet

Haha, no I didn't..still a dumb idea four years alter though.
      07 S60R MT Ti-GraySuspensionKW Coilovers, IPD poly inserts, IDP sways, IPD endlinks, UR Braces, IPD tranny mount Engine SNAAB turbo pipe to Audi MAF, VIVA lightened flywheel, 4T4 Turbo, OBX Catless DP, IPD catback exhaust, FMIC, Hilton tune Misc SNAAB shifter, HID fogs, custom euro headlights, Sport kit, Elevate Skirts, VIVA PCC spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by Stubaru View Post
      Haha, no I didn't..still a dumb idea four years alter though.
      Dumb idea? Really?

My AC leaks, in dash. Volvo did the UV dye stuff to find it. Do you really think it's worth the cost to pull out the entire dash to replace components? My T5 is a 15 year old car. I could buy another car with working AC for less cost than paying someone to fix it.

Don't turn on the AC? I did one better, I just unplugged the wire for the clutch (fan relay was already aftermarket, so I pulled the wire for the AC fan engagement as well so the fan doesn't get kicked on either). Problem solved right? Nope. After 6 months the bearings seized up. There was so much smoke coming from the engine bay I thought the car was on fire. It was burnt up so bad, rebuilding and replacing the bearing was no longer an option. OK, plan B. In the middle of winter while it was about 0deg F outside I went to the local U-pull and grabbed a compressor for $29 and put it in my car. That was not fun in the cold, but now the problem is solved. Right? Nope. Now one year later, the junkyard compressor is squealing like a pig. So if I ignore it, it will probably go out in the middle of Jan when it's -20F.

So, still a dumb idea? I don't think so. Thanks to the few who actually posted helpful replies and checking around for the best prices, I can get all of the parts I need for under $50. For new parts that I don't have to pull myself in the middle of the winter, $50 sounds pretty good to me.

And yes, this is an old post. But as they always say "use the search!" We'll I did, and it brought me here, and I thought I'd be nice enough to thank the very few folks that actually posted helpful information if they are still around.
      Last edited by drkarrow; 12-01-2015 at 11:41 PM.

What wire did you pull to stop fan?
      2004 V70R GT 255K miles purchased 9/15/12. Had several R company cars in the past and had to have one of my own.
      OBX DP but I've only just begun.............
      2010 XC60 T6 RD
      Several farm trucks, tractors, trailers, and a Suzuki Carry Kei truck.

Ac delete?

I think ill b doin a delete. So you can take out the condensor too? Wht about the sensors, how do trick the caR into thinking it still has pressure
      Last edited by MvI_S60R; 12-02-2015 at 01:30 PM.
      06 S60R M66 | Blurple w/Sport Kit | 19" FC04A's | KW V2 | Hilton Stage 2.25 | DevilsOwn W/M | IPD:3" Oval Catless Exhaust | HD CA's | Adj. Toe Bars | 28mm Rear Sway | Snabb: Turbo Intake | Airbox | Big FMIC | Synapse DV | Colder Plugs | Strut Brace | Delrin S.B.'s | 20mm Spacers | 90mm Studs | Fancy Rotors | A-Pillar Boost/Trans/Volt Gauges | ScanGauge II | All Lights HID | My BUILD THREAD

31. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements