Things We Like That We Thought We Would Hate
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Things We Like That We Thought We Would Hate

What are some of the pleasant surprises you've had with your XC-90 when you initially thought you would be indifferent about it or outright hate it.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Things We Like That We Thought We Would Hate (Mr. Kotter)

Glad we didn't get the headlamp washers.

The seat heaters.
      My wife was indifferent about it when we bought the car. Now, don't you dare standing between her and her controls!
      2018 XC90 T8 AWD Momentum Plus, Denim Blue, convenience, air suspension, B&W, HUD, etc
      2005 S60 2.5T AWD (OSD) Platinum Green, Premium, Convenience, Climate, Bi-Xenon, etc
      Previous:
      2016 XC90 T6 AWD (OSD) Momentum Plus, Magic Blue, vision, convenience, air suspension, B&W, HUD, etc
      2004 XC90 T6 AWD (gone but not forgotten)

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

ZF Speed Sensitive Steering

2 pieces cargo mat, luggages fish-net.

Quote, originally posted by Mr. Kotter »
      What are some of the pleasant surprises you've had with your XC-90 when you initially thought you would be indifferent about it or outright hate it.

Kind of an odd-ended question. I agree with the indifference possibilities, but I can't imagine going into any vehicle purchase feeling I'm going to "hate" a feature about it - I would likely not buy it from the onset.
      But, anyway..............

I was indifferent about the seat-heaters. I'm more warm-natured than my wife, so she was exited about them. The thing I've come to appreciate is the back-warmer part of the seat heaters. I had a disc lamanectomy 13 years ago, so I sometimes have an occasional sore back. This is almost like a nice heat-pad.

Nothing that I hate or even dislike at all about the vehicle. The thing I would like is if the second row seats reclined, but it's no big deal unless I happen to be sitting back there.

I was indifferent about the IAQS, but I think it's an amazing option. I'll pull behind a vehicle billowing smoke out its exhaust and not smell a thing. I've tried doing this manually in other cars, but would always turn the recycle air on a little late, recycling the exhaust air in the car. Or, I would forget to turn the recycle air option off, and would notice it later when the air seemed stuffy.

I also wasn't sure about the ZF Power Steering on the 2.5. It was only a $200 option for OSD. I was told it wasn't as sensitive as on the T6 and was a good match on the 2.5 so I went for it. I think it works very well and has exceded my expectations.

Re: Things We Like That We Thought We Would Hate IAQS

I'm glad that the IAQS is actually a noticable entity in the car...very cool. Chicago can get stinky even without chicken farms.

Re: Things We Like That We Thought We Would Hate IAQS (Mr. Kotter)

Seconded on the IAQS. We were anxious to see if it really worked. Since driving the XC90 to work in Oakland and back nearly every weekday, we have yet to smell ANYTHING from outside - no stinky diesel fumes, no skunk "aroma", no garbage truck perfume. A great system!!!

Re: Things We Like That We Thought We Would Hate IAQS (W6JHB)

The reverse assist. Sounded like it would be really annoying and I only agreed to get it when the dealer assured me that it could be turned off. Turns out its really helpful when parallel parking and its already saved my kids bike!

Re: Things We Like That We Thought We Would Hate IAQS (Tripp)

Reverse Warning system: It's ok, could be better, it turns on every time I back out of my garage and would only save hitting something once we clear the door. Haven't had it engage backing up yet even when I think I'm getting cloe to other cars, probably just not close enough to set it off. It should have a an adjustable setting close , medium distance and far, ie 2 ft, 4ft, 6ft or something along those lines

As for the IAQS...how does it work? I won't be able to enjoy it till my XC90 arrives, but I'm intrigued by it.

On my 1998 S70, you can program the recirculate mode to reset to outside air after about ten minutes. The other mode stays engaged till you manually open up. My wife's 1995 960 stays engaged all the time. I like it opening to outside air after a brief time.

Having it work automatically will be cool...just like having a big mechanical nose as a hood ornament!

Re: (Rick_Auricchio)

Quote, originally posted by Rick_Auricchio »
      As for the IAQS...how does it work?

"IAQS includes an activated carbon filter. It is an advanced air quality system, which automatically purifies the incoming air of impurities and odours. IAQS makes the interior air cleaner than the air outside the car.
      "
      Our experience is it works really well. I recommend getting the climate package, the only thing we didn't like and didn't get is the headlamp washers, and can only be eliminated by doing an overseas delivery where you can pick apart most of the packages ala carte

Re: Things We Like That We Thought We Would Hate (webpj)

The headlamp washers are REALLY helpful here in Colorado. They spray the roads with Mag-Cloride before storms, then there's all the melting snow. Everyone's car is filthy most of the Winter. The car that we keep up in the mountans (an Explorer) doesn't have them and we constantly have to wipe them off with a towel before going out at night.

And no, I'm not overly lazy about keeping my cars clean, out here its not worth washing your car for long stretches sometimes because the roads can be wet for days or weeks.

Aha, a filter makes sense. I couldn't figure out how something could sense bad smells and slam the vents.

Here in California, most cars have good exhaust, but the old ones smell bad. The out-of-state cars often have different smog systems and smell bad. Diesels, of course, are a whole different story.

Over the years, I've gotten really good at anticipating when to engage the recirculate mode. I'll spot an old pickup truck a mile ahead and know to go to recirc as I approach. Maybe it's the large tailpipe on some newer truck that gives it away. Maybe a car with fins.

It'll be nice not having to manage that manually.

I thought I mentioned the reverse sensor in this thread. Maybe I did somewhere else. Anyway, that is one thing that I like that I thought I'd really hate. I only agreed to get it when my sales guy assured me that it could be turned off. Turns out its great for parallel parking.

19. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements