Hard downshift
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hard downshift

Hard downshift

So I am driving in regular mode and it seems like the car downshifts pretty harsh into 2nd gear(around 20-25 MPH). It does it about 75% of the time or so. Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

need more info. what year,model and mileage?

2012 S60 T5, 1200 miles

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

My RD does the same thing.
      2012 Volvo s60 R Design - Black Sapphire Metallic - PCC, Multimedia & Climate

There is a harder downshift in these cars, but check with your dealer for any updates to the TCM (Transmission Control Module). There have a been at least a couple of TCM updates released that improved the downshift to second to some degree.
      2011 S60 T6 AWD - Ember Black, Off Black, Climate, Premium, Technology and Multimedia packages, PCC, Polestar, Sport Pedals, Load Bars/Bike Racks, Cargo Mat/Nets, R-Design Rear Diffuser, Strut Tower Brace, Springs and shocks, IPD Rear Swaybar, 50% Tint, LED Conversion
      2006 V50 T5 AWD - Barrent's Blue, Black Interior, Premium and Climate packages, IPD Skidplate, IPD HD Endlinks, Viva Rear Swaybar, EST Strut Tower Brace, LED Conversion

My car was delivered 10/27 and I have not experienced harsh downshifts during the first 500 miles of use. I'm assuming this car was new enough that all current updates were done, either at the factory or by the dealer, before I took delivery.
      Stan
      In the White Mountains of northern New Hampshire
      2012 Volvo S60 R-Design; Passion Red, Climate and BLIS
      2013 Porsche Boxster S (981 S), Platinum Silver, 6 speed manual, 20" Carrera S wheels

Correct. Your dealer should have performed all available updates prior to delivering the car. I didn't notice the harder downshift until about 3500-4000 miles and it only occurs at really low speed after leaving the interstate or road with a similar speed. The behavior makes me believe it is simply the adaptive nature of the transmission. I don't really find it bothersome though.
      2011 S60 T6 AWD - Ember Black, Off Black, Climate, Premium, Technology and Multimedia packages, PCC, Polestar, Sport Pedals, Load Bars/Bike Racks, Cargo Mat/Nets, R-Design Rear Diffuser, Strut Tower Brace, Springs and shocks, IPD Rear Swaybar, 50% Tint, LED Conversion
      2006 V50 T5 AWD - Barrent's Blue, Black Interior, Premium and Climate packages, IPD Skidplate, IPD HD Endlinks, Viva Rear Swaybar, EST Strut Tower Brace, LED Conversion

My S60 T6 does the same thing - I've got 8500 miles on mine now, and I'm pretty sure it's the same as it was at delivery. Like you seaton463 - It's not horrible, but I notice when trying to pull up to a light smoothly it's a little harsh when it downshifts into second. I just had my 7500 mile service, and ass-u-me the dealer performed any available updates. I'll have to check with them to see now.
      __________________________________________________ ___________________
      2012 S60 T6 AWD, Ice White/Beechwood Leather
      w/Premium, Climate, Multimedia, Urbane Wood via Volvo OSD

Is there a way for us to check these TCM updates ourselves? It seems that Canada isn't getting any updates whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
      Is there a way for us to check these TCM updates ourselves? It seems that Canada isn't getting any updates whatsoever.
      Not correct, my dealer in Calgary checks and installs any updates whenever the car goes in. When I got my S60 it didn't have sport mode. After a visit to the dealer, for a door lock issue, I was told an update had been installed and I then had sport mode. I don't recall the exact number but I would guess about 5-6 updates of various modules have been installed. I believe they're all listed on the work receipts including part numbers. The item descriptions are usually pretty cryptic and won't tell you what the update really does.
      2018 XC60 T8 eAWD Inscription|| Fusion Red /Maroon Brown Leather
      2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design Platinum || Rebel Blue / Leather - SOLD
      2011 S60 T6 AWD || Ember Black - SOLD
      2011 C30 T5 R-Design || Orange Flame / Off Black Leather/Flex-tec Polestar Tune

Quote Originally Posted by mrcandy View Post
      Not correct, my dealer in Calgary checks and installs any updates whenever the car goes in. When I got my S60 it didn't have sport mode. After a visit to the dealer, for a door lock issue, I was told an update had been installed and I then had sport mode. I don't recall the exact number but I would guess about 5-6 updates of various modules have been installed. I believe they're all listed on the work receipts including part numbers. The item descriptions are usually pretty cryptic and won't tell you what the update really does.
      I gave my VIN to Volvo Cars of Canada and the guy I spoke with said there were no updates whatsoever. Reason I e-mailed them was for my sunroof issue. I got my car in June/July 2011, so assuming updates came out since then, I haven't gotten a single TCM/Sensus/ECU update. It sounded like he didn't know half of what I was saying though...

I gave my VIN to Volvo Cars of Canada and the guy I spoke with said there were no updates whatsoever. Reason I e-mailed them was for my sunroof issue. I got my car in June/July 2011, so assuming updates came out since then, I haven't gotten a single TCM/Sensus/ECU update. It sounded like he didn't know half of what I was saying though...
      Do you have sport mode on the transmission? What about MyPOI in Sensus (if you have the nav package)?

Both of those came out as updates after June/July and are easy for the user to check.
      2018 XC60 T8 eAWD Inscription|| Fusion Red /Maroon Brown Leather
      2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design Platinum || Rebel Blue / Leather - SOLD
      2011 S60 T6 AWD || Ember Black - SOLD
      2011 C30 T5 R-Design || Orange Flame / Off Black Leather/Flex-tec Polestar Tune

Mine does the rough shift at times.I just got a tcm update done today. we'll see if there are any shift changes. i too was getting a harsh downshift. p.s the s/w part number is 30788938.
      2006 Volvo xc90 t5-awd
      2009 Volvo c30 r-design-wife's
      2012 Volvo s60 r-design-Sold!!
      2009 Crown Vic Police Interceptor-sold

Quote Originally Posted by baggerben View Post
      Mine does the rough shift at times.I just got a tcm update done today. we'll see if there are any shift changes. i too was getting a harsh downshift. p.s the s/w part number is 30788938.
      It seems to have made my shifts softer,and in sport mode the car seems to be lacking the "pep" it used to. Maybe with more miles on it it will get better. Before when you put the car in sport mode the car almost jumped and took off, now it just seems less in a hurry......
      2006 Volvo xc90 t5-awd

Quote Originally Posted by baggerben View Post
      It seems to have made my shifts softer,and in sport mode the car seems to be lacking the "pep" it used to. Maybe with more miles on it it will get better. Before when you put the car in sport mode the car almost jumped and took off, now it just seems less in a hurry......
      That might be the adaptive software adapting to your driving habits. But then again, it hasn't adapted to mine I think. Still feels the same as since I first got the car.

Hey baggerben and geokilla, what do you guys think about the upshifts in the T5 S60? I can't seem to get the hang of it. Really its first gear to second. Some days it feels fine and controllable. Some days it feels like the car is lacking power and then other days it feels so jumpy and confused at what to do. I have 4500 miles on the car and nothing in the acceleration seems consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffocd View Post
      Hey baggerben and geokilla, what do you guys think about the upshifts in the T5 S60? I can't seem to get the hang of it. Really its first gear to second. Some days it feels fine and controllable. Some days it feels like the car is lacking power and then other days it feels so jumpy and confused at what to do. I have 4500 miles on the car and nothing in the acceleration seems consistent.
      The first gear throttle tip in is really jumpy for me as well. Most of the time I'll get a power and RPM surge in first then power drops off in 2nd and onwards. Compared to my S70 where I know exactly how much power I am getting and when to expect an upshift, the S60's transmission can use a software update in D mode. There's no such problem in Sport mode iirc, but I'm not gonna drive around in Sport mode. Waste of gas. Sport mode also doesn't seem to upshift to 5th and 6th if you're starting from a dead stop.

I do notice that the software hesitates to upshift. Some like the feature for additional engine braking, I personally don't. Say I'm accelerating from stop to 70Km/h, then cruise, the transmission will stay in 5th for a good 5 to 10 seconds before shifting to 6th. Again, a software thing.

The first gear throttle tip in is really jumpy for me as well. Most of the time I'll get a power and RPM surge in first then power drops off in 2nd and onwards. Compared to my S70 where I know exactly how much power I am getting and when to expect an upshift, the S60's transmission can use a software update in D mode. There's no such problem in Sport mode iirc, but I'm not gonna drive around in Sport mode. Waste of gas. Sport mode also doesn't seem to upshift to 5th and 6th if you're starting from a dead stop.

I do notice that the software hesitates to upshift. Some like the feature for additional engine braking, I personally don't. Say I'm accelerating from stop to 70Km/h, then cruise, the transmission will stay in 5th for a good 5 to 10 seconds before shifting to 6th. Again, a software thing.
      the software that was installed does away with extra engine braking,i think it may also help with reduced oil consumption? the trans in sport mode still seems lazy? put over 100 miles with it so far...
      2006 Volvo xc90 t5-awd

So I went to my dealer and had them check this out along with a wind noise issue when the sunroof is tilted. They found the TSB for the windnoise fix(had to order plugs, getting it installed next week). However, for the harsh downshift issue, the technician said there were no available TCM updates. I unfortunately did not have the inclination to show him this thread but took him at his word. Besides, there actually wasn't any harsh downshifts for the two days leading up to the car going in to the dealer. However, the harsh downshifting is now back and usually sticks around for a good 30-40 minutes of driving until it minimizes.

Baggerben, I noticed you have an r-design that you got the TCM update on. I have just a T5. Anybody else have the T5 and get this TCM upgrade? Anyone else notice the hard downshifting?

Ive got hard downshifting as well. Went in for software upgrades and all software was checked and up to date. I also did a proper tranny flush and fill. it helped a little but came back within 1000 miles.
      OLD: 05 S40 T5 AWD AW55 Black 130,000 miles Blown head gasket and TQ converter, "Elevate Intake", Magnaflow muffler, 100 cpi race cat, ipd coils, 18in pegs, VIVA CBV, Thule rack, swedespeed sticker, LED running/license plate lights and halo rings up front, front strut tower brace, MS3 rear sway bar, DRT Sport rotors and pads, Eibach lowering springs, Snabb TCV, Phuzzy Intercooler. NOW:2014 Ford Focus ST3 in Tangerine Scream

I just started noticing a more jerky downshift from either 5-4 or 4-3 (haven't determined which one it is). It just started for me two days ago. I managed to find this on the volvotechinfo.com website:

Harsh 5-4 downshift and/or rough engagement at standstill
      Item: TJ25994-2012-03-13 Page Count: 3

Anyone have an idea what this document says? Anyone have the authority to view it without having to pay for it?
      Steve
      Current: 2016 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Platinum
      Bright Silver Metallic exterior, Off-Black interior

Previous: 2012 Volvo S60 T5
      Vibrant Copper exterior, Beechwood Brown/Off-black interior
      Premium, Climate, and Multimedia Packages; Rear Entertainment, Xenons, PCC, Njord Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by djstorm View Post
      I just started noticing a more jerky downshift from either 5-4 or 4-3 (haven't determined which one it is). It just started for me two days ago. I managed to find this on the volvotechinfo.com website:

Harsh 5-4 downshift and/or rough engagement at standstill
      Item: TJ25994-2012-03-13 Page Count: 3

Anyone have an idea what this document says? Anyone have the authority to view it without having to pay for it?

Looks to be a Technical Service Bulletin (whatever that means)

Volvo S60 2012 bulletins Bulletin Bulletin date Replacement Bulletin Item no. Summary Added POWER TRAIN - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION TJ-25994 03/13/2012 10043564 Volvo: when shifting from 5th to 4th gear, with automatic transmission, vehicle feels like it is jerking or harsh shifting. *pe 2012-04-10

Read more: http://www.faqs.org/car/volvo-s60-20...#ixzz1t9Kx7FFX
      2017 XC90 T6 R-Design (Bursting Blue Metallic) Bowers & Wilkins, Carbon Fiber Inlays, Climate, Convenience, Vision l Air Susp l Polestar
      Summer Performance: 22" alloy wheels (5-double spoke, matte black), Winter A/S: 20" alloy wheels (5-spoke, matte black)
      Previous: 2012 S60 T6 R-Design

Can anyone find and post the full TSB to this thread or send me a PM?

I had the update applied a week ago during our S60's first service. Funny thing is that I'd never noticed it until I was on my way to the dealership and was exiting a highway. The transmission downshifted really hard as I coasted around the offramp.

The mechanic said that he had experienced rough downshifts while testing cars and said that they generally don't do anything unless the customer mentioned it.

Anyway, not much to add other than I was in the service bay when the update was being applied. It was a fairly small update (
      2012 S60 T6▐ Electric Silver with Sport Appearance Package▐ Off Black/Anthracite with Urbane Wood Inlays▐ Premium/Climate/Technology/Multimedia▐ BLIS ▐ Front Blind View ▐ Front and Rear Park Assist▐ PCC▐ Trunk Spoiler▐ 4C▐ Port installed spare and trunk mat.

Quote Originally Posted by meltdowndave View Post
      I had the update applied a week ago during our S60's first service. Funny thing is that I'd never noticed it until I was on my way to the dealership and was exiting a highway. The transmission downshifted really hard as I coasted around the offramp.

The mechanic said that he had experienced rough downshifts while testing cars and said that they generally don't do anything unless the customer mentioned it.

Anyway, not much to add other than I was in the service bay when the update was being applied. It was a fairly small update (
      How is it post update? Do you have the update number or anything like that?

How is it post update? Do you have the update number or anything like that?
      I'm probably the last person you'd want to ask, but it seems ok.

We primarily use the car for weekend highway trips...and not many of those lately. Mostly, then, the car is pointed down the highway with ACC engaged. I do very little coasting around curves or other situations where one's apt to experience this hard downshift. This is probably why it took me so long to notice it the first time. Even then, I only mentioned to the service rep as an afterthought.
      2012 S60 T6▐ Electric Silver with Sport Appearance Package▐ Off Black/Anthracite with Urbane Wood Inlays▐ Premium/Climate/Technology/Multimedia▐ BLIS ▐ Front Blind View ▐ Front and Rear Park Assist▐ PCC▐ Trunk Spoiler▐ 4C▐ Port installed spare and trunk mat.

I'm quite irritated...

I had to cancel my service appointment due to work issues last Friday with Barrington Volvo (where I bought my car and have had excellent customer service) regarding my abrupt/hard downshifts that have developed over the last 1,000 miles. Since I was visiting family in Wisconsin over the weekend, I decided that since I was in the Appleton, WI area, I'd take my car over to Bergstrom Volvo of Appleton to have them take a look at it and hopefully cure the problem. I took the car over to them yesterday morning at 9am.

Bryan M. was my service advisor and he said he could squeeze me in during the morning. After waiting for more than 2.5 hours in their waiting room (surrounded by Jags, Range Rovers, Porsches, Fiskers and Volvos - not a bad place to spend a few hours working!), Bryan came back to tell me that:

- the TSB that I mentioned about this condition was only for the XC90 with the GM transmission (???????????)

- it was shifting that way because "of the 5-cylinder engine setup". Again, ???????????

- that this kind of shifting was "normal"

- if the transmission control module were to be reflashed now, it would damage the transmission. And I say again, ?????????????

I feel like I was given the runaround by this dealership just to get me out of their hair. I'm quite disappointed in their service. The car continues to shift abruptly from 5 to 4.

First, can anyone tell me if the TSB I referred to (TJ-25994-2012-03-13) is for the S60? Then, can anyone with familiarity with this transmission tell me if this condition is normal? And finally, has anyone else had this problem and, if so, was it corrected and how was it corrected? I don't want my tranny damaged because of negligence on the dealer's part...
      Steve

Premium, Climate, and Multimedia Packages; Rear Entertainment, Xenons, PCC, Njord Wheels

According to Volvo's bookstore it applies to the S60.

https://www.volvotechinfo.com/index....=service,parts

I think Volvo really needs new procedures for informing their dealers about software updates. Twice I'VE had to show the dealer the software updates that would fix my problems. I had the same issue with VW. It seems service advisers/technicians do not consult these TSBs, TB, TJs or what they call them. It seems they only plug the car into a computer and expect the computer to tell them what is wrong. When that fails the condition is 'normal'.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

Quote Originally Posted by djstorm View Post
      I'm quite irritated...

I had to cancel my service appointment due to work issues last Friday with Barrington Volvo (where I bought my car and have had excellent customer service) regarding my abrupt/hard downshifts that have developed over the last 1,000 miles. Since I was visiting family in Wisconsin over the weekend, I decided that since I was in the Appleton, WI area, I'd take my car over to Bergstrom Volvo of Appleton to have them take a look at it and hopefully cure the problem. I took the car over to them yesterday morning at 9am.

Bryan M. was my service advisor and he said he could squeeze me in during the morning. After waiting for more than 2.5 hours in their waiting room (surrounded by Jags, Range Rovers, Porsches, Fiskers and Volvos - not a bad place to spend a few hours working!), Bryan came back to tell me that:

- the TSB that I mentioned about this condition was only for the XC90 with the GM transmission (???????????)

- it was shifting that way because "of the 5-cylinder engine setup". Again, ???????????

- that this kind of shifting was "normal"

- if the transmission control module were to be reflashed now, it would damage the transmission. And I say again, ?????????????

I feel like I was given the runaround by this dealership just to get me out of their hair. I'm quite disappointed in their service. The car continues to shift abruptly from 5 to 4.

First, can anyone tell me if the TSB I referred to (TJ-25994-2012-03-13) is for the S60? Then, can anyone with familiarity with this transmission tell me if this condition is normal? And finally, has anyone else had this problem and, if so, was it corrected and how was it corrected? I don't want my tranny damaged because of negligence on the dealer's part...
      File a complaint to customer relations. Don't expect to get anything done though.
      Last edited by geokilla; 05-08-2012 at 12:55 PM.

Same experience here, djstorm. So far I have now had 2 dealers refuse to perform the update and I'm frustrated too. Next step is calling VCNA. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for an update, and I'm quite annoyed that the answer I keep getting is "Well sir, there are no codes, ergo there are no problems!"
      2000 V70 R| 2011 S60 T6 Polestar AWD *SOLD*

I hesitate to say my issue is going to be fixed but here's where I'm at.

1. The TSB TJ-25994 is the correct TSB for S60 the T5 engine(B5254T5). It actually dates back to the 2011 model year too. I went ahead and followed the link, www.volvotechinfo.com and searched "downshift." It then came up with the TJ-25994 TSB. I went ahead and paid the $6 for it and I'm glad I did. It matches up to exactly the issue of the harsh downshift from 5th gear to 4th. It gives step by step instructions as to what the dealer is supposed to do to fix it. The first thing you need to look for is the TCM part number, which is under the hood towards the right side of the engine bay. If it reads 30751946 or 31342781, then the dealer needs to order a new TCM(part #31312609) before they apply any updates.

2. For an explanation as to why they hadn't caught this TSB on my previous two trips, they came back and told me some BS story about how the TCM I had in my car was up-to-date with its software but that I needed the new TCM to fix my issue and when they searched for it, no software updates came up. I found it a little hard to believe that I could surf the internet for 15 minutes and find something that they should have immediate access to. The dealer had to call Volvo of North America to run the TSB by them. After about an hour, they came back and told me that they would need to order the new TCM and it should be all set in 2 days. Went back in 2 days and now they tell me that the part is on back order and I should expect this to be done in about 1-2 weeks. Again it's strange how an issue they couldn't find the previous two times I was there all of sudden is on back order.

So I'm hesitate to say the issue is going to be fixed because strange things happen when the dealers get their hands on your car. I'm update again if/when everything gets completed.

As a side note, my steering wheel was shaking during braking and they replaced the front rotors on the car as they had somehow become untrue or warped....at 6800 miles. Hope these things aren't signs of what is in store for me in the future with the car.

Send me a personal message if you want more info on the TSB. I'm not going to post it because there is a disclaimer on the volvotechinfo site about distributing the document that they made you read twice before they send it to you.

Sorry I haven't posted an update on this but I wanted to give this thing a full 1-2 weeks to kick in before posting. I think I can say that the TSB worked. Again it is TJ-25994. It calls for a new TCM and then some software updates to this new TCM. For the first few days the car was very sketchy and was very jumpy going in and out of shifts. However, Volvo warned me that this would happen and explained that it would become more fluid in the 2-3 days following the work as the new TCM learned my driving habits. At this point in time(about 2 weeks) since the fix, the downshift issue has seemed to disappear. Also, the car seems a bit quicker than before, both in drive and sport mode. Not sure if in fact it is better acceleration or not but it seems to be a bit more responsive on the throttle. The gas mileage is the same, if not better, but I doubt the fix has anything to do with that.

So, if you are having the 5 to 4 downshift issue, tell your local dealer about this fix. You can also purchase it for $6 on Volvo's tech site to bring to them. I'm glad I did because they would have never found it and it took 3 trips to get this figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffocd View Post
      Sorry I haven't posted an update on this but I wanted to give this thing a full 1-2 weeks to kick in before posting. I think I can say that the TSB worked. Again it is TJ-25994. It calls for a new TCM and then some software updates to this new TCM. For the first few days the car was very sketchy and was very jumpy going in and out of shifts. However, Volvo warned me that this would happen and explained that it would become more fluid in the 2-3 days following the work as the new TCM learned my driving habits. At this point in time(about 2 weeks) since the fix, the downshift issue has seemed to disappear. Also, the car seems a bit quicker than before, both in drive and sport mode. Not sure if in fact it is better acceleration or not but it seems to be a bit more responsive on the throttle. The gas mileage is the same, if not better, but I doubt the fix has anything to do with that.

So, if you are having the 5 to 4 downshift issue, tell your local dealer about this fix. You can also purchase it for $6 on Volvo's tech site to bring to them. I'm glad I did because they would have never found it and it took 3 trips to get this figured out.
      Same experience here. Had it done last week. Shifts have become progressively smoother over the last 3 days. To me, though, the responsiveness seems to be the same.

Keep in mind, though, that not all of the T5s will receive a new TCM module. There's a specific S/N that is required in order for the TCM module to be replaced. Mine happened to be the correct TCM module, so I only needed the software update.

Either way, get the TSB done. It's a good fix!!
      Steve

Got my TCM software update today. Feels like nothing's changed.... No rough or harsh shifting during my 15 minute drive home from the dealer. Of course, there's that 5 to 4 downshift that's rough, but other than that, let's see what happens when I report back next week.

I'll be editing this post if no one posts after me.

Btw it only took me, I believe, three tries to get the TCM update. First two were when there was no TCM update available.

VCNA gave me a whole new transmission and TCM after 6500 miles. I was getting a really bad bang when downshifting around 30mph. The REP came out, hooked a computer up to my car, drove it around and took it back to HQ. A few days later he told my dealer to order a whole new tranny, which comes with the latest TCM (not just software, but new hardware). I'm happy to say that with 11,000 miles on the clock, that my transmission is flawless and feels different.
      2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design - Passion Red/Off Black [HIS] - Platinum/Tech/Climate/19" IxionII, Polestar Winglets, IPD Catback Exhaust, IPD Rear Sway Bar, 15mm Spacers and KN Filter.
      2019 XC60 T6 AWD Inscription - Crystal White/Charcoal [HERS] - Nappa Leather w/Massage/Advanced/Heated Steering & Rear Seats/Sport Steering Wheel & Charcoal Headliner/20" Wheels
      ​Past: 1994 940Turbo/2004 S40LSE/2007 S60R/2010 Mazda 3/2012 S60RD/2013 S60T5AWD/2016 XC60T6AWD

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast