ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control)
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control)

Anyone have it installed? Does it work from 0-124 mph like the brochure says it does?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

not sure if you can order it as a standalone or you have to order it as part of the technology package, I would love to have that actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggersan View Post
      not sure if you can order it as a standalone or you have to order it as part of the technology package, I would love to have that actually.
      I think it is part of tech package and not a standalone........................

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by montgom View Post
      Anyone have it installed? Does it work from 0-124 mph like the brochure says it does?

Yes and yes. The best package Volvo offers. I will never buy another car without AAC and Collision Warning with Full Auto Brake.
      Here is some info. http://experiencevolvo.com/2011/06/s...ology-package/
      2018 XC60 T8 R-Design / Osmium Grey Metallic / Convenience / Vision / Advanced / Bowers and Wilkins / 4-Corner Air / Heated Front Seats and Steering Wheel
      Decommissioned at 57k miles - 2016 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription / Osmium Grey Metallic / 21" 8-Spoke Diamond Cut Wheels / Charcoal Ventilated Perforated Leather / Charcoal Headliner / Climate / Convenience / Vision / CarPlay / Protection Plus / Polestar+
      Traded In at 161k miles - 2011.5 XC60 T6 R-Design AWD / Cosmic White / Off Black Leather w/ Beige / Polestar / Fully Loaded

I knew someone will ask so I tested the 124mph ACC figure : link here
      I use ACC on highways and stop-go traffic. It's amazing and never did anything remotely fishy.

ACC is an awesome feature to have and I don't regret getting the technology package.

However, our highways and interstates in WV can be steep and/or curvy. Occasionally, I'll be in the left lane ready to overtake a truck as we head into a curve. ACC thinks the truck is pulling into my lane and slams *hard* on the brakes. It's not exactly something you want to happen with people tailgating you.

To be fair to Volvo, the car is looking down the road and acts appropriately within the parameters it was designed to monitor. I don't know how one could alter the system to account for situations like this.
      2012 S60 T6▐ Electric Silver with Sport Appearance Package▐ Off Black/Anthracite with Urbane Wood Inlays▐ Premium/Climate/Technology/Multimedia▐ BLIS ▐ Front Blind View ▐ Front and Rear Park Assist▐ PCC▐ Trunk Spoiler▐ 4C▐ Port installed spare and trunk mat.

Quote Originally Posted by meltdowndave View Post
      ACC is an awesome feature to have and I don't regret getting the technology package.

However, our highways and interstates in WV can be steep and/or curvy. Occasionally, I'll be in the left lane ready to overtake a truck as we head into a curve. ACC thinks the truck is pulling into my lane and slams *hard* on the brakes. It's not exactly something you want to happen with people tailgating you.

To be fair to Volvo, the car is looking down the road and acts appropriately within the parameters it was designed to monitor. I don't know how one could alter the system to account for situations like this.
      I think that once you get to "know" the system a bit you can anticipate the situations where it would behave differently than "normal"
      Unfortunately I don't think there's any way of modifying the system to take this situation into account. I don't think it has a "map" of where each vehicle is (which would allow it to correctly asses your situation), but acts more like a distance gauge from the grill to x meters in front of the car.

I do know what you mean though and but nowadays I just gently override when I see it starting to brake.
      Last edited by stormlv; 12-27-2011 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazx83 View Post
      Yes and yes. The best package Volvo offers. I will never buy another car without AAC and Collision Warning with Full Auto Brake.
      That is a great endorsement!

To follow up on the links above, here's an official video from Volvo showing ACC operate at speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFreyIlWBnM
      2012 S60 T6▐ Electric Silver with Sport Appearance Package▐ Off Black/Anthracite with Urbane Wood Inlays▐ Premium/Climate/Technology/Multimedia▐ BLIS ▐ Front Blind View ▐ Front and Rear Park Assist▐ PCC▐ Trunk Spoiler▐ 4C▐ Port installed spare and trunk mat.

Great explanation on the Tech package safety features.

Quote Originally Posted by stormlv View Post
      I think that once you get to "know" the system a bit you can anticipate the situations where it would behave differently than "normal"
      Unfortunately I don't think there's any way of modifying the system to take this situation into account. I don't think it has a "map" of where each vehicle is (which would allow it to correctly asses your situation), but *acts more like a distance gauge from the grill to x meters in front of the car.

I do know what you mean though and but nowadays I just gently override when I see it starting to brake.

I drive a ton 28,000mi since May and I use AAC 75% of the time from NYC traffic to mountain driving. For the best experience you must pay attention to cars cutting you off, pulling out or exiting the roadway. You get used to how the system operates and when you see a situation like that all you have to do is lightly press the accelerator and then AAC will ignore car ahead and for some reason you get extremely close the heads up LED warning and alert sound will alert you and if you still don't respond the car will brake automatically.
      2018 XC60 T8 R-Design / Osmium Grey Metallic / Convenience / Vision / Advanced / Bowers and Wilkins / 4-Corner Air / Heated Front Seats and Steering Wheel
      Decommissioned at 57k miles - 2016 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription / Osmium Grey Metallic / 21" 8-Spoke Diamond Cut Wheels / Charcoal Ventilated Perforated Leather / Charcoal Headliner / Climate / Convenience / Vision / CarPlay / Protection Plus / Polestar+
      Traded In at 161k miles - 2011.5 XC60 T6 R-Design AWD / Cosmic White / Off Black Leather w/ Beige / Polestar / Fully Loaded

I drive a ton 28,000mi since May and I use AAC 75% of the time from NYC traffic to mountain driving. For the best experience you must pay attention to cars cutting you off, pulling out or exiting the roadway. You get used to how the system operates and when you see a situation like that all you have to do is lightly press the accelerator and then AAC will ignore car ahead and for some reason you get extremely close the heads up LED warning and alert sound will alert you and if you still don't respond the car will brake automatically.
      Wonder if my car insurance will give me a discount? Seems reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by meltdowndave View Post
      Not a great endorsement for ACC. I notice the same limitation with BLIS on a curve. It actually detects the car in my lane behind me. I'm surprised ACC performs this badly on curves. The system is suppose to be aware of lanes, to let you know when your leaving one. This situation is down right dangerous. Suppose someone was following too close or just changed lanes behind you. That driver would not expect the car in front with no traffic ahead at highways speed to be slamming on the brakes! At least with BLIS you just get a false warning. Erratic behavior when controlling a vehicle is unacceptable IMHO. I don't think computers controlling vehicles is quite there yet..
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

I love ACC and would never consider buying a car without it. That said, there are a couple of quirks in its operation that require some attention on the part of the driver:

1. At highway speeds, when the car ahead is turning right onto a cloverleaf exit and slowing down to ramp speed, ACC continues to monitor the slowing car and slows your car abruptly as well, even though your experience tells you that the car will be out of your path before you get to that point and there is no chance of a collision. You have to learn to override the ACC preemptively by lightly touching the accelerator pedal.

2. When driving in Canada, it is very difficult to set the ACC accurately to speed limits in kilometres per hour, as it wants to adjust your speed to the nearest 5 mile per hour increment. It would be nice if the ACC calibration would adjust to 5 kilometre increments when you select the digital k/h readout in the middle of the speedometer or else provide a Sensus menu option to make the adjustment, but I guess that would have been too much to hope for.
      Current: 2020 V60 T5 FWD, Denim Blue/Blonde, Momentum, Multimedia, Premium, Advanced, Heated Seats & Steering Wheel, 19" Five Spoke Cut Rims
      Current: 2018 V90 T5 FWD, Mussel Blue/Charcoal, Inscription, Dark Flame Birch, Convenience, no B&W, HUD, Leather Dash, Black Headliner, Heated Steering Wheel
      Past: 2017 S90 T5 FWD;2 x 2015.5 V60 Drive-E T5 FWD; 2012 XC70 T6 AWD; 2012 S60 T5; 2010 V70 3.2; 2008 S40 T5; 2007 V50 T5
      First: 1981 245 DL

This is the only option I didn't get. Electronic aids are not ready from primetime IMO. They also take away the driving in driving experience. The dealer wasn't an advocate for this package either.

As always, YMMV
      2012 Volvo s60 R Design - Black Sapphire Metallic - PCC, Multimedia & Climate

Quote Originally Posted by ecoDrive View Post
      Not a great endorsement for ACC. I notice the same limitation with BLIS on a curve. It actually detects the car in my lane behind me. I'm surprised ACC performs this badly on curves. The system is suppose to be aware of lanes, to let you know when your leaving one. This situation is down right dangerous. Suppose someone was following too close or just changed lanes behind you. That driver would not expect the car in front with no traffic ahead at highways speed to be slamming on the brakes! At least with BLIS you just get a false warning. Erratic behavior when controlling a vehicle is unacceptable IMHO. I don't think computers controlling vehicles is quite there yet..
      It's supposed to be "cruise" control not an auto-pilot. If someone's following too close and rear ends you it's his fault.
      And ACC does not "slam" on the brakes. I think you're confusing it with collision avoidance... Braking (if indeed it occurs) is smooth enough to give you time to override without any significant vehicle speed loss.
      I'm almost up to 20k KM driven in my car and I've never had ACC do anything close to putting either me or anybody else in danger.
      I drove from Switzerland to Romania and back, almost 3700km out of which ~70% was with ACC. Not one time did I noticed any erratic behavior.
      Last edited by stormlv; 12-28-2011 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by volvobuff View Post
      2. When driving in Canada, it is very difficult to set the ACC accurately to speed limits in kilometres per hour, as it wants to adjust your speed to the nearest 5 mile per hour increment. It would be nice if the ACC calibration would adjust to 5 kilometre increments when you select the digital k/h readout in the middle of the speedometer or else provide a Sensus menu option to make the adjustment, but I guess that would have been too much to hope for.
      Just to understand, you have the digital readout in km/h, and the ACC increments are in mph?
      If so, that's lame...

I love ACC and would never consider buying a car without it. That said, there are a couple of quirks in its operation that require some attention on the part of the driver:

1. At highway speeds, when the car ahead is turning right onto a cloverleaf exit and slowing down to ramp speed, ACC continues to monitor the slowing car and slows your car abruptly as well, even though your experience tells you that the car will be out of your path before you get to that point and there is no chance of a collision. You have to learn to override the ACC preemptively by lightly touching the accelerator pedal.
      I also have ACC and it was one of the options I was specifically looking for when selecting a new car. It does a fantastic job and has met all my expectations. Volvobuff's description above is the only 'quirk' I've experienced. Just as with a normal cruise control the driver must still pay attention at all times. I have never had the ACC 'slam' on the brakes. You will learn to predict when the above situation is about to occur, and as Volvobuff said a light application of throttle will override ACC and keep you going.

Mine is a Canadian spec vehicle, so main (analog) speedo is in kph, and DIM (digital) speedo is in mph. My ACC is set in kph and bumps up and down in 5 kph steps. I assume that Volvobuff's car is US spec, so his ACC is set in mph, but he visits Canada and then wants to set it in kph. I would presumably have the same problem in reverse if I visit the US and I want to set the ACC in mph.

There is a way to change the ACC set speed in smaller increments - once the ACC system is active the circular arrow key (resume) will increase the set speed by 1 mph(or kph). So set the ACC to the nearest 5 mph below the limit, then use resume a few times to get to the nearest 1 mph above or below the limit.
      2018 XC60 T8 eAWD Inscription|| Fusion Red /Maroon Brown Leather
      2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design Platinum || Rebel Blue / Leather - SOLD
      2011 S60 T6 AWD || Ember Black - SOLD
      2011 C30 T5 R-Design || Orange Flame / Off Black Leather/Flex-tec Polestar Tune

Quote Originally Posted by stormlv View Post
      It's supposed to be "cruise" control not an auto-pilot. If someone's following too close and rear ends you it's his fault.
      excellent point. It is a cruise control.

I love ACC and would never consider buying a car without it. 1. At highway speeds, when the car ahead is turning right onto a cloverleaf exit and slowing down to ramp speed, ACC continues to monitor the slowing car and slows your car abruptly as well, even though your experience tells you that the car will be out of your path before you get to that point and there is no chance of a collision. You have to learn to override the ACC preemptively by lightly touching the accelerator pedal.
      I just always assumed i would tap the brakes to override?

I just always assumed i would tap the brakes to override?
      In some cases yes, but remember ACC itself does both acceleration and braking. If you want to override it accelerating and slow down you would tap the brakes per normal. If you want to override the ACC braking, per the original example, then you use slight pressure on the accelerator.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcandy View Post
      In some cases yes, but remember ACC itself does both acceleration and braking. If you want to override it accelerating and slow down you would tap the brakes per normal. If you want to override the ACC braking, per the original example, then you use slight pressure on the accelerator.
      Cool! So either brake or accelerator will override the ACC. Good information! Do you have to reset the ACC once the go pedal or brake touched?

Cool! So either brake or accelerator will override the ACC. Good information! Do you have to reset the ACC once the go pedal or brake touched?
      If you push the brake to counter an ACC acceleration, the ACC will go into "stand-by" mode. You then have to resume it from the button on the steering wheel.
      If you accelerate to counter an ACC break, it won't go into stand-by mode and it will just resume normal speed when you release the pedal.
      If, however you keep accelerating over the ACC set speed for more than a minute, the system will beep and put the ACC on stand-by, just like when you brake.
      Last edited by stormlv; 12-28-2011 at 07:17 PM.

stand alone

If you do the overseas delivery of your Volvo, you can break the packages up and do not have to buy the whole thing. I love my ACC and the entire Technology package. Matter of fact, I am in a rental car on vacation and it is throwing me off when there is a car approaching and it doesn't slow down.

REally is an awesome feature.

I also have ACC and it was one of the options I was specifically looking for when selecting a new car. It does a fantastic job and has met all my expectations. Volvobuff's description above is the only 'quirk' I've experienced. Just as with a normal cruise control the driver must still pay attention at all times. I have never had the ACC 'slam' on the brakes. You will learn to predict when the above situation is about to occur, and as Volvobuff said a light application of throttle will override ACC and keep you going.
      The first couple of times this happened, it was decidedly disconcerting, as the ACC slows you down very quickly and drastically as you approach the exiting vehicle. As you said, the trick is to act preemptively.

Mine is a Canadian spec vehicle, so main (analog) speedo is in kph, and DIM (digital) speedo is in mph. My ACC is set in kph and bumps up and down in 5 kph steps. I assume that Volvobuff's car is US spec, so his ACC is set in mph, but he visits Canada and then wants to set it in kph.
      That's right. Sorry I didn't make it clear that my car is US spec.

I would presumably have the same problem in reverse if I visit the US and I want to set the ACC in mph.
      That's probably right. However, when you cross the border, you are in for a neat little surprise: at the exact spot where I crossed from Maine into New Brunswick (the GPS is damned accurate), before I even got to customs, the Nav system played a little fanfare and threw up a splash screen with the Canadian flag and the message "Welcome to Canada". Everything but a chorus of "O Canada." And I got the American flag and "Welcome to the United States" message when I crossed back. I wonder how many countries this feature supports. Any Southwesterners visited Mexico lately? If I cross from Vermont to Québec, I wonder if the splash screen would be in French?

There is a way to change the ACC set speed in smaller increments - once the ACC system is active the circular arrow key (resume) will increase the set speed by 1 mph(or kph). So set the ACC to the nearest 5 mph below the limit, then use resume a few times to get to the nearest 1 mph above or below the limit.
      Yeah, that's what I tried to do for the first hour in Canada, but it drove me nuts, as the mph units are grosser than the kph units and caused the setting to "roll off" up or down from the target speed. I found it virtually impossible to set with any degree of accuracy. If I drove below the speed limit, the locals were crawling up my exhaust, and if I drove over the limit, I ran the risk of attracting the attention of the RCMP.

As cumbersome as it sounds, for the duration of my trip I wound up taking the Canadian speed limit in kph, multiplying mentally by .6, and setting the ACC in mph. It was actually simpler for me...
      Current: 2020 V60 T5 FWD, Denim Blue/Blonde, Momentum, Multimedia, Premium, Advanced, Heated Seats & Steering Wheel, 19" Five Spoke Cut Rims
      Current: 2018 V90 T5 FWD, Mussel Blue/Charcoal, Inscription, Dark Flame Birch, Convenience, no B&W, HUD, Leather Dash, Black Headliner, Heated Steering Wheel
      Past: 2017 S90 T5 FWD;2 x 2015.5 V60 Drive-E T5 FWD; 2012 XC70 T6 AWD; 2012 S60 T5; 2010 V70 3.2; 2008 S40 T5; 2007 V50 T5
      First: 1981 245 DL

I'm not sure if this was mentioned - it won't engage until about 20mph if you are not following another car. If you are within the radars range of the vehicle in front it will engage from 0. The que assist is great so far for stop and go traffic - it is as close to an autopilot as we can get for a while...
      Once you get used to it you actually are actively driving - just via the ACC. It's too bad they don't market it better - it can help with safety on top of the city safety system.

Quote Originally Posted by L135 View Post
      I'm not sure if this was mentioned - it won't engage until about 20mph if you are not following another car. If you are within the radars range of the vehicle in front it will engage from 0. The que assist is great so far for stop and go traffic - it is as close to an autopilot as we can get for a while...
      Good information! Thanks.

Problem! Active cruise control works fine, traffic slows down to a stop once or twice - bing - an alarm rings, the display say something like "Cruise control has been disabled" and I can not use it until I shut the car off and restart it. It has been a clear day, one or two stops and it kicks out. This can not be right - right?

Not normal.

I have seen that a few times over the last 6 months. not sure if I caused it- each time the ACC was holding the brakes in traffic. It was safe (it did not release or do anything sudden - just got the same warning. Restarting the car reset it.

It might have been something that caused the ACC to think there is a failure - i think it performs continuous built-in test. You might think about whether or not you were pushing the steering wheel mounted acc buttons while stopped. If you press too long it may take that as a failure (stuck button). I have not seen it happen for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by rmj007 View Post
      Problem! Active cruise control works fine, traffic slows down to a stop once or twice - bing - an alarm rings, the display say something like "Cruise control has been disabled" and I can not use it until I shut the car off and restart it. It has been a clear day, one or two stops and it kicks out. This can not be right - right?
      Doesn't seem normal, indeed.
      Did you get any other messages besides the "cruise control disabled" thing? Nothing about DSTC, radar, etc?

According to the manual >
      An automatic switch to standby mode may be
      caused if:
      • the wheels lose traction
      • brake temperature is high
      • engine speed (rpm) is too low or too high
      • the radar sensor is obstructed by, for example, wet snow or rain.

I think mine also did this one time, also in heavy queues ... but I think I was able to restart it without any problem.
      Usually I get that message when I keep above the ACC set speed for a certain time

How does ACC work in rain and snow? Seems like it doesn't according to the manual?
      2006 S60R GT

I personally experienced no problems with ACC in rain - haven't tested it while snowing, though and don't think I ever will.
      I think the last "warning" in the manual refers mostly to wet snow than rain.
      Depending on the frequency, the radar signal might be absorbed by large amounts of water which in turn might trigger some conditions/thresholds that put the ACC on standby.
      Last edited by stormlv; 01-13-2012 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexx View Post
      How does ACC work in rain and snow? Seems like it doesn't according to the manual?
      I have had ACC dis-engage twice, both times in snow, both times heavy wet snow and snowing hard. The first time the car was already at a standstill, there's a warning chime and the DIM displays the message about the radar unit being blocked and ACC disabled. The second time was on the highway and I knew it was going to happen about 5 minutes before it quit. Normally the ACC is rock solid and it maintains distance to the car in front so smoothly that I can't tell as it speeds up or slows down by a few km/h. However, as the radar unit started to get blocked I could feel the car 'surging' - it would speed up slightly, close the distance to the car in front, then slow down and back off, then repeat. When I say it got closer/further away from the car in front, I'm only talking about maybe a 3-4 meter change in following distance at highway speed, passengers in the car didn't even notice, and certainly no safety concern. When it finally did call it a day, I got the warning chime and DIM notice, the ACC drops out and the car starts to coast until you take over control of the gas.

Both times I just left the car in a heated garage and the next time I started up everything is back to working as normal. It does leave a DTC set indicating that the radar unit was blocked, but no visible indications on the dash once things have returned to normal.
      Last edited by mrcandy; 01-13-2012 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Clarify following distance comment

I have had ACC dis-engage twice, both times in snow, both times heavy wet snow and snowing hard.
      Did what is designed to do.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast