Have you ever wanted to load all your Waypoints and POI before you go on a trip? Want to make sure that you get there without any hassles? Have I got a deal for you (trust me, I am from the government) .
My 2012 Volvo S60 T5 has the Volvo Navigation System (VNS). VNS allows you to load *.gpx files (GPS Exchange Format) from your USB thumb in to VNS using MyPOI
Requires a computer running windows 7 (I used WIN 7) or Windows XP. And a fast internet connection to download the files and to use Google Earth.
1) Get Google Earth (currently 6.1) and then install it.
2) Use Google Earth to locate place(s) you want to go.
3) Save each single place as one *.kml file. One place for each one *.kml file. Google Earth will name the file for you. Nice. You can create KML files with the Google Earth. That is why you are running Google Earth.
KML is a file format used to display geographic data in an Earthbrowser such as Google Earth, Google Maps, and Google Maps for mobile. In our case, it allows us to make a new file called *.gpx which can be loaded into VNS using MyPOI in SENSUS.
4) Download and install POIedit (places of interest editor), http://www.poiedit.com/downloads.htm. I donated some $$$ for the program. Freeware, but worth it.
5) On PoiEdit go to tools> batch conversion to make all your *.kml files into *.gpx files.
6) Load *.KML done with google earth into PoiEdit (left screen) and then, using POIedit, batch convert to *.gpx! (right screen of PoiEdit). You need to select the file type KML as the program does not default to KML or GPX. *.KML in the left lower screen and gpx as the file type on the right lower screen.
7) Load the newly created *.gpx files onto a formatted (I use FAT32) USB thumb drive and insert the thumb drive into the USB port in your Volvo.
8) Select Navigation (NAV) from SENSUS, go to settings and select Import/edit MyPOI. Select one of the POI you created above (in the *.gpx format) and store it in SENSUS.
9)Do this for each POI you created. You can modify (edit) all sorts of things on SENSUS MyPOI, so enjoy. Page 57-58 in your Volvo navigation System (VNS) manual (2012) has some limited instructions if you need them.
What can I say? It is so easy to do and makes any trip you are taking so much easier. Do all of you POI before you leave and them store them in your VNS MyPOI. 50K POI can be added. Sweet.
I did about twenty (20) Google earth to POI (KML -> GPX-> to USB -> MyPOI in VNS) to thumb drive and voila, when I go on my trip, all I do is select MYPoi and load them. No entering in the addresses while on the trip.
You can save them in VNS ("store" them in Volvo speak) and delete them later if you wish if for some reason you do not want a GPS trail left of your travels.
Let me know what I missed as this is version 1.0
I am so glad I got the VNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I actually considered not getting VNS.
Now, many of these tricks can be done with newer standalone GPS units. I just am posting how it can be done with VNS.