Volvo Navigation System tricks using MYPOI and gpx files
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Volvo Navigation System tricks using MYPOI and gpx files

Have you ever wanted to load all your Waypoints and POI before you go on a trip? Want to make sure that you get there without any hassles? Have I got a deal for you (trust me, I am from the government) .

My 2012 Volvo S60 T5 has the Volvo Navigation System (VNS). VNS allows you to load *.gpx files (GPS Exchange Format) from your USB thumb in to VNS using MyPOI

Requires a computer running windows 7 (I used WIN 7) or Windows XP. And a fast internet connection to download the files and to use Google Earth.

1) Get Google Earth (currently 6.1) and then install it.
      2) Use Google Earth to locate place(s) you want to go.
      3) Save each single place as one *.kml file. One place for each one *.kml file. Google Earth will name the file for you. Nice. You can create KML files with the Google Earth. That is why you are running Google Earth.

KML is a file format used to display geographic data in an Earthbrowser such as Google Earth, Google Maps, and Google Maps for mobile. In our case, it allows us to make a new file called *.gpx which can be loaded into VNS using MyPOI in SENSUS.

4) Download and install POIedit (places of interest editor), http://www.poiedit.com/downloads.htm. I donated some $$$ for the program. Freeware, but worth it.
      5) On PoiEdit go to tools> batch conversion to make all your *.kml files into *.gpx files.
      6) Load *.KML done with google earth into PoiEdit (left screen) and then, using POIedit, batch convert to *.gpx! (right screen of PoiEdit). You need to select the file type KML as the program does not default to KML or GPX. *.KML in the left lower screen and gpx as the file type on the right lower screen.
      7) Load the newly created *.gpx files onto a formatted (I use FAT32) USB thumb drive and insert the thumb drive into the USB port in your Volvo.

8) Select Navigation (NAV) from SENSUS, go to settings and select Import/edit MyPOI. Select one of the POI you created above (in the *.gpx format) and store it in SENSUS.

9)Do this for each POI you created. You can modify (edit) all sorts of things on SENSUS MyPOI, so enjoy. Page 57-58 in your Volvo navigation System (VNS) manual (2012) has some limited instructions if you need them.

What can I say? It is so easy to do and makes any trip you are taking so much easier. Do all of you POI before you leave and them store them in your VNS MyPOI. 50K POI can be added. Sweet.

I did about twenty (20) Google earth to POI (KML -> GPX-> to USB -> MyPOI in VNS) to thumb drive and voila, when I go on my trip, all I do is select MYPoi and load them. No entering in the addresses while on the trip.

You can save them in VNS ("store" them in Volvo speak) and delete them later if you wish if for some reason you do not want a GPS trail left of your travels.

Let me know what I missed as this is version 1.0

I am so glad I got the VNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I actually considered not getting VNS.

Now, many of these tricks can be done with newer standalone GPS units. I just am posting how it can be done with VNS.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Sounds kinda confusing but I will give it a try on my next trip. Thx.
      OSD.2015 S60 T5 Platinum/Power Blue/Beechwood/Off Black Sports Leather Platinum|Tech.Package,eBLIS|remote start|heated fr.seats
      OSD.2012 Volvo S60 T5/Ice White Soft Beige/Off Black Interior Premium|Multimedia|Climate Package|BLIS

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunblu View Post
      Sounds kinda confusing but I will give it a try on my next trip. Thx.
      Yeah, it does sound a bit confusing, but once you have done it, pretty easy and straightforward. Sounds harder than it is.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

If you have a computer savvy friend, then they can do it with ease. I sometimes forget I am fearless when it comes to computers.

Not bad, my computer fearless friend :P Not bad at all.
      Thanks for sharing!

Nice tip! I wonder if that program can convert a .csv file to .gpx? I'm trying to import a new POI in the .csv format but VNS would not recognize the file. I also discovered the NTFS file system format is not supported as well. No big deal I just reformatted my USB stick to FAT.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

Quote Originally Posted by ecoDrive View Post
      Nice tip! I wonder if that program can convert a .csv file to .gpx? I'm trying to import a new POI in the .csv format but VNS would not recognize the file. I also discovered the NTFS file system format is not supported as well. No big deal I just reformatted my USB stick to FAT.
      I think it will do CSV to gpx.

What file formats does POI Editor support?
      It will currently load and save the following Points of Interest formats :

TomTom binary OV2
      Google Earth's KML
      Raw ASCII
      CSV, suitable for Navman, Garmin and Navigon and others
      GPX
      MioMap's CSV
      Nokia's LMX format
      TomTom Itinerary ITN
      iGO 2008 (.upoi) Points of Interest - suitable for Nav N Go iGO 8 software

I've tried your trick but my V70s VNS does not support the *.gpx-files produced by POIedit. And there's more: When trying to load the fies from a USB memorystick the VNS does not list the files. When burning the files to a DVD VNS says "No supported files". Any suggestions ?
      Thanks.
      Poarbear V70II Summum 2012

I am not sure what to do. Works like a charm in my 2012 S60. I am assuming the owners manual describes it?
      If it does, maybe the dealer can show you?

montgom: yeah, I think I'll do just that, have a visit to the dealer. Hopefully they can sort it out. I've read the manual over and over again, afraid I was missing something, but I am still not able to get it right. Thanks for your "tutorial" for making *.gpx-files. Eventually it will become handy when I get the VNS to recognize my files.
      Thanks.

FWIIW, there is something hinky about the USB socket: it seems to be a bit shallow and won't read some thumb drives -- the ones with longer tongues. Try a different brand with a slightly shorter tongue and I suspect you will be good to download. I always assumed that thumb drives were made to a universal standard, but that is apparently not the case.
      Current: 2020 V60 T5 FWD, Denim Blue/Blonde, Momentum, Multimedia, Premium, Advanced, Heated Seats & Steering Wheel, 19" Five Spoke Cut Rims
      Current: 2018 V90 T5 FWD, Mussel Blue/Charcoal, Inscription, Dark Flame Birch, Convenience, no B&W, HUD, Leather Dash, Black Headliner, Heated Steering Wheel
      Past: 2017 S90 T5 FWD;2 x 2015.5 V60 Drive-E T5 FWD; 2012 XC70 T6 AWD; 2012 S60 T5; 2010 V70 3.2; 2008 S40 T5; 2007 V50 T5
      First: 1981 245 DL

Quote Originally Posted by montgom View Post
      I think it will do CSV to gpx.
      Not in my experience. I have had to use a conversion utility to convert .csv files to .gpx. Unfortunately, only about 3/4 of my files converted correctly. The rest throw an error message, probably due to incorrect header information, missing or spurious punctuation, or some such thing. When I get a bit of free time, I will examine some good and bad .csv files, see if I can find a common problem, and correct it in a text editor.
      Current: 2020 V60 T5 FWD, Denim Blue/Blonde, Momentum, Multimedia, Premium, Advanced, Heated Seats & Steering Wheel, 19" Five Spoke Cut Rims
      Current: 2018 V90 T5 FWD, Mussel Blue/Charcoal, Inscription, Dark Flame Birch, Convenience, no B&W, HUD, Leather Dash, Black Headliner, Heated Steering Wheel
      Past: 2017 S90 T5 FWD;2 x 2015.5 V60 Drive-E T5 FWD; 2012 XC70 T6 AWD; 2012 S60 T5; 2010 V70 3.2; 2008 S40 T5; 2007 V50 T5

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
      montgom: yeah, I think I'll do just that, have a visit to the dealer. Hopefully they can sort it out. I've read the manual over and over again, afraid I was missing something, but I am still not able to get it right. Thanks for your "tutorial" for making *.gpx-files. Eventually it will become handy when I get the VNS to recognize my files.
      Thanks.
      Let me know what you learn.

USB socket

Quote Originally Posted by volvobuff View Post
      FWIIW, there is something hinky about the USB socket: it seems to be a bit shallow and won't read some thumb drives -- the ones with longer tongues. Try a different brand with a slightly shorter tongue and I suspect you will be good to download. I always assumed that thumb drives were made to a universal standard, but that is apparently not the case.
      The system reads the MP3-files from that very same USB thumb drive so the socket AND the stick are OK. I'll let you know if I find the answer when I visit the dealer later this week.

Not in my experience. I have had to use a conversion utility to convert .csv files to .gpx. Unfortunately, only about 3/4 of my files converted correctly. The rest throw an error message, probably due to incorrect header information, missing or spurious punctuation, or some such thing. When I get a bit of free time, I will examine some good and bad .csv files, see if I can find a common problem, and correct it in a text editor.
      OK, guys, I came up with a work-around as regards the "bad" .csv files that PoiEdit wouldn't convert to .gpx files: I downloaded the files in TomTom OV2 format and then converted those files to .gpx using PoiEdit. Worked like a charm!

FWIIW, I have not found the POI files from GPS Data Team to be very useful, plus they charge you $7.00 to download their files. POI Factory has a far larger selection of POI files, many of them are well-maintained and up-to-date, and there is no charge to download except for the red light camera files, which require a "donation".

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
      The system reads the MP3-files from that very same USB thumb drive so the socket AND the stick are OK.
      You had me going with that statement, until I realized you were talking about MP3 music files, not the MP3 sound alert files used with POI files. Obviously you wouldn't be able to use any downloaded MP3 sound alerts without their companion .gsx files. And the custom sound alert function is not yet operative.

As I trust you have found out, the VNS MyPOI edit menu is a work in progress. Only the first three Sounds are functional: Sound 1 is a lower-pitch ding-dong (think Avon calling); Sound 2 is a higher-pitched ding-dong, Sound 3 is a loud camera shutter, presumably intended for red light and speed trap POIs. The Sound 4 option, which I assume is the custom sound alert selection, is inoperative and can't be selected. The No Sound menu option is also inoperative, so you can't mute the system sound alert for individual POIs. The only option you have is to mute the sound alerts on all POIs. This is a huge limitation on the use of custom POIs, and I hope they get around to a software upgrade that addresses this problem.

FWIIW, I have not found the POI files from GPS Data Team to be very useful, plus they charge you $7.00 to download their files. POI Factory has a far larger selection of POI files, many of them are well-maintained and up-to-date, and there is no charge to download except for the red light camera files, which require a "donation".
      I find the files from the GPS Data Team to be somewhat incomplete, at least, in my area. I know of at least a half dozen cameras in operation for a couple years now that are not included in their files. No big deal for me because I already know about them but does raise the question of what others are missed that I don't know about which is the whole reason for installing them in the first place. That said, they do have a nice feature that allows you to set the proximity alert distance.

I'm currently trying the files from the GPS-POI-US.com. They have a $25 yearly subscription but if their list is more complete might be worth it. I did have to convert their .cvs file to a .gpx file using the poiedit program. VNS wouldn't recognize their .cvs file version. I'll report back after I've had some real world experience.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

OK, here is the way to do it:
      When VNS asked me to update from USB there were no file listing. It seemed that VNS didn't recognize my *.GPX-files. BUT, when I accidentally turned the ring ouside the OK/EXIT buttons the files popped up like a dream. I'm a bit embarrassed but I can't find it mentioned in the manual. So I now have the POIs that I need for my european trips this spring summer !
      Thanks !

Reducing Size of Custom MyPOI Files

I have found that the VNS memory capacity for downloaded custom POI files is very limited. After downloading a number of rather large files for nation-wide restaurant chains, such as McDonalds or Dunkin Donuts, the nav system reached its limit very quickly, and additional files could be loaded only if I deleted some of my previously installed files.

One very easy way to reduce the size of custom POI files is to download only .csv or .ov2 files, which have a lot less information (only name, latitude, and longitude), and convert them to .gpx format using POIEdit, rather than using native .gpx files, which typically have a lot more information in them.

Another way to cut these national chain POIs down to size is to edit them by eliminating destinations in those parts of the country in which you are unlikely to be driving. This is easily done by loading the file in .csv or .ov2 format (I have found the latter to be more accurate and less problemmatic) into POIEdit and sorting the line entries by clicking on the headers in the latitude and longitude columns, then deleting all destinations outside of the desired coordinates.

For example, I live in the Northeast section of the US, so it is not going to be very useful for me to have Starbucks locations in California or Texas in my system. So I have eliminated all locations west of a particular longitude and/or south of a particular latitude, nicely limiting the size of the POI file drastically to the NE quadrant of the country. Save the reduced file, converting it to the .gpx format at the same time, and you have freed up a huge amount of space for other custom POIs.

You should really take the McDonald's file and delete it. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by ecoDrive View Post
      I'm currently trying the files from the GPS-POI-US.com. They have a $25 yearly subscription but if their list is more complete might be worth it. I did have to convert their .cvs file to a .gpx file using the poiedit program. VNS wouldn't recognize their .cvs file version. I'll report back after I've had some real world experience.
      Okay, so the file from GPS-POI-US.com seems to include all the cameras that I knew were missing from GPS Data Team. The only problem is when approaching an intersection where all 4 directions are monitored I get 4 audible warnings, which is annoying. One entry for a monitored intersection would suffice. Not sure how to fix this other than edit the .cvs file to remove all the duplicates which would be a PITA.

Quote Originally Posted by matt1122 View Post
      You should really take the McDonald's file and delete it. Just saying.
      Uh, in my experience, McDonalds is considered to be fine dining in NJ. Just saying...

Volvobuff, some success. Was able to get files from Google Earth, convert to .gpx using POIedit, add to mem stick, and load into car VNS as load MyPoi. All looked good, however, now I cannot find either POI on VNS. I "stored" them, but they do not show up in my "stored" locations or any place else I look. I know it must be my error.

Ideas? Anyone?

Thanks,

JB
      Present: 2015 S60 T5 Drive-E, Flamenco Red/Off Black, Platinum, Blis, Heated Seats Past: 2012 S60 T5. Flamenco Red/Off-Black, Premium, climate, technology, multi-media, Blis, PCC, front camera
      Past: 2009 C70, vanilla pearl metallic, cacao sovereign, climate, premium, bliss, bi-xenon,Nordic oak, portable navigation.

I know this is an old thread but I am hoping someone can help me out. I have a MY2015 XC60 with nav. I am trying to upload some POI's via usb. I have followed the above instructions. The car is recognizing the usb stick and the file names. When I go to add the file, I get "file is corrupt or invalid please try to add another POI". I downloaded files using google earth into .kml format. I then used POIedit to convert the .kml into .gpx file.
      Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, I have not found a way to store "current location". If anyone has figured this out, please let me know.
      Last edited by robk; 11-29-2015 at 08:38 AM.

Just stumbled across this via Pole Position: Start Here for Common Issues and Questions about 2011+ S60/V60 Models.

Very cool, but I wonder, should mention be made of using here.com to send locations to one's car?

I do like this method, as less "magic" is required to get destinations to your car, but I have used here.com several times to get places to the car while I am not in it - As in wife calls for directions and I say "Hang on." and "It's on it's way."

Good post. Thank you!

Eric
      2015.5 S60 T5, color: Seashell. Our first Volvo. So far a good experience. 0% financing is what got us in the door. Features sealed the deal.

29. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements