WTF... 16T may be not available through Viva... wher do I get a new Volvo 16T?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 13 of 13
    1. #1
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2010
      Location
      Santa Cruz, CA
      Posts
      158

      WTF... 16T may be not available through Viva... wher do I get a new Volvo 16T?

      Long story short, George at Viva told me on the phone today that there's very few Volvo 16T's around in U.S. warehouses right now- 1 left in the Volvo NJ warehouse, yada yada... whatever. I have a choice- if the wait is significant (2-3 weeks) for an out-of-stock Volvo 16T straight flange turbo from Viva, are there any other (non-eBay) new 16T Volvo turbos available anywhere for delivery sooner than next Monday, perhap? I know non of you all runs a drop-ship operation or a Volvo/VAR warehouse, but any ideas about alternative sources? The price is/was around $1,100.00 for a new Volvo OE 16T from Viva...

      I DO NOT want to go to a more easily available 18T and then have to have the awesome ARD Green Tune tweaked for *that* turbo... anyone know of a 'Plan B" straight-flange 16T source?

      TIA, fellas...
      Last edited by crh; 01-18-2012 at 12:20 AM.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Member Avboden's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2010
      Location
      Michigan
      Posts
      1,970
      ...why not go to the 18T?
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription
      1998 V70R. RIP Transmission
      1973 Volvo 1800ES which will someday get a T6 engine

    4. #3
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2010
      Location
      Santa Cruz, CA
      Posts
      158
      Quote Originally Posted by Avboden View Post
      ...why not go to the 18T?
      Things start to go a little sideways at that point... white to blue injectors, another Green Tune on another ECU, another 5-7 days for THAT from Lucky, $$ out the window for the Orange Tune I upgraded from to a Green tune on Lucky's advice after he heard from me that I could go white injectors/R manifold/16T, etc... so an 18T would necessitate ANOTHER iteration of that first Green Tune, and THAT Green Tune has already shipped... should be here tomorrow... so even with the Law of Unintended Consequences in play, there's gonna be a nastier surprise around the corner that I just can't see yet by upgrading hardware and dragging every other domino along... rather find a 16T, use the same injectors, same Greene Tune, same plan... just source the 16T differently.It's *tempting* to just go for the 18T, but Plan A has its charms and I'd really like to stick to it... more $$ and time and head-banging isn't how I want to spend the rest of January... this DD upgrade project HAS to be done by end-of-the-month... (*sigh*- long story)... :^/

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Member Avboden's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2010
      Location
      Michigan
      Posts
      1,970
      Quote Originally Posted by crh View Post
      Things start to go a little sideways at that point... white to blue injectors, another Green Tune on another ECU, another 5-7 days for THAT from Lucky, $$ out the window for the Orange Tune I upgraded from to a Green tune on Lucky's advice after he heard from me that I could go white injectors/R manifold/16T, etc... so an 18T would necessitate ANOTHER iteration of that first Green Tune, and THAT Green Tune has already shipped... should be here tomorrow... so even with the Law of Unintended Consequences in play, there's gonna be a nastier surprise around the corner that I just can't see yet by upgrading hardware and dragging every other domino along... rather find a 16T, use the same injectors, same Greene Tune, same plan... just source the 16T differently.It's *tempting* to just go for the 18T, but Plan A has its charms and I'd really like to stick to it... more $$ and time and head-banging isn't how I want to spend the rest of January... this DD upgrade project HAS to be done by end-of-the-month... (*sigh*- long story)... :^/
      Haha wow, no kidding you want to stick with the 16T with all that.
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription
      1998 V70R. RIP Transmission
      1973 Volvo 1800ES which will someday get a T6 engine

    7. #5
      Member Big Will's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2005
      Location
      Germany
      Posts
      3,196
      Why do you keep thinking that the white and blue injectors flow differently? They'll be the same in your '98.

      Anyway, there is an ebay source called something Japan Turbo Warehouse and they sell 16Ts that are OE not cheap aftermarket.
      98 V70 AWD - M58 Gearbox | VAST tune | 20T turbo | Green injectors | NA intake & throttle body, EST Intake, Snabb Fresh Air Pipe & Reverse Intercooler Piping | R Manifold, TME Downpipe, TME Exhaust | IPD Swaybars, Volvo Strut Brace, Öhlins Roadholding Suspension | 302mm front rotors, vented R rears, SS Brake lines | E-code C70 jewel headlamps. Engine build thread

    8. #6
      Member rmorse's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Location
      Silver Spring, MD
      Posts
      3,787
      Why not just get a rebuilt 16T?
      1995 850 T5R Yellow Wagon - Lightly modded
      1998 V70 N/A, nautic blue/charcoal - Mediumly modded
      1996 850R Wagon, black/black - Heavily modded

    9. #7
      Member washdup's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Location
      Ventura County, CA
      Posts
      2,361
      Did you already try tascaparts.com?

      As for the 18t/16t issue, I know your mind is made up but there may be another option: As Will points out, blue injectors are not required for an 18t (I don't plan to use them for mine). You could run the 18t on the green tune for awhile, and my strong suspicion is Lucky would cut you a major break on the retune--and he has cores available so no downtime.
      1998 V70 T5m @200k miles; 18t, turboback, Quaife LSD, Koni FSD/Eibach, IPD sways, DO88 I/C, SNAAB intake, ARD Blue, greens, etc., 50% E85
      1995 850 Turbo Sold at @168k miles.
      2004 V70R 6mt SOLD for the '98 plus mod money.

    10. #8
      Senior Member JRL's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2003
      Location
      Devon PA
      Posts
      59,593
      I have a car here that had an engine transplant
      It now has a stage 3 tune that's way too much for the new (stock) engine but a large (19T) turbo, but it runs smoothly and drives, I just need to keep my foot off of it while testing it!

      (Owner plans on a milder tune as soon as he gets it back)
      Email: jrl1194 ( at ) AOL (dot) com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak/Tan/Arena, 114K miles. My DD with no plans to sell it anytime soon
      2000 V70R, Wife's, she won't sell. Now she hit 150,000 miles and still near perfect!

    11. #9
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2010
      Location
      Santa Cruz, CA
      Posts
      158
      Well, it's looking like any 16T from anywhere is gonna be awhile... and since everything else about this project has taken 3 times longer than expected, it isn't going to suddenly speed up now. It's going to take what it's going to take in time, and it's time to just enjoy the ride.

      If Viva gets so jammed up with my 16T order from Volvo that it looks like several weeks or more, I'll try to find an alternative source for the 'lil fella.

      Like the saying goes: "Fast, cheap, or good. Pick two!"

    12. #10
      Banner Advertiser George @ ViVA's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2005
      Location
      Los Angeles, CA
      Posts
      5,065
      Just to clarify, the 16T is currently on national backorder here in the US, with ZERO available stock at Volvo's 3 distribution centers. This also means that no dealer would be able to order one quicker, unless they just happen to stock it at their dealership.

      As I explained to Charles via email, we are getting the first 16T that will be available from Volvo to fulfill his order. Volvo was expecting them this week but they haven't show up yet. Charles - you'll hear from us as soon as we have good news

    13. #11
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2010
      Location
      Santa Cruz, CA
      Posts
      158
      Quote Originally Posted by George @ ViVA View Post
      Just to clarify, the 16T is currently on national backorder here in the US, with ZERO available stock at Volvo's 3 distribution centers. This also means that no dealer would be able to order one quicker, unless they just happen to stock it at their dealership.

      As I explained to Charles via email, we are getting the first 16T that will be available from Volvo to fulfill his order. Volvo was expecting them this week but they haven't show up yet. Charles - you'll hear from us as soon as we have good news
      Hey, George! Sounds good... you just saved me a post, as I *just* read your e-mail to me about your continuing to look... thanks in advance... I'll hang in there with ya, man!
      Last edited by crh; 01-19-2012 at 12:52 AM.

    14. #12
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2010
      Location
      GA
      Posts
      128
      @crh

      Its "fast, cheap and reliable. Pick two."

      I like " A repair is the perfect excuse to upgrade."

    15. #13
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2010
      Location
      Santa Cruz, CA
      Posts
      158
      Quote Originally Posted by 98-v70-t5-m View Post
      @crh

      Its "fast, cheap and reliable. Pick two."

      I like " A repair is the perfect excuse to upgrade."
      Context- sensitive... 'Fast, cheap or good- pick two' is actually a graphic designer's mantra (used to be one), the one to which you refer is a great automotive motif, and 'strong, cheap or light- pick two', is great for motorcycles, but particularly mountain bikes... ;^)

      THE 16T TURBO ARRIVED today via Fedex HD... in great shape, ready to go on. THANKS GEORGE at VIVA, you found one in the middle of a nationwide 16T stock-drought and got it here FAST... THAT'S what I call great service... IPD could learn a thing or two from you... thanks again, Viva. Straight Outta New Hampshire via drop-ship, gotta love it.

    16. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements