Nav System Route Choices
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Nav System Route Choices

Is it me, my area, or is the Nav system hopelessly optimistic about the time it takes to travel on surface streets as compared to highways and this is always recommending detours from freeways? Whether asking for 1 or 3 routes I always see it doing this. There does not appear to be an option to avoid surface streets. Anyone having better luck?

BTW, this is our 1000th Thread!
      2011.5 XC60 3.2L Flamenco Red/Anthracite Black, Premium, Multimedia, Convenience, BLIS, Xenon + Custom Subwoofer

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mark-sf View Post
      BTW, this is our 1000th Thread!
      You are such a geek! ;-) (That's why you're also one of my favorite correspondents around here.) :-)
      2012 XC60 T6 AWD, SeaShell Metallic / Anthracite, Platinum, BLIS, Xenons

Between the "Shortest, Fastest, Easiest" there isn't one that sticks to highways for you?

Regardless, I feel like there must be a tweak in the nav settings...
      Present: 2011.5 xc60 T6 AWD, Terra Bronze / Sandstone
      Past: 2006 S60 R, Silver / Gobi, 6MT, 2002 Infiniti QX4

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 315 R View Post
      Between the "Shortest, Fastest, Easiest" there isn't one that sticks to highways for you?

Regardless, I feel like there must be a tweak in the nav settings...
      That is correct.In many cases the over-streets route is "Shorter and since it appears to aways underestimate the time it is considered "Fastest". I would have thought highways/freeways would be preferred for "Easiest" but for the life of me that does not appear to be the case. In the sub-menus where you can specify what to avoid, "local streets" is not an option. This results in it suggesting exiting a freeway I am already on when there is any sign of congestion.
      2011.5 XC60 3.2L Flamenco Red/Anthracite Black, Premium, Multimedia, Convenience, BLIS, Xenon + Custom Subwoofer

That is correct.In many cases the over-streets route is "Shorter and since it appears to aways underestimate the time it is considered "Fastest". I would have thought highways/freeways would be preferred for "Easiest" but for the life of me that does not appear to be the case. In the sub-menus where you can specify what to avoid, "local streets" is not an option. This results in it suggesting exiting a freeway I am already on when there is any sign of congestion.
      My experience as well.

In addition, at least in Los Angeles, the speed threshold between showing a freeway orange vs red is not right. Red is rarely shown, as a result, I am asked to take surface streets when the freeways are moving but slow, or at halt. I have to rely on my iPhone for an accurate read of freeway speeds.

Yeah I was assuming there was an "avoid local streets option". Maybe this will be apart of the next Nav upgrade? I see you have the same model year as me - I bought in July. The company that sends the Nav updates said I would get one this July or August.
      Present: 2011.5 xc60 T6 AWD, Terra Bronze / Sandstone
      Past: 2006 S60 R, Silver / Gobi, 6MT, 2002 Infiniti QX4

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements