Noisy A/C Compressor tech order or recall
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Noisy A/C Compressor tech order or recall

Hi,
      Does anyone have new news about a tech order or recall in regards to the noisy A/C compressor? (T5) It's almost time for my first oil change and I want to make sure I have all my facts together to get this fixed.

James

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

mmmm not sure,but i'd like to know also. i just found out i have the seat wiring harness recall too.
      2006 Volvo xc90 t5-awd
      2009 Volvo c30 r-design-wife's
      2012 Volvo s60 r-design-Sold!!
      2009 Crown Vic Police Interceptor-sold

Quote Originally Posted by JFK-USAF View Post
      Hi,
      Does anyone have new news about a tech order or recall in regards to the noisy A/C compressor? (T5) It's almost time for my first oil change and I want to make sure I have all my facts together to get this fixed.

James
      Had you heard there was a TSB or recall or are you just asking if we've heard of anything?
      ------
      2012 S60 T-6 R-Design [Ice White/Black, Climate, Multimedia, BLIS, PCC] (His)
      2010 XC90 3.2 R-Design (Hers)

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 12_Ice_white_S60 View Post
      Had you heard there was a TSB or recall or are you just asking if we've heard of anything?
      Just asking if anyone has heard anything.

Hi,

James

Were you able to get yours fixed? I recently went in my first service, and they "had not had any complaints" on this issue. When I came back to pick up my car, they said they "could not duplicate the problem". I think they did not try very hard, because it is pretty obvious. I did not take it to my preferred dealer though, so maybe my second attempt will be more successful...just not sure when that will be.
      Currently:
      2020 V60 T5 Inscription (Osmium Gray, Charcoal Nappa Leather, Luxury Seat Pkg, Advanced Pkg,
      Bowers and Wilkins, Heated Seats/Steering Wheel, Linear Lime, Polestar Tune) ~Via OSD on 10/9/19

Previously:
      2015.5 S60 T5 Drive-E (Silver Metallic, Off-Black Leather, Platinum Trim, Climate Pkg, BLIS Pkg, Urbane Wood)
      2012 S60 T5 (Silver Metallic, Off-Black Leather, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, Park Assist, BLIS, Urbane Wood) ~Via OSD on 10/4/11
      2006 S40 T5 (Passion Red, Quartz Leather, Premium & Sport Pkgs)

Going in tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed because it doesn't happen every day.

Going in tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed because it doesn't happen every day.
      if its the same problem i had, it hates high revs. redline it a few times on the way and it'll be growling like mad.
      ------

It didn't make the noise until I got in the car to leave. I ran back in and got a tech to come out to listen. He acknowledged that he heard a louder cycle of the compressor on startup but told me because it still worked, he couldn't replace it. We talked a few minutes and he told me there was a standing tech order to fix the compressors on T6 engines as they come in for service or before they are sold but nothing on the T5. He thought the stress of the summer season might trigger a few to actually fail and might get Volvo to issue a tech order on T5s. I really didn't argue with him because the A/C still works even while making the noise, the noise really isn't that loud, goes away quickly and doesn't happen every day. Overall the first service went without a hitch.

I'm going to call Volvo's general customer service number and lodge an official complaint. Maybe if enough of us do they'll issue a tech order. This problem is a small hiccup in an otherwise excellent car. I'm only 7K miles into my ownership so far but I'd buy another one in a minute. I've had Audis, Saabs, Hondas and Landrovers and this is the best of all of them.

related or not?

my blower fan is noisy on manual mode, say 2-3 bars of speed.... howls sometimes
      2012 S60 T6 R Design - Ice White and all the R Design goodies!!!!
      2012 XC 60 T6 Premier Plus AWD - Terra Bronze / Sandstone Beige &Espresso Interior / Panoramic roof /Bi-Xenons, BLIS / Front & Rear Park Assist

It didn't make the noise until I got in the car to leave. I ran back in and got a tech to come out to listen. He acknowledged that he heard a louder cycle of the compressor on startup but told me because it still worked, he couldn't replace it. We talked a few minutes and he told me there was a standing tech order to fix the compressors on T6 engines as they come in for service or before they are sold but nothing on the T5. He thought the stress of the summer season might trigger a few to actually fail and might get Volvo to issue a tech order on T5s. I really didn't argue with him because the A/C still works even while making the noise, the noise really isn't that loud, goes away quickly and doesn't happen every day. Overall the first service went without a hitch.

I'm going to call Volvo's general customer service number and lodge an official complaint. Maybe if enough of us do they'll issue a tech order. This problem is a small hiccup in an otherwise excellent car. I'm only 7K miles into my ownership so far but I'd buy another one in a minute. I've had Audis, Saabs, Hondas and Landrovers and this is the best of all of them.
      Do you know if there is a TSB...not sure what a tech order is? Did he say why T6 but not T5? What does "fix" mean?
      ------

... he told me there was a standing tech order to fix the compressors on T6 engines as they come in for service or before they are sold but nothing on the T5.
      I wonder if that's why when I brought my 2011 T6 in for the 15K service yesterday there was a big red "RECALL" scribbled across the paperwork... (I don't think the wire harness issue is present in 2011's) I guess I'll find out when I pick it up tomorrow.

Something different than this. I don't notice it on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by whiterdesign View Post
      related or not?

my blower fan is noisy on manual mode, say 2-3 bars of speed.... howls sometimes

TSB and Tech Order are the same. The Tech thought the T6 recall had to do with the compressor being located right at the top of the drivers side of the engine where the noise is a lot louder. T5 compressors are located down low on the passenger side of the engine - location supresses the noise. The "fix" is replacement as I understand it. I didn't ask (but should have) if they are the same compressor for T5 and T6 engines.

With mine, the noise only lasts a few seconds before going away. The compressor still functions while the noise is present. (I'll still take a noisy compressor over runflat tires BMW so stop calling me)

Curious to know if any of the previous owners/users ever had this problem resolved?

I have a brand new 2012 T5 with just over 5K miles. My compressor started making noise around 2K miles and seems to be getting worse each time it decides to sound off. It's very intermittent and seems to be related to outside humidity and also gets louder/changes tones as the gears shift down almost every time I come to a stop or close to it. Yesterday, it was obnoxiously loud and made me feel like I was driving a 20-year old car with 200K miles and serious issues to fix. I could hear it consistently driving at 30-50mph and sometimes even over the radio. Toggling the A/C switch will make it stop/start ... but changing any of the climate settings bears zero effect on it.

I have a 2012 T6 bought in Jan. Has all the symptoms that people have listed. My dealer replaced my AC Compressor no questions asked on it's first oil change service. I am in Canada
      2012 XC 60 T6 Premier Plus AWD - Terra Bronze / Sandstone Beige &Espresso Interior / Panoramic roof /Bi-Xenons, BLIS / Front & Rear Park Assist

Curious, to the people that have noisy A/C compressors, do you leave the A/C on all the time in Auto mode?
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

Btw ... I purchased the car in mid-April. I did at first ... but now only on occasion.

Does anyone have this issue again? My car just hit 19,000 miles today. I was in a traffic light today and thought a diesel truck was next to me... then I hit another red light and the same noise, kept looking for the truck!... turned the AC off and the noise went away. It is my AC compressor and the noise is annoying. Can someone tell me: WHAT ELSE CAN GO WRONG WITH THIS PIECE OF CRAP????

Quote Originally Posted by Texas T6 View Post
      Does anyone have this issue again? My car just hit 19,000 miles today. I was in a traffic light today and thought a diesel truck was next to me... then I hit another red light and the same noise, kept looking for the truck!... turned the AC off and the noise went away. It is my AC compressor and the noise is annoying. Can someone tell me: WHAT ELSE CAN GO WRONG WITH THIS PIECE OF CRAP????
      Has anyone had theirs replaced based on noise? I took it in to have some work done and they said the noise was normal. Maybe it's normal on a Mack truck but certainly not acceptable on the car.
      2012 Volvo S60 T5 - Ember Black Exterior with Beachwood Black and Urbane Wood Trim, Climate, Dynamic, Premium, Technology, and Multimedia Packages, Xenons, BLIS, Front & Rear Park Assist, and ironically no PCC! Past - 2010 Suzuki Kizashi SLS AWD, 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE, 2010 Ford Fusion Sport AWD, 2007 BMW X3 3.0sihttp://mefi.us/images/fuelly/smallsig-us/117571.png

Quote Originally Posted by newzie View Post
      Has anyone had theirs replaced based on noise? I took it in to have some work done and they said the noise was normal. Maybe it's normal on a Mack truck but certainly not acceptable on the car.
      If they say it's normal ask them to show you the same "normal" noise in any of the 2012 S60s on their sales floor.
      2002 S60 T5 5M (SOLD) - ECU, intake, exhaust || 2006 S60R 6M Sonic Blue (Saved My Life), 2:03.5 at BIR long course, 2:00 at BIR short course, My HD Trackday Videos, Loud enough for ya? || 2007 S80 V8 (SOLD), 35% tint, Sport Package (4C), Heated and Cooled Seats, IPD Rear Sway Bar || 2011 XC70 T6, 35% tint, IPD Rear Sway Bar, IPD Photo Contest Winner in 2015 and 2016, Dragon Slayer || 2015.5 XC70 T6 Polestar Tuned || 2015.5 V60 P* #46/80

sounds like the same noise volvo compressors have made since forever. Its a shame you guys have to put up with it though.
      2003 S60 T5M - bilstein sport/eibach, sways, exhaust, mini h1 projectors, and other minor touches

I got a recall notice about the A/C compressor a couple of weeks ago. Inspection and repair if needed. I have no issues and haven't brought it in yet.
      Stan
      In the White Mountains of northern New Hampshire
      2012 Volvo S60 R-Design; Passion Red, Climate and BLIS
      2013 Porsche Boxster S (981 S), Platinum Silver, 6 speed manual, 20" Carrera S wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Warpedcow View Post
      If they say it's normal ask them to show you the same "normal" noise in any of the 2012 S60s on their sales floor.
      . They claim its the electric power steering. Turning the wheel just makes it worse. Of course turning the climate control off eliminates the noise completely.
      2012 Volvo S60 T5 - Ember Black Exterior with Beachwood Black and Urbane Wood Trim, Climate, Dynamic, Premium, Technology, and Multimedia Packages, Xenons, BLIS, Front & Rear Park Assist, and ironically no PCC! Past - 2010 Suzuki Kizashi SLS AWD, 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE, 2010 Ford Fusion Sport AWD, 2007 BMW X3 3.0sihttp://mefi.us/images/fuelly/smallsig-us/117571.png

It's Service Campaign 254 and affects the 2012-2013 XC60, S60, S80, XC70, and XC90 vehicles.

"Volvo has identified that the corrosion treatment on the air conditioning compressor drain plug may be porous, resulting in A/C compressor oil leakage and compressor noise. The condition may also have a negative impact on air conditioning functionality."

The solution is simply to have the dealer inspect the plug and replace it if needed. My notice was dated August 24, 2012.
      Stan
      In the White Mountains of northern New Hampshire
      2012 Volvo S60 R-Design; Passion Red, Climate and BLIS
      2013 Porsche Boxster S (981 S), Platinum Silver, 6 speed manual, 20" Carrera S wheels

There is also another service campaign/recall or whatever you want to call it. I want to say it's 253 and involves adjusting the thermal expansion valve (TXV).

Apparently misadjusted TXV can cause these growling noises described here.

Quote Originally Posted by qaz996 View Post
      There is also another service campaign/recall or whatever you want to call it. I want to say it's 253 and involves adjusting the thermal expansion valve (TXV).

Brought my 2012 T5 in for this recall. A/C was growling when outside temp was around 70, (maybe it growled all the time but couldn't hear it over the fan noise when it was really hot).

After the service A/C is now quiet.

This fixed my car.
      2012 Volvo S60 T-6 Electric Silver/Anthracite.
      2012 VW Golf R Rising Blue 2-Door.
      Past Volvos.
      2004 Volvo S60R Silver/Nordkap 6-Speed.
      2000 C70 HPT Coupe Silver/Silver 5-Speed.

My dealer replaced the expansion valve back in May but I've noticed twice this week the noise (groaning/growling sound) is making a comeback. Anyone else experiencing this? It's not frequent enough right now to warrant another visit to the dealer but curious what others have been told.

Hope the repairs are a good fix. Mine started growling this weekend with a whopping 463 miles on the ODO.

1.5 hours to nearest dealer. This had better be fixed right the first time.
      Hers: 2013 C30 T5 / Polestar Limited Edition / 6M / #147 of 250 / Rebel Blue
      His: 2018 V60 T5 Dynamic / Passion Red / Vision & Tech Pkgs
      Son's: 2005 S40 T5 / Passion Red / Dynamic Sport / IPD Stuff (He will never part with)
      Son's: 2018 V60CC / Denim Blue / Vision Pkg
      In the past: 2016 XC90RD / 2015 S60RD / 2012 S60 T5 - Loved them all!

Amongst other things that have failed on my V60, My aircon compressor had the same problem. It was replaced.
      2011 V60 T6 Polestar!

Quote Originally Posted by SA_Volvo View Post
      My dealer replaced the expansion valve back in May but I've noticed twice this week the noise (groaning/growling sound) is making a comeback. Anyone else experiencing this? It's not frequent enough right now to warrant another visit to the dealer but curious what others have been told.
      I've had my AC compressor replaced once already, the growl is back this week, WAY louder than the first time... but intermittent... I'll have it looked at next oil change..

I had my first 7500 Mi service and the A/C recall was done and noted that my plug was leaking, secondly the thermostat assembly was replaced due to a check engine light. All other items were serviced and the car was returned washed. Very happy with Danbury Volvo.

mine has made this noise a couple times. i bring it up to them tomorrow. when i take it in for it's 30K service
      2003 mustang COBRA ( SVT 10th anniversary ) born on 6-26-03/ 4634 of 5082 of verts & 955th of 2003 SVT 10th ANNIV edition`s
      97 cobra pacific green 1 of 27 , 89 mustang LX 5.0 , 2012 Volvo S60 ( T-6 )

Ours is the 2013 s60 rdesign. It's not even 3k yet, but we are hearing some weird loud noise when the auto A/C is just turn on. The noise occurs intermittently and goes away after a while or when we turn off the A/C. Might take it to the dealer to check it out.

So i took my car in for its 15k service even though its only at 8500 (going to be driving from Alaska to Florida with it in a month) and they informed about this recall with the AC drain plug i was not aware of. It was only after the recall that i started noticing the loud groaning noise coming from the AC. It seems to only do it when the car has been idling for a couple of minutes. I also noticed that my mpg dropped from 19.4 to 18.9 in a matter of a couple of days with no change to my driving habits. Anyone else noticed this?

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast