SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

News Regarding ipd Performance Upgrades for 2003-2004 models

25K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  hydro79 
#1 ·
For those of you interested in / anxiously awaiting ipd ECU upgrades for 2003 and 2004 models we have some news. Late in December development work was finalized on the calibration files to allow us to begin doing upgrades. We acquired a few local cars to perform test downloads on and ran into the following scenario. Several of the cars we upgraded with great results, however when we attempted to upgrade a 2004 S60R we got a warning message from our software upgrader that the base software of the car did not match the base software version we had read out of the cars back in July. We could have proceeded by overwriting the new base software with the earlier version, but it is our goal to provide upgrades with the latest base version of software that Volvo is using. The owner of this particular car is not aware of any upgrades his dealer may have performed and this is the crux of the situation. In the past changes to base software would show up on your work order / invoice. We have information now that is pointing to the possibility of software "improvements" being made without the vehicle owners knowledge. For example, you take your car in for warranty repair or service and any time the car is plugged into VADIS (Volvos aftermarket diagnostic and information system) it gets the latest factory software updates automatically. As I mentioned above, this used to show up on your paper work, but it appears that this is no longer the case.
A simple analogy for this is to relate it to a computer software update for a personal computer. Software companies routinely make patches and improvements to their software and if you use any web based Microsoft products you most likely have seen the automated upgrade system in action. (Would you like to update now?)
This is very similar to what we are encountering with our Volvo ECU upgrades at this time. Since Volvo isn't kind enough to provide us with these updates
, we have to "bump into them" so to speak.
When we do find software updates during an upgrade procedure the process of reading out the base software is not always quick and easy. In some cases we have to extract the new data out of the ECU. This is a complex procedure and can take anywhere form 1-4 weeks.
(Is your head starting to hurt now? Mine is!)
Anyway, at this time we are researching a source for technical service bulletins related to engine management software changes. (software changes to other functions of the car such as the suspension, climate control, etc do not alter the base engine management software)
This will help us to know in advance if a particular year and model may have revised base software. The situation we are trying to avoid is
having a customer send in his/her ECU and finding out we do not have the latest base software available. The cost and inconvenience of overnight shipping the ECU back and forth and having your car down for 3 days is bad enough one time let alone twice!.
We can certainly upgrade these cars and generally not have owners experience any noticeable drivability losses by overwriting the revised base software with the earlier version like other tuners, but that is not how we operate. We want to maintain the highest level of quality and performance in our products.
The bigger question is " When will we be ready to go with ECU upgrades for 2003-2004 models? " At this time we do not have an answer, but we are working on it with high priority. For those of you that may be interested in an upgrade in light of the above information please contact us for more information (scott@ipdusa.com or ask for Scott Hart at 1-800-444-6473). For all we know at this time, it may be just the 2004 R manual trans cars that are effected by this as we have not been able to access all of the new applications applications. We were able to upgrade the ECU in our 2003 XC-90 project with 2.5T engine just fine.
In regards to additional upgrades, Thomas Alsterfalk of TME SWEDEN is here at our facility this week doing final test fitting of R specific downpipes and sport exhausts. Once these parts are confirmed to fit and function properly on our US model cars, he will head back to Sweden to begin production. We should start getting these parts for sale this spring (April-May). The prototype parts will be sent to swedespeed next week for use on swedespeed member Kai's S60R project that is being featured in a multi part R upgrade article here on swedespeed. Part 1 of the article should be posted in the "features" section in the next week or so.
Watch here for further updates.

See less See more
#7 ·
Re: News Regarding ipd Performance Upgrades for 2003-2004 models (stonepran)

My apologies for the delayed reply.

We have this HEICO system for the S60 FWD and AWD in stock and it is regularly $1600 on overstock sale right now for $1080. PLease let us know if you'd like to order one.
Part # is H2521601

Also, we can now upgrade the ECU ( Engine control unit) for all turbo models 1994-2005 except S40 and V40 2000-2004.

#8 ·
Re: News Regarding ipd Performance Upgrades for 2003-2004 models (mynias)

Quote, originally posted by mynias »
What is an ECU upgrade?

mynias: In case you were serious (and the other replies to you were not), the ECU is the engine control unit, or computer for your car. Upgrading it can upgrade the performance of your engine, ie. make it faster. If that's what you're interested in, beware that your insurance company usually wants to know about things like this (and increase your rates), and that these type of upgrades always put more wear and tear on the car's engine, drivetrain, etc.

#9 ·
Re: News Regarding ipd Performance Upgrades for 2003-2004 models (Freeworld)

Quote, originally posted by Freeworld »

mynias: In case you were serious (and the other replies to you were not), the ECU is the engine control unit, or computer for your car. Upgrading it can upgrade the performance of your engine, ie. make it faster. If that's what you're interested in, beware that your insurance company usually wants to know about things like this (and increase your rates), and that these type of upgrades always put more wear and tear on the car's engine, drivetrain, etc.

Your insurance company actually asked if your car was modified or chipped? Let me know who it is and I'll stay away. I've always used 21st century, Farmers and Progressive and they have never asked anything like that.

#10 ·
Re: News Regarding ipd Performance Upgrades for 2003-2004 models (dutchdemon)

Quote, originally posted by dutchdemon »
Your insurance company actually asked if your car was modified or chipped? Let me know who it is and I'll stay away. I've always used 21st century, Farmers and Progressive and they have never asked anything like that.

It's not that they actively ask, but they definitely want to know. After all, your rates are based on the cars capabilities. An R costs more to insure than a T5, and a T5 cost more than an NA, etc. If they find out your car has been chipped and have not properly rated it, they could deny coverage.

#11 ·
Re: News Regarding ipd Performance Upgrades for 2003-2004 models (Freeworld)

Quote, originally posted by Freeworld »

It's not that they actively ask, but they definitely want to know. After all, your rates are based on the cars capabilities. An R costs more to insure than a T5, and a T5 cost more than an NA, etc. If they find out your car has been chipped and have not properly rated it, they could deny coverage.

Your insurance is based off your VIN number which contains the year, make, model, engine type, etc. I dont beleive there is no way for the insurance company to determine enhanced or modified capability from a chip and adjust your rate accordingly. If this has actually happened to someone, please chime in, i would love to know. Maybe its a state specifc thing..

#12 ·
Re: News Regarding ipd Performance Upgrades for 2003-2004 models (dutchdemon)

Your insurance is based off your VIN number which contains the year, make, model, engine type, etc. I dont beleive there is no way for the insurance company to determine enhanced or modified capability from a chip and adjust your rate accordingly. If this has actually happened to someone, please chime in, i would love to know. Maybe its a state specifc thing..

You just answered your own question. The VIN contains info about the engine in your car and thus affects your rates. Read your policy's fine print and you'll find information about "performance upgrades" which would make your engine more powerful than the VIN really says. They have no way of surveying your car, remotely or otherwise, but if you have an accident and they find out your car has been performance upgraded (and not rated such), they can deny coverage. It's like driving over the speed limit. It's illegal, but if you don't get caught (and most people don't) then you won't have to worry. But as an example, if you're involved in a serious accident where the investigators examine your vehicle or the circumstances of the crash, and determine that your car was doing something it's not supposed to be physically capable of, then suspicion will be raised about whether or not it was performance enhanced. Even more obvious, if your upgraded ECU were damaged as part of a wreck and you tried to foolishly make a claim on it, you would be automatically busted. Again, read the fine print. I don't believe there is an insurance company around that doesn't use this method of rating vehicles.

Modified by Freeworld at 11:16 PM 12-30-2007

#15 · (Edited)

You just answered your own question. The VIN contains info about the engine in your car and thus affects your rates. Read your policy's fine print and you'll find information about "performance upgrades" which would make your engine more powerful than the VIN really says. They have no way of surveying your car, remotely or otherwise, but if you have an accident and they find out your car has been performance upgraded (and not rated such), they can deny coverage. It's like driving over the speed limit. It's illegal, but if you don't get caught (and most people don't) then you won't have to worry. But as an example, if you're involved in a serious accident where the investigators examine your vehicle or the circumstances of the crash, and determine that your car was doing something it's not supposed to be physically capable of, then suspicion will be raised about whether or not it was performance enhanced. Even more obvious, if your upgraded ECU were damaged as part of a wreck and you tried to foolishly make a claim on it, you would be automatically busted. Again, read the fine print. I don't believe there is an insurance company around that doesn't use this method of rating vehicles.

Modified by Freeworld at 11:16 PM 12-30-2007
Freeworld is correct. I am an independent insurance agent in VA and "Performance Upgrades" are one of the variables in the quoting system/process. However, most insurance agents will almost never ask you about it and will mark "No" in that field.

#13 ·
Re: News Regarding ipd Performance Upgrades for 2003-2004 models (Scott Hart)

Quote, originally posted by Scott Hart »
The owner of this particular car is not aware of any upgrades his dealer may have performed and this is the crux of the situation. In the past changes to base software would show up on your work order / invoice. We have information now that is pointing to the possibility of software "improvements" being made without the vehicle owners knowledge. For example, you take your car in for warranty repair or service and any time the car is plugged into VADIS (Volvos aftermarket diagnostic and information system) it gets the latest factory software updates automatically. As I mentioned above, this used to show up on your paper work, but it appears that this is no longer the case.
A simple analogy for this is to relate it to a computer software update for a personal computer. Software companies routinely make patches and improvements to their software and if you use any web based Microsoft products you most likely have seen the automated upgrade system in action. (Would you like to update now?)

above is false, at this time there is no automatic downloading to a customers vehicle. more likely is the customer has no clue what was done or a tech forgot to bill out the SW accordingly on the RO.

lots of ecm upgrades right now for leakage diagnostics.

another answer is on some vehicles if you upgrade TCM sw you get ECM sw as well as these work so closely together for proper shifting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.