Turbo swap
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: Turbo swap

Turbo swap

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I drive a 2003 Volvo s40 1.9t. Last week my turbo blew. So, I removed the turbo and I bought a rebuild kit but it was too big. If someone can find me a rebuild kit that would be great. But I really want to do a turbo swap. The turbo I want is a 850 turbo. Anybody know if it will fit and workout?? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I got a 19T cartridge and compressor housing for 550$ on ebay.. I think they still have them. Easy swap, good power gains.

Here's stock 12T (blown) vs 19T

This picture shows the 12T wheel in the 19T housing, just for size comparison

05 S60R MT - Catless - Snabb Intake hose - Elevate AMS - Elevate CBV - Custom Quad Exhaust - Custom Diffuser - Not Pegs - PCC Spoiler - CFW Front splitter - Eibach lowering springs - Elevate sways - more...

As a general question, what sort of gains will the 19T give? I also have a 2.0T that now has the T4's 14T fitted as the original one blew. Not that I'm looking at doing anything soon, but if the need for (more) speed should arise, what could I reasonably expect?

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Banner Advertiser George @ ViVA's Avatar
      A turbo swap without an ECU upgrade to account for the increased boost/airflow from the bigger turbo is simply asking for trouble. Do you have any plans for an ECU upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by George @ ViVA View Post
      A turbo swap without an ECU upgrade to account for the increased boost/airflow from the bigger turbo is simply asking for trouble. Do you have any plans for an ECU upgrade?
      Most definitely, even if I stick with the 14T. I have some second-hand parts (exhaust and intercooler, from a 30forty50 forum member in Singapore) to go on, which will require a tune, so for that it's a matter of going fully custom or 'piggybacking' the original one...

Quote Originally Posted by George @ ViVA View Post
      I've been driving the car at 8 psi for 28K miles and no issues. Planning now to get an E85 tune, and get as much power as I can muster before I bend some rods. The stock ECU with a 19T at stock boost pressure is as fast as a 12T (stock turbo) at it's absolute max psi output, which is about 15/16 psi. Even with the massive turbo lag (19T spools at about 3800RPM, 12T spools at 2500) you can figure how much of a gain there is. IF the car ran a little more boost, I'm sure the ECU could compensate, but for anything more than 10 psi or so, I'm willing to bet there'd be some detonation, which could cause big problems. I guess we'll see what happens with the E85
      Last edited by DrBrutal; 10-20-2012 at 12:28 AM.
      05 S60R MT - Catless - Snabb Intake hose - Elevate AMS - Elevate CBV - Custom Quad Exhaust - Custom Diffuser - Not Pegs - PCC Spoiler - CFW Front splitter - Eibach lowering springs - Elevate sways - more...

The TD04L 14T rebuilt with a stage 3 mamba kit doesn’t require a tune and makes 214hp at 13psi with a ported turbine housing and manifold

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements