Black Plastidip for the Pegs!
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Black Plastidip for the Pegs!

I couldn't decide to put this under the "what did you to your R today" thread or start my own. Since i didn't get too many search hits on plastidipping Pegs, i thought i would post a new thread.

I'm thinking i need some more black in the front - either painting the grill surround, the slash or both. But, I'm really trying to keep a stock look to the car. Volvoboys60r has a passion red R with black Pegs. he has a blacked out grill with Lumin-x headlight covers. I really like the look, but it's a tiny bit too "aftermarket" for my taste. I'm wondering if i already crossed that line already by painting my Pegs black.

I would love to remove the headlight glass and paint the silver plastic, black...but OMG, that's work that i would not enjoy. and it might be TOO much black in the front.

Opinions?

Before:

After:

05 V70R Passion Red : IPD Springs : IPD Track Spec : IPD Rear Camber Kit : TWM Short Shifter : MOMO Shifter : IPD Downpipe : Snabb Intake : Forge CBV : TME Exhst w/Res Delete : PU Rear Toe Link : PU Front LCA : AVIC-x950bh : Aftermarket Subwoofer : Viva Single Mass Fly / OE Clutch : Motor Replaced : Custom Digital Boost Gauge : Hilton Stage 2.5 : Snabb FMIC : Niche Targa 19x8.5 / 19x9.5 : Shimmed Block : Rear Sport Body Kit :

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Looks great. now do the grille surround.
      05 VR FG Gobi MT

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Love it. Would have gone glossy though.
      04 V70 2.5T AWD - AUTOTECH | SNABB | OBX | MAGNAFLOW | SNABB | BILSTEIN | EIBACH

The car looks clean...with the original rim color. I like clean things. But to each their own.
      2000 Laser Blue V70R

These are stock color for the R.. I think they look way better then black and the silver..

[img]Photobucket[\img].
      1999 v70r stock(restaurant mobile).

2006 v70r 6spd manual, (Evolve sway bars, downpipe, cat back, ams. Snaab FMIC & turbo intake, IPD radiator hoses , Strut bar conversion kit, end links, heavy duty top hats.. Kwv2 coilovers, Viva lower front and rear braces. Hiton stage 2 tune.

Quote Originally Posted by dufferdude View Post
      Looks great. now do the grille surround.
      +1
      2005 S60R - Magic Blue Metallic - Nordcap : 30% Tints : IPD: Boost Gauge, Silicone Lines Phuz: HD TCV K&N, IPD: Front Grille : RKelly CAI : Takspeed Emblem : Roof Spoiler

Very nice! Always a great mod.
      2006 Black Saphire/ Gobi S60R...Phuz DP, Custom 3" Exhaust, R kelly w/ K&N, RICA Stage II, Eibachs... http://s1238.photobucket.com/albums/...importraceram/

Anyone know how plastidip works out with masking lines? I've been thinking about painting the recesses of my silver Pegs black & leaving the faces silver & like the idea of plastidip since I can just peel it if I don't like, but I'd hate to do the intricate masking only to discover it won't work out (or will peel on its own a week later).
      2007 XC90 V8 - 2005 V70R M66
      2015 F150 Supercrew 2WD 3.5L

masking lines work only if you peel off the tape when it is stil wet, you try to do it when the plastidip has dried and it will not work.
      2005 Volvo S60R Ti/Nordkap *NAV, Climate Package, Premium Package, 18" Flat Black Retarded Flying Horse Wheels, 10mm spacers (all around), Engine Stabilizer Upper Polyurethane Bushing, HD Polyurethane Transmission Mount, Polyurethane Upper Engine Mount, GROM iPOD unit, 2 10" Infinity Subs, Phuzzy Motorsports HD-TCV, 3.5" Air Intake, Green Calipers, UR Brace Bars (Upper Front and Rear), IPD DEM Shield*

are you running 17s? and what springs did you use? i love the stance
      2007 V70R SoniKap GT 126000km | H&R Trak+ 10mm/15mm | H&R Quicksafe Studs | GROM Audio iPod/Bluetooth interface | Thule Aeroblade Edge
      2002 Bmw 325ci Topaz Blue 5MT | BMW 18" Style 220 Wheels - White | Single Mass Flywheel | Eonon GA7150s | Meyle HD Control Arms | Tuner Motorsport Polyurethane Front Control Arm Bushings
      2000 BMW 323ci Topaz Blue 5MT | Raceland Cilovers | BMW 18" Style 220 Wheels - White | Muffler delete (Write off after 20 days of ownership )
      1991 BMW 535i Blue 5MT | Bilstein Sport Shocks | Eibach Lowering Springs (Sold)
      1994 850 GOLD M56 371000km (Sold)
      (Comfort|Sport|Roadhead)

I'm thinking of doing this. How many cans did it take? Any tips would be great too.

dipyourcar.com has pretty good deals on everything you will need to plastidip anything. They even have a package for wheels which is a little bit cheaper than buying seperate cans. Hoping to do this sooon.
      2005 S60R - Magic Blue Metallic - Nordcap : 30% Tints : IPD: Boost Gauge, Silicone Lines Phuz: HD TCV K&N, IPD: Front Grille : RKelly CAI : Takspeed Emblem : Roof Spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
      I'm thinking of doing this. How many cans did it take? Any tips would be great too.
      Takes around 3.5 cans...the more paint you use the easier it will be to take it off in the future. Pegs look great! I would definitely paint the grill surround and tint the windows, but that wouldn't be stock "looking"...but it would look sick
      2004 TI S60R. Sport kit.Debadged.18" Titanium Grey Pegs on Hankook v12 Evos.Drilled/Slotted Rotors w/ elevate pads. IPD strut conversion. IPD/Viva Trans mount. IPD Upper Engine Mount. 20% tint.Prosport Evo. Pioneer Avic D3 in dash nav. MTX amp-12inch Alpine Type R sub.Lo Jack Equipped

Quote Originally Posted by sikh.R View Post
      Takes around 3.5 cans...the more paint you use the easier it will be to take it off in the future. Pegs look great! I would definitely paint the grill surround and tint the windows, but that wouldn't be stock "looking"...but it would look sick
      I have already taken care of the grill and tint. I'll probably do it this weekend.

I like it, but your OEM look with that touch of aftermarket (the spring drop) looked amazing. I think the dark silver/gun metal that OOKLAA brought up looks stunning too.
      '05 S40 T5 AWD 6 Spd - Custom Intake, FMIC & Spray, SMF, S60R Clutch, Muffler
      Delete, Eibach Springs, Corksport RSB, Front LCA Polys, 5mm Front, 20mm Rear, EFocusMnt
      '97 Isuzu Trooper 3.2L 5 Spd - PIAA Headlights, Lowered, Extended Shifter, 4Pt Harness, Plastidip
      '95 Go Kart 1 Spd - Kohler Engine, Mikuni Carb, Big Cam & Stiff Springs, R1 Exhaust

I plastidipped my grille about a year ago and it still looks good. I wanted an aftermarket look without having to spend the 100$+ on a new grille and have it fly off at some point on the highway like some members grilles have thinking about grabbing a prancing moose sticker for the grille box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2005 Volvo S60R Ti/Nordkap *NAV, Climate Package, Premium Package, 18" Flat Black Retarded Flying Horse Wheels, 10mm spacers (all around), Engine Stabilizer Upper Polyurethane Bushing, HD Polyurethane Transmission Mount, Polyurethane Upper Engine Mount, GROM iPOD unit, 2 10" Infinity Subs, Phuzzy Motorsports HD-TCV, 3.5" Air Intake, Green Calipers, UR Brace Bars (Upper Front and Rear), IPD DEM Shield*

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline406 View Post
      I like it, but your OEM look with that touch of aftermarket (the spring drop) looked amazing. I think the dark silver/gun metal that OOKLAA brought up looks stunning too.
      I agree. my Pegs are chewed up from the PO and the black plastidip covers it up nicely. i'll leave it for now, but i like the stock gun metal color that OOKLAA brought up the best as a permanent solution. i think it's called Hyper Black?

the nice thing about Plastidip is that i can peel off the grill surround when i'm ready to paint the wheels.
      05 V70R Passion Red : IPD Springs : IPD Track Spec : IPD Rear Camber Kit : TWM Short Shifter : MOMO Shifter : IPD Downpipe : Snabb Intake : Forge CBV : TME Exhst w/Res Delete : PU Rear Toe Link : PU Front LCA : AVIC-x950bh : Aftermarket Subwoofer : Viva Single Mass Fly / OE Clutch : Motor Replaced : Custom Digital Boost Gauge : Hilton Stage 2.5 : Snabb FMIC : Niche Targa 19x8.5 / 19x9.5 : Shimmed Block : Rear Sport Body Kit :

yeah, 3.5 cans did it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike A View Post
      are you running 17s? and what springs did you use? i love the stance
      yup. 17's. i got a set of old Evolve springs off of eBay. I'm not sure how different they are from Elevate. Probably the same i would guess. i had BIG fender gap in the back...so i'm pretty happy with the stance. the only drawback is the piss poor ground clearence. it was bad to begin with, but no it's really bad. i have to take most speed bumps at an angle. I'll be installing a set of lower UR braces this weekend, so i expect things to get worse. the price i pay for aethetics goes beyond the wallet...

I prefer the clean look of the bright silver Pegs. My PO of my VR had black Pegs on it in all the pictures for the sale listing, but specified it's come with the stock color pegs. I was amazed at how much more I like the bright silver. It's much more inconspicuous! That said, I do plan to Plasti Dip from time to time, just for fun!

Oh, and tint those front windows!!!
      13 BRZ - World Rally Blue - Limited 6MT - "New Hotness"

SOLD... 04 V70R - Black Sapphire - Nordkap - GT - "The Wife's CaR"

Quote Originally Posted by ions View Post

I plastidipped my grille about a year ago and it still looks good. I wanted an aftermarket look without having to spend the 100$+ on a new grille and have it fly off at some point on the highway like some members grilles have thinking about grabbing a prancing moose sticker for the grille box

Kinda like this?

Couldn't find the original pic.

I can't tint the front windows - illegal in CA. I could take a chance but with my luck i would get a fix it ticket for not having a front plate too!

Sent from my SGH-T849 using Tapatalk

Kinda like this?

Ugh my eyes! but yea just like that. Was gonna msg the guy and see if he could do a custom color for me of lime green and a black prancing moose

Pittsburgh, PA // Ft. Bragg, NC // Woodstock, GA
      Quote Originally Posted by Sachio View Post
      I can't tint the front windows - illegal in CA. I could take a chance but with my luck i would get a fix it ticket for not having a front plate too!

Sent from my SGH-T849 using Tapatalk
      Don't worry about the law... tint everything! I tinted all doors and rear 35% and windshield 50%
      New Windshield Tint, 50%
      Keoni - 2004 SR Saphakap MT||VolvoTista: BOV Kit // IPD: Strut Bar Conv, Upper Polly Mount, Trans Polly Mount // Elevate: Track Sways, SS Brake Lines, AMS // Phuzzy: FMIC, HD TCV // WothRline: Custom Tune // Custom 3" DP w/Magnaflow Cat w/ 3" Cut-Out // Custom 3" Exhaust w/Borla XR-1 muffler to dual exit 2.5" (quad tips) & Magnaflow resonator // Custom 3" CAI // SNAAB: Intake // UR: Pulley

Quote Originally Posted by ions View Post
      masking lines work only if you peel off the tape when it is stil wet, you try to do it when the plastidip has dried and it will not work.
      The trick to this is to score it lightly after it dries with a razor blade. Then when you go to peel the tape off the plastidip won't come off with it.
      05 VR FG Gobi MT

Kinda like this?

Too much sharpening!

I like what the OP did but I think it works b/c his car is red. Having a black car I like the look of silver Pegs.
      04 V70 2.5T AWD - AUTOTECH | SNABB | OBX | MAGNAFLOW | SNABB | BILSTEIN | EIBACH

i did my grille with the dip, as well as my rims, heres a shot of how the grille turned out, mind the missing r badge, its getting fine detail.

31. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements