Write Up: Front Struts and Springs Installation. - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
      I'm just speculating. I am not entirely certain if the suspension and front axle can be reassembled with the CV joint dislocated. It can become detached inside the CV boot itself.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Let's hope it's not the CV joint either... Sounds nasty on those precision parts.
      T5 S40 Greg (05) > 1. 2. 3. | Kenwood interface |Viva 3"DP |EST exhaust |RICA stage 2+ |EST trust brace |Elevate sway bar |Bell black FMIC | intake pipe |IPD TCV |H&R 1.4 down |IPD front end-links |Focus tran mount |BERN 18x8 on Michelin pilot super sp 225x40 |Bilstein 8 SP struts and shocks |Powerslot rotors |StopTech 309 pads |Custom Boost gauge |Lettering relocation head+rear lights cut vinyl |

Turns out that the CV joint is kaput- bearings loose in the boot etc. I did need to put a jack under the hub to re-align the knuckle to the bottom of the strut so I think I must have forced something that didn't want to be forced!
      Now looking for a replacement drive shaft.....which turns out to be like hen's teeth.
      To say I'm disappointed is a bit of an understatement but I'll be that bit wiser next time. Thanks for the feedback.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Grounder s View Post
      Turns out that the CV joint is kaput- bearings loose in the boot etc. I did need to put a jack under the hub to re-align the knuckle to the bottom of the strut so I think I must have forced something that didn't want to be forced!
      Now looking for a replacement drive shaft.....which turns out to be like hen's teeth.
      To say I'm disappointed is a bit of an understatement but I'll be that bit wiser next time. Thanks for the feedback.
      Hey man . . . so sorry to here about that.
      Don't get yourself down too much over this. . . it still a good learning and it will just be a wash in comparison of having the work done so it's not really a loss
      . . . and next time come for advice on SS before starting the job. We'll be more than happy to help!
      T5 S40 Greg (05) > 1. 2. 3. | Kenwood interface |Viva 3"DP |EST exhaust |RICA stage 2+ |EST trust brace |Elevate sway bar |Bell black FMIC | intake pipe |IPD TCV |H&R 1.4 down |IPD front end-links |Focus tran mount |BERN 18x8 on Michelin pilot super sp 225x40 |Bilstein 8 SP struts and shocks |Powerslot rotors |StopTech 309 pads |Custom Boost gauge |Lettering relocation head+rear lights cut vinyl |

Sorry to hear about this. You got to be careful and be cognizant of what you are doing and how other working parts might be affected.

Pics?

Hi!

My brother and I are going to change out the struts on my s40 2005 2.4i. This seems really helpful but the pictures aren't available from flicker. Is there something I'm not doing correctly to see them?

Thanks,
      Ben

Global Moderator MyNameIdeasWereTaken's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by captsup View Post
      Hi!

My brother and I are going to change out the struts on my s40 2005 2.4i. This seems really helpful but the pictures aren't available from flicker. Is there something I'm not doing correctly to see them?

Thanks,
      Ben
      Unfortunately, those are broken links. Most likely the pictures were removed from that flikr account. We really should have the media from stickies stored on a SwedeSpeed database.

Is your car FWD or AWD? If FWD, C30s will be the exact same. Use this C30Crew link for the pictures with the SwedeSpeed write up. You can easily do the job with a rented spring compressor (for struts) from Autozone and a floor jack / jack stands.

When I lowered my S40, I had a heck of a time figured things out, spent a full weekend working on it. But I just replaced my girlfriend's front struts (on her 854) in a little over an hour with nothing but hand tools.

It's FWD yes. Ok. I'll check out the c30 forum.

Thanks!

All good so far except that I think we've bottomed-out hitting the knuckle with the sledgehammer and there's still a 1/2 inch to go on the bottom if the shock. Looks like we'll have to compress the springs. Is the drive shaft limiting the travel I wonder.

Global Moderator MyNameIdeasWereTaken's Avatar
      All good so far except that I think we've bottomed-out hitting the knuckle with the sledgehammer and there's still a 1/2 inch to go on the bottom if the shock. Looks like we'll have to compress the springs. Is the drive shaft limiting the travel I wonder.
      I literally stood on the knuckle to lower it enough to pull the strut out. Not the best way, but it got the job done.

Hi!

Thanks,
      Ben
      I'll have to look into that. Flickr had a update and broke all my picture links.

Additional question on the strut work:

Does anyone know the torque specification for the knuckle bolt holding the strut bottom?

The last time I cranked on it because I did not know what torque to tighten it to. I'm trying to be more diligent with torque specification these days...

It is exactly 90 nm.
      If you read this, then you haven't understood, that my posting is above this text!

Quote Originally Posted by daim View Post
      It is exactly 90 nm.
      Great! Thank you sir

How about the 3 bolts on top holding the strust assembly.
      I found 30Nm on some C30 document online. Seems low but what do I know...

30 nm is spot on too. Any more and they will turn. As they only hold a vertikal and not horizontal force, there is no need for high torque ratings.
      If you read this, then you haven't understood, that my posting is above this text!

Quote Originally Posted by daim View Post
      30 nm is spot on too. Any more and they will turn. As they only hold a vertikal and not horizontal force, there is no need for high torque ratings.
      That's what I figure . . . I'm done replacing the strut bearing on one side. Second side on its way... Boy it was so much easier the second time doing this
      Last edited by TG; 08-31-2013 at 04:40 PM.

Yeah... The job isn't really that bad. Just make sure you get the alignment of the markings 100% otherwise it will grind quicker!

Quote Originally Posted by aldebaran View Post
      7. Use a screwdriver and slowly pry the strut away from the knuckle. It will come off without much effort.
      This I don't see as easy at all. It kept me from removing my shock tonight.
      Garage Queen - 2010 C30 R-Design Vrooooooom
      Daily - 2016 V60 T5 Drive-E Vrooooooom
      Zichrona Livracha - 2004.5 S40 T5

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
      Additional question on the strut work:

Does anyone know the torque specification for the knuckle bolt holding the strut bottom?

The last time I cranked on it because I did not know what torque to tighten it to. I'm trying to be more diligent with torque specification these days...
      don't over-torque --- i did and broke 2 bolts torquing to 25ft-lbs.
      2008 C70 GT - Black/Black/Nordic Oak • 18x8 Black Midirs
      Shark Stage 1 Tune • GoVo ECU Spacer • Ford e-Focus Mount • Bilstein B8 • H&R Springs • Elevate Rear Swaybar • Volvo Strut Bar • Massive Camber Arms • Centric Rotors • Akebono Pads • Hankook Ventus Evo2 235/40/18 • Mods4cars SmartTop • Llumar/Madico Tint • E46 Bi-Xenon HID Retrofit w/ZKW-R Lens Morimoto XB35 • LED Int/Ext/Halos • Fryalip • Custom Leather Steering Wheel Wrap • CocoMats Black Sisal • IPD Skidplate • Fumoto F104N Valve

Ordered Eibach's today and placing my order for front bearings and strut mounts. My struts were changed 30k ago from dealer so I feel they should be just fine. Wont know for sure until I inspect them. Anything you can think of that I missed? Don't want any noises now..

I'm still running the stock struts and shocks & Original Rubber pcs. with My Eibach's _ there holding so Far - about 15k now .
      Very Good time to do the _ HD Sway Bar Links _ with all the extra Strong springs and stiffer rear settings ..

Usually You can only pull the End Links _ On & Off so many times and those Bit the Dust .
      Then You end up Re-visiting the same work area again .
      Last edited by EngTech; 10-04-2013 at 06:49 AM.
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

Quote Originally Posted by EngTech View Post
      Very Good time to do the _ HD Sway Bar Links _ with all the extra Strong springs and stiffer rear settings ..
      Stiffer springs don't really affect anti-sway bars nor sway bar links.
      C70 T5 2008, K16 RS turbo, 384 HP (340 WHP), ATM400 Autotech tune

LOL , and all this Time I just thought these Car Suspension Producers & Tuners were just making money , so I wanted to Donate :
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

LOL , and all this Time I just thought these Car Suspension Producers & Tuners were just making money , so I wanted to Donate :
      You don't really strike me as a donating type.

Brahaaa lol , You have been Donating Your time again I see Your almost up to 2000 post .

Your Fishing for more Technical Answers .. , well the compression of that thought into a rebounding laugh says it all , traveling over to the other side and throwing down
      a Higher Force of Twisting as most likely You be getting on with It .

I'm still running the stock struts and shocks & Original Rubber pcs. with My Eibach's _ there holding so Far - about 15k now .

Usually You can only pull the End Links _ On & Off so many times and those Bit the Dust .
      Then You end up Re-visiting the same work area again .
      When I installed my Elevate sway bar I used brand new OEM links, god forbid they break I still have the others that are in great condition as a backup. It will be a few weeks till I put them in but I got under the car after work this morning and pb blasted all the fasteners I may need to deal with. Tomorrow if im not doing the S4 exhaust install I will go ahead and hit up some front ones too. Maybe 3 times a week until I go ahead and perform surgery.

As far as the other needs go: Am I missing anything?

-2005 - Volvo - S40
      front suspension, suspension components, strut mount 4WD Left(and Right)

-2005 - Volvo - S40
      front suspension, suspension components, bearing 4WD Left(Right as well)

*How about these:
      http://www.ground-control-store.com/...php/II=10/CA=1
      Last edited by bgrove; 10-04-2013 at 10:51 AM.

Your component list is fine, you might add the lower pinch bolt for the strut. I would skip the GC bump stops, they will not fit properly inside the strut bearing without modification. How often are you bottoming out anyway? If you actually do hit the bump stops often I would suggest the C30 Sport ones (kinda pricy though). See my thread here.
      Last edited by pczeilon; 10-11-2013 at 10:36 AM.
      2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

I wonder how well she'll handle after the springs.

Quote Originally Posted by bgrove View Post
      I wonder how well she'll handle after the springs.
      A little on the "bouncy" side as spring rate will not be matched to the suspension shock rate. It would handle much better if you upgrade to the adequate shocks such as Bilstein B8 Sprint.

Any chance for a part number on the lower pinch bolt?

Quote Originally Posted by bgrove View Post
      Any chance for a part number on the lower pinch bolt?
      Flange screw 2.00 999251
      M12x50
      2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by pczeilon View Post
      Flange screw 2.00 999251
      M12x50
      Pretty inexpensive at less than $2 a pc. Sadly I may have a leaking shock. Ill know more tomorrow when I can take the wheel off and clean things up. Wish I had a cable for my iphone5 so I could upload the images.
      Last edited by bgrove; 10-05-2013 at 06:01 PM.

Too bad you just missed the Koni Sale...
      Cheapest place I've found for shocks... Shox
      2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

Boo! Oh well. I just rotated my tires and inspected the struts(mind you front have that cover) and the bottom cup where the spring sits was just full of dirt, no fluid, so I vacuumed and sprayed all the bolts. So all in all I give today.. and at months end I get to buy something to put a huge smile on my face!

Quote Originally Posted by pczeilon View Post
      Too bad you just missed the Koni Sale...
      Cheapest place I've found for shocks... Shox
      I don't recall there being Koni's for AWD...
      Garage Queen - 2010 C30 R-Design Vrooooooom
      Daily - 2016 V60 T5 Drive-E Vrooooooom
      Zichrona Livracha - 2004.5 S40 T5

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast