Deja Vu - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Deja Vu

The nice thing about spilled dried Coke, it cleans up really easily. At least good enough for parts that are invisible most of the time:

Saw, saw, grind, grind:

The rubber cover fits:

Doesn't look weird or anything, even though it is slightly domed compared to the normal manual pedal. Still, now I have a known undamaged pedal. I don't even think I'll worry about painting it, as the odds of it seeing water are nil.

Pedals installed.

Cha-ching! You always find change when you get down to carpet level.

So at this point I tried to jam the shifter through the firewall and after about half an hour of tearing my arms up I remembered why I wanted to wait till the motor was out. It's a bitch. I can still install it fairly easily with the carpet and dash in, it just means the console goes in last. I can live with that.

After that I decided to move on to the center channel speaker in the dash, which I hope to sell. My center channel was not working so I decided to explore why. First, here's the speaker with the grille off:

It happens to be all seized up, so I started exploring. It's an interesting design, with the magnet and voice coil on top of the cone. The upper magnet was split in half:

The lower magnet was shedding its plating and becoming powdered by the friction of the speaker moving, until the speaker just jammed up on it.

Here you can see where the voice coil was dragging on it.

Bottom line, I took the speaker out and measured the mounting depth:

It only has about 1-3/4" but you can cut a hole in this flat panel and get another half inch or so:

Other than that it's a standard 5-1/4" form factor speaker wired in 4 ohm mono (the driver and tweeter are each 8 ohm, wired in parallel) so it can be replaced with pretty much anything that isn't too deep. Anyone interested in a complete dolby system minus the speaker, check the for sale forum.

I also pulled the steering wheel and it's up for sale too.
      Last edited by LloydDobler; 07-09-2014 at 03:19 AM.
      2003 C70 T5M Convertible - Eibachs, Koni FSDs, Enkei RSF5s, OBX downpipe, Snabb intake, RIP kit, & drop-in intercooler, Quaife LSD, 19T, Green Giants, 22 psi Hilton tune.
      2006 V70R M66 - Sonic Blue/Nordkap, 2.4 T5 motor, Snabb intake & intercooler, IPD oval exhaust, stock turbo and tune (for now).
      1966 122s - Collectible project, restoration and many mods on the way.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD - Daughter's first car. No mods unless she does 'em herself.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

So I had another really productive week. Wednesday night I didn't even get home until 8:30, but I was really motivated so I went out and tossed the dash into the car.

One thing I do love is that my porch is completely hidden from the street, so I can pile junk up out here and nobody bothers me about it. I do have an HOA after all.

So then Friday night I put my daughter to bed on time for a change and went out to play some more, installed the airbag in the dash and screwed down the dash cap, installed the steering wheel, turn signal and wiper stalks, and heater control.

Yesterday I picked up all my maintenance items that I've been putting off buying, like a new timing belt and air filter, and tranny oil. Then today I had the whole day where working on this car was my only priority. I put in a solid 8 hours with no breaks. Felt pretty good. Started with a new cabin filter, even though it really isn't used that much on this car. It's better than letting a bunch of dirt and dust get all built up inside the dash.

I vacuumed up all the leaves and junk in the cowl, then put the cowl cover on. After that I moved in to the interior. I vacuumed out below the carpet, because who needs dirt under your carpet? Then I dropped the carpet in and fastened it down with duct pieces and trim.

Immediately after taking that picture I realized I forgot the dead pedal, so I washed and installed it. Then I did the rear suspension, and just for grins I put my R wheels on it for the first time. Starting to really feel like my car again. I also cleaned and installed the mud flaps.

Once I had the upper shock bolts in place, there was nothing stopping me from putting the back seat in.

Shortly after that the front seats went in. This is an annoying job, you have to motor the seat forward and back several times to get to the bolts and trim pieces.

Then since I now had somewhere to sit, I installed the A pillar and header trim.

I wasn't going to do the door panels, but I still had some energy and got a wild hair about trying to figure out how the handles come off. I figured it out this time, when I was stumped last time. You pry off a hook and the cable end slides right out of the handle.

This allowed me to change the color of the piece behind the handle, so I decided it was time to do the panels in their entirety.

Now it's REALLY starting to feel like my car again. A lot of this is "wash and assemble" which makes it take longer to reassemble but that's fine, it's clean in places that aren't usually clean on a car once it leaves the dealer.

Then I turned the key and made sure all the stuff works, like mirrors and trunk popper and heater control, etc. It does. Success! I could have done the stereo today but I need to modify the glove box to run a cable for my phatnoise unit, so I decided that would happen later. The console goes in after I get the shifter in as well, which will happen when I get the motor out.

So next stop, motor teardown! I borrowed an ECU removal tool to measure up so I can make my own, because I already needed it once, and I figure this won't be the last time I remove an ECU.

I'm very tired.
      Last edited by LloydDobler; 07-09-2014 at 03:20 AM.
      2003 C70 T5M Convertible - Eibachs, Koni FSDs, Enkei RSF5s, OBX downpipe, Snabb intake, RIP kit, & drop-in intercooler, Quaife LSD, 19T, Green Giants, 22 psi Hilton tune.
      2006 V70R M66 - Sonic Blue/Nordkap, 2.4 T5 motor, Snabb intake & intercooler, IPD oval exhaust, stock turbo and tune (for now).

Good job lot of work I see you said you change cabin filter I have a 04 convertible and there nothing in my manual about a cabin filter does my car have one or did they stop putting them in
      10 Cadillac Escalade Black
      04 C70 HPT convertible Nautic blue
      91 240 volvo Wagon Red

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

You have one. They probably don't list it in the manual because it's not considered a user-serviceable item, more of a mechanic-only thing. It's under the black cowl cover, you have to remove the windshield wiper arms, then remove 5 screws across the front and it lifts out. Then you can see it like my picture.

This is awesome. Enjoy seeing your project come together. It will look even better when you put that great-looking black top on it. :-P

For the cabin filter - I have never had to remove the wiper arms. Just remove the adjacent cowl cover screws (and I think a rubber moulding) far enough to gain access. You have to flex the plastic but it can be done.

SO much easier than changing the filter my wife's 2006 C70!

Ah,good point. I've had too many old cars with brittle plastic, I always assume plastic isn't flexible. I just did the one on my V70 too and it required contorting myself into the passenger footwell.

Hey, That Was My Carpet and Dash!
      2006 S60R, ELECTRACAMA original owner, 20G
      2006 XC90 with B5244T5 w K24 and STEVO tune
      1983 Flatnose
      www.dynamicimportservice.com
      720-600-6085

I'll spare you some grief: I damaged the dash taking it out so it's no longer perfect.

I mean, the damage is on the bottom edge by the carpet, but you and I both know it's there!

Quote Originally Posted by LloydDobler View Post
      You have one. They probably don't list it in the manual because it's not considered a user-serviceable item, more of a mechanic-only thing. It's under the black cowl cover, you have to remove the windshield wiper arms, then remove 5 screws across the front and it lifts out. Then you can see it like my picture.
      Thanks I can do that jest odd a cabin filter on a convertible wen you can put the top down and breath all the dirty air you want lol
      10 Cadillac Escalade Black
      04 C70 HPT convertible Nautic blue
      91 240 volvo Wagon Red

True that, but really its best use is to keep your ductwork clean so you don't blow dirt around in the car. I can't tell you how many old 240s I've gotten into where firing up the fan blows actual dirt in your face. Also if you drive the car year round, the filter is nice for when the top is up. Not that I would know anything about that.

I forgot to mention in my last post that I also swapped side mirrors due to heavy scratches on both of the 03 housings, and I realigned the passenger door. It's had some work done to it at some point, as the hinge bolts had all the paint knocked off of them and the rubber wiring boot isn't attached right. I had to add about 1/8" worth of shims to the bottom hinge to get the door to close straight, but it is perfect now. Also the front of the door was rubbing on the fender, so that's solved as well.

So tonight I cleaned out the garage from all the work I did on Sunday, picked up tools, put junk parts on my porch, boxed up the things I'm keeping, etc. Then I decided to go ahead and do the timing belt. First I drop the engine on to a dolly so I can maneuver it.

This opening is here in the block so you can remove the automatic torque converter bolts. I use this trick to lock the crank while undoing crank pulley nuts.

New parts lined up against old. The old ones were in great condition, as they should be with only 63k miles on them. But I decided to do this now, because it's only an hour of work with easy access and the coolant already drained vs 3-4 hours when the engine is in the car.

Muuuuuuuch easier.

I decided to remove the lower timing cover to make cleaning the water pump mounting surface easier.

This was a nightmare with the engine in the car. The frame rail passes right in front of this, so it's almost impossible to accurately torque these bolts. Out of the car? Cake.

All buttoned up with tensioner dialed in, cranked around a couple times to make sure the pulleys are timed right:

And done. I didn't think the engine would have any coolant left in it, but it did. Kitty litter to the rescue.

I also decided to learn from my dashboard experience and check the part numbers on the wiring harnesses, since there are big white labels with the number right on them. This harness and the one in the car are identical. So I can leave all this wiring hooked up and just swap direct. I'm very glad about that.

Next up: Beginning teardown of the 03 engine bay!

Denver had its first cold snap of the year, it was 11 degrees Monday morning. Sunday was a high of 20, but I had my daughter an extra day so I wasn't gonna work on my car anyway. But, I called Lucky at ARD and talked about my plans for this car, and decided it's time for the tune. So I need an ECU tool, and I'm pretty crafty so I figured I'd make one instead of renting or borrowing one. And forget buying one, they want $78 dealer wholesale!

First I measured one at my trusty Volvo shop, and did a quick model.

Next I extricated my ECU socket from the wiring harness of my 04. It was harder than it looked. Then I decided to use the TCU as a test mule, since I hope to never use it again.

The side pins engage the yellow plastic cradle while the end slots engage those tabs on the pink sliders.

So then I built one. I decided that those 3 side pins were only there to keep it from coming out, but pushing on it does the same thing so I decided to skip those. Then I used cap screws for the pivot pins, shortened to the thickness of the aluminum. This is technically what engineers would call "marginal" but it's a tool that will be used no more than 20-30 times in its life, so if they last that long I'm okay with it.

Let's try it out! Again on the TCU so if I screw something up it's not something I care about.

It works! Although aluminum was a bad choice, you have to push really hard when all the wires are in there. It flexed and bowed but in the end it works.

I need both of these out if I'm going to keep the wiring harness on the motor.

And I decided to dig in and get the plugs extracted from the socket on the car. Now the harness is disconnected and I can pull the motor without stripping it from each sensor.

And just for reference, Volvo used to have the removal tool as part of the ECU which was nice. It's irritating that they went away from this. Building the tool took me an hour, so that's money well saved.

The last good news I have is that Lucky confirmed that I can use the '98 ECU as a standalone unit as long as I wire up the right wires, which is what I wanted to do for my 122 project, as I really don't have the patience for learning to tune homebrew engine control like megasquirt.

When are you going to be driving this thing!?!
      2005 XC70
      -Pioneer Avic F700 - 12 inch Alpine Type R Sub - IPD Blue Silcone Hoses - OBX Catback - Custom Window Tint - Custom Mesh Grille

Gonna be mid January at least. It's been nut-shrinking cold here for the last 2 weeks so I've just spent all my free time curled up on the couch. This weekend is lost to holiday plans, and the week after that I visit family out of state for the holidays so I won't be finishing till after I get back.

Only updates to note, I got my Snabb intake, and I polished a black spot on the passenger door out, that I thought was paint damage. Turns out it was just tar or rubber from another door rubbed off on to mine. On the down side, I found evidence that the passenger side of the car has been repainted, although it's very well done, was obviously a very professional job. But that explains the passenger door misalignment.

Two things I learned from spending an hour slowly reading this thread:

1.The ME7 exhaust manifold that's been sitting in my room for some time now is the well sought-after Japanifold!

2.While under my car i've always wondered what that opening was b/w the block and the gearbox, it turns out it is there to give access to the automatic torque converter bolts.

Sorry about the 04, glad everything's working out!
      http://i.imgur.com/UyyILJe.jpg
      ¡Vivo! 850 T5 16T 019-Black Stone
      JUNKED&PARTING pm me for batch of 850/X70 parts!
      "That's why we drive old cars and try to act proud of it." -RSPi

BUMP! Where is our update?!?
      2005 XC70
      -Pioneer Avic F700 - 12 inch Alpine Type R Sub - IPD Blue Silcone Hoses - OBX Catback - Custom Window Tint - Custom Mesh Grille

Hehehe I came home from vacation to a full week of sub 10 degree weather (highs in the 20s, single digits during garage hours), literally zero motivation to spend any time in it! The weather broke today so I probably would have updated tonight even if you hadn't bumped the thread. But it's nice to know you care.

I did get my ARD tune back and I ordered some pieces I need, a clutch switch and a new hood latch handle, and an OEM pocket for under the stereo.
      Last edited by LloydDobler; 03-05-2019 at 07:54 AM.

Great to see the progress hear, and the good and informative pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by LloydDobler View Post
      You can only just remove the two screws at the passenger side and you can slide the filter out. Wiper arms + full cover can stay.

Yeah, I never think of just flexing the plastic.

Well, It's been a month of holidays and lazy weekends and dang cold weather. Sucked all the motivation right out of me.

Since last time I ordered and received a Snabb intake:

Also got my ECU back with the green sticker of tune on it!

So I started tearing in to the car in prep for removing the engine. I was debating removing the radiator, until the radiator made the choice made for me.

So I decided it'd be easier to work on the car with the bumper off and also reduce my likelihood of scratching the bumper. As I cranked the bolts out I was greeted with this! One of the bolt holes in the bumper filled up with water. I'll have to figure out a drain for it when I put it back together.

So as I tore things down I was greeted with more evidence of front end repaint, silver overspray on one of the headlight wiper hoses. When I got the bumper off, it had this sticker inside indicating it was molded in 08 so it's been replaced some time after that.

The bumper core however is original, with a date code of 2002.

Next I could see overspray on the inside plastic pieces of the bumper.

On the other hand, the AC condenser is original with a date code of 2002:

I tore it down this far...

Basically to get at this one ground point and to be able to pull this harness out of the car. I could probably have accomplished it by just removing the headlight, but it's really not that hard to pull the entire front core support off.

So now the radiator is out. Also date coded 2002. Original radiator in a 10 year old Volvo, absolutely amazing. Also explains why the upper hose mount just snapped off in my hand.

I pulled the intake tube down off the throttle body. That's... not oil, it's water. ewwww!

Ground cable has seen better days, I'll use the one from the 04.

So here's where I left it after a couple hours of nice easy labor.

This is something I've never done before, I'm going to try to keep the AC system sealed during the swap. It is still holding pressure so I'd rather not waste the refrigerant if I can avoid it.

Now I have very easy access to the underside of the ECU socket, where I have to add one wire for the cruise control, and jumper two of the wires on the TCU side which will allow me to remove the TCU as well. I just have to ask Lucky which two wires.

I might actually get the engine dropped tomorrow, if I'm not too sore and/or tired. But progress has been made! I also now have to decide whether to spend $480 on one of Lucky's all aluminum radiators or just buy an OEM for less than half that. The aluminum one is very tempting considering the plastic side mounts are really easily broken on the stock radiator. It's only money, right?
      Last edited by LloydDobler; 07-09-2014 at 03:21 AM.

The bumper covers come prepainted. So why the overspray?

I bought my 70 used so it had been subjected to the used car prep treatment - clear coat on the engine and "detailing" - meaning silver spray paint on the lower parts to hide curb rash.

Maybe that's it.
      Last edited by flat_six; 01-23-2013 at 03:12 PM.

I'm guessing the original bumper was dinged up and resprayed and then they dinged it up again and opted for replacement the 2nd time. Other interesting dates are that the driver side headlight has a date code of 2004, but the passenger was original. I haven't checked the turn signals.

And yet another update! I was hoping to get the motor out tonight but it was not meant to be. I did however get a box of parts.

I got some parts for my V70, and for this car I got a stereo pocket, hood latch handle, and clutch position sensor. Since some of the parts were dealer-only, I added the rest out of convenience.

This is the exact same stereo pocket as my V70, except this one is sprayed with flocking and my V70 pocket is rubber coated. I think I like the rubber coating better, but this beats the crap out of the aftermarket DIN pocket of hard plastic with too large of a border. If anyone wants it, it's Volvo p/n 9150773, $26.92 from Tasca.

-edit: I just checked the part number of the rubber coated pocket in my V70 thread and it's the same! So apparently they waver back and forth on which coating to use and flocking is the flavor of the month. So roll the dice if you're hoping for rubber, you might not get it.

The hood latch handle was broken like so:

New one snaps in like so:

Here's the stock intake tube, for those who haven't seen one out of the car. See how bad it necks down?

Side by side with poor flash so you really can't see how small it necks down, but trust me it's small:

The real benefit of this intake is both throttle response, and glorious intake noise. I haven't seen one negative review.

So for the rest of the night I fully disconnected the rest of the engine connections, so it is ready to drop out. It hit about 7:30 and I decided that the next step is really to drop the motor and that's too ambitious of a project for a wednesday night. So sunday is my next window for working on the car, which should give me a nice long day to figure out exactly how to get it done.

Oh, as a bonus I saw the date code on the coolant reservoir is 3/11, so that was just replaced. Probably in an attempt to solve the coolant leak, which is coming from under the turbo.
      Last edited by LloydDobler; 07-09-2014 at 03:22 AM.

By the way - most certainly, defnitely, positively - get the aluminum radiator.

Plastic tanks suck. I'm on my third OEM unit. There's a good reason the 2006 C70 went with all aluminum.

Spend the coin and then no worries.

AND - with all that great hardware on the intake side, what will you do on the exhaust side?
      Last edited by flat_six; 01-24-2013 at 10:05 AM.

I forgot to mention I bought an OBX downpipe, you can see it blurry off to the right in the ECU pic above. I'm not going to install it until I get through emissions though, we have horror stories around here of aftermarket cats not passing.

Doesn't your 03 or 04 motor have the stubby tstat housing? (02+ s60/v70 style with the ect without the 3" of wire before the connector) I'm not sure how you would install the radiator in your model. I put one of "ARD's" radiators in my 98 R and am about to put one in my 99 T5M. In order to do it in the 99 I have to change the top half of the thermostat housing to the 98 or 850 style with the bleeder hose fitting.
      Chanel: 99 S70 T5M: Rica tune, 18T & R manifold, OBX exhaust, EST intake, H&R springs, KONI Sports, IPD Swaybars, TCV & CBV

Yeah, I have the new style housing but what does that have to do with the radiator? It just uses a different hose, no? I am seriously considering changing the thermostat housing though just because I hate the idea of paying $100+ for a [email protected]%!# thermostat. I'd just buy one off a junkyard 01 or 02. I just hadn't looked at the differences in temp sensor yet.

98 and earlier cars don't have a nipple on the radiator for the bleeder hose on the reservoir. The hose is short and goes to the thermostat housing. The 99-01's have the same housing but no bleeder hose on it... The hose goes from the reservoir to the radiator (above the upper hose). The later style thermostats don't fail that often... But are much more difficult to install. I haven't tried to change out the housings but it should work. You may have to reuse you ect, because I am pretty sure the plugs are different.
      Chanel: 99 S70 T5M: Rica tune, 18T & R manifold, OBX exhaust, EST intake, H&R springs, KONI Sports, IPD Swaybars, TCV & CBV

Just curious, whats your spring/strut combo consist of?

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishScott View Post
      98 and earlier cars don't have a nipple on the radiator for the bleeder hose on the reservoir.
      Ah, that makes sense. The cool part with an aluminum rad is that I could probably add that on with a drill and tap.

Quote Originally Posted by Zygonster View Post
      Just curious, whats your spring/strut combo consist of?
      I vaguely list it in my signature but it's this here kit right here:

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...autoModClar=HT

Ah, what a great Sunday afternoon, 60 and sunny, let's swap motors!

Let's tear down the suspension and see what's up! Crap, need new sway bar links.

Crap, need new tie rod ends:

Crap, need new rotors

Crap, need new control arms.

Crap, need new wheel bearings, crap, need new EVERYTHING under the front end. I mean, I still have my 63k wheel bearings and steering rack so that's not a total loss, but I was hoping to put it back together as-is. I already have new struts and upper mounts and everything there, so it's not such a big deal, but it's still an additional $400 or so that I was hoping not to spend right now. Plus I wanted to get my new brakes powder coated after the project was done, but now I have to do it right away.

To top it all off, as I went to lift, I failed the hydraulic ram on the harbor freight engine hoist! I overloaded it I know, so I feel really stupid. I was trying to jack the car up off the motor, and it hooked on the motor as I lifted so it put waaaaaay more weight on it than it should have had. So I rolled the car back in on dollies and burned the rest of the day in front of the TV. Tonight I made a trip to HF and broke down and not only got a new ram, but bought the load leveler I need to take the motor out the top. I also gambled on their sockets, as I don't have any 1/2" drive metric sockets. I always used my 1/2" to 3/8" adapter, which I finally broke a few weeks ago removing some junkyard V70 struts that someone assembled with a friggin impact.

So that ruined my Sunday, and then tonight it's 30° and snowing, to continue through the day tomorrow. Ugh.
      Last edited by LloydDobler; 07-09-2014 at 03:22 AM.

Well.... days like that just make the good days even better.

I'm getting the idea that this car was used to herd cattle on a ranch or something.

Bright side: all those bits would have worn out soon enough anyway - this way it will be all fresh up front.

Good point! Keep up the good work, Lloyd.

I love this thread!

I hadn't thought about drilling and taping for a fitting... I did play with an 04 housing and a 99-01 and you can remove your ect and use it in the lower half of the earlier housing if your wiring will reach. Use an 99 style housing, 98 style top and your original ect sensor... Just a thought. Probably a lot harder to do than tap the radiator end tank.

I want the old style thermostat housing anyway, because screw paying $110 for a thermostat when they fail.

In other news I decided against the aluminum radiator and put the money in to all silicone hoses in the engine bay. Dropped about a grand today on front end hardware, this car will basically be brand new underneath when I'm done.
      Last edited by LloydDobler; 01-31-2013 at 11:58 PM.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast