The nice thing about spilled dried Coke, it cleans up really easily. At least good enough for parts that are invisible most of the time:
Saw, saw, grind, grind:
The rubber cover fits:
Doesn't look weird or anything, even though it is slightly domed compared to the normal manual pedal. Still, now I have a known undamaged pedal. I don't even think I'll worry about painting it, as the odds of it seeing water are nil.
Cha-ching! You always find change when you get down to carpet level.
So at this point I tried to jam the shifter through the firewall and after about half an hour of tearing my arms up I remembered why I wanted to wait till the motor was out. It's a bitch. I can still install it fairly easily with the carpet and dash in, it just means the console goes in last. I can live with that.
After that I decided to move on to the center channel speaker in the dash, which I hope to sell. My center channel was not working so I decided to explore why. First, here's the speaker with the grille off:
It happens to be all seized up, so I started exploring. It's an interesting design, with the magnet and voice coil on top of the cone. The upper magnet was split in half:
The lower magnet was shedding its plating and becoming powdered by the friction of the speaker moving, until the speaker just jammed up on it.
Here you can see where the voice coil was dragging on it.
Bottom line, I took the speaker out and measured the mounting depth:
It only has about 1-3/4" but you can cut a hole in this flat panel and get another half inch or so:
Other than that it's a standard 5-1/4" form factor speaker wired in 4 ohm mono (the driver and tweeter are each 8 ohm, wired in parallel) so it can be replaced with pretty much anything that isn't too deep. Anyone interested in a complete dolby system minus the speaker, check the for sale forum.
I also pulled the steering wheel and it's up for sale too.