Lessons Learned
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lessons Learned

Lessons Learned

1) Sweden is EXPENSIVE

2) Look the car over very thoroughly at delivery, checking for all ordered options--they forgot my front mud flaps, and I didn't notice 'till after the delivery center was closed for the day.

3) Did I mention that Sweden is expensive?

4) The factory tour is well worth the time spent

5) Go in the spring, summer, or fall for more recreational opportunities

His 2016 XC90 T6
      Hers 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL450

Former
      2016 XC 60 R-Design
      2012 XC70 3.2 AWD Twilight Bronze / Mocha
      2006 XC90 Ocean Race; 2004 S60R Silver / Nordkap
      2003 X3 3.0; 1996 328is; 1989 720i (GDM); 1985 M535i, (GDM) RIP; 1980 BMW 320i

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Lessons Learned (Ljungeld)

Expensive? Well, I as a Swede myself I feel that the price difference between Sweden and other European countries is much smaller today than 10-years ago. While skiing in Italy 2 weeks ago I found prices in mountain restaurants to be even higher than in Sweden’s ski resorts... Although I agree that beer and other alcohol is a LOT more expensive in Sweden!
      If you find Sweden expensive, then don't even think about going to Norway. Norwegians come to Sweden because of the low prices here...

1) Sweden is EXPENSIVE, It's a bargain compared to London

2) Look the car over very thoroughly at delivery, checking for all ordered options--they forgot my front mud flaps, and I didn't notice 'till after the delivery center was closed for the day. See the checklist linked to from our website http://www.MYXC90.COM

3) Did I mention that Sweden is expensive? yes, you did twice, it is compared to the USA

4) The factory tour is well worth the time spent,

5) Go in the spring, summer, or fall for more recreational opportunities

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I'd like to add that cars cannot be dropped off for export at Gothenburg between 1630 Friday and Monday morning. Not having this information ahead of time is forcing a late change in travel plans for me.

Re: Lessons Learned

FWIW, I also has a long delay in getting the printed order paperwork (weeks instead of 10 days). After 10 days I personally called Volvo and they couldn't find my order in the system. I then called the dealer and had a phone call with the order number within 12 hours and a fax of the order within 24 hours. The delivery dates were wrong and I had several calls to straighten them out. Unfortunately the Volvo order people refuse to send updated paperwork with the corrected date, even after repeated calls from the dealer and myself. I think the Volvo order people are the weak link in the chain. Anyway, with the phoned in order number I called Volvo travel (still no order paperwork in hand) and they immediately helped me a lot setting up the trip. They were very up front that the car could not be delivered on the weekend and scheduled everything to make it work (pickup on Tuesday and drop off on Friday). They have also adjusted connection times to help since my wife hurt her foot after the original itinerary was agreed to. If the FDC is half as good as Volvo travel I look forward to a great adventure. Thanks for the delivery checklist and the other great tips from all who wrote about their OSD experience. I will post a comprehensive review when I return so I can add to the collective experience of the group.

Modified by jajohnson at 1:50 PM 2-14-2004

Re: Lessons Learned (jajohnson)

Quote, originally posted by jajohnson »
      FWIW, I also has a long delay in getting the printed order paperwork (weeks instead of 10 days). After 10 days I personally called Volvo and they couldn't find my order in the system. I then beat on the dealer and had a phone call with the order number within 12 hours and a fax of the order within 24 hours. The delivery dates were wrong and I had several calls to straighten them out. Unfortunately the Volvo order people refuse to send updated paperwork with the corrected date, even after repeated calls from the dealer and myself. I think the Volvo order people are the weak link in the chain. Anyway, with the phoned in order number I called Volvo travel (still no order paperwork in hand) and they immediately helped me a lot setting up the trip. They were very up front that the car could not be delivered on the weekend and scheduled everything to make it work (pickup on Tuesday and drop off on Friday). They have also adjusted connection times to help since my wife hurt her foot after the original itinerary was agreed to. If the FDC is half as good as Volvo travel I look forward to a great adventure. Thanks for the delivery checklist and the other great tips from all who wrote about their OSD experience. I will post a comprehensive review when I return so I can add to the collective experience of the group.

I am shocked that you could not get updated order papers. I get them all the time... That is very strange...I do n ot think that the Volvo employees (who handle the order) are weak. The weak link is somewhere else...

Yannis

2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

Re: Lessons Learned (GrecianVolvo)

I agree with Yannis. I get things handled promptly by the Volvo staff daily. Additionally, Yannis and I work with two different people at the Volvo Overseas Delivery Department. So the problem is surely somewhere else.

William

William

Go on a Journey for Life...
      " See Sweden by Volvo "
      Click ^^ to take first step

Re: Lessons Learned (William)

Sorry, guys, but that is basically irrelevant to the customer. However, my posts regarding the problems associated with getting order confirmation very late shouldn't be construed as anger or frustration; it's just information to others who may be following in my footsteps. Especially since I'm apparently not the only one. I'm still very happy to be getting a Volvo on OSD.

Re: Lessons Learned (C DIEM)

Not to be argumentative, but when I personally call the Overseas delivery Department and am told that they will not send out an updated order confirmation, then I am justified in saying that IMHO the weak link is with Volvo OSD.

It is possible that some of the order and confirmation delays could have been with the dealer as well, but that is still a Volvo problem. I ordered a Volvo from their agent and what I was told would would happen did not happen as promised.

I also am not trying to tell anyone they should not do OSD. I would do it again (at this point). I am simply passing on what happened to me. Others reading my input can decide how they wish to use the knowledge.

The FDC was great, a couple of lucky people received cars with more then they ordered (no extra charge), one had a wrong tranny I think which they arranged to fix.

Quote, originally posted by C DIEM »
      Sorry, guys, but that is basically irrelevant to the customer. However, my posts regarding the problems associated with getting order confirmation very late shouldn't be construed as anger or frustration; it's just information to others who may be following in my footsteps. Especially since I'm apparently not the only one. I'm still very happy to be getting a Volvo on OSD.

Next time use Yannis or William

Yannis took care of everything for us, very timely and accurate!

Re: Lessons Learned (webpj)

pj,

I think what John and I are saying is that things are different now from what you experienced 5-7 months ago. The dealer may or may not have any influence on this. Neither of us know. Moreover, I'm most comfortable working with the dealer at which I get the vehicle serviced.

As an example of the issue I'm facing because of late planning -- I'm forced into a Copenhagen layover because the flight to the US that would get us home on the same day is fully booked. So I get to spend x hundred dollars more than necessary. An evening in Copenhagen isn't a bad thing, and I'm not complaining. It's safe to say OSD is getting behind, probably due to their success.

I'm glad that you had a wonderful experience, and I'm sure I will, too. But I wish I could have anticipated these "issues" so that I didn't have to work through them in a hurry. We're changing plans on a daily basis -- probably until our fifteen day limit for decision making is up. The fact that I'm headed out of town for week during this period doesn't help.

Per your request in another thread, I hope to provide a photographic diary of our trip, which will include Barcelona plus several days in St. Petersburg.

As an example of the issue I'm facing because of late planning -- I'm forced into a Copenhagen layover because the flight to the US that would get us home on the same day is fully booked. So I get to spend x hundred dollars more than necessary. An evening in Copenhagen isn't a bad thing, and I'm not complaining. It's safe to say OSD is getting behind, probably due to their success.

But how can you blame OSD for "getting behind, prbably due to their success"??? When you claim that the not-so-ideal flight arrangements took place mainly because of late planning??? I know the people who work behind the scenes in the OSD and they are not amateurs. They have also added to their staff and their goal is to preserve the seamless experience that OSD can be (and is 99% of the time)...Mishaps take place (like everything else in life) but they are not due to carelessness or else...

Yannis

2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

pj,

I think what John and I are saying is that things are different now from what you experienced 5-7 months ago. The dealer may or may not have any influence on this. Neither of us know. Moreover, I'm most comfortable working with the dealer at which I get the vehicle serviced.....

Per your request in another thread, I hope to provide a photographic diary of our trip, which will include Barcelona plus several days in St. Petersburg.

I can understand why you feel the way you do, however, it has been my experience over the 20+ years of car ownership once the sale is done, your done! Your car can go anywhere there is a dealer for the brand for service and warranty work. The whole patronage thing from the dealers doesn't last long after the sale, good dealers provide good service regardless of where the car was bought (No ifs ands or buts about it! IMHO).

As an example we bought a 1996 Grand caravan and only took it to the selling dealer once or twice for service because it was so difficult to get an appointment, we took it down the street from that point on to a Chrysler dealer which gave truly outstanding service both in and out of warranty, never a problem getting an appt , good work etc etc etc.

Thank you for considering taking photo's etc, I will gladly offer some assistance if desired once you return and upload your photo's. I hope you have a great time.

Yannis knows what he's doing and he is very well connected with the TDS people, he knows who to call and gets things done. It was my experience with the local dealers... more than one that this was not the case. BTW I my car was delivered home to one of the 2 and they were fantastic doing the final delivery back home. Yes, they asked why I didn't use them and I very politely informed then of the difficulties we experienced when we placed the order and made local inquiries. All the dealers want you to think they do this well (MHO) however if they aren't doing it all the time I would expect difficulties when things aren't going picture perfect.

Cheers to you and enjoy your adventure!
      !

I'd like to add that cars cannot be dropped off for export at Gothenburg between 1630 Friday and Monday morning. Not having this information ahead of time is forcing a late change in travel plans for me.

Your salesperson should have provided you with a copy of the FDC's daily hours and regulations...

Yannis

Everything didn't go exactly as planned with our order either, it is a very complicated process ordering a car state side, collecting the money in advance, travel planning, pick up and drop off planning , chauffering buyers around, order changes etc. When we hit a snag, Yannis was all over it making sure it got fixed toot sweet, even the day of our departure when the flight was canceled, between my call to the tds office and his inquiries alternate arrangements were made to ACCOMODATE US! It is very difficult planning a trip overseas when you have small children you are leaving behind who all go to different schools!

Quote, originally posted by webpj »
      The FDC was great, a couple of lucky people received cars with more then they ordered (no extra charge), one had a wrong tranny I think which they arranged to fix.

Mine was the one with the wrong transmission. Got the standard automatic with my V70 AWD. Just happened to be made during a transition to make the geartronic standard on the car. Took car of it, no problem. Was kind of a shock though.

We were over there last October and have to add that if a person is thinking about OSD, go during the spring and summer months (or early fall) cause alot of thing shut down in Sept.

And as for things being expensive, I actually spent less than we thought so we were happy about that.

As for my thoughts on OSD, I loved it and can't wait to do it again.

Re: Lessons Learned (bigtomhammer)

What day did you pick up your car? We were there on 10/13

I agree spring/summer would be better. Fall wasn't bad as a 3rd choice. I'd avoid November through March if possible.

What day did you pick up your car? We were there on 10/13

We were there 10/27 when COMark was there. We came back on the same plane.

Tom

I'd avoid November through March if possible.

We were told that Corporate Travel handled ~500 OSD clients last month (hence the logjam), so a lot of people are doing this during the winter. My reason for doing so was to have the car back here by summer, although a trip through Scandanavia in the summer or fall would have been nice, too.

Our experience was nearly flawless. Being self-educated in the process helps a lot, and having a dealer/salesperson who #1, knows the process #2, is willing to chase down details, makes all the difference. and

SWEDEN is very expensive

I guess I can't tyep today

Modified by COMark at 11:16 AM 2-12-2004

2013 S80 T6 OSD #2
      2008 G37 Coupe
      2004 XC90 OSD #1

I'd avoid November through March if possible.

Don't discount the winter. Our trip just before Christmas was very nice, with all of the decorations, holiday shopping, and winter Christmas markets, in Sweden, Barcelona and Copenhagen. Although Sweden and Denmark were cold (not Barcelona), it wasn't crowded, and I'd do it again. Only problem was there wasn't any snow to try out the AWD on. In Sweden, we ventured up north along the coast and took in castles, forts and fishing towns, but because it was winter, not everything was open for tourists. And yes, Sweden and Copenhagen were expensive, as the dollar hit a new low while we visited.

I'd avoid the Volvo City shop; overpriced for gimmicky items.

Barcelona was not expensive, and with the holiday atmosphere, it was a great experience. Spanish leather, wine and food was very reasonable.

We also had some trouble with the confirmation info, where my original confirmation papers had the wrong pricing. But the Volvo folks fedex'd me the proper papers before my trip. I advise giving yourself plenty of time between ordering and your travel departure date to manage contingencies.

The Volvo travel reps were especially helpful, reversing our XC pick up date to accommodate our flight schedule (picking up the truck first and then proceeding with our Sweden/Spain tour, which did give us our jet lag when we picked up our truck, just after arriving in Europe; one hour after arriving in Gotenborg; had to avoid the beer with the Volvo cafeteria Swedish meatball lunch or we would have fallen asleep), and helped with an added overnight stay in Copenhagen, which we enjoyed.

Re: Lessons Learned (ricky lee)

Quote, originally posted by ricky lee »

I'd avoid the Volvo City shop; overpriced for gimmicky items.

I agree, skip it! You aren't missing anything

why is there so much talk about Barcelona?
      2004 XC90 2.5T AWD (OSD purchase - June)(for towing/camping and backroad journeys)(100,000 miles); 2008 C30 T5 (MT) OSD purchase (December)(mine); 2004 Porsche Boxster (used)(hers); 2007 Prius (handed down)

Re: (adp)

Barcelona is one of the two cities available in a Winter Travel offer with a Volvo Overseas Delivery purchase. This special is available from October 23, 2003 through April 15, 2004.

Here is more information about it...

http://www.flyvolvo.com/msg16.htm

William

William

Go on a Journey for Life...
      " See Sweden by Volvo "
      Click ^^ to take first step

I should have mentioned that I did not actually purchase the car through OSD program, but through the Military Sales program. Both are great, but those of you using OSD should really consider taking advantage of the great travel options available.

As I said:

1) Sweden is EXPENSIVE: $100 FOR DINNER FOR TWO = EXPENSIVE, period. Next night, same thing. Quality and service was good, but neither of these expensive meals featured truffles, caviar, or linen napkins. I'm sure there were less expensive dining options, which we would have sought more diligently if we weren't "on vacation".

The restaurants were "A Hereford Beefstrouw" and The "Question Mark" (I can't remember the Swedish name, which translates to "question mark".

2) Look the car over very thoroughly at delivery...I had an excellent checklist. Too bad I wasn't given the luxury of time to go through it and the car carefully. We had the first appointment of the morning, but according to our delivery rep, some of her colleagues had called in sick that day (Friday).

4) The factory tour is well worth the time spent...I wish there'd been an opportunity to ask questions, though.

5) Go in the spring, summer, or fall for more recreational opportunities.

Going in winter may have advantages if all you want to do is pick up your car and get the heck out of Dodge. However, the maritime museum and Liseberg park--both of which would have been fun to visit--close for the winter season. I'm sorry I didn't note the exact dates...

By the way, the public transportation in Gothenburg is very easy to use, and cheaper than moving your car between parking facilities.

Also, for anyone not getting hotel accommodations included in their OSD package, we can recommend the Gothia Towers hotel as a less expensive alternative to the Radisson. Using Hotels.com (thanks to the person who posted a recommendation!) we were able to get two nights for two persons for $280 including breakfast and tax. I'm sure the Radisson is better, but this was half the Radisson's quoted price.

His 2016 XC90 T6
      Hers 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL450

Former
      2016 XC 60 R-Design
      2012 XC70 3.2 AWD Twilight Bronze / Mocha
      2006 XC90 Ocean Race; 2004 S60R Silver / Nordkap
      2003 X3 3.0; 1996 328is; 1989 720i (GDM); 1985 M535i, (GDM) RIP; 1980 BMW 320i

1) Sweden is EXPENSIVE: $100 FOR DINNER FOR TWO = EXPENSIVE, period. Next night, same thing. Quality and service was good, but neither of these expensive meals featured truffles, caviar, or linen napkins. I'm sure there were less expensive dining options, which we would have sought more diligently if we weren't "on vacation".

The restaurants were "A Hereford Beefstrouw" and The "Question Mark" (I can't remember the Swedish name, which translates to "question mark".

I can agree that 100$ for a meal at these restaurants is expensive! Wine and other alcohol is unfortunately often very expensive. Another big problem is that the dollar is a lot weaker today than a few years ago. 100$ is today approx 700 krona, two years ago 100$ would have given you almost 1100 krona...
      Sweden is expensive but I still think that the general price difference between Sweden and other European countries is a lot smaller today than 10-15 years ago... Things are getting better, but sloooow
      Anyhow, always bring your best credit card with you!

5) Go in the spring, summer, or fall for more recreational opportunities.

I totally agree!!

Quote, originally posted by Ljungeld »
      However, the maritime museum and Liseberg park--both of which would have been fun to visit--close for the winter season. I'm sorry I didn't note the exact dates...

Liseberg park IS open in the winter, at least in the month of December over the holidays (we were there Dec. 15-17), where they have a multi-million light show and a Christmas market. They had good crowds of visitors, even on week nights. Same goes for Copenhagen's downtown amusement park. The maritime museum was closed. I recommend doing a web search of events in Sweden; it'll tell you what is open and provides an event schedule (there is a connecting link to the Liesberg web site for dates).

Also, there is a great deal of road construction taking place in Gotenborg right next to the wharf/maritime district, making driving around there a little difficult. Looks like it'll be going on for quite a while (years).

I agree, skip it! You aren't missing anything

hey, that's where I found my ruby red die cast miniture XC90., and anything you buy in Sweden is pricy, doesn't matter much where you go.

We paid $75 at TGI Friday's in Stockholm for a not fancy at all meal with no alcohol.
      Probably cost half that in the states...

2013 S80 T6 OSD #2
      2008 G37 Coupe
      2004 XC90 OSD #1

Re: (adp)

Volvo OSD "had"? a special deal for either Barcelona or London whereby you get 3 days hotel in either city, airfare, transfers, and an extra hotel day in Seden for $495 for two people. The trip was in conjunction with the delivery. I say "had"? since I am unable to find the link on the Volvo site and my dealer said last night that the offer ends in April.

Re: (jajohnson)

Had an email exchange yesterday with the FDC, provided flight arrangements, received details of transportation from airport, pickup from hotel at 10:15 for delivery, and other information. Very responsive and great assistance! I thought I could only contact them the week before to make delivery arrangements but they said anytime, preferably in advance of a week before. Next time (that's right, I am already planning to do this again and I haven't even taken delivery yet) I will contact them as soon as I have firm flight arrangements.

Decided to lease and made arrangements with the dealer last night.

Ready to go! Anybody know locations of runestones and other historical features/landmarks that shouldn't be missed as we drive around the countryside for a few days?

Re: (jajohnson)

Quote, originally posted by jajohnson »
      Had an email exchange yesterday with the FDC, provided flight arrangements, received details of transportation from airport, pickup from hotel at 10:15 for delivery, and other information. Very responsive and great assistance! I thought I could only contact them the week before to make delivery arrangements but they said anytime, preferably in advance of a week before. Next time (that's right, I am already planning to do this again and I haven't even taken delivery yet) I will contact them as soon as I have firm flight arrangements.

Decided to lease and made arrangements with the dealer last night.

Ready to go! Anybody know locations of runestones and other historical features/landmarks that shouldn't be missed as we drive around the countryside for a few days?

If you have time, go to Oland, it's an island off the east coast accessible by bridge from Kalmar. LOTS of 2500 year old Viking Runestones and other very old structures. Kalmar has a wonderfully intact castle too. We really enjoyed this area

2013 S80 T6 OSD #2
      2008 G37 Coupe
      2004 XC90 OSD #1

Re: (COMark)

Quote, originally posted by COMark »

If you have time, go to Oland, it's an island off the east coast accessible by bridge from Kalmar. LOTS of 2500 year old Viking Runestones and other very old structures. Kalmar has a wonderfully intact castle too. We really enjoyed this area

Yes, Öland can be realy nice. Another good option is the Tanum area about 1,5 hours drive nort of Göteborg. Lots of rock carvings from the bronze age. http://www.vitlycke.bohusmus.se/

Re: (megapolaren)

Quote, originally posted by megapolaren »

Yes, Öland can be realy nice. Another good option is the Tanum area about 1,5 hours drive nort of Göteborg. Lots of rock carvings from the bronze age. http://www.vitlycke.bohusmus.se/

and Kings Cliff (Ingrid Bergmans home area) is that way too, very pretty area

2013 S80 T6 OSD #2
      2008 G37 Coupe
      2004 XC90 OSD #1

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast