SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

What did you do with your s60/V60 (2011+) today?

1M views 9K replies 645 participants last post by  T6dude 
#1 · (Edited)
Similar threads exist in the other forums. I posted a change to the pre-2011+ group under that thread and it was suggested that I post under the "proper" forum.

While I imagine purchasers of older models will be more likely to modify their cars than those of us who buy brand-new, I've already made some changes to mine.

1. Dealer installed trailer hitch
  2. LED License Plate Lights. First set would overheat, second set, sold as "License Plate Lights" still working fine (better heat handling?).
  3. Corrected dealer-install of trailer controller power -- was pulling off socket on hot side of fuse box instead of fused side. Added per-spec 40A fuse to that socket
  4. Ham radio antenna attached to trunk lid
  5. Ham radio body, CB radio body, and 12V socket installed in trunk, attached to subframe by existing fuse box. CB radio connected to power but not completely hooked up (fuse from lead pulled). Connected to same 40A circuit.
  6. Installed Proclip dash mount for Garmin Nuvi GPS and Ham radio head (display and mic)
  7. Installed 3-socket 12V socket under waterfall, wired into 12V socket in cup holder (wires all run under center console).
  8. Ran 3 CAT-5 cables from trunk to center console -- hidden in wiring tray and under dash. One used to connect Ham radio body and head. Other 2 for spare or something else (like connecting CB radio body and control/mic when I figure out the connections).
  9. Rotated tires around time of my first scheduled factory maint. visit.

I have pictures of all these changes if anyone cares. I posted those in the other forum.

The latest thing I've done to the car is change the oil. In the past I've changed oil in the 3500-5000 mile range (plan 3500, often don't get to until 5000) using semi-synth in non-turbo vehicles. With my model year, Volvo recommends a 7500 mile interval and semi-synth. For the first visit, I upgraded to full synth (and got a rebate for most of it from Casterol).

I just passed 11,000 so was due for an oil change. My steps:
  1. Car up on ramps, in park, parking brake on, back wheels chocked.
  2. Remove plastic/fiberglass cover plate (6 torx screws).
  3. Replace rear cover plate when I realize the engine was forward (6 torx screws)
  4. Remove plastic/fiberglass front cover plate (10 torx screws).
  5. Remove oil-fill cap.
  6. Remove drain plug and let oil drain.
  7. Realize that engine contains more oil than drain pan will hold (was fine for all other family cars).
  8. Replace oil-fill cap and then drain plug.
  9. Empty dran pan, make note to buy bigger one, resume draining oil (repeat #5&6).
  10. Grab sample of draining oil (more about this later).
  11. Wonder why there is no "crush washer" on the drain plug.
  12. Find crush washer on oil pan, remove.
  13. Put new crush washer on drain plug and install.
  14. Worry that you've stripped the drain plug threads when tightening down.
  15. Realize that a crushing crush washer will feel a lot like a stripped thread and that everything is OK.
  16. Remove filter cover with appropriate socket. No need to remove air inlet if you have knuckle and extension.
  17. Swap out internal filter cartridge and replace white-ish O-ring.
  18. Re-install filter cover and tighten down.
  19. Add oil. You did note the appropriate amount before getting your hands dirty, didn't you? (I did)
  20. Start engine, check for any warning lights, check for leaks, rev engine a bit, check for leaks, shut down engine.
  21. Reattach front bottom cover plate.
  22. Remove chocks, pull car off ramps.
  23. Note mileage, clean and put tools away, dispose of trash and used oil responsibly.
  24. Check oil level after a while to let oil drain out of engine galleries. I did this the next morning as it was dark out. Add oil if needed.

I'm sending an oil sample for testing -- if the results show at least 1/2 life left, I'll feel comfortable with the recommended oil change interval. If not, I'll change more frequently. I look at it as cheap insurance to care for my engine.

My previous car (2001 Mercury Sable LS 3.0L DOHC) had 178,000 miles when I got rid of it -- engine was fine. My cousin is driving it now.

See less See more
#3 ·
Crossed over 3,600 miles :)

#5 ·
Non OEM updates?

LED License Plate Lights (3000k)
Heads up display
Would like to add ambient lighting in footwells and center console armrest bin but just can't seem to get to it.

#6 ·
Non OEM updates?

LED License Plate Lights (3000k)
Heads up display
Would like to add ambient lighting in footwells and center console armrest bin but just can't seem to get to it.
What kind of Heads up display?

What's wrong with the existing lighting?

#7 ·
I made a trip to Puebla on the weekend. First "true" highway trip for my V60. It behaved perfect and it was lovely on the twisties of the highway.

Despite being exhausted on sunday after the loong wedding I went to and the drive back home, I gave it a very well deserved handwash plus a light wax coat. Looks like new right now.

#12 ·
I made a trip to Puebla on the weekend. First "true" highway trip for my V60. It behaved perfect and it was lovely on the twisties of the highway.

Despite being exhausted on sunday after the loong wedding I went to and the drive back home, I gave it a very well deserved handwash plus a light wax coat. Looks like new right now.
Wait, Mexico gets the V60 but we don't, WTF?

#10 ·
I took mine in for the 7500 mile service which happens to coincide with one year of ownership. Since the car came with "nav prep" I figured I'd add the nav system to it at this service. When they told me that it would cost $2200 I passed :).

#14 ·
I think you can add the Volvo/Garmin portable nav with sound going through the main speakers and voice control through the cell-phone microphone.

I understand the "regular" (built-in) Nav is expensive.

#11 ·
Did this a couple of weeks back, so hopefully it can still be included in the thread :)

After 15 months of ownership I felt throttle response was getting ever-so-slightly soft. So I had a session of locating all of the jubilee clips on the hoses which carry boost pressure from turbo outlet to intercooler, and intercooler to inlet on my V60 D3 (there are 11 clips, believe it or not).

All of these took at least half a turn, and in some cases a FULL turn of the bolt to snug them down firmly again. I believe this is because Volvo uses soft, flexible hoses which will compress / squish down a little under the clips over time, meaning the clip doesn't grip the hose as tightly.

It doesn't take much for one or more of the 11 joints to start weeping a tiny bit of boost pressure. Overall, this may contribute to lower performance.

Most of the clips were fairly accessible with a 7mm ring spanner (with the odd skinned knuckle / forearm) but there's one right under the sump, which meant raising the front of the car and dropping the undertray so I could get at it. This particular clip was not snug at all and needed quite a bit of tightening.

After doing this, the throttle response was noticeably sharper, and in-gear acceleration (40-60 in 4th, etc) a couple of tenths quicker than before.

This is something I've noticed on ALL my previous turbo cars -- considering that boost pressure is key to performance, most cars rarely leave the production line with ALL the boost pipework properly aligned and fully tightened. In turn, a lot of owners may never realise just how well their car could and should actually perform.

#15 ·
Traveled with friends in the Gateway VCOA to four local junk yards looking for parts to restore their older Volvos.............very interesting!! :)

Here is a photo from one of the yards....

#16 ·
We finally had enough snow to make driving interesting. I was able to get out to an area where I could play a bit. In some ways, the traction control and ABS make the car too stable -- I learned to drive with RWD and drum brakes. I turned off stability so I could play a bit -- even without the computer helping the car was very well behaved.

After spending time on snowy and muddy roads, I took my car to a touchless car wash.

No leaks.

I checked. I had the sunroof cover open and felt around as water was being sprayed.

Maybe the local car wash didn't use enough pressure. ;)

#17 ·
15,000 Mile Service

I had the 15,000 mile service done on Friday with full synth oil. With the rebate I had from the 7,500 mile service, the upgrade cost me <$10 -- plus I got a coupon for another $20 rebate!

Of course they changed the oil filter and cabin air filter. The wiper blades were also replaced as the tech noticed streaking.

Without prompting, sw 31295476-1 (ICM/TCM update according to
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?162153-Sensus-Update/page2 ) was applied. I was not having any problems with harsh downshifts or "hunting".

Sport mode is a little less "sporty". It appears the throttle position was remapped to make the increase less at light throttle. IIRC, I saw a consistent 30% increase in reported throttle position when shifting from Drive to Sport (keeping a steady foot pressure). Now I see about 10% at light throttle and the 30% at higher throttles. That should make it less likely to leap off the line by unintentially.

I had them check the charging system and battery as I was having the "headlight flicker" issue at low RPM (discussed in another thread) and seeing high voltages while driving (on OBD monitor). The system tested normal with "parasitic draw" within limits. I have not seen the charging system warning light, I was just being overly concerned.

Coolant was a touch low in the overflow (warning light came on 2 days ago), no leaks found.

Service time was estimated at 1.5 hours, took about 2 (I waited). During that time I had a nice chat with our salescritter and one of the back-office staff that we know through volunteer activities. The back-office person lost their OSD vehicle from Sandy too (Newark).

#18 ·
Transporting Wood

This photo shows why I really like my car. It handles the utility I need and looks good enough to go to social events in the city.

Carrying home a 2x4 8 foot piece of wood inside the car with the ski door open between the seats. Still room for the passenger.

#21 ·
This photo shows why I really like my car. It handles the utility I need and looks good enough to go to social events in the city.

Carrying home a 2x4 8 foot piece of wood inside the car with the ski door open between the seats. Still room for the passenger.

Nice, I use my S60's to lug around building material, and to my surprise I can fit a lot through either the ski door or with the seats folded down. I've even got bi-fold doors in my S60 by folding the front passenger seat flat.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

#20 ·
I really don't know. CEL can be caused by so many different things (including not tightening your gas cap properly); that's one reason I have an OBD reader. I have not gotten any CEL yet in my 15,000 miles. I didn't request the update because, except for the touchy gas pedal in Sport mode, I liked the way the car behaved.

The dealer should be able to help you. Bug them to get explanation of the CEL and resulting codes.

You could also go to an autozone and borrow an OBD reader to get the codes and then google their meaning. Then you can take that information to the dealer and say "X is bad, please fix". Remember, an educated consumer is a smart one!

#23 ·
Checked tracking from FedEx on Weathertech Floor Liners.
Checking tracking status on rear trunk mat from Amazon.
(both should arrive in next few days)
Looked into add on Heico parts!

#24 ·
State required safety/emissions (OBD check) inspection and bought new oil filter -- yesterday.
Buy oil (Castrol full synth) and change oil/filter -- this evening. 5000 miles since last change, I'll send a sample off for analysis.

#25 · (Edited)
Last week got clear bra and window tinting done. Now finally got my summers on. It feels great to be wearing proper shoes again. :) Next step, plasti-dip the emblems at the back and put on a few stickers. Will post pics when its done. Here she is for now:

P.S.: need more posts and more pics in this section :)

#27 ·
Detailed the wife's 2013 S60 T5 AWD: Washed, clay bar and wax (body/wheels)

#28 ·
Dipped the mirror covers and emblems. (Gloss Black)

It was a bit windy which ended up causing a bit of texture. Glossifier really helps make some of the imperfections not as noticeable. The emblems look fine, the mirrors could be redone, but it's not meant to be a long term thing. If I really wanted to keep the look, it's better just to repaint the caps.

#29 ·
I installed the R-Design tower strut brace in my wife's 2013 T5 AWD. The install took about 15 minutes and that included cutting out the holes for the bar to tie down; I didn't replace all the plastic parts because frankly they cost more to replace than what I paid for the bar. I think I did a clean enough job with the install that you can barely tell that there is something missing. I have to say there is definitely a difference when you add the strut brace. It flattened out the front end a bit, not drastically but it helped out and made the drive more enjoyable.

Here are some pics of the install:

#32 ·
Installed a set of 19s on our long-term S60 T5 AWD:

#34 ·
Agree would love to see pics of the 19" wheels. So you have those and the sway bar as the only change at this point?

Puredrive07 how much was the sway bar?

#36 ·
Yes - 19s and the IPD rear sway bar ($269)

I first fit the wheels to a '13 S60 R-Design last week:

I'll have some better picts of the T5 AWD, but here's a quick pict: