2013 S60 T5 AWD: Push Button Starting Problems! Any Help?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2013 S60 T5 AWD: Push Button Starting Problems! Any Help?

I just got my T5 about 3 weeks ago and so far love it, with one exception...

After being parked in a lot all day when I was at work, when I went to start the car it took about 5 or 6 seconds to start. The car sputters like it wants to start, but doesnt catch right away like it has every time before. Initially I thought it was a one time issue due to cold weather. However, the following morning, after being parked in my garage all night, I had the same issue and again after another day of sitting in the lot. When the car is warm, there does not seem to be any issue with starting, only seems to happen during a cold start.

I spoke to my sales guy and also called the dealership and spoke to a mechanic. Both seemed stumped by the problems, especially since the car is only 3 weeks old and has less than 500 miles. The mechanic though maybe something electrical. The sales guy thought it might be bad gas and the mechanic wasn't so sure. I filled up for the fist time a 2 days before and drove over 100 miles with no issue so I am inclined to throw out the bad gas issue also.

I have an appointment to take the car in this week, but was hoping someone had the same or similar issue so I can at least direct the mechanic. I have a feeling it will work fine for him (my luck)!

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Rockgirl2377 View Post

After being parked in a lot all day when I was at work, when I went to start the car it took about 5 or 6 seconds to start. The car sputters like it wants to start, but doesnt catch right away like it has every time before. Initially I thought it was a one time issue due to cold weather. However, the following morning, after being parked in my garage all night, I had the same issue and again after another day of sitting in the lot. When the car is warm, there does not seem to be any issue with starting, only seems to happen during a cold start.

I spoke to my sales guy and also called the dealership and spoke to a mechanic. Both seemed stumped by the problems, especially since the car is only 3 weeks old and has less than 500 miles. The mechanic though maybe something electrical. The sales guy thought it might be bad gas and the mechanic wasn't so sure. I filled up for the fist time a 2 days before and drove over 100 miles with no issue so I am inclined to throw out the bad gas issue also.

I have an appointment to take the car in this week, but was hoping someone had the same or similar issue so I can at least direct the mechanic. I have a feeling it will work fine for him (my luck)!

Welcome to Swedespeed, Kara.

A new Volvo with cold-start problems should store one or more trouble codes in one or more locations and the codes can be accessed by the tech at the Volvo dealer.

Even if the car starts ok for the tech, codes should still be "thrown" during the poor start "sputter".

Please let us know how this works out.

Thanks.

George Dill

Please do update this thread as you learn more. It might help others.
      2012 S60 T5 Vibrant Copper/Beechwood, Premium, heated seats, front/rear park assist. Via OSD (April 2012). All-Weather Mats and Mud Guards added at delivery, LED License plate lights once at home.

3,000 miles in 6 countries over 21 days during OSD.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Kara,

Since it seems to be a cold-start problem, take the car in the evening before so the dealer has it the first thing in the morning.

Good luck.
      2015.5 XC70 T6 Platinum Caspian Blue Metallic/Off Black, Heico Sport Suspension, IPD swaybar, Ferrita/TME Exhaust, Polestar #1640
      2014 XC60 R-Design Passion Red/Off Black, OSD, Savini BM7, Eibach Lowering Springs, IPD swaybar, Koni FSD, Polestar #1563
      2006 V70R 6M ElecSilver/Nordkap, 18" Pegs, Bell FMIC
      2004 S60R 6M TiGrey/Nordkap, 18" Ti Pegs, Bell FMIC, IPD Stage II, TME Exhaust, Eibachs, Quaife LSD

Conveniently, the car has not had the issue since the night the maintenance appointment was made. The plan was to take the car to the dealership on a Thursday night in an attempt to recreate the problem Friday morning.

On Thursday, I spoke with the dealership, let them know that I was no longer having the problem. The mechanic and I decided to cancel the appointment and monitor the car over the weekend (since our weather was to be crappy and cold again). We figured that if I wasn't having the problem that it would be difficult for them to recreate as well. If the problem happens again, then I will call the dealership to get it back in.

Ill update if/when I can get additional information on this.

Not sure if this issue was resolved for you, but it sounds a lot like something that I experienced in the first month of ownership (purchased 10/2012). I brought it in to my dealer who ended up diagnosing it as a fuel pump failure -- they said it was dropping pressure in colder temps. They replaced the fuel pump and the issue hasn't cropped up ever since.

Bulimba creek

Hi,

I just bought a certified 2013 S60 AWD about a week ago with 43,000 miles and a similar problem has started showing up now. I am in Indiana and it gets pretty cold in the morning. It did not show up when I was checking out the car before buying it. Has anyone found a fix for this or know what the problem could be? I will try post a video if I can...

Best,
      Kartik

Quote Originally Posted by tyagi2013_S60 View Post
      Hi,

I just bought a certified 2013 S60 AWD about a week ago with 43,000 miles and a similar problem has started showing up now. I am in Indiana and it gets pretty cold in the morning. It did not show up when I was checking out the car before buying it. Has anyone found a fix for this or know what the problem could be? I will try post a video if I can...

Best,
      Kartik
      A weak battery, a bit of water in the gasoline freezing in the filter -- or even in the pressure valve, can cause this.

Taking 2 or 3 seconds (at least that is how long it seems, probably 3 revolutions in the engine) would be totally normal in cold weather.

I assume by "certified" you mean Volvo CPO. If the problem recurs get to the dealer under warranty.

And let us know how you make out.
      2012 S60 T5 Vibrant Copper/Beechwood, Premium, heated seats, front/rear park assist. Via OSD (April 2012). All-Weather Mats and Mud Guards added at delivery, LED License plate lights once at home.

3,000 miles in 6 countries over 21 days during OSD.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockgirl2377 View Post

The t5 engine has a known issue with the fuel pumps. after the car has been sitting a while the fuel pressure drops off too much creating a extended start. this is caused by a fault triple check valve located inside the fuel pump. the car while running at idle has around 400kpa fuel pressure. when the car is shut off the pressure should drop no more than 100kpa. half way through the2013 model year Volvo changed this design of the triple valve and we no longer see this issue as often. this particular pump also throws a check engine light for fuel pressure regulator performance. this also is a problem with the fuel pump. the pump when you read out its duty cycle after it throws this code will be above its 35% +/- 5% specification at idle, usually it will be around 50%. bottom line is i think without looking at your car is you need a fuel pump.

I know how much you guys love it when old threads get bumped....

I took my '13 S60 T5 in for the 40k service today and mentioned the occasional hard start and they ended up replacing the fuel pump. I was told that there is a tech journal regarding this issue, so good news for anyone else who might be having the problem.
      2013 S60 T5 AWD Platinum - TDI-Tuning, IPD rear sway + end links, R-Design tower strut bar, ELEVATE turbo intake, ELEVATE air intake, H&R lowering springs, Magnaflow growl.

Yup to the fuel pump, it happened to me on the same year and model.

Good luck.

I'm gunna bump this thread. My wife's s60 just started sputtering today when the engine is at idle, when in park and at stop lights. Check engine light did come on, we are getting it to the dealer tomorrow, but just wondering if this is a symptom of the fuel pump. Everything I have read on that was for start up issues. Thanks.
      2010 XC90 V8 - 140k miles
      2012 S60 T5 - traded with 177k. Lost compression on cyl 5.
      2009 C30 - Totaled. It ate a minivan at 35mph.
      2006 S40 - at 217k it was tired and needed too much.
      2008 XC90 3.2 - traded with 220,780 miles

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements