After nearly 20 years, I've left the Volvo brand (a.k.a. how Volvo NA is losing customers)
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n R Salesman\r\n \r\n
    \n\r\n \nR Salesman is offline\r\n\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n Moderator\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n R Salesman\'s Avatar\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n

\r\n After nearly 20 years, I\'ve left the Volvo brand (a.k.a. how Volvo NA is losing customers)\r\n

\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n Having owned everything from a \'74 164 to a \'05 S60 R to a \'10 XC90 (and countless Volvos in between), I\'m now done with the brand, save my 164, but that\'s only because I\'ve got way more in it than I could ever get back selling it.
    \r\n
    \r\nI\'ve been in the market for a new or slightly used vehicle for the past 2-3 years. My requirements? Manual transmission, room for 3 car seats in the back seat, room for all my kid\'s stuff, and fun to drive. Remember back in the 80\'s and 90\'s when Volvo used to make safe, fun-to-drive, versatile manual transmission wagons that were faster than they looked and affordable? Well, it turns out they don\'t make them like they used to. Well, actually, they do . . . Volvo of North America just refuses to import them (V60, V40, etc.).
    \r\n
    \r\nWhen we had our third child 2 years ago, my wife was insistent on getting a vehicle with power-sliding doors & power-lift tailgate. Features that Volvo didn\'t/doesn\'t offer, which necessitated that we look elsewhere for our family\'s needs, which led us to the Volkswagen Routan. Now, I\'ll be the first to admit that the Routan is really a Chrysler Town & Country that\'s been re-worked to look and ride like a VW (and thank God for that) for the North American market. I wasn\'t happy having to get rid of our XC90 to get the Routan, but such is life.
    \r\n
    \r\nAfter waiting for the right V70R to show up for myself, and realizing that those cars were just getting older and just acquiring more and more miles as I waited for the right specimen, it dawned on me that Volvo NA isn\'t interested in keeping the business of customer\'s it\'d earned from the 80\'s and 90\'s. The manual transmissions? All but gone, unless it\'s a useless 4-seater of course. And the diesel the Americans have been begging for nearly a decade? Still not coming over here. So the product offering has diminished, the infotainment technology is still a decade behind, and the price is . . . well, it\'s ever-increasing, for a product that has less and less to offer. So I decided to start looking at other brands to see what they had to offer me, since Volvo clearly wasn\'t interested.
    \r\n
    \r\nThis led me to consider BMW (335i sedan), Audi (A3/A4Avant), VW (GTI, Sportwagen, Golf, etc.), Subaru -' + '- all of which were able to offer me what I was looking for. Meanwhile, my wife\'s VW Routan (err, Chrysler) started having recurring transmission problems that the dealer just couldn\'t seem to fix. That said, our local VW dealer offered a level of customer service that was unprecedented in my experience -' + '- and this is coming from a former Volvo car salesman with 6 years in the auto industry.
    \r\n
    \r\nOur VW dealer bent over backwards, and went far above and beyond what was expected of them to ensure our satisfaction with their brand (even though the Routan wasn\'t really their brand). EVERY time, my wife was given a loaner vehicle free of charge. Toward the end, the dealer would even deliver a loaner vehicle to us (a 30-minute drive away from the dealership) to swap out with the Routan. The last time, we asked if they had any Jetta Sportwagen TDI\'s in their loaner program that they could bring us (since it was a vehicle we were considering for myself). They didn\'t, but they pulled a brand new car off the lot & delivered it to us in place of a loaner. Their customer service single-handedly won my business.
    \r\n
    \r\nIt all came to a head about 2 weeks ago, when our Routan was back in service for the 6th time, culminating in 30 days out-of-service in the past year. I went to the dealer, informed them the car qualified for Lemon Law, and made them an offer: trade me out of the Routan, and get me into two new Jetta Sportwagen TDIs with nothing out-of-pocket on my part, and I gave them a combined monthly payment that was only slightly more than what we were currently paying on the Routan. It was a low-ball offer -' + '- after all, I could only go up. Well, they got VW of America involved and trade-assisted me out of the Routan and into two new 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI\'s for only marginally more than my low-ball offer. I was floored.
    \r\n
    \r\nSo here I am, a lifetime Volvo owner, who is now the proud new owner of two VW\'s. Instead of buying used out-of-warranty Volvos to replace the Routan, I\'ve now got two brand new cars, with full warranties, and inclusive service for the first 3 years, and the best customer service I\'ve ever experienced to boot.
    \r\n
    \r\nVolvo NA, you need to get your act together. If you can lose the business of a loyal customer like me, imagine all the business you\'re losing from folks with less brand loyalty.
    \r\n
    \r\nTo this community, I say thank you for the years of enjoyment I\'ve shared with you. I\'ll be spending the majority of my time over at vwvortex now. And if anyone wants to make me a crazy-high offer on my 164, I just might be in the mood to get rid of it.\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Lee,
    \r\n2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT, Platinum Gray/Titan Black (his)
    \r\n2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI DSG, Tempest Blue/Cornsilk Beige (hers)
    \r\n1974 164E
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n Reply With Quote Reply With Quote \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n \r\n\n\n'; pd[2010900] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #2\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n JRL\r\n \r\n
    \n\r\n \nJRL is offline\r\n\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n Senior Member\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n JRL\'s Avatar\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n I hope you copied this to VCNA and Volvo in Sweden\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Email: jrl1194 ( at ) AOL (dot) com
    \r\n2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak/Tan/Arena, 116K miles. My DD with no plans to sell it anytime soon
    \r\n2000 V70R, Wife\'s, she won\'t sell. Now she hit 153,000 miles and still near perfect!
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n Reply With Quote Reply With Quote \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n \r\n\n\n'; pd[2010911] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #3\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n geokilla\r\n \r\n
    \n\r\n \ngeokilla is offline\r\n\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n Member\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n Tl dr.... But sounds like you left Volvo because they didn\'t have a car for you? Thought this was going to be about maintenance and quality and stuff...\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n \r\n Remove Advertisements\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n SwedeSpeed.com\r\n
    Advertisements\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n

\r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n \r\n \r\n\n\n'; pd[2010920] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #4\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n John2x240\r\n \r\n
    \n\r\n \nJohn2x240 is offline\r\n\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n Interesting thread starter, but I would change this:\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n ... Volvo NA isn\'t interested in keeping the business of customer\'s it\'d earned from the 80\'s and 90\'s. ...\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \n to something like this "... from the mid \'60s to the mid \'90s. ..." My reason for this is that, in my observations over that time period, the number of hard core Volvo purchasers began to build with the Amazon, got a firm footing with the 140s, and increased that with the 2## 7## and 9## series. Also, while the 8## series cars sold well to non-Volvo aficionados, the hard core Volvo fans were not happy with an all FWD line-up, again from my observations, and went elsewhere. Now I know that, from what was told to me on this board a year or two back, raw sale numbers were good from the mid-\'90s up to a decade or so, but then the general population had increased too, but I haven\'t been able to find sales as a percentage of said population. As far as I\'m concerned, Volvo made a huge mistake in not maintaining an offering of RWD models.
    \n
    \nOK, flame suit on. \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n Last edited by John2x240; 11-17-2012 at 05:41 PM.\r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \'88 244 auto (parts car), \'89 244 5 spd. (daily driver), \'92 245 5 spd. (my car) \'80 Holiday Rambler/Ford E350 (tow vehicle and track crash pad), \'95 GMC K2500 (local hauler/back-up tow vehicle), \'83 Mazda RX7 (race car when I have the funds), \'99 Miska 20\' car hauler.
    \n
    \nThe man\'s prayer: "I\'m a man, but I can change, ... if I have to, ... I guess."
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n \r\n\n\n'; pd[2010928] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #5\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n repacs0103\r\n \r\n
    \n\r\n \nrepacs0103 is offline\r\n\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n Junior Member\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n repacs0103\'s Avatar\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n I couldn\'t agree with the op more. I\'m a former longtime VW owner, and would have a TDi sportwagen now save for the fact that I find the seats horribly uncomfortable after much more than an hour drive. Unfortunately our next car will not be a Volvo either as we have similer wants/needs in a car. Best of luck with the new fleet, and I hope Volvo is listening.\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Rob
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n \r\n\n\n'; pd[2011005] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #6\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n gdill2\r\n \r\n
    \n\r\n \ngdill2 is offline\r\n\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n Senior Member\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n Quote Originally Posted by repacs0103\r\n View Post\r\n
    \r\n
    I couldn\'t agree with the op more...and I hope Volvo is listening.
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \n
    \n
    \n拥有一切从一‘74 164到‘05 S60 R对中间‘10 XC90 (和不计其数的Volvos),我现在做以品牌,除我164之外,但那是,只有因为我比我可能得到卖它更有 方式在它。
    \n
    \n我是在市场上为一辆新或轻微地使用的车在过去的2-3年。 我的要求? 手动传动、室为3个汽车座位在后座,室为所有我的只适合于小孩的事物和乐趣驾驶。 记住在80年代和90年代,当Volvo曾经做保险柜,乐趣对驾驶,比他们快速的多才多艺的手动传动无盖货 车看了和付得起? 很好,如他们使用了,它结果他们不做他们。 很好,实际上,他们。 . . 北美洲的Volvo拒绝进口他们(V60、V40等等)。
    \n
    \n当我们有我们的第三个孩子2年前,我的妻子是迫切的在上一辆车与力量滑的门&力量举车辆后档板。 Volvo没有也不提供,需要的特点我们为我们的家庭的需要在别处看,带领我们大众Routan。 现在,我将是一个承认Routan真正地是被整顿看和乘坐似VW的克莱斯勒镇&国家(和感谢上帝那)为北美洲市场。 我不是愉快必须摆脱我们的XC90得到Routan,但是这样是生活。
    \n
    \n在等待正确的V70R为我自己出现和意识到以后那些汽车是正义越来越变老和获取英哩,因为我等待了正确的标 本,它在我破晓了Volvo NA不是对保留事务感兴趣顾客的它会从80年代和90年代赢得。 手动传动? 所有除了去,当然,除非它是无用的4-seater。 并且美国人乞求几乎十年的柴油? 仍然在这不来。 如此产品提供减少了,节目技术仍然是十年后边,并且价格是。 . . 很好,它为越来越少有提供的产品是持续增长的。 如此我决定开始看其他品牌看什么他们必须提供我,因为Volvo未清楚地感兴趣。
    \n
    \n这带领我考虑BMW (335i轿车), Audi (A3/A4Avant), VW (GTI、Sportwagen、高尔夫球等等), Subaru -' + '- 哪些能提供我什么我寻找。 同时,我的妻子的VW Routan (犯错,克莱斯勒)开始有经销商不可能似乎固定的复发的传输问题。 那说,我们的地方VW经销商提供了的顾客服务的水平是史无前例的在我的经验 -' + '- 并且这在汽车工业来自一位前Volvo汽车推销员以6年。
    \n
    \n我们的VW经销商尽全力,和去上面和在什么之外预计他们保证我们的对他们的品牌的满意(即使
    \nRoutan真正地不是他们的品牌)。 在,免费时候给了我的妻子一辆出贷者车。 往末端,经销商甚而会交付一辆出贷者车到我们(一30分钟从经销权驾驶)到交换与Routan 。 上次,我们问他们是否有任何Jetta Sportwagen TDI在他们可能带来我们的他们的出贷者节目(因为它是我们为我自己考虑)的车。 他们没有,但是他们拉扯了一辆全新的汽车全部&交付了它到我们在出贷者位置。 他们的顾客服务独自赢取了我的事务。
    \n
    \n它全部来了到头大约2个星期前,当我们的Routan回来在使用中为第6次,在去年达到高潮在30天在服务 范围外。 我去经销商,通知了他们具有资格在无用的法则和被给予他们的汽车条件: 换我在Routan外面,并且让我二新的Jetta Sportwagen TDIs以没什么口袋进入在我的部分,并且我给了他们是少许更多比的联合的月度付款什么我们在Routan 当前支付。 它是虚报低价提议 -' + '- 终究我可能只上升。 很好,他们得到了美国的VW介入并且换协助了我在Routan外面,并且入二新的2013年J etta Sportwagen TDI为少量地仅更多比我虚报低价提议。 我被难倒了。
    \n
    \n那么这里我在,终身Volvo所有者,现在是二VW骄傲的新所有者。 而不是买使用的保单Volvos替换Routan,我现在上了二辆全新的汽车,与充分的保单和包含服务前3 年和我体验解雇的最佳的顾客服务。
    \n
    \nVolvo NA,您需要一起得到您的行动。 如果您能丢失一名忠诚的顾客的事务,如我,想象所有事务您从伙计是丢失的以较少商标信誉。
    \n
    \n对这个社区,我说感谢您我与您分享了的年享受。 我花费多数我的时间在vwvortex现在。 并且,如果任何人在我164想要给予我一个疯狂高条件,我也许是在摆脱它的心情。
    \n
    \nGeorge Dill\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n \r\n\n\n'; pd[2011066] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #7\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n SmokeHead\r\n \r\n
    \n\r\n \nSmokeHead is offline\r\n\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n Junior Member\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n SmokeHead\'s Avatar\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n Quote Originally Posted by R Salesman\r\n View Post\r\n
    \r\n
    It all came to a head about 2 weeks ago, when our Routan was back in service for the 6th time, culminating in 30 days out-of-service in the past year...
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \nYou sure you don\'t want a Volvo instead? \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n \r\n\n\n'; pd[2011106] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #8\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n R Salesman\r\n \r\n
    \n\r\n \nR Salesman is offline\r\n\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n Moderator\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n R Salesman\'s Avatar\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n Quote Originally Posted by JRL\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    I hope you copied this to VCNA and Volvo in Sweden
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \nTo what end?
    \n
    \nNo one at VCNA cares. Their sales have been terrible because they\'ve de-contented their lineup. Sales aren\'t getting any better, and VCNA isn\'t interested in doing anything to change that. Even if they did care, they\'re not going to change based on one letter from a life-long customer. And they can\'t do anything to earn my business back because even though Volvo makes several models I\'d consider purchasing, VCNA won\'t import any of them. Bottom line is that if you have a family, and you want a practical, fun-to-drive sport vehicle, VCNA isn\'t interested in your business.
    \n
    \n\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n Quote Originally Posted by geokilla\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    But sounds like you left Volvo because they didn\'t have a car for you?
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \nBingo. That\'s exactly my point. Volvo built it\'s business by selling practical, safe, fun-to-drive, economical cars. To some extent Volvo still makes those, but VCNA won\'t import them.
    \n
    \n\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n Quote Originally Posted by John2x240\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    Also, while the 8## series cars sold well to non-Volvo aficionados, the hard core Volvo fans were not happy with an all FWD line-up, again from my observations, and went elsewhere . . . . As far as I\'m concerned, Volvo made a huge mistake in not maintaining an offering of RWD models.
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \nI couldn\'t agree with you more. You can\'t expect a FWD vehicle to have the same driving dynamics as a RWD vehicle. And you can\'t expect to compete with RWD-based competitors, such as BMW and Mercedes, when you\'re running an all FWD-based lineup.
    \n
    \nAnd therein lies a strategic problem. Volvo built its business by being a viable alternative, not competitor, to the more expensive, more luxurious, sportier BMW and Mercedes brands. Instead of remaining true to that business strategy, VCNA has tried to take Volvo upstream to directly compete with BMW and Mercedes. But instead of producing a product capable of actual competition (i.e. bringing to production a RWD-based platform along with the requisite technology to compete), they expect their FWD platforms to compete, while simultaneously reducing their overall product offering, remaining decades behind in technology, virtually eliminating sport-oriented options, and raising the price to make Volvo appear more "premium."
    \n
    \nThis whole focus on making Volvo a "premium" brand has turned out to be a terrible business strategy. If Volvo were to focus on the core values that made them successful in the first place (safety, practicality, economical, sporty), they wouldn\'t be in the dire straits they currently find themselves in.
    \n
    \n\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n Quote Originally Posted by Smokehead\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    You sure you don\'t want a Volvo instead?
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \nThe Routan has a straight-up Chrysler drivetrain. If it were a VW-produced drivetrain, I would have had reservations. But considering VCNA doesn\'t offer a vehicle that meets my needs, and VW does, the decision to jump ship was a no-brainer.\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Lee,
    \r\n2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT, Platinum Gray/Titan Black (his)
    \r\n2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI DSG, Tempest Blue/Cornsilk Beige (hers)
    \r\n1974 164E
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n \r\n\n\n'; pd[2011231] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #9\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n geokilla\r\n \r\n
    \n\r\n \ngeokilla is offline\r\n\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n Quote Originally Posted by R Salesman\r\n View Post\r\n
    \r\n
    I couldn\'t agree with you more. You can\'t expect a FWD vehicle to have the same driving dynamics as a RWD vehicle. And you can\'t expect to compete with RWD-based competitors, such as BMW and Mercedes, when you\'re running an all FWD-based lineup.
    \n
    \nAnd therein lies a strategic problem. Volvo built its business by being a viable alternative, not competitor, to the more expensive, more luxurious, sportier BMW and Mercedes brands. Instead of remaining true to that business strategy, VCNA has tried to take Volvo upstream to directly compete with BMW and Mercedes. But instead of producing a product capable of actual competition (i.e. bringing to production a RWD-based platform along with the requisite technology to compete), they expect their FWD platforms to compete, while simultaneously reducing their overall product offering, remaining decades behind in technology, virtually eliminating sport-oriented options, and raising the price to make Volvo appear more "premium."
    \n
    \nThis whole focus on making Volvo a "premium" brand has turned out to be a terrible business strategy. If Volvo were to focus on the core values that made them successful in the first place (safety, practicality, economical, sporty), they wouldn\'t be in the dire straits they currently find themselves in.
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \nIn Volvo\'s defense, the cars produced by Volvos were never sporty. At least not your standard models like our S70 and S60. They always placed comfort first and handling or driving excitement second. That and the general public\'s image on Volvo is never that good and reached out far. How many people out there would cross shop the new S60 T5 against the vehicles that Volvo lost to in the Car and Driver comparison months ago? I wanted a 2012 Audi A4 or Hyundai Sonata (yes not same category, deal with it) but in the end, I chose the Volvo not because I\'m a Volvo fan (I am), but because my mom likes Volvo and the fact that their vehicles are safe and "bullet proof". Ya well the new S60 isn\'t "bullet proof" at all. At least I don\'t consider it when the sunroof leaks water at the car wash. The engineers designed the fuse and placed it at a stupid location, driving excitement is actually lower than the S70 and that S70 is underpowered, etc etc.. All in all, S60 is superior in terms of comfort and stuff, but the S70 feels like it was built better.
    \n
    \nI went off topic...\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n \r\n\n\n'; pd[2011823] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #10\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n John2x240\r\n \r\n
    \n\r\n \nJohn2x240 is offline\r\n\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n When I bought my first Volvo, a \'74 142GLE, it was because it was well made, had the best brakes I\'d ever experienced in a road car, was a great and comfortable highway cruiser, handled well, and was priced between Datsun 510s and BMWs and Mercs. It was better than the Datsun and almost as good as the BMWs and Mercs, and after the \'74 142 was totaled in an accident, where by the way non-one was even scratched, I kept on buying 140s (used because I was no longer single, and we all know what that means , and ended in \'92 with an \'82 245. When that died due to rust, I went looking for another good used 140/240, and they were either not for sale, beat up, or priced way out of my price range for a used car. In my search for another Volvo, I discovered that the owners of good used 140s/240s and even 740s were holding onto them because they didn\'t want a FWD car. In addition, while the 940s were introduced in the early \'90s, they were rare and not many used were for sale for the same reasons mentioned above. Around 2007 I discovered that more good used 240s were finally on the market, and at affordable prices, so I eventually found a good 244 in 2008, an \'89, and I now have three, an \'88 244 and a \'92 245. BTW, I should mention that my experience from \'76 on was in the Ottawa (ON) area which is a small market.
    \n
    \nSo, then, in my opinion Volvo has lost it\'s way, and while current Volvos are nice looking cars, after some less than satisfactory experience with working on a few FWD cars, I will now only buy RWD vehicles. And it\'s not because of the handling as I know how to handle the differences, and I\'ve raced a couple of FWDs with no problems.\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \'88 244 auto (parts car), \'89 244 5 spd. (daily driver), \'92 245 5 spd. (my car) \'80 Holiday Rambler/Ford E350 (tow vehicle and track crash pad), \'95 GMC K2500 (local hauler/back-up tow vehicle), \'83 Mazda RX7 (race car when I have the funds), \'99 Miska 20\' car hauler.
    \n
    \nThe man\'s prayer: "I\'m a man, but I can change, ... if I have to, ... I guess."
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n \r\n\n\n'; pd[2012385] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #11\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n gdill2\r\n \r\n
    \n\r\n \ngdill2 is offline\r\n\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n Senior Member\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n Re "After nearly 20 years, I\'ve left the Volvo brand (a.k.a. how Volvo NA is losing customers)"...
    \n
    \nMy comments would not be applicable on this subject due to my having never owned a new Volvo and currently do not own a Volvo but building post count is what I do.
    \n
    \nVolvo\'s move to FWD was deemed sound decision-making at the time. Given Volvo\'s tiny share of global sales a stand-alone RWD model did not fit the business scheme.
    \n
    \nWhen Volvo Cars broke from Volvo AB then went to Henry (remember the Volvo-Jaguar-Aston-Lincoln fiasco?) and now Geely the brand suffered from uncertainty the entire period. To feel secure Volvo minimized risks and expensive R&D. Yes, safety and durability remained primary goals but the USA market was measured as being satisfied with low-bling models of slightly above-average reliability and performance.
    \n
    \nToday, the new Volvo S60 FWD is a satisfying ride even in low-budget mode.
    \n
    \nFolks who have been doing Volvos for about 20 or more years may view a $40,000 car made under the auspices of the Chinese just not their cuppa tea.
    \n
    \nGeorge Dill\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n \r\n\n\n'; pd[2013108] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #12\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n tclardy\r\n \r\n
    \n\r\n \ntclardy is offline\r\n\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n Junior Member\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n I have left the Volvo brand too. I had purchased an S60 about seven months ago. I loved the car, having been around Volvo\'s for years and working in the car business back in the 80\'s I didn\'t have any problem with Volvo. I loved the car. And then a friend of mine who works in the car business sent me a link to the Wall Street Journal article. The article basically stated Volvo was ripe to pull out of the US market and that they may as well give it up. I read a couple of other articles saying how bad Volvo\'s us sales were. Add on top of that the refusal to bring new models to the US and the turnover of CEO\'s and no mention of the US market and I was spooked.
    \n
    \nI have a neighbor who has a Suzuki sedan of some sort, it is like one year old. He just got burned on Suzuki pulling out an filing bankruptcy. He has a one year old car he owes money on, cannot trade it in, warranty gonna be voided, no dealers. You get the picture, he is screwed. He told me he tried to trade it in and most dealers would not bid on it, they said the banks are refusing to lend money on them as of this time.
    \n
    \nSo I traded in my Volvo for a Kia Optima Turbo SX. I love the car. It is about even to me between the S60 and the Optima. Kia and Hyundai are coming on very strong, imho they are surpassing the japanese brads in general, especially Toyota and Honda. I needed peace of mind, and the situation with VCNA scared me. I am not getting stuck that way.
    \n
    \nIf you look at their last few months sales numbers and combine that with them not bringing in several new models the picture just looks grim to me. They seem headed below 50,000 units a year sold here very fast. I am not trying to be negative, but anybody purchasing something as expensive as these new cars are best take this into consideration, especially with the economy and the way it seems headed. Sorry to lose my Volvo but happy to not be worrying about it.\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n \r\n\n\n'; // next/previous post info pn[2010865] = "2013108,2010900"; pn[0] = ",2010865"; pn[2010900] = "2010865,2010911"; pn[2010911] = "2010900,2010920"; pn[2010920] = "2010911,2010928"; pn[2010928] = "2010920,2011005"; pn[2011005] = "2010928,2011066"; pn[2011066] = "2011005,2011106"; pn[2011106] = "2011066,2011231"; pn[2011231] = "2011106,2011823"; pn[2011823] = "2011231,2012385"; pn[2012385] = "2011823,2013108"; pn[2013108] = "2012385,2010865"; // cached usernames pu[0] = guestphrase; pu[9508] = "R Salesman"; pu[2885] = "JRL"; pu[33101] = "geokilla"; pu[26171] = "John2x240"; pu[40281] = "repacs0103"; pu[7289] = "gdill2"; pu[51340] = "SmokeHead"; pu[49297] = "tclardy"; // -->

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

After nearly 20 years, I've left the Volvo brand (a.k.a. how Volvo NA is losing customers)

Having owned everything from a '74 164 to a '05 S60 R to a '10 XC90 (and countless Volvos in between), I'm now done with the brand, save my 164, but that's only because I've got way more in it than I could ever get back selling it.

I've been in the market for a new or slightly used vehicle for the past 2-3 years. My requirements? Manual transmission, room for 3 car seats in the back seat, room for all my kid's stuff, and fun to drive. Remember back in the 80's and 90's when Volvo used to make safe, fun-to-drive, versatile manual transmission wagons that were faster than they looked and affordable? Well, it turns out they don't make them like they used to. Well, actually, they do . . . Volvo of North America just refuses to import them (V60, V40, etc.).

When we had our third child 2 years ago, my wife was insistent on getting a vehicle with power-sliding doors & power-lift tailgate. Features that Volvo didn't/doesn't offer, which necessitated that we look elsewhere for our family's needs, which led us to the Volkswagen Routan. Now, I'll be the first to admit that the Routan is really a Chrysler Town & Country that's been re-worked to look and ride like a VW (and thank God for that) for the North American market. I wasn't happy having to get rid of our XC90 to get the Routan, but such is life.

After waiting for the right V70R to show up for myself, and realizing that those cars were just getting older and just acquiring more and more miles as I waited for the right specimen, it dawned on me that Volvo NA isn't interested in keeping the business of customer's it'd earned from the 80's and 90's. The manual transmissions? All but gone, unless it's a useless 4-seater of course. And the diesel the Americans have been begging for nearly a decade? Still not coming over here. So the product offering has diminished, the infotainment technology is still a decade behind, and the price is . . . well, it's ever-increasing, for a product that has less and less to offer. So I decided to start looking at other brands to see what they had to offer me, since Volvo clearly wasn't interested.

This led me to consider BMW (335i sedan), Audi (A3/A4Avant), VW (GTI, Sportwagen, Golf, etc.), Subaru -- all of which were able to offer me what I was looking for. Meanwhile, my wife's VW Routan (err, Chrysler) started having recurring transmission problems that the dealer just couldn't seem to fix. That said, our local VW dealer offered a level of customer service that was unprecedented in my experience -- and this is coming from a former Volvo car salesman with 6 years in the auto industry.

Our VW dealer bent over backwards, and went far above and beyond what was expected of them to ensure our satisfaction with their brand (even though the Routan wasn't really their brand). EVERY time, my wife was given a loaner vehicle free of charge. Toward the end, the dealer would even deliver a loaner vehicle to us (a 30-minute drive away from the dealership) to swap out with the Routan. The last time, we asked if they had any Jetta Sportwagen TDI's in their loaner program that they could bring us (since it was a vehicle we were considering for myself). They didn't, but they pulled a brand new car off the lot & delivered it to us in place of a loaner. Their customer service single-handedly won my business.

It all came to a head about 2 weeks ago, when our Routan was back in service for the 6th time, culminating in 30 days out-of-service in the past year. I went to the dealer, informed them the car qualified for Lemon Law, and made them an offer: trade me out of the Routan, and get me into two new Jetta Sportwagen TDIs with nothing out-of-pocket on my part, and I gave them a combined monthly payment that was only slightly more than what we were currently paying on the Routan. It was a low-ball offer -- after all, I could only go up. Well, they got VW of America involved and trade-assisted me out of the Routan and into two new 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI's for only marginally more than my low-ball offer. I was floored.

So here I am, a lifetime Volvo owner, who is now the proud new owner of two VW's. Instead of buying used out-of-warranty Volvos to replace the Routan, I've now got two brand new cars, with full warranties, and inclusive service for the first 3 years, and the best customer service I've ever experienced to boot.

Volvo NA, you need to get your act together. If you can lose the business of a loyal customer like me, imagine all the business you're losing from folks with less brand loyalty.

To this community, I say thank you for the years of enjoyment I've shared with you. I'll be spending the majority of my time over at vwvortex now. And if anyone wants to make me a crazy-high offer on my 164, I just might be in the mood to get rid of it.
      Lee,
      2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT, Platinum Gray/Titan Black (his)
      2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI DSG, Tempest Blue/Cornsilk Beige (hers)
      1974 164E