Volvo vs Thule load bars
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Volvo vs Thule load bars

Hello,

I am looking to add load bars to my 2012 XC60 with flush side rails (and a roof box afterwards). I was wondering if anyone here has Volvo OEM aluminum profile load bars and can tell if these are "wing profile" (not clear from the picture).

http://accessories.volvocars.com/Acc...ent/VCC-450371

Also, I was wondering if these are the same as Thule Rapid Aero and if not how do they compare (there is a considerable price difference, so I was wondering if Thules are worth it)

Thank you!
      Last edited by hmzppz; 11-23-2012 at 09:36 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The Volvo bars are not the exact same as the Thule aero. There is another thread on here that gives better detail about the difference. I just drove 684 miles with the Thule square bars and Evolution 1600 box. It was loud. The loud part is the bars under the box. I guess my only suggestion is to get some kind of aero bar regardless of which one. The price difference is very little between the two.

http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/...b_iv/image.jpg
      2015 XC70 T6, Premium Plus, Climate Package, BLIS
      2013 XC60 T6 AWD Premium Plus, Climate Package, BLIS
      2013 S60 T5 Platinum, Climate Package, BLIS
      2012 S60 T5 Premium Plus, Climate Package
      2003 XC70 T5

The Volvo ones have been on my car since a month after I bought it a year ago. They as with any bar are loud. With the sunroof open is my only complaint but its a trade off. It uses the t track system and I have both the bike carriers x2 an kayak carriers x2 the L arm ones. I really like the bike and and detest the kayak carriers. One broke the first day I used them an would never recommend them. To anyone. I keep cargo straps in the spare storage are with the spare tire and have carried all kinds of thing on them. I highly recommend the Volvo carriers. Perfect fit for the car. I painted mine flat black as soon as I got them.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Yes those in the link are what volvo call the wing style. Though not the same thing as the thule aero (I did close comparisons as well and the economics said to buy the volvo bars but then all the volvo or thule accessories). They all work perfectly if they also use the t-trac system).
      2011 XC60 T-6 AWD R-Design + Polestar, Passion Red (climate, navigation, and technology packages). Added: Custom Subwoofer, Trailer Hitch, Vision X LED light bar and fogs, and Laser Interceptor V. 8 (Quad).

Thanks for all replies. Indeed, the economics tells to buy Volvo OEM. I just wonder if anyone did try both Volvo wing profiles and Thule Aeros and can tell if the later is so much better (I could find some threads discussing one or the other, but not comparing to each other). Also, do I assume correctly that I can fit Thule roof box like Atlantis 1600 on Volvo load bars.

Yes, that box wil fit fine. I have a Thule Boxter 611 - looks great on it. Recently drove with it from Seattle to DC. Very little noise and tons of room in it. Very pleased.
      2011 XC60 T-6 AWD R-Design + Polestar, Passion Red (climate, navigation, and technology packages). Added: Custom Subwoofer, Trailer Hitch, Vision X LED light bar and fogs, and Laser Interceptor V. 8 (Quad).

FYI, Volvo's accessories are made by Thule.
      Tube Screamer
      Kent WA
      2010 C30 R-Design, 6 spd, ELEVATE Tune,Gecko Green
      2006 V50 T5 Electric Silver, RIP!, 2010 VW Golf TDI DSG

Quote Originally Posted by twbannon View Post
      Yes, that box wil fit fine. I have a Thule Boxter 611 - looks great on it. Recently drove with it from Seattle to DC. Very little noise and tons of room in it. Very pleased.
      Interesting, so Thule Boxter does fit XC60? According to Thule Box Comparison chart http://basilicon.ipapercms.dk/Thule/...mparisonChart/ it doesn't clear the hatch. I haven't seen one in person, so I thought it would be too long. Didn't you have trouble because of its length?

No problem. I mounted the box with the tail gate open and went as far back as I could without touching (left about 1/2 inch). With where it is, I do not think it is too far forward. If you want to PM me you email address I will be glad to send you some pics so you can see where it sits. It is very aerodynamic, which cuts down on much of the noise and looks great compared to many boxes. Thanks.

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered the new Thule Aeroblade crossbars. Wow what a difference from the square bars for noise.
      2015 XC70 T6, Premium Plus, Climate Package, BLIS
      2013 XC60 T6 AWD Premium Plus, Climate Package, BLIS
      2013 S60 T5 Platinum, Climate Package, BLIS
      2012 S60 T5 Premium Plus, Climate Package
      2003 XC70 T5

Volvo vs Thule load bars

Quote Originally Posted by CLB_IV View Post
      Well, I bit the bullet and ordered the new Thule Aeroblade crossbars. Wow what a difference from the square bars for noise.
      I am really glad to hear that: I ordered Thule aeroblades yesterday but still had doubts if the price difference is justified. Apparently it is

One interesting thing I noticed is that the updated catalogue for XC70 contains the newest aeroblade crossbars. I expect that XC60 will follow the suit sometime later.

[QUOTE=Red30R;2013836]The Volvo ones have been on my car since a month after I bought it a year ago. They as with any bar are loud. With the sunroof open is my only complaint but its a trade off. It uses the t track system and I have both the bike carriers x2 an kayak carriers x2 the L arm ones. I really like the bike and and detest the kayak carriers. One broke the first day I used them an would never recommend them. To anyone. I keep cargo straps in the spare storage are with the spare tire and have carried all kinds of thing on them. I highly recommend the Volvo carriers. Perfect fit for the car. I painted mine flat black as soon as I got them.

LOVE what youve done with the car... what did you do to get the drop? coil overs or lowering springs?

[QUOTE=Red30R;2013836]The Volvo ones have been on my car since a month after I bought it a year ago. They as with any bar are loud. With the sunroof open is my only complaint but its a trade off. It uses the t track system and I have both the bike carriers x2 an kayak carriers x2 the L arm ones. I really like the bike and and detest the kayak carriers. One broke the first day I used them an would never recommend them. To anyone. I keep cargo straps in the spare storage are with the spare tire and have carried all kinds of thing on them. I highly recommend the Volvo carriers. Perfect fit for the car. I painted mine flat black as soon as I got them.[IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/24/ryvyzabe.jpg

Red30R, your c30 is probably my favorite looking c30 I've ever seen. Love what you did with this car! Keep up the good work! Lots of kudos for that build!

I have a Force XL on my XC and it fits perfect with it placed just a hair back from the hatch when open. It has changed our road trips as now everything goes up top and trips are now like driving to the mall. I wanted the largest box that would fit.

Only complaint is that during days with high cross winds you can get a little noise from the middle seam in the 2 glass panels in the roof. Very rare days, but annoying when it is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by hmzppz View Post
      Interesting, so Thule Boxter does fit XC60? According to Thule Box Comparison chart http://basilicon.ipapercms.dk/Thule/...mparisonChart/ it doesn't clear the hatch. I haven't seen one in person, so I thought it would be too long. Didn't you have trouble because of its length?
      "An Automobile Enthusiast with a Dealer License"
      Current Daily Driver Stable:

2015 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD
      2012 Volvo S60 T6 AWD

CAUTION - Remember to check for low clearance when you have your bars and roofbox mounted.

I clipped the top of my roofbox this summer , completely forgetting it was up there when self parking in a garage the first day I had the box on.

2015.5 XC60 RD - Thule Aeroblades / Thule Force XL:

[IMG]Volvo-Roofbox by Christopher Cau, on Flickr[/IMG]
      Last edited by Cmurda212; 11-04-2015 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Red30R View Post
      The Volvo ones have been on my car since a month after I bought it a year ago. They as with any bar are loud. With the sunroof open is my only complaint but its a trade off. It uses the t track system and I have both the bike carriers x2 an kayak carriers x2 the L arm ones. I really like the bike and and detest the kayak carriers. One broke the first day I used them an would never recommend them. To anyone. I keep cargo straps in the spare storage are with the spare tire and have carried all kinds of thing on them. I highly recommend the Volvo carriers. Perfect fit for the car. I painted mine flat black as soon as I got them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which kayak carriers are using? I have to outfit my 2010 xc60. The bars also?? Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements