CEL came on - Engine System Service Required
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

CEL came on - Engine System Service Required

I'm on a family vacation right now and just drove 800 miles from the Bay Area to Seattle.

On our way through the Grants Pass mountain area in freezing temps, I stopped and filled up with Chevron Supreme. About 15 miles later, I get the CEL as I was using the manual shifter. The only thing that was immediately clear was my computer MPG readings dropped, even going downhill, but the engine power seemed to remain the same.

We weren't in a position to pull over, so I continued driving. After about 30 or so miles, my computer MPG readings seemed to normalize. We stopped in Portland for the night and this morning I took it to Autozone. They pulled a P0101 code, from what I gather this seems to be a MAF issue.

With it being Sunday and the car not in limp mode, I picked up the family at the hotel and decided to make our way to Seattle. But this time the code has cleared after I used about 13 gallons of the fuel from Grants Pass.

Is the CEL going to return? Could the fuel be the culprit? Is this a common issues with the XC90? I've researched this on this and other forums and I've found several instances of people bringing the XC90's in snow regions and getting CEL's, thought that was strange.

On the same note, I drove the tank from the Grants Pass Chevron near empty and filled again. I was averaging about 20mpg, so it doesn't seem the CEL really affected the MPG the computer was reporting. The overall MPG the computer reported was 18.1.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

(How do you delete a redundant message?)
      Last edited by 12Ounce; 12-24-2012 at 07:00 AM.

What year and engine, how many miles on clock?

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Yellow or red triangle? Usually unless the display indicator tells you (STOP ENGINE NOW or STOP ENGINE SOON) it's safe to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by pengc99 View Post
      Yellow or red triangle? Usually unless the display indicator tells you (STOP ENGINE NOW or STOP ENGINE SOON) it's safe to drive.
      Oops, that's important details missing.

06 2.5T AWD with 77K. Yellow triangle.

One thing I did notice was a little oil around the top of the boost tubing coupler. But it was on there firmly.

Normally a P0101 indicates that the oxygen sensors are "seeing" more/less air than was measured by the MAF. This includes temperature measurements on the incoming air for sensor calibration. So it could be that the freezing temps, along with the high altitude, caused some measurement errors ... and all will be well once you are closer to sea level ... nothing to worry about.

On the other hand, while you were twisting the engine in the saddle in all that snow and stuff, could be some small tube split or loose clamp leaked in some unmeasured air. If this is the problem, it will eventually come back to revisit you. If you twist your own wrenches, it might be a good time to go through a PCV system cleaning and inspection ... along with a throttle body cleaning. I did this at 155k miles ... and it was way overdue! Found several air leaks and plenty of crud!

There's variables the PCM is allowed to see for any given situation. For instance, at any particular throttle angle the PCM is expecting a certain range of variables from the MAF and subsequently a certain range of variables from the oxygen sensors. A code for one typically doesn't indicate that that particular sensor is bad. For instance, you can have a MAF sensor error if you're pulling in un-metered air from a hose that came off the intake (which really seems to be common with these vehicles) or if an oxygen sensor is bad.

If I were to put money on it I'd say you have a hose that popped off somewhere or a cracked hose that's resulting in a small vacuum leak. Likewise in a situation like this you can have elevation issues that skew the expected differences between the MAP and MAF sensors.

Either way, no need to panic. A check engine light isn't some exclamation telling you to get off the road immediately. It's just a notification that the PCM picked up an error.

Dont worry, is almost sure that will not appear again.
      S80 V8 AWD - XC90 2.5T - S60 T5 M 01(SOLD) - R-K24 Turbo, R-Manifold, R-charge pipe, ARD Blue custom flash, BSR catback, downpipe and intake, ARD TCV, IPD Coils and Pod, Snabb intake pipe, Xemodex ETM, FMIC, SPEC Stage 3+,Autometer SportCompII Gauge, Ipd upper mounts, Evolve hoses, Brembo 4 pistons big brake kits front and rear, OEM body kit, Bilstein HD with Eibach pro kit, R 18" wheels, 6000k hid kits up and fogs, 2006 bixenon

Hey guys, thanks for all the responses.

So far, after a 1000 miles; 2 trips to the mountains in freezing temps and a 800 miles trip home, the CEL has not re-appeared. May have just had a bad reading or something, but will keep an eye on it. The car is driving normal and we got 22mpg on the trip with 6 people in the car (4 adults, a toddler and a teen).
      Last edited by RS250 Chester; 01-01-2013 at 07:47 PM.

Great to hear!!
      S80 V8 AWD - XC90 2.5T - S60 T5 M 01(SOLD) - R-K24 Turbo, R-Manifold, R-charge pipe, ARD Blue custom flash, BSR catback, downpipe and intake, ARD TCV, IPD Coils and Pod, Snabb intake pipe, Xemodex ETM, FMIC, SPEC Stage 3+,Autometer SportCompII Gauge, Ipd upper mounts, Evolve hoses, Brembo 4 pistons big brake kits front and rear, OEM body kit, Bilstein HD with Eibach pro kit, R 18" wheels, 6000k hid kits up and fogs, 2006 bixenon

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements