Definitive S60R Axle Guide! ?? - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      None of the aftermarket axles from AutoZone, O'Reilley's or the Empire axles fit the TF 80-SC 06 auto. (driver side anyway)
      The transmission end of the shaft is a larger diameter than the listed parts.
      If you think you are getting a shaft that fits, take your caliper with you and measure.
      The Driver Side OEM part number is P30759007

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I've been trying to locate a passenger front axle for my 2004 v70r manual transmission. I accidentally made a single crack in the cv "cage" a year ago. It just shattered two weeks ago.
      From O'Reilly's, the staff ordered p/n 60- 9254 and VO-8031. Both were 11/16" short on the narrow shaft that fits into the AG. Other differences, on the trans end of axle, the sealing surface for the AG is next to the spines, not ~3.5" from end of splines. (photos)

I called CJ axles and quoted $175 for rebuild and inner cv replacement. Shipping from 53208 to 80216 fedex is $25. I'm waiting on some calls for salvage axles, but I think I'll send it to CJ's. I can't believe I cannot locate a place that rebuilds this axle.

I wouldn't mind rebuilding it myself, but I'm also having difficulty finding a rebuilt original drivers side from any suppliers. I only checked erieVolvo's online inventor, but I'll give them a ring.

Aside from being shorter, what about the sealing surfaces? The inner most surface is for the trans to axle seal, and outer is for the AG, won't this cause leaking from AG into the collar area?
      Last edited by CREE; 03-01-2016 at 01:05 PM.
      2004 V70R MT_Black Sapp Nord_148K miles
      2008 C70 MT
      1990 740T wagon work horse

I bought a replacement for our 2004 V70R from O'Reily's over a year ago. So far, so good - no issues.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by V704me View Post
      I bought a replacement for our 2004 V70R from O'Reily's over a year ago. So far, so good - no issues.
      That's why I had such high hopes, but the one they gave me, p/n 60-9254 is quite a bit shorter, by 11/16".

I know it was a year ago, but do you recall if you got a reman with the rzeppa joint or the tripod type?

Measurement taken from shoulder (tube>solid shaft point)

Original

P/N 60-9254
      Last edited by CREE; 03-01-2016 at 11:35 AM.
      2004 V70R MT_Black Sapp Nord_148K miles
      2008 C70 MT
      1990 740T wagon work horse

Had a catastrophic ball joint failure, tire splayed out while driving and ripped axle loose. Need to replace the axle. Shocked at Volvo price. Going to try the AutoZone part 10933N for drivers' side. With caution: The AZ online catalogue says this is only for automatic transmission? Volvo part $630. AZ part $72. Let's see what my shop guys say vs what I'm reading in posts. Should be a fine replacement by all axle thread stories in SwedeSpeed!

Autozone part number 10933N worked fine as a driver side axle on my 2005 Volvo S60R, manual transmission.

Autozone part number 10933N is NOT compatible will 2004 model R M66.

Figured it would be the same as an 05, buuut it is definitely too long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone sell a aftermarket front right axle for the 2006 V70R GT trans? I am having no luck finding one. I am guessing that OE is the only alternative.
      Last edited by maronha; 06-24-2018 at 01:41 PM.
      2006 Sonic V70R GT 150k
      2013 XC90 R Design Electric Silver 50K (The Wife's)
      2015 Silverado High Country 1500 4WD Ruby Metallic 70k

Quote Originally Posted by maronha View Post
      Does anyone sell a aftermarket front right axle for the 2006 V70R GT trans? I am having no luck finding one. I am guessing that OE is the only alternative.
      I wish I could help you; I have a front right axle for a '05 S60R, 80k miles on it, but it's for an MT.
      2005 S60R, 185k miles. Stock engine. Alpine Halo9 iLX-F309 head unit. IPD Track-spec sways, H&R 10mm/15mm wheel spacers with 245/40/R18 tires, TME springs, Bilstein B8 front struts, Bilstein B6 adjustable-height rear struts

Are there any good reman axles or kits for an '05 m66? I would love to do mine for preventative maintenance, but don't want to drop over $1000 again.
      2005 V70R M66, Titanium-Gobi

1986 944 Turbo, Black-Tan

Past; 940t wagon, 940, 960 wagon, 240 wagon and several others in the family.

Quote Originally Posted by black944 turbo View Post
      Are there any good reman axles or kits for an '05 m66? I would love to do mine for preventative maintenance, but don't want to drop over $1000 again.
      I rebuilt the outer joint on my '04 m66's passenger side axle a few months back. I don't remember the exact price, but I think the kit from the dealer was around $40. Came with a new boot, clamps, grease, and snap ring.

The only reason I had to rebuild it was that I accidentally separated the joint while trying to get the axle out of the hub. The grease and the internals all still looked great with 70k+ miles on them. Even the boot was still in good shape. I'd say that as long as your boots are intact and the joints stays sealed, I wouldn't worry too much about them.

The carrier bearing, on the other hand was less smooth than I would have liked. I'd be more concerned with that. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a replacement.

Has anyone found a good source for axle carrier bearings that are an exact fit?

I just went through this with the passenger side front axle in my '04 V70R automatic.

My original axle was fine, just tore a boot about two years ago. Shop replaced the axle with a remanufactured axle, don't know the source. That axle this year tore the outer boot and the inner boot was going to go soon- cracks in the rubber. So I look into replacement boots, can't find the right one for the weird hexagonal shape of the inner joint. I then go to NAPA, big mistake.

NAPA tells me that this part will fit: NMD 951197
      It does not- the outer sleeve is too long and the axle does not fit.
      This one does fit: NMD 951198
      The caveat is that it's junk. Remanufactured axle by Cardone. I installed this one and it is bad from day one. Clicks on left hand turns, makes bearing noises under acceleration, it's junk. I would not buy any Cardone axles- they're not doing the remans correctly, they don't care, nor do their suppliers. When I talked to NAPA about fitment and quality issues both with initially getting me the wrong axle and then having a junk axle the second time around, they told me to F off. They will not honor their warranty any further than a replacement this one time- they don't want me to come back. That was in a conversation with NAPA's president. Unbelieveable.

I just ordered a brand new Volvo axle from FCP Euro: 8252047
      Be careful because 8252046 is "supposed" to fit my car, but it definitely does not fit. I actually talked to FCP about this and they told me that they are going to correct their database.
      I know that at least with the Volvo axle, it will be brand new and Volvo quality. They did not have an equivalent GKN axle.

Please note that there actually is a GKN part number 8252047 that appears to be the Volvo axle, just in a GKN box- shows up on a Google search right away. About $300 instead of the $700 for Volvo. At least buying from FCP, the part is guaranteed for life.

Update:
      So the 8252047 part just catastrophically failed on my car- I think the axle length issue reared its ugly head. Now FCP is showing that this part does not work with my car, go figure. It's possible that the axle is too short, so it slips out of the axle bearing support and vibrates itself to death. That's my theory- the axle made a loud vibration kind of noise, then it made a big "bang" and a "whump, whump" that sounded like metal hitting the pavement.

I have a call into Volvo USA to see if they can help me figure out exactly what's going on with these damn axles.
      Last edited by cleanerPA; 12-11-2018 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by maronha View Post
      According to RM European, the same 8252047 part fits your car- do you know whether or not the 6 speed GT trans and the 5 speed GT trans use the same axles?

Quote Originally Posted by cleanerPA View Post
      According to RM European, the same 8252047 part fits your car- do you know whether or not the 6 speed GT trans and the 5 speed GT trans use the same axles?
      Lots of axles are listed as fitting our cars but i came to find out that was not the case. I tried two different aftermarket right front axles and neither would work. I even contacted a aftermarket company and they had nothing. I ended up just getting one from ERIE VOLVO which came with a lifetime warranty for about $110 i think. I believe the 5 & 6 SPEED use different axles. Don't hold me to that.
      2006 Sonic V70R GT 150k

Hey guys. I have a 06 m66 R and I broke my CV joint on the driver's side. I tried what you guys recommended and tried to buy the AutoZone one (10933n) and when I go to checkout it says it isn't available anymore. Is there any other options around that price range?

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
      Hey guys. I have a 06 m66 R and I broke my CV joint on the driver's side. I tried what you guys recommended and tried to buy the AutoZone one (10933n) and when I go to checkout it says it isn't available anymore. Is there any other options around that price range?
      No, just don’t do it. Get the axle from raxles, or the place in Colorado that does Benz axles, or buy OEM GKN/Volvo. All of those chain store axles are from place like Dorman and they suck. My Dorman axle from NAPA lasts three weeks. Junk.

Brand new Volvo axle fixed the problem, no more noise, no ABS fault, etc. Smooth and quiet.

Well according to other people here that have used the AutoZone one. It works fine for them and I'm not trying to buy an OEM or GKN one unless I absolutely have to. I would probably get it fixed from the place on Colorado before I would spend over 500$ on it.

If you haven't already stop wasting your time and see if Erie has one. The give lifetime warranty so you can't bet it and it will be a volvo alxe.

http://www.erievovo.com/
      2006 Sonic V70R GT 150k

Well according to other people here that have used the AutoZone one. It works fine for them and I'm not trying to buy an OEM or GKN one unless I absolutely have to. I would probably get it fixed from the place on Colorado before I would spend over 500$ on it.
      The two places I mentioned are about $200 for a rebuild, the GKN is about $300. I mentioned this because it will save you a lot of time by not buying a junk axle and doing the installation twice. I just went through this. I checked my records today, the NAPA axle (Dorman, same as Autozone, Advance Auto, Pep Boys, O'Reillys, etc.) lasted just under 500 miles.

I just edited my post above- the part that I got didn't work in my car, just blew up yesterday. I have a call into Volvo USA to figure out just what is going on with these axles and why I can't get the right part for my car.

What part blew up?
      NorthWestR - Instagram
      2005 S60R | M66 | TICAMA | Stage 4 build under way..
      2006 V70R | TF-80 | TIKAP | Hilton Stage 2 | do88 FMIC | Ferrita DP | Heico Quad Tip Catback | TME VR Springs | UR Braces | IPD Track Sways | IPD Adjustable Toe Bars | IPD Camber Bushings [B]

Quote Originally Posted by NorthWestR View Post
      What part blew up?
      The axle, part number 8252047.

Now FCP Euro is telling me that I should be using the axle for a '04-07 M66 equipped car (manual), part number 8252051?!? They're saying that this is the correct part number according to the VIN lookup. Could this even be remotely close to correct?

I'm going to wait for Volvo to get back to me.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanerPA View Post
      The axle, part number 8252047.

Now FCP Euro is telling me that I should be using the axle for a '04-07 M66 equipped car (manual), part number 8252051?!? They're saying that this is the correct part number according to the VIN lookup. Could this even be remotely close to correct?

I'm going to wait for Volvo to get back to me.
      I see. VPWS shows the 8252047 being an M58, AW50-51 axle. :/

FWIW, my Duralast 10933N (https://www.autozone.com/drivetrain/...1248_2362_2805) is still going strong (~30k miles and 3 years later). Driver side M66.
      Last edited by NorthWestR; 12-12-2018 at 01:28 PM.
      NorthWestR - Instagram
      2006 V70R | TF-80 | TIKAP | Hilton Stage 2 | do88 FMIC | Ferrita DP | Heico Quad Tip Catback | TME VR Springs | UR Braces | IPD Track Sways | IPD Adjustable Toe Bars | IPD Camber Bushings [B]

I see. VPWS shows the 8252047 being an M58, AW50-51 axle. :/

FWIW, my Duralast 10933N (https://www.autozone.com/drivetrain/...1248_2362_2805) is still going strong (~30k miles and 3 years later). Driver side M66.
      What is VPWS?

I don't know what all that means, but it sounds like the wrong thing, doesn't it?

What does your info tell you about 8252051?

Volvopartswebstore; normally pretty accurate. Of course.. when it comes to axles it's nearly goddamn impossible to get accurate information from anywhere.

The 8252051 axle is the M66 Passenger side P2R Axle (source: the extra axle in my garage from a 2005 M66 S60R). The old part number for this axle is 36000534.
      NorthWestR - Instagram

Volvopartswebstore; normally pretty accurate. Of course.. when it comes to axles it's nearly goddamn impossible to get accurate information from anywhere.

The 8252051 axle is the M66 Passenger side P2R Axle (source: the extra axle in my garage from a 2005 M66 S60R). The old part number for this axle is 36000534.
      So what would you use for an automatic 2004 V70R?

Are you talking about this site?
      https://usparts.volvocars.com/a/Volv...R-74570.html#4

I put my VIN number in there- this is the Volvo USA parts site. It gave me four options:
      The header says AW50-51 AWD- which sounds like my transmission type
      8252047- that doesn't work
      8252051- this is the manual transmission axle
      8252053- is this the right one? Looks correct, don't know about the length
      8252055- this one has a separate part number for the ABS tone ring, which looks like it is either not included or removable?
      8251783- this is for cars below chassis 334999; mine is 414171

I don't know parts numbers for the axles for a 04/05 GT (AW-55) P2R. I just know that it's a different axle than M66 and TF-80sc. :/
      NorthWestR - Instagram

I was a little premature- jacked the car up and took a look underneath- the axle is fine. Looks like maybe the front CV on my driveshaft crapped out.

There’s gear oil everywhere and the angle gear looks wet as hell. I’m going to have to pull the driveshaft and see if the CVs are done. Maybe get a reman driveshaft from Colorado driveshaft. 153k on the original and I think it’s done. The noise that I thought was the axle is probably the driveshaft considering the axle looks perfectly fine.

Gear oil or bearing grease?

The driveshaft CV should be loaded up with grease, but you wouldn't have oil from a driveshaft CV boot failure. I would check your AG fluid level/trans fluid level, as those are the two places gear oil would be coming from.
      NorthWestR - Instagram

Gear oil or bearing grease?

The driveshaft CV should be loaded up with grease, but you wouldn't have oil from a driveshaft CV boot failure. I would check your AG fluid level/trans fluid level, as those are the two places gear oil would be coming from.
      Gear oil- trans fluid smells different, but I'll check both. Might be angle gear failure, but the noises I was hearing sounded a lot more like an axle failure, rotating noise, increased with power and speed but much less sound without power application (coasting made it quieter). When it failed, I heard a big slapping sound like something was rotating and hitting something. I'll have the car up on jackstands tomorrow to take a good close look at it.

Agreed, since you have an automatic. Check your angle gear. The seal for the angle may have failed.

Quote Originally Posted by black944 turbo View Post
      Agreed, since you have an automatic. Check your angle gear. The seal for the angle may have failed.
      Do you know if the seals are serviceable without removing the angle gear from the car?

I am not sure, others can probably chime in. I would assume you can, but removing it isn't horrible. I just had mine out a few weeks ago to change the axle seal snide the angle gear sleeve.

Putting the definitive in the definitive axle thread. 8252051 is the correct passenger side axle for the M66 (manual) transmission R. Purchased this new from dealer and it is visually identical to the original. Installed and my R is back up. Cleared up a nasty vibration, pretty sure driver side needs replacing as well.

If you searched this thread for that part number there were 6 hits (3 questions, 2 quotes, and 1 listing it as correct part based on spare laying in garage).

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
      '05 S60R - 2.4R, RaceS60R FMIC, RaceS60R Downpipe, SPEC LWFW/Stage 3 clutch, Elevate upper mount, Forge CBV, Phuzzy HDTCV, Eibach, IPD Sways, Powerflex/Superflex CA bushings, JVC M730 Head Unit (Android Auto, Subwoofer, Back Up Camera)
      '99 Audi A4 1.8T Stage 3...

Lots of different part numbers in here so hopefully someone can help me out. I need to do my passenger front axle. Which Autozone number is the right one for a M66 car? Is it the 6014N?

Thanks
      '04 V70R M66, Blk sapphire w/Gobi Snabb FMIC kit, IPD front & rear sways, IPD springs, IPD strut bar mounts, IPD 18x8 wheels, IPD poly upper engine stabilizer mounts, IPD poly subframe bushing inserts, IPD poly lower trans mount, Grom bluetooth audio kit, PIAA yellow fog lamp bulbs, muffler delete.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast