SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Pole Position: Start Here for Common Issues and Questions about 2011+ S60/V60 Models

63K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  PostmanPat 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This thread will serve as a database for everyone's reference regarding some of the better known issues (and fixes) for common problems on 2011+ S60 and V60 models. Please feel free to post up suggestions along with links to relevant threads and I will incorporate suggestions where appropriate in this post. We want this list to be as comprehensive as possible!

General Information
Sources for Service Bulletins
Enter your VIN here to check for outstanding recalls on your Volvo
T5 vs T6: Differences
T6 vs T6 R-Design: Differences
Touch-Up Paint Codes and Volvo part numbers

Safe and Secure/Warranty Questions
CPO Vehicles and Safe and Secure
Safe and Secure Information for 2013 Volvos

Suspension
Touring vs Dynamic Suspension
4C vs Regular Dynamic Suspension
IPD Sway Bar Upgrade

Drivetrain
Rough Transmission Downshifts and Software Updates
The Polestar Upgrade for T6 Models: Information and Review
Adding "Sport" mode to the transmission - 2011 T6 Owners
Changing your own oil - 2011 S60 T6

Electronics and Interior
Wind Noise/Body and Mirror Seal Recall (2011s only)
Sensus 3.0 Software Update - The Definitive Thread
Sirius Satellite Radio Reception Issues
Monitoring Engine Temperature
Leaks from Windows and Sunroof
Squeaks and Creaks: Start Here
Noisy A/C Compressor Recall Information
Using an iPhone 5 with Sensus
Interior Cabin Filter Replacement/Writeup
2013+ Illuminated Shifter Assembly Retrofit into 2011-2012 S60

Features
Adaptive Cruise Control
Watching DVDs in your S60/V60
Navigation - using Volvo "MyPOI" Tips and Tricks
Trailer Hitches and Towing
Write Up: Factory Trailer Hitch for Volvo S60

Upgrades
DIY Intake MODs

Trailer Hitch threads:
Several readers have installed the Curt Hitch #13266 from etrailer.com or amazon.com. It is a Class 3 hitch with the larger 2-inch receiver for bike racks and trailers.

2012 S60:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?165863-Anyone-put-a-trailer-hitch-on-a-2012-S60
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?159091-North-American-tow-hitch

2013 S60:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?189760-HOWTO-Trailer-hitch-wiring-for-2013-S60

2015.5 V60CC
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?232455-V60-cross-country-hitch-options-and-install

See less See more
#2 ·
DWBF1 you rock! Thanks for the threads.

Our forum has arrived, we have stickies!

#3 ·
Thank you! For now, everyone can post up replies and links, but please only for major or common issues (not something like your door panel screw was loose, causing a rattle, or you bought a lemon). This thread's sole purpose is to centralize information that we see several posts per week about. Eventually, I will delete all replies to this thread and lock it to keep information as readily accessible as possible.

#6 · (Edited)
FWIW, if you'd like to stickie...here's the method the Vovlo shop walked me through to clear codes. They forgot to reset after changing the oil today so it was done over the phone. Admittedly, it can be very tricky. This method is without keyless drive. First three steps were recommended to be sure all is clear before starting process.

- Close and lock/alarm the car, can do from inside if desired.
- Unlock car
- Open and close door (as if getting in)
- Place key in ignition
- Without foot on brake, press and release START (Position 1)
- Press and hold trip button near tachometer
- Without foot on brake, press and release START (Position 2) Dash lights will come on and all but one will go out
- Continue to hold trip button until the "i" starts to flash, release before it the "i" flashes 3 times. If it flashes the 3rd time, the code will not reset - start over. If it doesn't flash at all, start over.
- When the code clears, one chime will sound - done at this point
- Start the car and shut down to see if code still appears
- Exit and lock the car as normal

Don't know if this process clears all codes at once or one at a time or is just for the "Schedule Maint" message. May need to repeat for each, however, during my many follies while trying to do this I received 3 different codes, 021, 040, 161 at different times when getting to the "waiting for the "i" to flash" step.

Hope it helps. If anyone has something I missed, please shout out so this can be adjusted as needed.

#7 ·
Great start DWBF1! To keep this forum from becoming complaint & information only, I suggest adding some more fun topics. Like cosmetic upgrades such as ERST, Heico as well as notable builds; Arith's & wdimagineer's builds.

#8 ·
Led bulb guide

take it from someone who's tried them all! I have tried cheap leds from ebay, then genuine philips xtremevision leds (both festoon and t10 types in 6k and 4k) and then t10 from superbrightleds.com. Here are my findings and recommendation.

License plate: 38mm festoon type x2
ebay: 3 smd 5050 led canbus with a big heat sink. Recently removed to check on them and discovered a burning smell. I have since replaced them with two philips xtreme-vision 6k leds.
Recommendation: 6k philips xtremevision 38mm festoon led

trunk: 38mm festoon type x1
for maximum brightness, i chose the 4k philips xtremevision 38mm festoon led. However, i may try
the 3710 6 smd led bulb from superbrightleds.com

courtesy/map lights: T10 type x6
installed 4k philips xtremevision t10 leds on all four courtesy lights. Turns out they glow when the switch is on neutral position. They do turn off when switched to off position. Not happy with that, i ordered four 194 led bulb in cool white from superbrightleds.com. They are the best leds i've found. They work properly in the neutral position and are really bright and white. Be sure to test them upon installation as these bulbs are polarized.
Recommendation: 194 led bulb in cool white from superbrightleds.com

footwell: T10 type x2; puddle lights: T10 type x2
once again, i would recommend 194 led bulb in cool white from superbrightleds.com

in conclusion, i would order all led bulbs from superbrightleds.com. I was reluctant at first since their bulbs look exactly like those off ebay at double the price. I have since learned that they are much brighter that those from ebay. For more info, read this thread! Have fun with your new s60!

#10 ·
2013 S60 T5 has an incorrect capacity listed in the owners manual. The manual says the oil capacity is 7.6 qts, it is actually 5.8. See email below from Volvo:

I apologize for the confusion. Our 2013 owners manual is incorrect your S60 has an oil capacity of 5.8 qts. Thank you for taking the time to contact us, please feel free to contact me with any other questions or comments that you may have. Thank You for choosing Volvo!

As of 3/6/14 the online manual has not been updated.

#12 ·
#14 ·
#15 ·
This is really a great thread. I hope that you all can help me. I am ready to do a tune to my 2015 V60R and was considering the Hilton Stage 2, however I have been reading through these threads and was hoping for some direction between some other tunes out there...i.e. TDI and RICA, can anyone suggest info from there experiences.

Thanks

#16 ·
I think all the tunes work but so few people are running any of the tunes that data is very limited, and I don't know if anyone has done a direct comparison of any of the tunes subjectively let alone comparing logs, dyno, or quarter mile data. Anyone running a tuned P3 car is a bit of a pioneer for the Volvo tuning community, sad to say.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.