SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Nexus 7 HU project

26K views 76 replies 29 participants last post by  dmvee70r 
#1 ·
I hate the lack of features of the HU 803 and want to do a project and also have a bad ass head unit with loads of features for really cheap compared to current head unit costs.

I already have a good idea going but I want to know first off, the amp in the R (2004) is separate from the HU right? I heard it was under the seat.

I ask this because I will only be able to run the audio 2 ch from the nexus and will need a amp. I am hoping i can use the stock amp to get a decent amount of juice to the speakers without having to spend a ton of money on another amp and a Audison One Bit One unit.

What do you guys think? I will also have the Nex 7 be removable. Maybe relocate the stock head unit OR get a smaller one.

#45 ·
Loki,

have you tried to fit a Nexus 7 in the spot of the OEM DD? I made a cutout of the exterior dimensions and the fit is very very close. It may be possible to have a frame mount on the console and the Nexus 7 to snap into place, but having it fit behind the console will most likely not work.

I am actually planning on doing this with a sound processing unit and external 4-ch amp if modding my Bluepower unit does not work.

#51 ·
I was thinking recently about something very similar. I wanted to mount a dedicated screen with an actual computer hidden elsewhere in the dash. something like this with the bezel removed

http://www.amazon.com/Koolertron-1080P-Widescreen-Camera-Monitor/dp/B008S4J6AA

and then hook up a 1080p night vision camera for night driving and a hd back up camera
Windows 8 for touch, and an amp hooked up to the computer for the speakers. HOWEVER I don't wanna lose steering wheel control and haven't the knowledge at all how to hook those up. =(

#54 ·
Sounds demonic. Should apply fire to purge

#59 ·
Just wanted to bump this thread as I have finally gotten around to machining my DD bezel to fit the Nexus 7 and have all of the other pieces to make this work.

Stay Tuned.

#63 · (Edited)
So I made this much more complicated than needed. Some Pictures of the setup in the car.

I will take more pictures of the system as I did it when I remove it for more cleaning up.

Currently, the Nexus is Wifi only. I will eventually hotspot my iphone to connect for things like Waze GPS and general things (emails, web, etc). DashCommand works with Bluetooth linking for a very good visual interface. Also, it looks like the boost numbers reported to DashCommand are correct (comparing it to my IPD boost gauge). I play all music through Spotify that is currently used in offline mode. I usually part near enough to Wifi (at home, at work, and anywhere with xfinity or Optimum hotspots) so getting data is not a problem. I set up the Nexus 7 using Tasker for power on and standby modes.

The issue currently is I have to clean up the wiring of the system a little bit and then ground the system better. There is a little bit of alternator whine and also a speaker pop on startup. I complicated my life very much by using the Kicker Front Row. Smaller DSPs can be used like the JBL MS-2, but I got a good deal on a barely used Front Row so I went that route. You can also go with a manual Manual EQ, but you need a unit to process the front and rear channels separately so you can finely tune the Fader. I had to majorly hack up the back of my stereo cradle to make it all fit, but that is fine by me since it was already hacked to pieces after the Bluepower BLP-890 installation. I also have not been able to program the AXXES ASWC unit to read my steering wheel inputs. The posted instructions do not seem to work.

I will take more pictures of how I configured everything when it is out of the car later this week. To fit the Nexus 7, I had to machine off the entire lip of the Scosche bezel. This can be done by dremel or by milling machine (much easier to get a consistent finish).

More details to come.

Things I used:
- Nexus 7 (2013)
- Nexus 7 (2013) Matte Screen Protector
- Nexus 7 (2013) TPU Cover

- Scosche Das Kit for 2005-2007 S60 Double DIN
- Metra Axxess ASWC Steering Wheel Interface
- Metra 70-9221 Radio Wiring Harness Volvo 99-06
- Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 Punch Amp
- Kicker Front Row DSP
- Stereo Ground Loop Isolator
- Dual USB Car Charger
- Cigarette Lighter Socket
- Right Angle RCA Adapters
- Right Angle Micro-SUB A to B Cable
- Right Angle 4-Pole 3.4mm Stereo Audio Adapter
- 3.5mm 4 pole 3 way Audio Cable Splitter
- 3.5mm to 2 RCA Audio Adapter Cable

- OBD-II Bluetooth Reader for Android (For Running DashCommand)
- Right Angle OBD-II Adapter

#64 ·
So I made this much more complicated than needed. Some Pictures of the setup in the car.

I will take more pictures of the system as I did it when I remove it for more cleaning up.

Currently, the Nexus is Wifi only. I will eventually hotspot my iphone to connect for things like Waze GPS and general things (emails, web, etc). DashCommand works with Bluetooth linking for a very good visual interface. Also, it looks like the boost numbers reported to DashCommand are correct (comparing it to my IPD boost gauge). I play all music through Spotify that is currently used in offline mode. I usually part near enough to Wifi (at home, at work, and anywhere with xfinity or Optimum hotspots) so getting data is not a problem. I set up the Nexus 7 using Tasker for power on and standby modes.

The issue currently is I have to clean up the wiring of the system a little bit and then ground the system better. There is a little bit of alternator whine and also a speaker pop on startup. I complicated my life very much by using the Kicker Front Row. Smaller DSPs can be used like the JBL MS-2, but I got a good deal on a barely used Front Row so I went that route. I had to majorly hack up the back of my stereo cradle to make it all fit, but that is fine by me since it was already hacked to pieces after the Bluepower BLP-890 installation. I also have not been able to program the AXXES ASWC unit to read my steering wheel inputs. The posted instructions do not seem to work.

I will take more pictures of how I configured everything when it is out of the car later this week. To fit the Nexus 7, I had to machine off the entire lip of the Scosche bezel. This can be done by dremel or by milling machine (much easier to get a consistent finish).

More details to come.

Things I used:
- Nexus 7 (2013)
- Nexus 7 (2013) Matte Screen Protector
- Nexus 7 (2013) TPU Cover

- Scosche Das Kit for 2005-2007 S60 Double DIN
- Metra Axxess ASWC Steering Wheel Interface
- Metra 70-9221 Radio Wiring Harness Volvo 99-06
- Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 Punch Amp
- Kicker Front Row DSP
- Stereo Ground Loop Isolator
- Dual USB Car Charger
- Cigarette Lighter Socket
- Right Angle RCA Adapters
- Right Angle Micro-SUB A to B Cable
- Right Angle 4-Pole 3.4mm Stereo Audio Adapter
- 3.5mm 4 pole 3 way Audio Cable Splitter
- 3.5mm to 2 RCA Audio Adapter Cable

- OBD-II Bluetooth Reader for Android (For Running DashCommand)
- Right Angle OBD-II Adapter
My jaw dropped at first glance, and then I had the happiest smile on my face seeing that there's people here trying all sorts of cool things!! :)

Hope you get all the challenges taken care of soon and looking forward to seeing more awesome updates on this!!

#65 ·
Congrats for following through on such an ambitious & well integrated project! Looking forward to seeing the details!

#67 · (Edited)
#70 ·
I put the OUKU double din full android version like this in my car

Works great. I set up a bluetooth profile so when I get in the car and the phone connects via bluetooth it triggers the phone to turn on a hotspot which the HU connects through to get data for music streaming, email, facebook, maps etc.

The one thing that is slightly weird is the bluetooth chipset is separate from the android OS so you don't see text notifications. The phone has an "app", dvd player is also an app, as well as the usb/media playlist thing. Radio as well is it's own separate hardware so if you were listening to the radio when you shut the car off, the radio will play immediately WHILE android starts up. It does reboot every time the car starts, no sleep mode that I know of.

#68 ·
That's really cool, you could now get one of those Bluetooth OBDII deals to plug in for diagnosis and also launch Torque to see all kinds of data on your car.

Very cool man, nice work. Look forward to seeing how you did this and where you go from here.

#69 · (Edited)
That's really cool, you could now get one of those Bluetooth OBDII deals to plug in for diagnosis and also launch Torque to see all kinds of data on your car.

Very cool man, nice work. Look forward to seeing how you did this and where you go from here.
Already did and have it working with Dash Command. Have not played with custom gauge setups but that can all be done later.

And Spotify for music

I figured out the speaker popping issue, as well as eliminated a lot of the alternator whine/noise. Turns out the right angle 4 conductor adapter I purchased wasn't that great, so I plugged the 3 way 3.5mm 4 conductor splitter right into the Nexus 7 and all noise is gone. Also added in a ground loop isolator between the Nexus and the Axxess ASWC.

Future plan is to add on a fixed microphone in the car also to allow for Skype calls, and maybe, if they ever come out with an app for it, to take my calls from my iphone and forward them to the Nexus 7. (wishful thinking)

I will add more pictures of the setup when I remove the setup to clean it up a little bit later this afternoon.

More to come.

#71 ·
I would do this purely for the integration of the BT OBD2 and Torque app for gauging. Turbo noise is sufficient for me :).

#74 ·
Here are the best pictures I could get of how I stuffed everything into the Radio Cradle.

As I said in my first post, If you use the RF amp with a DSP like the JBL MS-2, you will not need to cut anything at all. System setup would probably be much easier also.

You can see the Nexus 7 in there with the blue TPU sleeve. I used double sided tape to keep it fixed to the bezel and made sure all of the other components sandwich it in there.

If anyone has questions on how I hooked everything up, just let me know.

I will play some more with rooting the Nexus 7 at a later date. Split screen programs would be pretty cool, as well has having the ability to fully close certain apps like Waze and DashCommand on shutdown. I could also go with a car themed skin, but I find the android interface easy enough to use while driving. (limited of course)

#76 ·
Down by Princeton. Grew up in Warren.

This will be much simpler for you since you already have a built in amp. Just need to get the correct wiring harness adapters, a DSP sound processor, a few adapter cables, a Nexus 7 and faceplate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.