Hello, all -
Just wanted to post here (registered to do so!) because I can't stress how important the information is here. I unfortunately did not find this until after several days of struggling with this install, but eventually got it to work. The big problem (to me, at least) is the lack of descriptive errors from the install process.
I successfully have VIDA 2014A running on a Windows XP (Home!) SP3 laptop. Here were my errors:
(1) Not enough RAM. Initially, I only had 2 GB in this old laptop. Had to buy a few more ... running with 4 GB now.
(2) Incorrect operating system (as poorly described in the log files as unsupported). With XP Home, I had to play the game mentioned in this thread's links to "fool" the install into thinking it was a Pro install, by editing the registry. This isn't just for VIDA, the OS really thinks it's a Pro now, kind of like me with this VIDA ...
(3) I would then go through a long install and it would seemingly get somewhere, but not really. The logs all pointed to inability to write to a database. Googling elsewhere took me to needing to install SQL Server Express 2005. I installed this, and presto - it seemed to install!
(4) But ... I still couldn't seem to load the web page when I clicked VIDA All-In-One (loading http://localhost/vida) ... I'd get a 404 error. This was my first realization that this application even used a web server, so I started fretting that I didn't have IIS installed. But no - I rebooted, gave it a few minutes (waiting for the yellow triangle in the task bar to go green), and suddenly I could get to a Volvo-ish webpage to (try) to log on. If you're not sure if the web server its using is really functioning, open up a command prompt (Start-Run-"cmd") and type "netstat -an" (enter) ... if it's running you'll see 127.0.0.1:80 on the left as listening.
(5) And now I still couldn't log on. I couldn't type anything, really, into the username box. This was because I had not installed the patch correctly. Did I mention this is an eBay purchase from China (for ~$120)? I had targeted the post-main-install patch for C:\VIDA (where I had installed VIDA), and it had looked like it had done something, but apparently it hadn't. Googling some more led me to some instructions that the patch (in this case) needs to be applied to C:\ instead (back a directory). I did this, and (I think) restarted, and finally I could both load the webpage and log in.
I will say that I still have some weird issues with the whole thing. For me, once I log in, load the vehicle and go to the Diagnostics tab, it does its thing and loads all of the fields. Then, within about 5 seconds, like clockwork, IE 8 crashes and says its reloading the page. Unfortunately you have to restart this process of adding the vehicle ... but the next time I go to Diagnostics, it tells me that it already has information previously retrieved, and gives me the option to use it instead of reloading. When I do this ("don't reload"), I can see everything with the car, and everything seems fine. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears! Again, I am on IE8 in XP SP3 (Home acting like Pro).
All in all, I'm glad with what I have discovered in my using VIDA for an hour. My wife's car (2011 XC60) looks to have a bad alternator, and is still well under-warranty. The local Volvo shop says they can't find anything wrong. And yet the VIDA testing of the battery show that the alternator is not providing enough current while in relatively idle states, leading to short drives causing a "low battery" indication upon next start-up. Amazing ... I don't think mechanics in my local Volvo dealer are really using this thing (and, after the install, I'm not sure I blame them). It's a cool/valuable system, but if Volvo techs won't/don't use it much, then its possible gains are severely reduced.
Anyways, thanks for this resource ... very much bookmarked and I'm sure that I'll be back soon.