SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Questions about the design of my new to me 2001 T5M

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Vikes740 
#1 ·
So this is my second Volvo. The first I had for right at a year before it was rear ended and totalled. I didn't have a place to work on it. With the new one, I've really been looking it over and have a few questions.

First off, my last car was an '87 Shelby charger so this thing is a lot lot different. I am impressed with how things are engineered, but it also makes it very complicated.

1) I have green tinted windows, this looks to be factory. I'm hoping it helps to keep the charcoal interior cool. What is the green tint?

2) Are those dual fuel tanks? How does it manage that?

3) What's with the big muffler in the back? Seems to take up a lot space that could be used for storage. would it really be that loud with a smaller muffler?

4) What is the background of the rear suspension design? Is it completely different for a 4wd? I took a look at that and I was like WTH! I'm having the sidehop issue. My shelby rear axle is now a trailer axle. I'd like to see someone put that suspension under a trailer.

I wanted to ask about the dual oxygen sensors too but I think I've asked enough questions.

See less See more
#2 ·
1) All volvos I've ever owned are slightly green tinted, not sure about any details other than that.
2) It's not dual tanks, it's one plastic tank with a weird shape.
3) It will be louder with a smaller muffler. It's kind of like the old racing adage of "Fast, Cheap, Reliable" only it's "Good flow, small size, quiet - Pick 2."
4) The second post-cat oxygen sensor is only used to tell if the cat is working.

Welcome to the club! Read the manual to learn about some of the car's strange quirks, like when you get in and the power seat changes position, it's actually for a reason! Or why the fuel door doesn't seem to lock even though you notice it unlock.

Here's a link if you didn't get a paper copy: http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/2001/2001_V70/01v70_00.htm

#3 ·
Shelby Charger to V70 T5M....
Man, it must be like getting a Ferrari 308 with a Mercedes SL interior stuffed inside. I had an 84 Daytona which had the vinyl ribbed buckets. Great seats, but the 105 hp NA 2.2 and 3AT made it a great place to sit in with the engine off.

#4 ·
Welcome to SS !! Love to see your V70 so share the pictures with the fellow members :)
Enjoy the car ..you'd love it !

Kindest,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.