The V70R Project
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The V70R Project

Following on from the XC70 R Project which has now been sold and in the hands of its new owners, its time for another build thread.

2004 V70R GirlTronic

So let the fun begin!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Installed mods:

MTE R stage 2 ECU tune
      365hp @ 6000 rpm. 500Nm Torque @ 2000-4200 rpm.
      http://mte.se/default.asp?mP=1&nId=15

Snabb Turbo intake pipe

EVOLVE Air Management System

TME stainless downpipe and full exhaust

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time to strap the R down and go to the moon.

Random Martian wildlife (otherwise known as Emus)

Time to improve the sound quality. Seems as it came factory with a 9 speaker 300w Dynaudio system, it needed a touch up.
      Dynamat

before:

after:

Dynamt Extreme in the boot. A must for Volvo wagons:

Some may recall I bought the car with a 4C fault code: CHASSIS SETTINGS SERVICE REQUIRED, which is normally caused by a dead strut or dislocated sensor.
      I looked into a quick remedy to fix it by using some resisters and trick the system to thinking there was working strut.
      Upon pulling the plug out we suddenly found our problem. The cable for the F/R strut had been crimped and broken. I stripped the wire and reconnected it to the plug. Presto, 4C now active. I was also about to buy a new strut too.

Time to see how fast she goes..
      Was a good night apart from a left rear puncture and a random check engine fault code came on after the second run. With thanks to a local Swede, it was diagnosed and cleared.
      Was also the first time I've put it into race mode.

Pretty consistant night with the times.
      1st run 13.759 @ 99.22 mph
      2nd run 13.683 @ 99.66mph
      3rd run 13.844 @ 99.66 mph - running in manual mode
      4th run 13.682 @ 100.11 mph. - 1.94 60'

Time to add some bling to the interior.
      3M 1080 brushed Aluminium.

As some may know, where I live we get temperatures in the high 30's low 40's for about 1/3 of the year. That means I need a bigger fridge.
      So I got a custom Front Mount Intercooler kit. The kit is the GSX_Todd FMIC kit but with my own Intercooler core.

During the process of installing the kit, we encountered a major problem. The Intercooler was 4" too long.
      The core was much larger than the supplied kit was designed for so we had to come up with an alternative plan.
      After a few other fitment dilemmas and waiting for overnight parts from China, the FMIC kit has finally been installed.

Finished.

During the process I thought i'd conduct a quick stage 2 weight reduction:
      OOPS.

While the front was open, I thought I'd take advantage and hi-pressure clean the radiator and aircon. This is some of the crap that washed out. I would say a good 3 cups of sand, dirt, dragonfly guts and rocks.

While the car was up on the jacks having he FMIC installed, I thought I'd get myself a set of 2006 VR Jewel tail lights:

06 jewels

One thing that does bug me with the R is how much dirt and dust it sucks in the tailgate on outback roads. After each trip I have to wash down the interior and under the tailgate trims religiously to get the dust out. Its not so much the cleaning up that bothers me it the breathing in of the fine orange dust for the rest of the trip that really gets up my nose

Amongst other things. Some more mods and upgrades have been done:
      • My drivers side door speaker blew over xmas so I purchased a set of replacements.
      • Fuel cap hinge broke so a new one was installed.
      • A set of 5mm spacers are about to be installed - to help prevent some tyre rubbing during turning.
      • A new set of front Lower Control Arms with new bushes were installed.
      • New tyres.
      • Wheel alignment completed.
      • Installed 5000k 35w HIDs
      • Dynamat in the tailgate.
      Last edited by Ocean Racer; 03-10-2013 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Added more info
      02 XC70 R PROJECT TERRÄNGKÖRNING LANDVAGN
      04 V70R PROJECT LANDBARGE
      11 XC60 R-DESIGN PROJECT HEICO

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

To you sir, I raise my glass...

As always there are the hiccups along the adventure.
      Keep them coming.

Cheers,

Trent
      2004 | V70R
      2008 | V50 T5 AWD
      2015 | V60 Polestar

a pleasure to read and watch the pictures. I envy you.. I mean look at those landscape pics. Australia is one of those places I wish to visit someday in my life. Those pics with the VR look like Volvo should've used these to advertise the car. Good job!

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

very nice R and work Ocean Racer.
      1997 Avalon
      2000 ML320
      2000 ML55 AMG
      2005 XCR90
      2006 C70
      2006 S60R - gone

Subscribed!
      Great job fitting the BIG FMIC.
      Missing my 2007 V70R GT, Black Sapphire, Nordkap, Nav, Sub Woofer & Bluetooth, Track Spec Sways, EBD & Resonator Delete, Four-C-Mod, Machined Pegs
      2007 V70R From 2010 to 2020 (SOLD)
      2019 V60 T6 AWD Purchased new in 2020

This picture always cracks me up.
      Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy ****, what a ride!"

Presently taking a ride thru the Black Forest.

Nice. Love the sound deadening, underrated mod IMO. I added sound deadening to all 4 doors & trunk, I HATE road noise. Would love to do the floor & roof too but realistically I don't see it happening with the free time I have...

Quote Originally Posted by contrast View Post
      a pleasure to read and watch the pictures. I envy you.. I mean look at those landscape pics. Australia is one of those places I wish to visit someday in my life. Those pics with the VR look like Volvo should've used these to advertise the car. Good job!
      +1 The last desertscape shot with the dark sky is my favorite.
      2007 XC90 V8 - 2005 V70R M66
      2015 F150 Supercrew 2WD 3.5L

Very nice. Makes me want a wagon even more
      2007 S60 R GT Titanium Grey - BUILD THREAD
      2018 XC60 R-Design Bursting Blue - Daily
      IG: @boostedR

The V70R Project

Ocean racer what's going on with your interior it looks like it was gobi and at least the front seats were changed to charcoal sport seats from a T5 or something.
      2004 S60R, black sapphire, nordikap, M66, Autotech Stage2, K&N, 3" DP, EST catback w/ EST res delete, viva HD CBV,viva FMIC, TWM short shift, snabb intake pipe, TME springs, IPD track spec sways.

Subscribed!
      Ocean Racer, your pics from the calendar are now my wallpaper on my tablet!!!
      Not that I am partial since we have virtually identical cars :-)
      His: 2004 V70R GT, Silver Metallic with Gobi, RICA Tune, Alpine IVA-W205 with Nav & XM, K40 Radar built in

Overnight delivery from China.....nice

I have also treated my boot with acoustical material. Take the time to cove the inside of the hatch as well. Marked difference of interior exhaust tone.
      Great work! Hope it all goes smoothly.
      Wagons rule.
      06 VR 6M, Sapphacama, 207miles, loaded and modded.
      "…it must be made to look the best and most evil in its evilness." - Helmut

Quote Originally Posted by LOGBOMB View Post
      Ocean racer what's going on with your interior it looks like it was gobi and at least the front seats were changed to charcoal sport seats from a T5 or something.
      Its factory for the Au market.
      Off black leather with Gobi carpets etc.
      Would still prefer Atacama any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by nedmonds View Post
      Subscribed!
      Ocean Racer, your pics from the calendar are now my wallpaper on my tablet!!!
      Not that I am partial since we have virtually identical cars :-)
      haha cool
      I will have to post the download address for more high res shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightspeed View Post
      I have also treated my boot with acoustical material. Take the time to cove the inside of the hatch as well. Marked difference of interior exhaust tone.
      Wagons rule.
      Yeah I havent done the latch yet. Luckily I still have plenty left over.
      I had problems with clips braking in the XC tailgate latch and the annoying squeak forever after. I trust the R tailgate is made of fibreglass as well?

amazing...
      Gone: 2004 s60r FG/Atacama
      2004.5 S40 2.4
      2000 Pontiac Trans Am (The Beast)
      2003 Chevrolet Suburban
      2004 Saturn Ion Redline (gas sipper)

Dude. Those PICS.
      2006 Volvo S60R aka Vivian Geartronic

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean Racer View Post
      Yeah I havent done the latch yet. Luckily I still have plenty left over.
      I had problems with clips braking in the XC tailgate latch and the annoying squeak forever after. I trust the R tailgate is made of fibreglass as well?
      My hatch/tailgate is metal. Never would have thought it was fibreglass considering the pounding it takes opening and closing.
      I also placed Dmat inside the hatch cavities and used rubber acoustical spray inside there for additional coverage.

edit- just re-read your post. If you mean the inside carpeted cover on the hatch, not sure if that is plastic or fglass.
      Last edited by Lightspeed; 02-22-2013 at 09:12 PM. Reason: doh

Wagons rule.
      OK, as stupid as this may sound, what part of the caR is the "boot"? And what part of the caR is the "hatch / tailgate" = rear door? I only ask because I plan to treat my caR with acoustical material.
      Last edited by ojs; 02-22-2013 at 09:35 PM.
      Current:1997 855 T5 Nautic Blue/Graphite|Ceramic Thermal Tint KW:V3 Michelin:245/40R17 17mm Spacers Rear+225/45R17 UR:Strut Braces Setrab:Oil & Trans Coolers Custom Ceramic Coat:Custom Exhaust & Exhaust Manifold TKi:Endlinks/Toebar AEM:Meth Inj Garrett:GT3071R Turbo Upgrade (375whp)
      Destroyed:2007 S60R GT Black SapphireMetallic/Gobi

The V70R Project

Quote Originally Posted by ojs View Post
      OK, as stupid as this may sound, what part of the caR is the "boot"? And what part of the caR is the "hatch / tailgate" = rear door? I only ask because I plan to treat my caR with acoustical material.
      Tailgate/ latch/ boot / rear door all the same thing.

Tailgate/ latch/ boot / rear door all the same thing.
      Damn! I thought for sure the boot was the engine hood/bonnet. Thanks.
      Current:1997 855 T5 Nautic Blue/Graphite|Ceramic Thermal Tint KW:V3 Michelin:245/40R17 17mm Spacers Rear+225/45R17 UR:Strut Braces Setrab:Oil & Trans Coolers Custom Ceramic Coat:Custom Exhaust & Exhaust Manifold TKi:Endlinks/Toebar AEM:Meth Inj Garrett:GT3071R Turbo Upgrade (375whp)
      Destroyed:2007 S60R GT Black SapphireMetallic/Gobi

My hatch/tailgate is metal. Never would have thought it was fibreglass considering the pounding it takes opening and closing.
      I also placed Dmat inside the hatch cavities and used rubber acoustical spray inside there for additional coverage.

edit- just re-read your post. If you mean the inside carpeted cover on the hatch, not sure if that is plastic or fglass.
      It's actually plywood, just like my '97 V70 AWD was (and the WWII Hurricane fighter/bomber fuselage!)
      KECA Kombi - Now '16 V60 T6 AWD R-Design - Just a K&N filter so far, but love the PoleStar tune.

now THAT is a serious solution to your head light and cluster mod hurdles. Good call.
      iPD tune / Bilstein HD /25mm sways / Heico dual exhaust / OE sport body kit / HID Projectors / VST strut brace / EU power folding mirror kit / iMIV / Volvotech CFE / etc.

oceanracer, your VR looks bone stock yet it has some nice mods! honestly im loving the bone stock look. keep it a super sleeper. a BEAUTIFUL sleeper

keep up the good work!
      2005 S60R M66 Magic Blue/Nordkap BUILD THREAD
      1996 855R M56 LSD Black/Black
      1983 242 GLT TURBO M46 Seneca Red BUILD THREAD
      1999 V70R Mystic Silver
      1988 245+T M46 Scotia Blue BUILD THREAD - Crushed
      INSTAGRAM - @johnaji

Nope, it's fiberglass. ALL P2 wagon OEM tailgates are fiberglass. Unless you got an aftermarket/Chinese gate from an accident.
      07 VR 6MT, Elec. Silver/Nordkap. Pwr mirrors, Do88 IC, OBX DP, iPd oval exhaust, Elevate bumper grilles, SNABB short shift w/ Abrahms M1 knob, tint, 18" Odysseus reps...

OceanRacer, that one pic reminds me of White Sands, New Mexico. Nice pics.

2005 Volvo V70R Blk Nordkap, 3 Pedal Set-up, Evolve hood grill, EST downpipe, KN filter window in box, LED Interior, FMIC
      2007 Volvo XC90 Red V8 R-design Drilled and Slotted Rotors, LED interior
      1990 Volvo 240 Blue 3 Pedal Set-up, Future Project Car
      2013 Volvo C30 Blue 3 Pedal Set-up Polestar 250/250

The V70R Project

Quote Originally Posted by glocksrox18 View Post
      oceanracer, your VR looks bone stock yet it has some nice mods! honestly im loving the bone stock look. keep it a super sleeper. a BEAUTIFUL sleeper

keep up the good work!
      Cheers !
      That may also be due to the impossibility to get any exterior parts for the R where I live.

I am very keen to have the black trims painted silver to match the paint.

Lovin' the progress so far, nice work dude!
      1999 V70 R -- gone, but not forgotten.
      2000 V70 R -- 04 B5234T9 w/ 18T, Stevo tune, M66, CX Racing coilovers, 996TT front BBK. Always working on something...

Gorgeous pics! Car is looking good.

What size intercooler did you go with?

Quote Originally Posted by Quin View Post
      Gorgeous pics! Car is looking good.

What size intercooler did you go with?
      Cheers

Cooler is 600mm from weld to weld. 2.5" in and out.

Hands down one of the best car shots I have ever seen. And undeniably the best R shot ever! Front of the car could use a little post work but all I can say is Wow!
      2004 V70R Auto, Black sapphire- gobi l Snabb FMIC & downpipe l IPD 3" cat back exhaust l Evolve CAI l IPD sway bars l Viva rear lower chassis brace l 5/20/35 Tint l IPD grill l Pioneer 4400 HU l JL Audio W3 12" l JL Audio JX5001 digital monoblock amp l Anthracite powdercoated 18" pegs l Morimoto mini D2S bi-xenon projector retrofit
      2001 BMW E38 M7 build with fresh built E39 M5 S62 V8 and ESS supercharger/6 speed/M5 diff

If I wanted to do a custom inter-cooler on my car, what size would you suggest after running into the issues that you did?

Quote Originally Posted by Quin View Post
      If I wanted to do a custom inter-cooler on my car, what size would you suggest after running into the issues that you did?
      I would get a smaller one. Say 600mm from end to end and not weld to weld like mine. This will allow you to have the 2.25" cooler feed in line and outlet at 90 degrees past the radiator and headlight support. The GSX_Todd kit has all of this.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast