Access through fire wall on XC60 for trailer brake controller cabling
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Hi, I was hoping someone might have had to try and run cables through the firewall and tell me the best place to do this - I need to wire up a trailer brake controller and have to run cabling direct from battery through firewall to the controller that mounts near the driver and then sends this braking signal to the rear trailer hitch connection - naturally I do not want to mess with the sealing and integrity of the cables that run through to the engine bay.
      thanks in advance for any help or suggestion

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

You should have wiring already there for this in the rear cargo area behind a pop out panel near the right rear wheel-well. There is a connector for the OEM hitch.
      2011.5 XC60 3.2L Flamenco Red/Anthracite Black, Premium, Multimedia, Convenience, BLIS, Xenon + Custom Subwoofer

Hi Stewbydog, I have fitted a brake controller to mine and mounted it under the steering wheel. Where in Australia are you located?

Regards,

Michael

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Volvo publishes the installation manuals for accessories here:

http://accessories.volvocars.com

Find a similar accessory and you can get a lot of insight into things like running
      wires, pulling trim, etc. Examle (see pags marked 75 and 76):

http://accessories.volvocars.com/Acc...3667-4/NOTHING

You have to dig a bit but they are great resources.
      2011 S60 T6, Flamenco Red / Biege, Polestar Tune; 1998 V70 T5.
      Previous (sold): 95 855 GLT; 98 S70 T5M; 2000 S40; 2006 XC90 Ocean Race

Would appreciate your help with feeding wires thru the fire wall for brake controller

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMikeD5 View Post
      Hi Stewbydog, I have fitted a brake controller to mine and mounted it under the steering wheel. Where in Australia are you located?

Regards,

Michael
      Hi Michael, I would greatly appreciate any help/suggestions for running brake controller wires from battery to rear of trailer connection - I do have the car booked into a local trailer company who said they could do it but I fear they are no familiar with the XC60 install. I have just had the trailer module fixed after I plugged it onto the trailer and it fried the trailer module - my dealer had to replace the module and took 5 hours to get it reconfigured and running again so I am very wary about it happening again.
      I am in Brisvegas north suburbs
      Thanks again Stew

Hi KRN, many thanks for the link - it is a very handy for ideas into how this may be done
      Cheers
      Stew

By far the easiest way if you have an automatic: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...ual-experience, posting #31....
      2012 XC60 R-Design; Black Sapphire metallic, off black smooth leather interior with beige inlay, convenience Pkg, Climate Pkg, PCC, ...
      Magnaflow muffler and exhaust tips, rear spacers 15mm h&r and trailer hitch

per an earlier post, all the connections you need are in the back of the vehicle. Not having to run to the battery saved me much on the expected labor for my install.
      2011 XC60 T-6 AWD R-Design + Polestar, Passion Red (climate, navigation, and technology packages). Added: Custom Subwoofer, Trailer Hitch, Vision X LED light bar and fogs, and Laser Interceptor V. 8 (Quad).

Writeup of how someone did this on an S60:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...g-for-2013-S60
      2011 S60 T6, Flamenco Red / Biege, Polestar Tune; 1998 V70 T5.
      Previous (sold): 95 855 GLT; 98 S70 T5M; 2000 S40; 2006 XC90 Ocean Race

Thanks for the tip - I will look to see if this is the same for r/h drive cars

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel View Post
      By far the easiest way if you have an automatic: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...ual-experience, posting #31....
      Hi Marcel- thanks for the link to the suggestion that there is a foam plug - I shall look tomorrow and hope that r/h drive cars are the same as you suggest - may not be as we are not offered a manual drive car in Australia
      Cheers
      Stew

Hey Stew, I sent you a message.

Cheers

Hello all who may be interested - the brake controller install is now complete - the local trailer business had it for a day and decided that it was all too hard?? apologised and gave the car back - they looked at the 13pin connector that the dealership had installed and found it to be a sealed unit - they contacted the local Volvo dealer and they gave the story that they can only fit trailer brake controllers and wanted $1450 to do the job.
      I returned home peeved off so set about doing it myself - I took mark-sf idea to use the 12vdc source that runs to the 13 pin trailer connector and ran this to the drivers side of the car under the carpets - not a difficult job just time consuming.
      The biggest problem was that I found the 13 to 7 pin adaptor that comes with the car supplies the r/h park light to the pin 5 needed to run the "Service brake" on all 7 pin connections - someone really didn't think about this before manufacturing it.
      I had to dig out the silicon sealant that is used to seal the back of the 13 pin connector and run the service brake wire to this - sounds confusing I know. anyway all is working and having family holidays in our new camper. Thanks all for your input.
      Cheers Stewbydog

Stewbydog, I am getting my 2009 XC60 (Australian) ready for towing. I have the 7 pin flat factory connector. Just figured out tonight that the dealer left the blue (electric brake wire, pin 5) unterminated. Therefore, it will be easy to connect in the brake signal. Can you give any more detail on where you routed your back to front wires under the carpets. I am trying to figure out the best way to this myself. Since I only have the 7 pin trailer plug, I can use the 11D/A9 fuse for my brake controller power. Did you run the stop signal, power and electric brake signals from the back to the front?

Quote Originally Posted by krn View Post
      Volvo publishes the installation manuals for accessories here:

http://accessories.volvocars.com

Find a similar accessory and you can get a lot of insight into things like running
      wires, pulling trim, etc. Examle (see pags marked 75 and 76):

http://accessories.volvocars.com/Acc...3667-4/NOTHING

You have to dig a bit but they are great resources.
      This was a great resource.
      I can see where I would pull off the 12V, but I need to get a "Brake Applied" signal, and the control module sends out 12V pulses to look for a bulb out. I was hoping for a brake controller plug under the dash with the signal from the brake pedal. I think Toyotas have this kind of plug... Looking for something like this on the Volvo up front under the dash...(via online resources).

Going with RF Trailer Brake Controller

I just purchased a "new to me" 2011 XC60 with the factory tow package installed. I went on Amazon and ordered an RF trailer brake controller, as I decided I didn't want to tear up the upholstery or continue digging into the wiring diagrams due to Volvo not giving us a nice connector under the dash and at the rear of the vehicle as I would have in a Toyota 4Runner,Sienna, Pick-up. I expect that I'll have the brake controller tomorrow, and will be hooking up my rig for the first time and taking it to some CAT scales on the weekend to get a baseline on the axle and tongue weights. (My travel trailer is 1800# empty 3500# gross).

Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy RF brake Controller $308.95.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2S...332190_TE_dp_1

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements