Headlight Wiper has a mind of its own...
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Headlight Wiper has a mind of its own...

So my driver's side headlight wiper basically just does whatever it wants now. After spraying the headlights (during which it sometimes moves and sometimes doesn't), it goes back to whatever position it feels like--sometimes the normal resting position, sometimes sticking straight up, and sometimes at the far end of its path.

I figure the motor must be bad, but wanted to confirm that I'm onto the right line of thinking before spending the time and money to replace that. Is that probably what's causing this, or is there something else I should be looking into?

(And no I don't want to get rid of the wipers; in fact I love them)

Thanks!
      2019 Volvo S60 T6 AWD Fusion Red/Charcoal
      2004 Volvo V70 R M66 Titanium Grey/Atacama
      Former owner 2018 V90 Cross Country, 2017 V60, 1996 911

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Hi Jonkoping,

The wiper motors on these cars are a common failure item and symptoms are just as you have mentioned.

You can find it on our site here: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...70-s60-8620959

Thanks

Jason
      Jason VanGorden
      FCP Euro Volvo Product Manager
      Quality & Service, Guaranteed for Life
      FCPEuro.com

Welcome to the dead headlight wiper club. Most of us who get there don't bother fixing them if our particular climate doesn't make them that necessary due to their cost.

You have two options, either you can remove them all together, or wait till its in the right position and unplug it. Even if you unplug them, it will not generate any codes or console warnings.

Locate and temporarily disconnect the wiper motor connector in question and connect it to a 12V source (there should be 3 leads - don't ask me which one's which). If the motor doesn't do anything it's broke. I would check your local junk yards for one. I know the ones for my V70R and S40 are similar. The connectors are different and the shaft for the wiper blade for the V70 is a bit longer. FYI, the motors alone look alike but are side-specific due to the resting parking position of the wiper. It's fairly easy replacing these, but it's a pain getting to them. That's why many just unplug it and live with it.
      Last edited by Config; 07-08-2016 at 01:25 PM.
      '00 Mystic Silver metallic V70R, Rear Wing, Dolby
      '02 Desert Wind S40 Sports premium/winter pkg
      '12 Savile Gray metallic S60 T5, Premium/Climate/BLIS/City Safety/rear spoiler
      '13 Seashell metallic XC60 T6, Platinum/Climate/BLIS/Polestar-tuned/IPD anti-sway bar
      '16 Seashell metallic S60 T5 AWD (replaced '17 S60)
      '13A DICE/VIDA, x's '93 850 GLT, '04 XC90, '17 S60 T5 (Totaled!)

6. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements