Custom S60R Hood Scoop to cool turbochager - Page 5
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
      I hate went spare time and money > brains. Horrid idea. Tasteless and Floridian to the nth degree.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GrandpasD5 View Post
      I hate went spare time and money > brains. Horrid idea. Tasteless and Floridian to the nth degree.
      yes, yes, yeeaaaas... tell me more about this hate you have and more about Floridians how they have all the money and spare time and all their horrid ideas...
      2006 S60R 2.4 T5 mostly stock fine tuned by https://urbastuning.wordpress.com
      ipd = sways, inter-cooler, inlet/TB/OTE silicone piping, cat back exhaust, rear camber bushings, sub-frame inserts,
      Originally Posted by John C "We are in the presence of greatness! "

Anyone can get money and spend money. If you elect to drive around with that scoop, go for it man!

Volvo has been the pride and joy of many practical, educated New England households for years. Hardly a car for showboating.

Good thing you are far, far away from the vast majority of R owners. Couldn't even tell you what would happen if you were, my guess is the scoop would be vandalized along with the rest of your car, or just stolen altogether and your performance parts divided up between the evil empire of northern Rs. This is a joke. This man is a joke.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Anyone can get money and spend money. If you elect to drive around with that scoop, go for it man!

Volvo has been the pride and joy of many practical, educated New England households for years. Hardly a car for showboating.

Good thing you are far, far away from the vast majority of R owners. Couldn't even tell you what would happen if you were, my guess is the scoop would be vandalized along with the rest of your car, or just stolen altogether and your performance parts divided up between the evil empire of northern Rs. This is a joke. This man is a joke.
      I don't know if you are trying to make enemies from the start, but if I were you I wouldn't be calling dougys ideas "impractical" and "uneducated". He has had a lot of good participation in the R community. This may be one of his more bizzare ideas but he already said he is going for functionality, not appearance. If he was doing this for a "look" I would think he went off the deep end but still wouldn't criticize him for it.
      2006 Volvo S60R GT - World Rally Blue w/ Black Wheels - Nordkap
      Performance Snabb: Intake pipe | IPD: AMS | VIVA: Upgraded CBV | CNT: Downpipe

Cosmetic Custom : Headlights Part 2 | Taillights | Plasti dip | Front grill

1995 Volvo 850 Turbo - White w/ Peg Reps - Beige

Quote Originally Posted by Saleen9090 View Post
      I don't know if you are trying to make enemies from the start, but if I were you I wouldn't be calling dougys ideas "impractical" and "uneducated". He has had a lot of good participation in the R community. This may be one of his more bizzare ideas but he already said he is going for functionality, not appearance. If he was doing this for a "look" I would think he went off the deep end but still wouldn't criticize him for it.
      ^ +1 Agreed. but dougy might have gone off the deepend with this one

that hood scoop belongs on a 90s mustang or civic rice car.

04 S60 R MT Titanium Grey/Nordcap thread Copper Work VX-XX 19" Staggered | DP & Custom Quad Tip Exhaust | 05+ Conversion Exterior & Interior | Sport Kit
      12 XC60 Ice White Wifey's Family Hauler | 3.2 AWD | Heico Kit | Fast 19" FC04A | Running Boards
      12 S60 R-Design Ice White | Bone stock for now
      IG: @devolvR

Dougy, just do this and it'll be nice...

04 S60 R MT Titanium Grey/Nordcap thread Copper Work VX-XX 19" Staggered | DP & Custom Quad Tip Exhaust | 05+ Conversion Exterior & Interior | Sport Kit
      12 XC60 Ice White Wifey's Family Hauler | 3.2 AWD | Heico Kit | Fast 19" FC04A | Running Boards

Just to increase validity of that Audi B7 hood scoop location for our Rs, here's Blot's Pressure readings from our bonnets. Which would be around +0.2 approximately of positive pressure, which is enough to create airflow to under the bonnet without the actual need for a hood scoop

Last edited by DevolvR; 03-18-2013 at 10:39 PM.

It just looks so wrong! I am being harsh and disrespectful. It's my nature when confronted with such ideas. A trait I am trying to get a handle on. Masshole aside, I won't knock his technical expertise. I do apologize, the man has contributed plenty and has done great things to advance this forum.

I will, however knock his taste. It's a round scoop on a car with clean straight lines, aesthetically speaking but in terms of his functional goals I really don't see how this is practical in any way compared to other suggestions. It just baffles me that this guy can pull an engine but can't figure out heat exchange.......very strange to me.

*Edit - I never called him uneducated or impractical I'm just describing your typical like minded Volvo owner. To each his own is a big part of any car community, but a scoop like that isn't slightly off or a bit unique, it's what I'd never want to see. But if it works, and I'm sure he could make it work, then it may just be worth it...
      Last edited by GrandpasD5; 03-18-2013 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DevolvR View Post
      Just to increase validity of that Audi B7 hood scoop location for our Rs, here's R-Kelly's Pressure readings from our bonnets. Which would be around +0.2 approximately of positive pressure, which is enough to create airflow to under the bonnet without the actual need for a hood scoop

That +2 is underneath the hood, meaning air would be evacuated out wherever the opening is. The turbo being located where it is on these cars, I don't foresee an opening (or scoop) doing much of anything other than generating lift... :\
      2005 Silver/Nordkap S60 R 6-Speed

Quote Originally Posted by SectorNine50 View Post
      That +2 is underneath the hood, meaning air would be evacuated out wherever the opening is. The turbo being located where it is on these cars, I don't foresee an opening (or scoop) doing much of anything other than generating lift... :\
      I digress! You are absolutely right, I was reading the whole thing wrong. In that case, then I vote on the headlight Ram Air

Re: Custom S60R Hood Scoop to cool turbochager

No one is trying to make enemy's here.. Just expressing opinions.. We may like an idea.. Or not.. But only opinion at the end of the day that should matter is dougys.. And what he decides to do with his time and money is his choice.. If he wants to put a dildo in the front grill he should.. Especially if it makes him happy..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
      Gone: 2004 s60r FG/Atacama
      2004.5 S40 2.4
      2000 Pontiac Trans Am (The Beast)
      2003 Chevrolet Suburban
      2004 Saturn Ion Redline (gas sipper)

jeeeeezus...Does air flow into or out of the hood scoop at speed? Here's the answer aaaand it will do the same on your R...for crying out loud what is this world coming to...

ipd = sways, inter-cooler, inlet/TB/OTE silicone piping, cat back exhaust, rear camber bushings, sub-frame inserts,

Quote Originally Posted by o2k View Post
      No one is trying to make enemy's here.. Just expressing opinions.. We may like an idea.. Or not.. But only opinion at the end of the day that should matter is dougys.. And what he decides to do with his time and money is his choice.. If he wants to put a dildo in the front grill he should.. Especially if it makes him happy..

That is true. He can do whatever he likes, but he'll likely get a lot of flak for it once it's done every time he posts photos of his R. No biggie.

Personally, I'd like to think that my mods are socially acceptable and garnered as "nice".

btw Dougy, since when did you adopt "bold" and "size 5" fonts?

Re: Custom S60R Hood Scoop to cool turbochager

That is true. He can do whatever he likes, but he'll likely get a lot of flak for it once it's done every time he posts photos of his R. No biggie.

Personally, I'd like to think that my mods are socially acceptable and garnered as "nice".

btw Dougy, since when did you adopt "bold" and "size 5" fonts?

You've got no complaints from me for your mods..

Gone: 2004 s60r FG/Atacama
      2004.5 S40 2.4
      2000 Pontiac Trans Am (The Beast)
      2003 Chevrolet Suburban
      2004 Saturn Ion Redline (gas sipper)

thanks o2k...but to make that dildo work the external urethral orifice would have to be super large to move some air onto my turbo exhaust housing. lololol

+1 for phallic inspired aero. I really like the idea of a recessed, flush, and integrated "shaker" style hood fitted from this very scoop, even if its not proportionally perfect. Obviously it won't work the same as a muscle car but I can see where his head is at. It would actually add some seriously cool character to it of done well.

I wish I could find a good example of a modern car with this retro look, if I can call it that, because it could actually look more modern if it was twice as long, very flush and low. It would add another layer of lines like that crazy cf hood on the red R.
      Last edited by GrandpasD5; 03-18-2013 at 02:47 PM.

Yup. Gawking doesn't begin to describe how I look at the rear of his R...sounds a bit dirty but ill roll with that.

I'm sure knows he owns one of the best looking R's in the world...period.
      Last edited by GrandpasD5; 03-18-2013 at 02:33 PM.

I'm sure knows he owns one of the best looking R's in the world...period.
      he sure does and I can tell you he is not from snapp city for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by dougy View Post
      he sure does and I can tell you he is not from snapp city for sure.
      Thanks guys, but wth is snapp city? lol

From all joking aside, I think a scoop could work, just not the one you have dougy. Here's my opinion ( and you can take it like a grain of salt ), but our R lines are rather clean and slightly edgy (see front bumper, rear bumper, etc). The hood scoop is too rounded in my opinion and doesn't fit the lines, looks like a cheap bolt on piece despite being functional. I get the feeling that you want a functional scoop, but it's only acceptable if it works well with the car, this is the same reason why we don't install GT style wings and side exhaust openings and like CF or metal air splitters at the front of the car; notice that all of them are deemed functional to a certain degree. For a functional scoop, if it were me, I would look for discreet scoop(s) with working under the bonnet diverters, or if you like something big; a subaru scoop that has the hood slightly raised with body work, and not a simple bolt on piece sort of look.

Personally,I would look at ceramic coating or thermal wrapping the turbo and the exhaust headers. Which would likely be a much more practical mod for cooling the engine bay.
      Last edited by DevolvR; 03-18-2013 at 02:49 PM.

^^^ funny this is what i picked for my R buuut...way too much to fit and it is metal.

people that judge your mods are from snap city....lololol

Last edited by dougy; 03-18-2013 at 02:58 PM.

^^^ funny this is what i picked for my R buuut...way too much to fit and it is metal.
      Exactly, so my point is, do it right or not at all and look for alternatives (like ram air , which you've done already, water cooling which you''ve also done) or other passive cooling / thermal solutions (ceramic, thermal wrapping, etc).

I get that bodywork isn't your thing (I'm more comfortable with it), I would look for a carbon fiber/fiberglass Legacy aftermarket hood, cut out the raised opening and transplant that to the R hood. Which would require fiberglass work to mend the 2 pieces together. I'm from muscleville and muscle bound, I take that this would be too much work and scary that you want your snap city scoop lol
      Last edited by DevolvR; 03-18-2013 at 03:07 PM.

Exactly, so my point is, do it right or not at all and look for alternatives (like ram air , which you've done already, water cooling which you''ve also done) or other passive cooling / thermal solutions (ceramic, thermal wrapping, etc)
      oh i did look at that one...had it in my hands as well and i hate bondo body filler..only way for that one...my will be a bolt on.

you see, when I get around to do it , i'll be no different that my rear spoiler...color does alot.
      Last edited by dougy; 03-18-2013 at 03:06 PM.

I vote for the huge dildo route. Can you imagine how fast people will move out of your way?
      '05 S60R 6M.
      Classic Mini Cooper Works 1275cc RHD

Quote Originally Posted by ScuffleDog View Post
      I vote for the huge dildo route. Can you imagine how fast people will move out of your way?
      thats what I am taking about,lets find out and bring your R over and I put it on for ya....

oh i did look at that one...had it in my hands as well and i hate bondo body filler..only way for that one...my will be a bolt on.

you see, when I get around to do it , i'll be no different that my rear spoiler...color does alot.
      I think the spoiler works, and I saw that. Not my style, but works fine with the R. It's not so much different from the S40 spoiler design (which is a mini S60 in many ways). The scoop however does not, and I can picture it sticking out like sore thumb. But anyway, go ahead if you think it'll work and I'll eat my own words if others start to agree with you once it's installed.

I think the spoiler works, and I saw that. Not my style, but works fine with the R. It's not so much different from the S40 spoiler design (which is a mini S60 in many ways). The scoop however does not, and I can picture it sticking out like sore thumb. But anyway, go ahead if you think it'll work and I'll eat my own words if others start to agree with you once it's installed.
      like i told you, it's going to be no different than the spoiler...sure i could have buttered it up and make the thread be 50/50 right of the bat by painting it but thats no fun or like the critic engineers say "not my cup of tea" ...but this is fun...if peeps like it or not at the end it is a success already now...

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...=honda+spoiler

* puts Orville Redenbachers popcorn in the microwave ... *

you'll need couple more bags...

Replies: 166
      Views: 3,369

I like the way this guy thinks...all you scoop hating motha....

I'll need some extra butter then

I like the way this guy thinks...all you scoop hating motha....
      Says OJ simpson as well. Doesn't mean it's right...

But anyway, you'll get an "A+" from me for execution, but from a presentation standpoint it'll be a "D".
      Last edited by DevolvR; 03-18-2013 at 03:45 PM.

Says OJ simpson as well. Doesn't mean it's right...
      hey man easy thats murder....it's just a scpoop...lolol...

you'll need couple more bags...

Replies: 166
      Views: 3,369
      Controversial threads always get more replies. Don't feel too special lol.
      2006 Volvo S60R GT - World Rally Blue w/ Black Wheels - Nordkap
      Performance Snabb: Intake pipe | IPD: AMS | VIVA: Upgraded CBV | CNT: Downpipe

Cosmetic Custom : Headlights Part 2 | Taillights | Plasti dip | Front grill

1995 Volvo 850 Turbo - White w/ Peg Reps - Beige

Well, praised threads also get more replies and views.
      Replies: 610
      Views: 74,834
      Goes both ways.

I never do...but now that you brought it up...thanks.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast