Modified active suspension shock absorbers
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thumbs up Modified active suspension shock absorbers

Hello folks,
      It's been a while since my last post

I've been thinking about new shock absorbers, and lowering springs but I could not resist the idea of shorting the suspension rods and filling them with different oil.

So, plan is to see how will 10mm shorter rods, 20% ticker oil, and eibach lowering springs work out.
      The work on shocks is being done in Italy in a shop which is specialized for suspension modifications.

I'll let you know how it worked out once when I get my engine installed
      SR, MT, TiGray Gobi; slow project...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Sounds like an expensive endeavor. Worthwhile, I'm sure, but expensive. That being said, I bet the results will be quite good.
      Service technician - Scandinavian Imports - Rockville, MD - Check us out on facebook
      Stable: '07 M66 SR saphkap - Pride and joy '96 M56 855 Platinum - Daily driver/rolling project car '09 S40 R design - Hers.

nice idea! curious, any idea what this will cost?

also, have you considered that there might be bore wear on the solenoids? or do we think that failure of the mechanical components will be the real concern?

have you worried that the SUM controls will be all off since its expecting a different reaction time from the fluid?

not sure if these are valid, but wanted to throw them out for consideration?
      2006 S60R GT- Black/Gobi @90k miles / K&N intake / IPD HD TCV / Iridium plugs (.028) / 55w HID main and fog @6000k / GSX 3" DP / IPD Stage 2 / Strut Tower Brace / IPD F&R Track-Sways / Solid Subframe Bushings

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I'm interested in your results.
      I blew out 2 sets of new R front struts with Eibach springs.
      My theory is that the strut was bottoming out...a modified strut would allow for reduced travel...
      Volvoracer
      *Designer of the SNABB M66 Short Shifter*
      '05 VR Red/Atacama/M66 (1 of 4 in US), many mods, 167k, Brembo, 6-speed
      '05 Ducati 800SuperSport Yellow, Brembo, 6-speed
      '67 1800S S.C.C.A. racecar under restoration

Reminds me of getting dirt bike shocks re-valved
      2004 S60R, black sapphire, nordikap, M66, Autotech Stage2, K&N, 3" DP, EST catback w/ EST res delete, viva HD CBV,viva FMIC, TWM short shift, snabb intake pipe, TME springs, IPD track spec sways.

Volvoracer, that is exactly why I am going for this mod. I do not want my shocks to self destruct when they compress two much.
      The cost to doo all 4 of them is 700€ and I will spend that money for SS-R forum research prompt replay will follow as soon as I get my engine installed.*

So far, it seems like our struts are just lake any other struts. There is a proportional bypass valve on the bottom of the strut and that valve is normally open. Allowing fluids to pass trough the valve and reducing the damping of the strut. As you (SUM) apply PWM current to the solenoid you are actually closing the bypass line, thus allowing strut's internal valves to take over damping control.

I reckon there will be no issues with this mod. 10mm shorter rods and 20% ticker oil in combination with stronger springs should prevent the strut from bottoming. *Sum only controls things which haven't really changed, so far.

This is seriously awesome.
      2004 V70R Auto, Black sapphire- gobi l Snabb FMIC & downpipe l IPD 3" cat back exhaust l Evolve CAI l IPD sway bars l Viva rear lower chassis brace l 5/20/35 Tint l IPD grill l Pioneer 4400 HU l JL Audio W3 12" l JL Audio JX5001 digital monoblock amp l Anthracite powdercoated 18" pegs l Morimoto mini D2S bi-xenon projector retrofit
      2001 BMW E38 M7 build with fresh built E39 M5 S62 V8 and ESS supercharger/6 speed/M5 diff

Re: Modified active suspension shock absorbers

Any companies in the us that can rebuild our sstruts?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
      Gone: 2004 s60r FG/Atacama
      2004.5 S40 2.4
      2000 Pontiac Trans Am (The Beast)
      2003 Chevrolet Suburban
      2004 Saturn Ion Redline (gas sipper)

If this mod works out, I'd do up a set of 4 new struts and run the Eibachs again.
      My VR handled and rode way better with the Higher spring rate Eibachs...
      Volvoracer

Sounds awesome. Really interested in results and as o2k already said, I'd be interested in finding out if anyone closer to home would be willing to attempt this.
      '05 S60R 6M.
      Classic Mini Cooper Works 1275cc RHD

Quote Originally Posted by Zeljko_M View Post
      Volvoracer, that is exactly why I am going for this mod. I do not want my shocks to self destruct when they compress two much.
      The cost to doo all 4 of them is 700€ and I will spend that money for SS-R forum research prompt replay will follow as soon as I get my engine installed.*

So far, it seems like our struts are just lake any other struts. There is a proportional bypass valve on the bottom of the strut and that valve is normally open. Allowing fluids to pass trough the valve and reducing the damping of the strut. As you (SUM) apply PWM current to the solenoid you are actually closing the bypass line, thus allowing strut's internal valves to take over damping control.

I reckon there will be no issues with this mod. 10mm shorter rods and 20% ticker oil in combination with stronger springs should prevent the strut from bottoming. *Sum only controls things which haven't really changed, so far.
      Those clever engineers... That's a pretty brilliantly simple way to achieve the variable dampening.
      2005 Silver/Nordkap S60 R 6-Speed

Quote Originally Posted by volvoracer View Post
      I'm interested in your results.
      I blew out 2 sets of new R front struts with Eibach springs.
      My theory is that the strut was bottoming out...a modified strut would allow for reduced travel...
      That's odd, I ran eibach pro springs fron 33k to 120k never a problem.
      Faulty sum programs..?
      No more R got a 1995 240sx converted to a Silvia in replacement... Can't say I miss the Volvo
      P.s no more am i Volvo tech... I now am a shop Forman at a high performance shop.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
      Yeah right, he's all happy you called...then a yellow birdie flys by and oh here's a cupcake, btw what were we talking about...

Quote Originally Posted by VolvokidS60R View Post
      Faulty sum programs..?

omg look who it is!
      2004.5 S40 2.4
      2003 Chevrolet Suburban

Grassroots motorsports had an article recently where they changed the oil in an mr2's shocks to a much higher viscosity and achieved a much higher damping rate for a total cost of less then $30, but they also stated it was really easy to do on the mr2 bc it had a screw off nut to drain the oil etc and one seal to change. So they said with other cars getting acess to the oil etc might not be cost effective bc you might run into other issues but they made a nice mod for low bucks. We def need a cheaper alternative to the four c. I dont see how the cost of production for those shocks can be so high. Prob more of a demand versus supply thing affecting the cost.
      IPD DP and Evolve Sport Exhaust, Snow Performance Methanol Progressive Kit,Unorthodox Racing Crank Pulley,SNABB Big Front Mount Kit, Eibach Springs,Elevate Rear Sway-Neutrall Setup,10 mm Spacers front & 15 mm Spacers rear, Sleeved block/forged pistons,Steve-O Tune w/snabb S4 intake kit, Hybrid Turbo, delrin bushings

Quote Originally Posted by NYR View Post
      Grassroots motorsports had an article recently where they changed the oil in an mr2's shocks to a much higher viscosity and achieved a much higher damping rate for a total cost of less then $30, but they also stated it was really easy to do on the mr2 bc it had a screw off nut to drain the oil etc and one seal to change. So they said with other cars getting acess to the oil etc might not be cost effective bc you might run into other issues but they made a nice mod for low bucks. We def need a cheaper alternative to the four c. I dont see how the cost of production for those shocks can be so high. Prob more of a demand versus supply thing affecting the cost.
      I think you might be right that its a demand vs supply.. The shocks don't seem overly complicated and hopefully the rebuild doesn't cost too much.. But if anyone knows any companies that can do it that would help.. Ill try to google some.. but so far i've found a few that do it on bikes only..
      2004.5 S40 2.4
      2003 Chevrolet Suburban

Glad you guys like the idea!

I am excited about having the rod a little shorter cause it would defenatley minimize compression damage.
      Unfortunately, for such mod you need to cut open your shocks.

I think there might be hope for damaged ones, as the valves seem to be standard ones, and replacement is not hard to get. In other words, as long as solenoid and proportional valve are good I would say there is hope for strut mod.

This is very interesting indeed. Maybe it's possible to take this mod a step further and get rid of the stock spring seats and fit threaded collars to get even lower stance. In that manner get more track day related suspension setup and at the same time keep a bit of comfort with the four-c. Just a thought.
      04 VR MT, atacama, cosmic blue, painted trim, headlight viper delete, Sachs racing BMW M5 "765" pressure plate, modified 850 SM flywheel, sprung 06 disc, BSR cat back, Resonator delete, Ferrita 3" DP, 12x24x3" IC, ARD TCV, K&N, Eibach, Poly front bushes, IPD camber bushings, Viva strut bar consoles, 19" replicas.
      My 2004 V70R

GMV you are right! That would give us more options on spring choice, as these are all standard size...

I can ask the shop to see how much would they charge to convert new set of struts in to 4C coil overs.
      The options might be the oil thickness and how much should they short the strut. In other words, how low would one want to run his car.
      I went 10mm cause I might still want to go back to OEM springs.

Why not just cut the top, remove the guts, and do an insert style shock into the strut body. Voila, 4c still hooked up not doing anything but who cares.

My old VW had inserts like that into the strut body.

Maybe go with koni yellows. Or whatever.
      2005 s60R Ti grey, Atacama. 6MT, stock.

Very awesome! Understanding how these work with the solenoid controlling the BYPASS instead of the main channel (which I had assumed) clears up a lot of problems.

So basically these shocks are super stiff without the bypass - but this allows them to become comparatively soft!

Means less wear on the main components too...
      2006 S60R GT- Black/Gobi @90k miles / K&N intake / IPD HD TCV / Iridium plugs (.028) / 55w HID main and fog @6000k / GSX 3" DP / IPD Stage 2 / Strut Tower Brace / IPD F&R Track-Sways / Solid Subframe Bushings

updates?
      2004.5 S40 2.4
      2003 Chevrolet Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by VolvokidS60R View Post
      Faulty sum programs..?
      One set was due to lack of SUM recalibration.
      Next set just plumb gave up after 50k w/ stock springs and several SUM recals...

I'm very interested in a set of fronts modified to the proper. shorter stroke length for a drop spring.

My theory is the stock struts destroy themselves when they bottom out internally from a drop spring...
      Last edited by volvoracer; 05-14-2013 at 10:47 AM. Reason: clarity
      Volvoracer

Any news?
      04 VR MT, atacama, cosmic blue, painted trim, headlight viper delete, Sachs racing BMW M5 "765" pressure plate, modified 850 SM flywheel, sprung 06 disc, BSR cat back, Resonator delete, Ferrita 3" DP, 12x24x3" IC, ARD TCV, K&N, Eibach, Poly front bushes, IPD camber bushings, Viva strut bar consoles, 19" replicas.
      My 2004 V70R

Hi,
      I stil haven't tested these and I don't feel like giving recommendation to do the same mod if I haven't tested it my self. As soon as I get her on road I'll start writing my review and comments on the mod. I hope I will be able to put it down to paper, considering all the modifications and quite dramatical change from all stock with poly & rear sway to adding front sway, springs and dampeners modification. Uh, I can't wait to get a chance to drive her.

There were couple issues which slowed the build down. Good news is that we are slowly getting things together and I might have that project on road till end of the summer time.
      Oh, another thing, I've got married 2 months back. I had to leave all project related work during that period. Got me in to thinking of what kind of family car should I.... Could 600hp caR be able to handle young family and a kid? What is your opinion?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Zeljko_M View Post
      .... Could 600hp caR be able to handle young family and a kid? What is your opinion?
      Should be fine...
      Missing my 2007 V70R GT, Black Sapphire, Nordkap, Nav, Sub Woofer & Bluetooth, Track Spec Sways, EBD & Resonator Delete, Four-C-Mod, Machined Pegs
      2007 V70R From 2010 to 2020 (SOLD)
      2019 V60 T6 AWD Purchased new in 2020

I just ordered Kalphenke Racing Top Mounts & Luxe steering kit; I will be install in July with new 4C front struts and Eibach springs.
      Watch this space...
      Volvoracer

Quote Originally Posted by volvoracer View Post
      I just ordered Kalphenke Racing Top Mounts & Luxe steering kit; I will be install in July with new 4C front struts and Eibach springs.
      Watch this space...
      Any update on this? Really interested in the Kaplhenke Racing Kit.
      2004 S60R Silver/Nordkap 176k
      1991 Mustang GT White on Gray 168k

Any news on this modded 4C shocks. If it works it would be a nice alternative for a lowered R instead of stock shocks.
      My 2004 V70R

Well, nothing much has happened since the last post.
      I'm waiting on ecu with modified code for my setup. Kind of stuck in mud till that is finished.

But I'll let you folks know when she is back on road.

32. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements