JD Power Survey
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: JD Power Survey

JD Power Survey

I just filled out a JD Power survey on my new s60. I don't know what percentage of buyers receive these surveys, but since they are so prominent in advertising I didn't just trash it like I do with most surveys. I did find some things interesting.

The questions, I believe, reveal what the manufacturer thinks is important to buyers. There was a series of questions comparing photos from every angle of an Acura (probably a TSX), a BMW (looked like a 5 series), and something that looked like a cross between a C30 and a 4 door Golf. They asked specific questions about the headlights, taillights, and grill openings.

Before this experience I figured that this JD Power stuff was fairly generic, asking the same questions for all cars/buyers, but there were several parts of this that make me think it was customized, like the styling comparison to Acura and BMW (and whatever that other thing was). Who tweaked the questions, Volvo? Maybe other buyers get to compare styling of another selection of cars.

They asked about which other cars you considered and which other cars you own/replaced. In my case they might be disappointed to find that the most serious competitor was a Ford Fusion, but it turned out to be more expensive than the s60. And it was a Ford.

There were plenty of questions about the seats (keep up the good work there!), the instruments, controls, and of course Sensus stuff. Even how the interior smelled and how the doors sound when closed. Kind of cliche but I guess no one wants a smelly car that has fragile sounding doors.

They asked about virtually everything, it took me two half hour sessions to work through it, and there were few opportunities to add comments which were outside the available answers/categories. There were questions where you are supposed to choose up to 3 interior/exterior features from a list that you like and 3 that you don't like. I had trouble finding things I didn't like.

The survey did make me think about things I hadn't even considered. How do I feel about the size of the trunk opening? How long does it take to reach the desired interior temperature after I begin driving? How well do the windshield wipers and washers work? How often do I drive just for pleasure (daily, once a week, once a month?)? Not often enough, I think.

There was ONE question about the engine/transmission availability as a deciding factor in the buying decision, so if anyone thinks that manufacturers are still on the fence about offering MTs in this class it seems to me that they have already made up their minds. I think they were more interested in gauging hybrid acceptance, or focusing on trouble spots because there were several questions about fuel economy and "smooth shifting."

A lot of the questions asked for a 1-10 ranking of some feature, but it was sort of skewed toward the higher end because "average" was 4, "outstanding" was 7, and "really outstanding" (or something like that) was 10. I'd have to think that something was pretty pathetic before giving it anything below a 4. Rain sensing wipers? No, they're better on this car...at least they seem to be trying.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share in case anyone was curious about these surveys. I've purchased a few new cars and this is the first one I've had a chance to participate in.
      2007 C70 T5 Magic Blue
      Previous:
      2016 S60I, 2013 S60, 2003 XC70, 2002 V70, 1998 S70

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thank you for sharing because your comments are interesting to me. I have never received one of their survey's, but the industry seem to put a lot of stock in them.
      "All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke
      2007 S60R Magic Blue Metallic/Gobi MT 70,000+ miles (IPD intercooler, Hawk ceramics)
      2013 XC60 T6 Savile Grey Metallic/Black (wife's)
      2010 Ford Ranger
      http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/reward2/library/

I got one of these JD Power survey's when I bought my '12 S60RD last January.
      2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design - Passion Red/Off Black [HIS] - Platinum/Tech/Climate/19" IxionII, Polestar Winglets, IPD Catback Exhaust, IPD Rear Sway Bar, 15mm Spacers and KN Filter.
      2019 XC60 T6 AWD Inscription - Crystal White/Charcoal [HERS] - Nappa Leather w/Massage/Advanced/Heated Steering & Rear Seats/Sport Steering Wheel & Charcoal Headliner/20" Wheels
      ​Past: 1994 940Turbo/2004 S40LSE/2007 S60R/2010 Mazda 3/2012 S60RD/2013 S60T5AWD/2016 XC60T6AWD

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I had received one too, very shortly after purchase. Of coarse at that time you're still pretty psyched about your new purchase and will probably be leaning a bit toward the positive. They really should give out these surveys a year or two after ownership. Don't get me wrong, I still love this car, but I would have no problem filling out the things I don't like category with the rain sensing wipers at the top of that list.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

I just received another one - I think it was IHS Global Insight or something like that.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

I also received my questionnaire a few weeks after purchasing my car. I waited a little over 3 months to fill mine out bc I wanted to give a more accurate assessment, which I don't think you can do after owning the car for a few weeks. In reality they should wait a few months to send it out.

Quote Originally Posted by ecoDrive View Post
      I would have no problem filling out the things I don't like category with the rain sensing wipers at the top of that list.
      Agreed. I don't mind City Safety looking over my shoulder all the time, but a man has to retain control of the really important things. When the wiper sweeps the windshield is one of those things. The other "feature" I could do without is the automatic dimming rear view mirror, but you can't hardly buy a car without it now.
      2007 C70 T5 Magic Blue
      Previous:

Quote Originally Posted by Steele Faucet View Post
      I also received my questionnaire a few weeks after purchasing my car. I waited a little over 3 months to fill mine out bc I wanted to give a more accurate assessment, which I don't think you can do after owning the car for a few weeks. In reality they should wait a few months to send it out.
      I think they are more interested in why you bought the car than in how you like it after the purchase, since you're pretty much stuck with it for a couple years minimum. At least that's the feeling I got from what they were asking about.
      Last edited by Northeast; 04-08-2013 at 09:13 AM.
      2007 C70 T5 Magic Blue
      Previous:

Quote Originally Posted by Northeast View Post
      Agreed. I don't mind City Safety looking over my shoulder all the time, but a man has to retain control of the really important things. When the wiper sweeps the windshield is one of those things. The other "feature" I could do without is the automatic dimming rear view mirror, but you can't hardly buy a car without it now.
      Wow... I''m the total opposite and would much prefer the sensor doing the job since I'd prefer to pay attention to the road if it is raining. Auto diming the same thing...

I've received the surveys in the past... for the last two XC's - I hope Volvo actually uses the comments and gets some overdue recognition for the things that the engineers get "really" right. In reality, people are becoming preprogrammed to complain and focus on what's wrong rather than the vast majority of what's good about the situation/circumstance/product/etc. To bad they can't do that same critical thinking about themselves... (Disclaimer: not implying anything directly or overtly about Swedespeed or this thread)
      Last edited by Ventura CA; 04-08-2013 at 01:18 PM.
      2020 XC60 | T8 | OSD
      2018 V90CC | OSD
      2013 XC60 | R Design
      2012 C70 | Platinum P* Volvo Front & Elevate Rear Bars

Past: 2016 XC90 T8 | 2012 XC70, OSD | 2012 S60 | 2009 XC70 | 2008 C70, OSD| 2006 S60R | 2003 XC70, OSD | 2000 S40

Quote Originally Posted by Northeast View Post
      The other "feature" I could do without is the automatic dimming rear view mirror, but you can't hardly buy a car without it now.

I agree completely, but to be fair the auto dimming mirror on my S60 works very well. On my previous car it was terrible. It just never dimmed when it should. Fortunately, on that car, there was a disable button. So I placed a piece of black electrical tape over the front facing sensor (so that it would think it was always dark outside). This caused the mirror to dim all the time. Then I used the disable button as a manual control

I don't understand why these mirror manufactures don't include a manual override. A simple On/Off/Auto would solve any issues.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

Quote Originally Posted by ecoDrive View Post
      I don't understand why these mirror manufactures don't include a manual override. A simple On/Off/Auto would solve any issues.
      ...and why can't the wing mirrors auto-dim? That I would welcome since it's more difficult to block or adjust when a truck or SUV with high mounted headlights decides to just sit off my rear quarter on the interstate.
      2007 C70 T5 Magic Blue
      Previous:

Quote Originally Posted by Ventura CA View Post
      Wow... I''m the total opposite and would much prefer the sensor doing the job
      Our first Volvo, my wife's '98 s70, had "intermittent" wipers that could not be adjusted. She asked me why and I told her that the Swedish government had determined that 7 seconds was the optimum interval for intermittent wiping so that was the only setting allowed. We still chuckle about that when the rain sensing wipers in her XC70 freak out.
      2007 C70 T5 Magic Blue
      Previous:

@Northeast: It looks like the next S60 will have dimming exterior mirrors.
      2012 S60 T5 Vibrant Copper/Beechwood, Premium, heated seats, front/rear park assist. Via OSD (April 2012). All-Weather Mats and Mud Guards added at delivery, LED License plate lights once at home.

3,000 miles in 6 countries over 21 days during OSD.

I didn't get one of these surveys... I would've had nice things to say. But my purchase was OSD, not "normal".

Was this a paper or online survey?
      2012 S60 T5 Vibrant Copper/Beechwood, Premium, heated seats, front/rear park assist. Via OSD (April 2012). All-Weather Mats and Mud Guards added at delivery, LED License plate lights once at home.

3,000 miles in 6 countries over 21 days during OSD.

Quote Originally Posted by dhorvath View Post
      Was this a paper or online survey?
      Online.
      2007 C70 T5 Magic Blue
      Previous:

Quote Originally Posted by dhorvath View Post
      @Northeast: It looks like the next S60 will have dimming exterior mirrors.
      Damn! I just thought of it and could have made my fortune selling upgrade kits. Should have kept my big mouth shut
      2007 C70 T5 Magic Blue
      Previous:

19. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements