S80 V8 AC noise - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: S80 V8 AC noise

Quote Originally Posted by Synesis View Post
      Mine's doing something similar.

Only makes the noise after its been run and warmed up, then shut off for a few minutes (as when going in the store). Upon restart the whirring or growling noise is pretty loud (loud enough that passengers ask what it is). Sometimes the noise progresses from a growl to a metallic scraping noise. Turning off the AC by turning the fan all the way off makes it stop, but when turned back on the noise is either gone, or much quieter. A/C blows cold, works fine otherwise. In all cases the noise sounds like it coming from the area in back of the gauge panel. The colder the ambient outside temperature is, the less likely it is to do this; conversely, the warmer it is the more likely to do it.

Theories on this after discussing with other car guys:

Compressor: Blows cold and works fine otherwise, but why would it only have issues as described above.

Thermal Expansion Valve. There is a Bulletin on this, but information is sketchy as to what the symptoms are, and its also for a different year than my 2007. Not sure why an expansion valve would only be faulty under the conditions described above.

Serpentine Belt Idler Pulley. Possible, but again, can't explain why it would only be during conditions above.

I have the exact same behavier with my S80 V8 from '09 here in Germany. It makes this noise from the A/C since 70.000km/45.000miles respectivily 5 years. The A/C works fines. The noise goes away after 30 to 60sec. It just appears after driving around, park the car for a few minutes or 1/2 houre and then starts the car again.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Mine does the same thing. A couple services ago my dealership replaced the compressor under warranty without me asking. Their replacement also does the same thing 2-3 years later. Air still blows cold and I hope it continues to do so. Out of warranty now so won't do anything about it.

Mine also does something similar. When ambient temps are in the 40s thru low 60s I will hear a whirring sound when the AC is on. At high ambient temps no whirring sound at all. AC works fine and cools the car down. I did notice that when I added refrigerant a couple of years ago the whirring sound was gone for several months even at low ambient temps.
      CURRENT:
      2017 XC60 T6 R Design
      2017 XC90 T6 Insciption, OSD
      2007 S80 V8,
      1972 280se 4.5 (under going restoration)

SOLD:
      2004 XC90 T6,

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I also experienced the whining AC noise. Same symptoms related to low fan speed and RPMs, and more prominent in cold weather. I added AC refrigerant myself and the noise went away temporarily. It is time to do it again. I suspect it is related to poor lubrication of the compressor or blower motor. AC refrigerant adds some new lubricant, but probably not enough for a permanent solution.

Several owners have attributed their whining sound to a bad blower motor or bad AC compressor. All accounts identify the origin of the problem based on location of the sound. In some cases, replacing the blower motor or compressor made the whining noise disappear. However, there are also accounts saying a new compressor made no difference. Either way, it is a very expensive repair. I suggest poor lubrication may be the actual problem behind the noise in either location. Poor lubrication over an extended period can cause damage requiring replacement of these parts. But since relubrication has never been tried by itself, no one truly knows.

I think posts here about poor or dried out lubricants are on the right track. There are a few AC lubricants sold that can be added just like refrigerant. Does anyone know the specific PAG rating for the oil used in Volvos? Also, anyone know whether the low or high pressure valve should be used? This could be an effective and cheap solution to a common problem.

FYI:
      This is volvosweden’s recording of the noise in 2016. https://youtu.be/nORpUAZIbfE
      And his replacement of the blower motor in 2017. https://youtu.be/z-9SKu49LBE
      Last edited by blindkarma; 02-14-2020 at 02:13 PM.
      2008 S80 3.2, Sport and Climate packages, Barents Blue.
      2014 XC60 T6 AWD Premier Plus with Polestar, Rich Java.

According to A/C Pro and Behr/Hella websites, the P3 S80 air conditioning oil requires PAG 46 (low viscosity). This is for 2007 models or newer. (I suggest confirming for one's own engine variant because earlier S80s used PAG 100 or 46 depending on the compressor manufacturer.) I also learned the compressor uses a small amount of oil, less than 5 oz. overall including what circulates in the lines.

I ordered AC/Pro Oil Charge PAG 46 in a 3 oz. can. It uses the same delivery method as the AC/Pro refrigerant, meaning it fills on the low pressure side. I also ordered a package of Pitt-Stop R134a AC Oil Check Analyzers. These consist of a clear plastic device with cotton inside to collect a sample of the AC oil. It also gives a rough idea of the volume of oil in the system. I'll test the volume of oil first, then add the PAG 46 oil and check if the whining noise is eliminated. Then I'll fill AC refrigerant to the proper pressure and do another check of the oil volume in the system. This is just DYI without special tools, but I hope to report back with some findings.
      Last edited by blindkarma; 02-14-2020 at 04:09 PM.
      2008 S80 3.2, Sport and Climate packages, Barents Blue.
      2014 XC60 T6 AWD Premier Plus with Polestar, Rich Java.

That`s cool you can get a rough idea of oil in the system with the AC oil check analyzers. I evacuated and filled the AC system in an old Mazda pickup and I was amazed just how little oil there is in AC systems only 3 oz in that one. A failing blower motor can make a sound that sounds like it`s coming from the engine compartment especially at low speeds. Listening under the hood should make it obvious if it`s the compressor. You can put a long screwdriver on the compressor ( metal end ) put your ear on the handle and you will hear it clearly.
      Last edited by Thommykent; 02-14-2020 at 10:14 PM.

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3