S80 V8 AC noise - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: S80 V8 AC noise

Mine is still making this same noise, though it seems to do it less the hotter the weather is... also it still works just fine, it blows very very cold air when needed. I'm past CPO so probably just going to leave it be unless something gets worse.
      2002 S60 T5 5M (SOLD) - ECU, intake, exhaust || 2006 S60R 6M Sonic Blue (Saved My Life), 2:03.5 at BIR long course, 2:00 at BIR short course, My HD Trackday Videos, Loud enough for ya? || 2007 S80 V8 (SOLD), 35% tint, Sport Package (4C), Heated and Cooled Seats, IPD Rear Sway Bar || 2011 XC70 T6, 35% tint, IPD Rear Sway Bar, IPD Photo Contest Winner in 2015 and 2016, Dragon Slayer || 2015.5 XC70 T6 Polestar Tuned || 2015.5 V60 P* #46/80

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Your freon level is OK? Mine was leaking on radiator

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
      Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Denis_S80_V8 View Post
      Your freon level is OK? Mine was leaking on radiator

There are no visible leaks anywhere, but I've not had the pressure checked or whatever. I don't have the tools for that.
      2002 S60 T5 5M (SOLD) - ECU, intake, exhaust || 2006 S60R 6M Sonic Blue (Saved My Life), 2:03.5 at BIR long course, 2:00 at BIR short course, My HD Trackday Videos, Loud enough for ya? || 2007 S80 V8 (SOLD), 35% tint, Sport Package (4C), Heated and Cooled Seats, IPD Rear Sway Bar || 2011 XC70 T6, 35% tint, IPD Rear Sway Bar, IPD Photo Contest Winner in 2015 and 2016, Dragon Slayer || 2015.5 XC70 T6 Polestar Tuned || 2015.5 V60 P* #46/80

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Mine service guys put colored gas and then checked with UV lamp

Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Synesis View Post
      I took tallaploomi's advice and had my tech check the freon level. It was only marginally low but he filled it to the recommended level anyway. I have not had the issue since.
      Thanks!
      Another curious thing about my symptoms was that this only occurred in cooler parts of season. Over summer it went away but returned as soon as temps started getting cooler. Maybe this might help others troubleshoot this issue as opposed to other A/C issues.
      The growling has now returned. Grrr. I guess my next approach will be to have it checked for leaks and/or change the expansion valve. A/C works fine, but I am wondering if its an harbinger of things to come...
      2004 XC90 2.5T AWD Ice White 2007 S80 V8 Electric Silver 2011 XC60 T6 R-Design Ice White 2012 S60 T6 R-Design Saville Gray

S60 Sojourn - S60 R-Design Information, Reference, and Build Thread

I took tallaploomi's advice and had my tech check the freon level. It was only marginally low but he filled it to the recommended level anyway. I have not had the issue since.
      Thanks!
      Another curious thing about my symptoms was that this only occurred in cooler parts of season. Over summer it went away but returned as soon as temps started getting cooler. Maybe this might help others troubleshoot this issue as opposed to other A/C issues.
      Noise is back now that warmer weather is here. grrrr. I guess the next step will be to have system checked for leaks and/or replace expansion valve. A/C works fine; but I worry its an harbinger of things to come...
      2004 XC90 2.5T AWD Ice White 2007 S80 V8 Electric Silver 2011 XC60 T6 R-Design Ice White 2012 S60 T6 R-Design Saville Gray

S60 Sojourn - S60 R-Design Information, Reference, and Build Thread

Fixed AC Noise with Flush and Expansion Valve Adjustment

Noise is back now that warmer weather is here. grrrr. I guess the next step will be to have system checked for leaks and/or replace expansion valve. A/C works fine; but I worry its an harbinger of things to come...
      Hello,

This is my first post, but I figured it was time since I finally fixed my AC noise on my '07 S80 V8 and could maybe help others.

I first started with a low pressure refill which would only temporarily make the sound go away. I initially though I was just not able to get enough pressure into the system since I was filling from the low side valve. After finally giving up I went to the dealer described my problem and my steps to fix it. After a quick check they noted that the expansion valve needed to be adjusted but the system had sufficient refrigerant in it. I had the dealer flush the system along with the expansion valve adjustment (car has 73k miles, figured it could use fresh oil). AC is now completely silent in all situations after roughly 1k miles. This shows that you are able to fill from the low side without issue and if simply filling does not fix the issue you will need expansion valve adjustments.

Interestingly the dealer provided a complimentary loaner during the service and I noticed that even though it only had 11k on it, it made a similar noise, not nearly as loud or variable. It leads me to believe that this is a common problem which may need attention in the future but seems it can be fixed with adjustment instead of replacement.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by bdchap1 View Post
      Hello,

This is my first post, but I figured it was time since I finally fixed my AC noise on my '07 S80 V8 and could maybe help others.

I first started with a low pressure refill which would only temporarily make the sound go away. I initially though I was just not able to get enough pressure into the system since I was filling from the low side valve. After finally giving up I went to the dealer described my problem and my steps to fix it. After a quick check they noted that the expansion valve needed to be adjusted but the system had sufficient refrigerant in it. I had the dealer flush the system along with the expansion valve adjustment (car has 73k miles, figured it could use fresh oil). AC is now completely silent in all situations after roughly 1k miles. This shows that you are able to fill from the low side without issue and if simply filling does not fix the issue you will need expansion valve adjustments.

Interestingly the dealer provided a complimentary loaner during the service and I noticed that even though it only had 11k on it, it made a similar noise, not nearly as loud or variable. It leads me to believe that this is a common problem which may need attention in the future but seems it can be fixed with adjustment instead of replacement.

Good Luck
      Thanks for sharing. Mine doesn't make the noise often enough for the dealer to find it (I'm guessing). I suppose I could just ask them to do a flush and expansion valve adjustment though - what did this cost you to do at your dealer? Are you in the US market?

I think the noise problem is common among S80s. I used to have the same problem until the fluid was refilled. Now I have another problem which is a bad smell coming out of the a/c. It only appears when I stop the car for a short time then start it again. any idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
      I think the noise problem is common among S80s. I used to have the same problem until the fluid was refilled. Now I have another problem which is a bad smell coming out of the a/c. It only appears when I stop the car for a short time then start it again. any idea?
      Does it also happen if you just turn off the AC while driving?

Quote Originally Posted by Warpedcow View Post
      Does it also happen if you just turn off the AC while driving?
      no, only when it is turned on and the car is warm.

Bdchap 1, younmean AC gas exchanged? Or what oil do you reffer to?

Using Tapatalk

2007 s80, 2011 xc60, 2015 xc 60: all have the groan when a/c fan is on, not related to fan speed but engine rpms. especially noisy on the 2007 and 2011 and already getting worse on the 2015. what? not tech advisory???

Quote Originally Posted by weburts View Post
      2007 s80, 2011 xc60, 2015 xc 60: all have the groan when a/c fan is on, not related to fan speed but engine rpms. especially noisy on the 2007 and 2011 and already getting worse on the 2015. what? not tech advisory???
      If it's reproducible under warranty, let the dealer figure it out.

Bump.

Haven't been on here in a while, but I've developed some of the classic A/C problems discussed here and on other threads. Hopefully some of you have resolved and/or have some suggestions. So, about a week ago during a really hot spell, I noticed the electric cooling fan running full speed with A/C on. I would expect this when the engine is at running temp, A/C on MAX, and in say idling situations in traffic, but it should only be brief moments during those conditions. Now the cooling fan runs full speed even at first start up with engine cold, A/C on low with hardly any cooling load in cabin. As soon as I turn the A/C off the cooling fan will stop running. Also, yesterday for the first time I experienced tepid air temps with A/C on full for about a 10 minute drive then it finally started blowing colder air. Last condition is that I've noticed the grumbling sound coming the compressor when it's running. So, my initial thoughts are that the refrigerant may have dropped enough to call the cooling fan to compensate and other two symptoms obviously a result of.

Warpedcow, did you ever get yours resolved? Thanks in advance for all responses.
      Last edited by Elfnmagik; 07-08-2015 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Elfnmagik View Post
      Bump.

Haven't been on here in a while, but I've developed some of the classic A/C problems discussed here and on other threads. Hopefully some of you have resolved and/or have some suggestions. So, about a week ago during a really hot spell, I noticed the electric cooling fan running full speed with A/C on. I would expect this when the engine is at running temp, A/C on MAX, and in say idling situations in traffic, but it should only be brief moments during those conditions. Now the cooling fan runs full speed even at first start up with engine cold, A/C on low with hardly any cooling load in cabin. As soon as I turn the A/C off the cooling fan will stop running. Also, yesterday for the first time I experienced tepid air temps with A/C on full for about a 10 minute drive then it finally started blowing colder air. Last condition is that I've noticed the grumbling sound coming the compressor when it's running. So, my initial thoughts are that the refrigerant may have dropped enough to call the cooling fan to compensate and other two symptoms obviously a result of.

Warpedcow, did you ever get yours resolved? Thanks in advance for all responses.
      I've not done anything to mine. This time of year the noise almost never happens. It always blows cool air perfectly well, plus it's out of warranty now.

If you set your fan to max and temp to minimum with AC on, do you get really cold air? You should get 40F or below air out the vents (test with a thermometer).

I also have a 2007 S80 V8 that's making a grinding/growling noise. I've been expecting it to fail when-ever, given how many compressors failed on early P3's, but now that I've read your experiences with topping off the system I think that might be a good starter. Should I ask for them to replace the expansion valve? Or is that something I should try having replaced later in case refilling the system doesn't work? I'm not sure what it is or what it does.

The noise has been getting somewhat louder or at least I imagine it has so I guess it's possible for it to be a leak somewhere...

The expansion valve controls the refrigerant flow to the evaporator coil to control coil temperature and therefor discharge air temperature. The system may be low on refrigerant, or the expansion valve may need adjustment or replacement, or the compressor may be failing (hopefully not). I recommend the Volvo dealer review and advise. It is their job to properly determine the fault. My AC system made noise at ~ 63000 miles. Volvo replaced the expansion valve and recharged. Please advise your findings and cost.

Took mine in to the dealer to have the A/C diagnosed, the brake booster vacuum pump leak fixed, and the upper torque rod replaced. The Service Advisor called me a day later and said everything has been fixed except the A/C because they are replacing the compressor and they had to order it.

Update on my AC: mechanics checked out the noise, test drove it and what not and their conclusion is that there's some sort of AC related tubing/pipes (wasn't further specified and I forgot to ask) that's apparently making the noise. For non-V8's there was a sound proofed version of the pipe rolled out but as the V8 was killed off relatively early it apparently never got an updated one.

So on the upside my compressor's not failing but on the downside I'll have to live with the noise which is kind of annoying when it gets at its loudest...

I found this on VIDA

871: Programming the evaporator, climate control module (CCM)
      Print

Programming the evaporator, climate control module (CCM)
      Programming
      Note! This adjustment must only be carried out on the vehicle if the owner requests it.
      The noise from the compressor can be reduced by reducing the level in the evaporator.

In order for this change to be possible on model years up to and including 2008, the latest software must be downloaded to the Climate control module (CCM).

Note! This programming is only possible on vehicles with more than 4 cylinders.
      Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how far you take that wall with you

Does it say what the programming is for, or what the software changes do? I'm kind of struggling to see how a hardware flaw is to be resolved through software changes.

Found it under fault tracing. Doesn't say what it's for

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how far you take that wall with you

Hey guys!
      Being a proud owner of a 2008 S80 V8 for almost 3 months. The shop which sold it said the Ac is noisy. Well as the V8 experience was so cool i never turned my attention on it. After some time the whining/grinding noise made me nuts. So maybe 3 weeks ago i thought maybe its running low on gas as the ac works fine. The mechanic said the system was indeed running on low pressure....so as far i know he cleaned the system and refilled it. Well it still was making that sound but not hat badly...and on slow city driving it was almost "fixed". The little noise it made wasnt an issue anymore...but as the weeks went by it got louder...so i was thinking..1) The mechanic but too little gas in it 2)He but too little gas in it and the system is leaking(it was running really low when i got to check it out) 3) U were talking about an expansion valve adjustment or replacement

So if its not that much of a trouble u could give me mandatory instructions what to follow on refilling/checking/cleaning etc the AC system. If i got it right u even have to re-program the system?

Cheers,
      Markku

Why wouldn't you fill this yourself so you know for sure. It's around 30 bucks for the diy bottle. It's so easy, a cave man can do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumbs up AC Noise

Hi guys! I just signed up to say that I very appreciate for your conversation, it's really save a lot money from my pocket! I was going to replace AC compressor with new, but I found this topic! I just recharge AC with new freon and noise gone! Thanks you so much! And sorry for my english
      Last edited by NightMan; 04-07-2016 at 05:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMan View Post
      Hi guys! I just signed up to say that I very appreciate for your conversation, it's really save a lot money from my pocket! I was going to replace AC compressor with new, but I found this topic! I just recharge AC with new freon and noise gone! Thanks you so much! And sorry for my english
      Was this a DIY?

I just did the same thing. I let some old stuff out to make room for the recharge and it was dry. Once I recharged the ac, the ac noise went away. It just needed some lube.

I'm surprised to read in this thread about the electronic adjustment of the expansion valve. Pretty cool and never had heard of that before!

Our S80 is not the V8 (normal 3.2L) and high mileage and does seem to have a much louder AC groan than I would have expected. I have a VIDA (but not ability to download new SW into the proper module) so I wonder has anybody done this adjustment on their own (assuming a full/proper AC refrigerant fill) using these tools with success??
      (SOLD) 2007 S80 3.2L FWD (BD: 11/06)| Willow Green | 218K miles @ 9/2017
      Mods: IPD Alu Skid Plate | 25% tint | Qwik-Valve F104S + ADP-104 | MagnaFlow Mufflers (#11225) w/Stainless tips | GC Edge 0W-40 oil | Continental PureContact tires (225/50R17) on 17" Regor rims.

The "programming the evaporator" is a regular parameter/setting in VIDA. Can be changed if you have a DiCE along with VIDA.
      "The top-end T8's are like 'dictator opulent'. It screams 'drive me through the Kremlin in a military parade with some ICBMs on trucks'" - TheVolvo
      "Just change all 4 tires at the same time when needed and it feels always like a flying carpet"
      "Car was dusty and dirty yet he cleaned it without using any water. It scared me and I am afraid of nothing"
      "XC70 FWD is like a beer with 0% Alc. Wtf, realy wtf."
      " I am sure I will buy a mainstream car with great mileage and a plug-in instead of a but-plug 🖤"
      - CrossingCountries

Quote Originally Posted by Schmoyoho View Post
      The "programming the evaporator" is a regular parameter/setting in VIDA. Can be changed if you have a DiCE along with VIDA.
      I do have the DiCE w/VIDA (a noob with it however), I was just wondering is there some kind of auto-calibration routine this does, or what?
      (SOLD) 2007 S80 3.2L FWD (BD: 11/06)| Willow Green | 218K miles @ 9/2017
      Mods: IPD Alu Skid Plate | 25% tint | Qwik-Valve F104S + ADP-104 | MagnaFlow Mufflers (#11225) w/Stainless tips | GC Edge 0W-40 oil | Continental PureContact tires (225/50R17) on 17" Regor rims.

There's a description if you open it in VIDA, at the programming page. I think it can also be found under vehicle communication -> CCM -> advanced, if I recall correctly.

It's not a calibration though, it changes something about how the AC system works. It's probably at the trade-off of system performance though. I haven't tried it because I've forgotten about it, but I will. Report back if you beat me to it.
      "The top-end T8's are like 'dictator opulent'. It screams 'drive me through the Kremlin in a military parade with some ICBMs on trucks'" - TheVolvo
      "Just change all 4 tires at the same time when needed and it feels always like a flying carpet"
      "Car was dusty and dirty yet he cleaned it without using any water. It scared me and I am afraid of nothing"
      "XC70 FWD is like a beer with 0% Alc. Wtf, realy wtf."
      " I am sure I will buy a mainstream car with great mileage and a plug-in instead of a but-plug 🖤"
      - CrossingCountries

I bought a can of AC-Pro and added about 1/3 of it to my car. The gauge showed in the green zone but at the bottom of the "V" indicator range. I added what I did because I didn't want to overfill the system. I figure I can always add a bit more if needed in the future. No more grinding from the compressor so far! The real test will be tonight/tomorrow morning when it's cooler... That's when the compressor would bark the most. Stay tuned...

2007 S80 3.2- Oyster Gray/Anthracite, Classic Wood inlays, 17" Regors

It was 52*F this morning-- no grinding from the AC compressor. So far, so good!

Thanks again Swedespeed friends for helping me diagnose and fix an issue with a minimal cost!

2007 S80 3.2- Oyster Gray/Anthracite, Classic Wood inlays, 17" Regors

Has anyone ever tried to replace the compressor themselves? I'd love to give it a go but I'm afraid it will be beyond what I'm capable of doing.

Cheers,

Mike

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast