SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

blown head gasket or?!

5K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  3 volvos 
#1 ·
Just picked up a 95 960 with 233k miles runs and drives needs maintenance work.

Just noticed this!!

Clean towards the front

All on the passenger side by firewall on exhaust side.

Also I think the pcv system is clogged. While the car is on you pull dipstick and it smokes.
Would yall think the mess is cause by head gasket. Doesn't overheat but I noticed in the coolant theirs some sort of stop leak. Like glitter floating around. I wouldn't mind tackling a head gasket doesn't look hard lol. Also car runs and drives good engine idles smooth with no shaking.

See less See more
#4 ·
Valve cover gasket? On my '92 245 I found a leaky gasket and it looks just like your photos.

#5 · (Edited)
I figured it could be the oil cap. Good thing I had ordered one with the other goodies im replacing. With one cam of autozone degreaser held sprayed in that spot and letting it sit this is the outcome. :)

Cleaned spark plug cover

And my two babes together :)

#7 · (Edited)
If the pcv is clogged that would definitely be the first thing I'd deal with. It's not that common but I've seen a clogged pcv cause excessive crankcase pressure, and push oil out of the motor causing the valve cover, & oil fill cap to leak, as well as push the seals out of the motor causing it to need a new timing belt and new seals.

Sounds like it wasn't clogged just not working because of that vacuum line. Maybe should be checked anyway.

#9 ·
Head gasket or valve cover gasket? If you suspect a head gasket first look for oil in the coolant/coolant in the oil, and then do a compression test. You don't want to go to all of the trouble of pulling the head if the leak is just a valve cover gasket or a rear cam seal.

#10 ·
Since everything is all clean. You'll see it start coming from the exhaust manifold side edge area. I touched and looked around the rear portion of the head front of the firewall. I wish I can find a picture of that area so I can see what parts are back their. The oil only runs on the exhaust side of tge bell housing but clean on the rear and intake side of the bell housing. I really hope its seal or one of the sensors back their. What sensors are back their? I know one on trans which wouldn't be tge cause but theirs one inthe head which iI think could be a coolant sensor doubt that's it. And the can sensor is dry too. Oil cap has new seal nothing running from on top the valve cover. I touched around the area and nothing. But the edge of the head and block seems to were it can be. I need a mirror lol

#12 ·
Yeah, a good light and an inspection mirror is always useful. I don't have any experience with 16vs, but is the oil seeping above the manifold or below it?

#13 ·
It's below.

So the arrow and circle is were it seems to be seeping and the arrow is were it starts to run on the bell housing.

This is the first time degreasing it I didn't take a picture of the second time its way cleaner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.