Please help me pick new tires.
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hopefully I will be getting some nice 17x8 pegs next weekend. My current tires are 205/50 and those according to tire rack will only fit up to 7.5 wheel. Some people say that 205/50 will be fine but they will look too stretched and also might cause unnecessary stress on the tire.

Anyway. I am not sure what will be a good tire or what not. DSW extreme contact seems to have by the majority of people around here.

My requirements are all season tire with good grip for some spirited driving. I read that our cars will fit 225 with nothing needed to be done and 225 fit 17x8 very well.

What do you guys think. Give me some ideas for good tire that will fit my all season plus good performance.
      05 Volvo S40 T5 AWD (OEM sports strut bar; Samco hose; K&N typhoon to stock box; ECU Spacer; E-Focus tq mount; Autotech Stage1 tune; ATP FMIC, SNABB SS; Magnaflow Muffler; Ultra Racing lower brace) ....Sold

2015 GTI - JB1 map1, unibrace, 034 dogbone.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'm extremely happy with the DWS's. With the AWD and traction control I have to actually work to break loose the tires on slippery roads. It actually does better then my rodeo in snow, but then I dont have much bigger tires on the Volvo. Dry and wet grip are also really good.
      1999 Isuzu Rodeo LS 5 speed 4x4 - 4" lift - 33" tires - rear locker - custom sliders
      2006 Volvo V50 T5 AWD - red

If you can get some Kumho KU39, then get some! I've got them allround and I don't want any different! Quiet, grippy, good handling (since I've had them on, I've had NO understeer anymore! The car will follow ALL steering commands instantly!) and good price.
      If you read this, then you haven't understood, that my posting is above this text!

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I'm loving my Falken Ziex 912 - really well-priced, quiet and smooth!
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers

Former:

2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 | 2005 V50 T5 AWD | 1995 Yellow 850 T5-R

If you had said summer tires I would have replied definitely Micheline Pilote Super Sport . . .
      But I can't help you much other than saying avoid Dunlop all season. They'are not terrible tires. They are solid tires with strong side walls, but a bit disappointing on grip.
      T5 S40 Greg (05) > 1. 2. 3. | Kenwood interface |Viva 3"DP |EST exhaust |RICA stage 2+ |EST trust brace |Elevate sway bar |Bell black FMIC | intake pipe |IPD TCV |H&R 1.4 down |IPD front end-links |Focus tran mount |BERN 18x8 on Michelin pilot super sp 225x40 |Bilstein 8 SP struts and shocks |Powerslot rotors |StopTech 309 pads |Custom Boost gauge |Lettering relocation head+rear lights cut vinyl |

Oh, I should also give thumbs up for Hankook Ventus V4 ES H105 - have them on the wife's S40 and the sister's S40. Great performer and comfortable!
      Logan

2008 S40 2.4i - hers

Former:

2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 | 2005 V50 T5 AWD | 1995 Yellow 850 T5-R

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo42 View Post
      I'm extremely happy with the DWS's. With the AWD and traction control I have to actually work to break loose the tires on slippery roads. It actually does better then my rodeo in snow, but then I dont have much bigger tires on the Volvo. Dry and wet grip are also really good.
      X2 Conti DWS is the way to go.
      2005 Volvo V50 T5 AWD 6 Speed

Quote Originally Posted by GuelphV50 View Post
      X2 Conti DWS is the way to go.
      x3

can't go wrong. great all season tires!
      2008 C70 GT - Black/Black/Nordic Oak • 18x8 Black Midirs
      Shark Stage 1 Tune • GoVo ECU Spacer • Ford e-Focus Mount • Bilstein B8 • H&R Springs • Elevate Rear Swaybar • Volvo Strut Bar • Massive Camber Arms • Centric Rotors • Akebono Pads • Hankook Ventus Evo2 235/40/18 • Mods4cars SmartTop • Llumar/Madico Tint • E46 Bi-Xenon HID Retrofit w/ZKW-R Lens Morimoto XB35 • LED Int/Ext/Halos • Fryalip • Custom Leather Steering Wheel Wrap • CocoMats Black Sisal • IPD Skidplate • Fumoto F104N Valve

So will a tire with 225/45 -17x8 will give me any rubbing problems and do I have to run spacers or anything. I will check all the listed tires and get the best prices but it seems like Conti DWS is a liked tire.

Ok so here are the 4 choices I have stumbled across so far.

Kumbo Ecsta 4x =$396 set of 4 after mail in rebate $346
      Conti DWS= $508 set of 4
      Hankook Ventus s1= $460 set of 4 after mail in rebate $400
      Hankook Ventus v4.=$436 set of 4 closeout

Conti is on the high side Kumbo on the low and both Ventus mid. I do like the Ventus s1 and how it looks on the wheel itself too.

Tire rack says aggressive fitment may require fender lip roll on our cars If i go with 225
      Last edited by Deviation01; 05-27-2013 at 01:08 PM.
      05 Volvo S40 T5 AWD (OEM sports strut bar; Samco hose; K&N typhoon to stock box; ECU Spacer; E-Focus tq mount; Autotech Stage1 tune; ATP FMIC, SNABB SS; Magnaflow Muffler; Ultra Racing lower brace) ....Sold

I run 225/45/17 on my winter peg setup. Zero issues but I'm not lowered (are you?)

Personally, I will NEVER buy Kumhos again...bad experiences! Just my $.02
      Logan

2008 S40 2.4i - hers

Former:

Quote Originally Posted by Veefifty T5AWD View Post
      I run 225/45/17 on my winter peg setup. Zero issues but I'm not lowered (are you?)

Personally, I will NEVER buy Kumhos again...bad experiences! Just my $.02
      Well, it depends on what tire. That is why I wrote the KU39. Before the KU39 I had KU31s. The worst tire ever. If it were for me, I wouldn't have taken new Kumhos BUT my dealership had to buy two new tires for me and got the KU39s. I am really satisfied with them. For me, Conti, Dunlop, Bridgestone and Pirelli won't be fitted to my C30 Too many bad experiences... And then on top of that, Conti is being boycotted anyhow
      If you read this, then you haven't understood, that my posting is above this text!

I really like both hankook tires good prices too

So after reading a bunch reviews for the price point I think I will go with Ventus S1 noble2. Good tire great price.

You never mentioned what the offset of the rims are. Altering that will cause rub or not.
      My Miata Build White 92 Miata

My Volvo Build White 2006 S60 T5

I would not get the DWSs again...better in the snow than the OEM Michelins for sure but I have vibration issues with them that I've never been able to get fixed:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?180611-Yet-another-vibration-problem-2009-S40&highlight=vibration+continental+S40

Quote Originally Posted by Deviation01 View Post
      So after reading a bunch reviews for the price point I think I will go with Ventus S1 noble2. Good tire great price.
      Trythe V12. The S1s aren't supposed to be that good.

Quote Originally Posted by xbeatles4x View Post
      You never mentioned what the offset of the rims are. Altering that will cause rub or not.
      I think the ofset is 46

As long as they are 17" pegs, you'll be fine with 225.
      Logan

2008 S40 2.4i - hers

Former:

Quote Originally Posted by daim View Post
      Trythe V12. The S1s aren't supposed to be that good.
      Isn't the v12 a summer tire? Or there is an all season 12?

Yes. I wouldn't take any all season tire, as they are always a compromise and either more summer or winter but not 50:50...

Quote Originally Posted by daim View Post
      Yes. I wouldn't take any all season tire, as they are always a compromise and either more summer or winter but not 50:50...
      Yeah I understand but I get all sorts of weather where I live and 4 months if the year gets cold with some snow and don't have the conditions to change tires so I have to compromise ; (

Quote Originally Posted by Deviation01 View Post
      Yeah I understand but I get all sorts of weather where I live and 4 months if the year gets cold with some snow and don't have the conditions to change tires so I have to compromise ; (
      We had no winter this year. Maybe 1 week of snow, otherwise it was above freezing all the time. I still had my winter tires on though... Even in Britain, where snow is as common as human rights in China, people are finally waking up and buying dedicated seasonal tires.

I had winter tires for my last car. Now I just have a dedicated winter car.
      -Zach
      '06 V50 T5 M66 FWD - Barents Blue - Viveka - 160,000mi
      Mods.
      '08 XC90 V8 Executive - Ember Black - Jet - 170,000mi
      No mods.

Quote Originally Posted by hammer1234 View Post
      I would not get the DWSs again...better in the snow than the OEM Michelins for sure but I have vibration issues with them that I've never been able to get fixed
      Same here on my previous VW Jetta.

Quote Originally Posted by TurbineWagon View Post
      I had winter tires for my last car. Now I just have a dedicated winter car.
      I would but two cars (one just for winter) cost too much here...

Yeah seems like the s1 will be my choice I keep reading is a new tire not a lot of reviews but all are positive.

I'm going to also throw in my 2 cents' worth here....

225/45-17 is the way I would go on 17s. I may also be inclined to think 245/40-17. This will push your price up a bit, but I like a little more rubber on the ground. And these cars have a bit more room than a lot of folks think they do, especially running OE wheels.

Tires, I would also recommend to take a look at the Nitto Motivo in either size. This is a new tire from them. I work for a distributor, and have had nothing but good feedback on this tire. All Season tire, Z speed rating, and a 60k mile warranty. It's very quiet and surprisingly grippy. Having the asymetric tread design, it's also very good in the water. You may drop a few more dollars on this one than the others, but the 60k warranty is tough to beat.

One more, the Falken FK-453. New tire from them, also asymetric. This is Falken's newest. You're going to be pretty close in price to the Motivo. No mileage warranty, but all Falkens do come with a 30-day ride guarantee, meaning if you don't like them for whatever reason, they take them back and pay your shop the labor for changing them out.

Just some added input on Kuhmo's... I ran a set of their Ecsta LE Sports in 225-45-17 on my '07 Sentra SpecV. They handled great, were silent all the way down to the wear bars, never had balance issues, and lasted nearly 20k miles with some heavy autocross use, which is phenomenal. I've actually got a kid interested in buying them from me for cheap to run for autoX (they have a few more weekends in them at least, just not legal for street use).

I went with Michelin Primacy MXV4's on Viveka, but I have nothing against Kuhmo tires. Never tried their all season offerings though.
      -Zach
      '06 V50 T5 M66 FWD - Barents Blue - Viveka - 160,000mi
      Mods.
      '08 XC90 V8 Executive - Ember Black - Jet - 170,000mi
      No mods.

I'm also running Kuhmo's for my summer tires (I have to run a dedicated winter tire here in Alaska), this will be their 3rd season and they are still great. I have the Kuhmo Ecsta LX Platinum Grand Touring All Seasons, in 205/50ZR17. I've had Stockers, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (spendy and became noisy), Cooper Zeon A/S (terrible noise, needed constant re-balancing, wore-out fast), and now the Kuhmo's which are the best so far and were very inexpensive (from Tire Rack).
      2005 S40 T5 AWD, Barents Blue W/Silver Hood, Roof and Trunk, IPD Pegasus R Wheels, BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S & Bridgestone Blizzak's
      200,000+ Alaskan miles and counting

Still searching what about the eagle f1 tire it has good reviews and a lot of people rank it in the top 5 of all season tires.

http://tires.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1...c%2bAll-Season

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo42 View Post
      Recently popped my DWS's, and I went with some Hankook Ventus V12's. Fun tires, at a wonderful price. Dry traction seems to be slightly better than the DWS's, but wet is less. I can make these release so much easier (not to say I'm drifting every corner on accident, but it takes much less work to make them let go). Now, once they do though, it is really easy to control, and thereby an @ssload of fun.

Food for thought.
      '05 S40 T5 AWD 6 Spd - Custom Intake, FMIC & Spray, SMF, S60R Clutch, Muffler
      Delete, Eibach Springs, Corksport RSB, Front LCA Polys, 5mm Front, 20mm Rear, EFocusMnt
      '97 Isuzu Trooper 3.2L 5 Spd - PIAA Headlights, Lowered, Extended Shifter, 4Pt Harness, Plastidip
      '95 Go Kart 1 Spd - Kohler Engine, Mikuni Carb, Big Cam & Stiff Springs, R1 Exhaust

I have the Hankook Ventus V12 Evos on my S40 now and I've been quite happy with them. I'm surprised to hear someone say that they don't have great traction in the rain because it rains pretty much all day, every day where I live and I find that the V12s channel the water quite effectively and reduce instances of hydroplaning to almost 0. I'm on my second season (summer season) with them and they seem to be holding up well without too much wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Moofluffen View Post
      I have the Hankook Ventus V12 Evos on my S40 now and I've been quite happy with them. I'm surprised to hear someone say that they don't have great traction in the rain because it rains pretty much all day, every day where I live and I find that the V12s channel the water quite effectively and reduce instances of hydroplaning to almost 0. I'm on my second season (summer season) with them and they seem to be holding up well without too much wear.
      I've yet to even get close to hydroplaning, but around a turn, very controlable.
      '05 S40 T5 AWD 6 Spd - Custom Intake, FMIC & Spray, SMF, S60R Clutch, Muffler
      Delete, Eibach Springs, Corksport RSB, Front LCA Polys, 5mm Front, 20mm Rear, EFocusMnt
      '97 Isuzu Trooper 3.2L 5 Spd - PIAA Headlights, Lowered, Extended Shifter, 4Pt Harness, Plastidip
      '95 Go Kart 1 Spd - Kohler Engine, Mikuni Carb, Big Cam & Stiff Springs, R1 Exhaust

So why not picking up some affordable wheels for the winter and get yourself some decent summer tires . . . I tell you, these Michelins are just amazing. I just put them back on the car not long ago and man these tires are hell sticky and comfortable. I've said it in the past but they are 18s and they beat my all season 17s in comfort. Crazy... Lol, someone else has to get them on the forum to confirm I'm not insane
      T5 S40 Greg (05) > 1. 2. 3. | Kenwood interface |Viva 3"DP |EST exhaust |RICA stage 2+ |EST trust brace |Elevate sway bar |Bell black FMIC | intake pipe |IPD TCV |H&R 1.4 down |IPD front end-links |Focus tran mount |BERN 18x8 on Michelin pilot super sp 225x40 |Bilstein 8 SP struts and shocks |Powerslot rotors |StopTech 309 pads |Custom Boost gauge |Lettering relocation head+rear lights cut vinyl |

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
      So why not picking up some affordable wheels for the winter and get yourself some decent summer tires . . . I tell you, these Michelins are just amazing. I just put them back on the car not long ago and man these tires are hell sticky and comfortable. I've said it in the past but they are 18s and they beat my all season 17s in comfort. Crazy... Lol, someone else has to get them on the forum to confirm I'm not insane
      I am just not baller enough to afford going back and forth with tires. Have no place to keep them too still live in APT.

I do like how summer tire look tho annnddd here in St. Louis we dont get much snow but still we get enough
      Last edited by Deviation01; 05-31-2013 at 06:16 PM.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast