Fuel filter, PCV replacement questions
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fuel filter, PCV replacement questions

Ok so I am wondering is it hard to replace the fuel filter? I am doing a little tune up on my car soon, new plugs, new fuel filter and new air filter and changing the oil soon also......is the fuel filter a hard thing to do and does somebody sell a kit? like to close off the lines so fuel doesn't pour out.....and the PCV, is it hard to change? and how do you know if you need a new one

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Im pretty sure the fuel filter for our car is in the gas tank sadly... and we don't have a normal PCV on our car like most. Ours is an oil trap with a drain back system with the oil filter housing attached.. if you need a new PVC your car would be making a loud constant like whistle type of noise and would go away when you pull the dipstick.. there are kits to change the PVC. But its not a cheap $12 valve like most.
      Last edited by Evolv0; 06-06-2013 at 10:20 AM.
      MOTOR; K&N intake tube, BSR Heat shield/ECU mount, Samco silicone intake pipe, Upgraded Trannymount, EST Downpipe, Magnaflow 3" muffler, Mountune intake manifold, Bell FMIC, Phuzzy HD TCV, Forge CBV, IPD HD coilpacks, Bosch 70mm Throttlebody.
      SUSPENSION; KWv2 Coilovers, EST strut brace, Elevate rear sway bar, SPC camber arms.
      AESTHETICs; IPD Door pins.

Yup, the fuel system is explained on the last three pages of this pdf, which shows where the fuel filter is in the tank. It is a $100 part (#9/10), but by the time you get all the gaskets and clamps I suspect it will be closer to $200. The fuel system is variable pressure (no return line) with a "smart" pump - so the system will automatically correct as the fuel filter gets dirty by pumping harder. If it is dirty enough that the pump can not compensate, it will set a code, and it's probably not worth changing/cleaning until then.

The PCV trap/valve/housing can be changed but it is also a $100 part that doesn't need to be changed until it fails. However, there is a extended warranty on this part (10 years/120k miles from DOP) due to a faulty design - so you shoulden't have to pay for it when it fails.

Hope this helps.
      '05 S40 T5 AWD M66 sport/winter/ew. Michelin PS A/S+. 6000k 50w HID low/HIR1 high/full LED conversions. RiCA SW. Evoelate intake. IPD rear sway, skidplate, TCV.
      Writeups
      Full P1 (S40/V50/C30/C70) & P2 (S60/V70+R) LED conversion | P1 HID conversion & details | FM Modulators & interference | stalk cleaning | CEM Teardown

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Thanks for the response guys I really appreciate it. Well looks like I will be changing the plugs the oil and the air filter.

I just booked in my volvo to get the PCV done after taking it in many times overs the past couple of years with a high pitch noise from the front they finally decided it was time to replace it. Maybe it was the fact that the Oil Filter house is spitting oil out all over the motor. So finally getting this is getting fixed and they will replacing all the hoses too!

Next is the motor mounts! Can someone Message me about where i can get them!
      S40 T5

Tascaparts.com or ipdusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereTaken View Post
      The fuel filter sounds involved... Drat.
      A semi-regular maintenance item it an awkward spot. I'm not surprised. That I'll pass on
      Garage Queen - 2010 C30 R-Design Vrooooooom
      Daily - 2016 V60 T5 Drive-E Vrooooooom
      Zichrona Livracha - 2004.5 S40 T5

Like the power steering reservoir under the headlight... Or having to remove the intake to get at the oil filter... Or having to unbolt the gas pedal to change the climate air filter...

Sometimes I think the Swedes are just ****ing with us.
      '05 S40 T5 AWD M66 sport/winter/ew. Michelin PS A/S+. 6000k 50w HID low/HIR1 high/full LED conversions. RiCA SW. Evoelate intake. IPD rear sway, skidplate, TCV.
      Writeups
      Full P1 (S40/V50/C30/C70) & P2 (S60/V70+R) LED conversion | P1 HID conversion & details | FM Modulators & interference | stalk cleaning | CEM Teardown

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow27 View Post
      Like the power steering reservoir under the headlight... Or having to remove the intake to get at the oil filter... Or having to unbolt the gas pedal to change the climate air filter...

Sometimes I think the Swedes are just ****ing with us.
      Yup! Though the oil filter is cake compared to the rest
      Garage Queen - 2010 C30 R-Design Vrooooooom
      Daily - 2016 V60 T5 Drive-E Vrooooooom
      Zichrona Livracha - 2004.5 S40 T5

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements