Tires for XC60
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tires for XC60

Tires for XC60

Hello
      I am currently looking for replacement tires for the original Pirelli's on my 2011 XC60 T6.
      It's been an unexpectedly high mileage couple of years.

Any experience with Nokian WRG2's?
      I am considering those and the Michelin Latitude Tour HP.
      Rolling Resistance (mileage $), lifespan, performance in winter are of interest.
      I primarily drive in Capital area of NY with most winter weekends in Lake Placid.
      Thanks for any insights!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I am similarly in the market for my '12 T6, so I'm also interested in knowledgeable replies to this thread. I had really good success with Bridgestone Turanza Serenity's on my '06 Acura TL that I had before my XC60, so I have my eye on Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422's which get similar reviews for CUVs. Any feedback on these as well?
      2012 XC60 T6 AWD, SeaShell Metallic / Anthracite, Platinum, BLIS, Xenons

check out the reviews on tirerack.com, you can even segregate the reviews to Volvos.
      2012 XC60 R-Design - Passion Red / Off-black/Cream Accents, Platinum, Polestar, & Climate
      2013 Tesla Model S P85+ - Multicoat Red / Black

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring . Bought for my wifes XC70. Fantastic rating, high tread life.....super cheap also.
      07 SR| PANTY DROPPER PASSION RED|6MT|EVOLVE|AMS|IPD|SOLID STB MOUNTS|POLY UPPER TORQUE ARM BUSHINGS|POLY TRANSMISSION BRACE|TRAC SPEC V70R SWAY BAR KIT|[/B]AUTOMETER [/B]|PHANTOM SERIES BOOST|FITZY| GAUGE POD (DUAL)| ULTRA RACING STAGE 4|STRUT TOWER BRACE|FRONT LOWER CHASSIS BRACES|REAR LOWER BRACES|REAR UPPER BRACE| AMSOIL|SIGNATURE SERIES OIL|VIVA|STAINLESS STEEL BRAKE LINES

After a couple weeks of research I recently went with Bridgestone H/L 422 Ecopia for my 2011 XC60. Very satisfied with decision. The other two finalists were Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season, and Continental Cross Contact LX20 Eco Plus. Check Tirerack.com and go to the "crossover/SUV touring all season" section.

Quote Originally Posted by rkurlander View Post
      After a couple weeks of research I recently went with Bridgestone H/L 422 Ecopia for my 2011 XC60. Very satisfied with decision. The other two finalists were Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season, and Continental Cross Contact LX20 Eco Plus. Check Tirerack.com and go to the "crossover/SUV touring all season" section.
      Correction: Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil R View Post
      Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring . Bought for my wifes XC70. Fantastic rating, high tread life.....super cheap also.
      That series from Goodyear might be the 'sleeper' line of tires for the CUV crowd. We were very pleased with ours on the '10 T6
      Look for a rebate deal from Goodyear that can be stacked with no interest and a sale price.
      Current: '13 C70 Caspian Blue 2017 FIAT 500L Lounge Bianco...until Volvo brings the XC40 to the States!!!(AND the oil and gas business gets better!!!)
      Previous Volvos[/I]: '11 C70 Ice White;
      Polestar ,'10 XC60 T6 Electric Silver; '08 C70, '07 XC70, '04 V70', '04 C70, '01 S40, '80 242 GT '72 145

Quote Originally Posted by coachrick View Post
      That series from Goodyear might be the 'sleeper' line of tires for the CUV crowd. We were very pleased with ours on the '10 T6
      Look for a rebate deal from Goodyear that can be stacked with no interest and a sale price.
      That is what I read also. Sitting in the garage now, just waiting for fall to install. Great reviews except for a couple negative nellies that probably had allignment issues.
      07 SR| PANTY DROPPER PASSION RED|6MT|EVOLVE|AMS|IPD|SOLID STB MOUNTS|POLY UPPER TORQUE ARM BUSHINGS|POLY TRANSMISSION BRACE|TRAC SPEC V70R SWAY BAR KIT|[/B]AUTOMETER [/B]|PHANTOM SERIES BOOST|FITZY| GAUGE POD (DUAL)| ULTRA RACING STAGE 4|STRUT TOWER BRACE|FRONT LOWER CHASSIS BRACES|REAR LOWER BRACES|REAR UPPER BRACE| AMSOIL|SIGNATURE SERIES OIL|VIVA|STAINLESS STEEL BRAKE LINES

I got the Nokians this winter. LOVE them so far.

Absolutely amazing in snow and rain. Also very good dry, really no complaints.

You're a bit north of me, so you'll have more snow. I would highly recommend them for your area.

They claim to have a good rolling resistance rating, and I have no complaints on my mileage since switching.

Good luck.

Edit: Also, call around for prices on them. A local mom & pop beat the Volvo Dealership by a mile, and STS by a bit as well.
      Last edited by bhill; 06-18-2013 at 11:48 AM. Reason: shopping tip
      His: 2006 V70R T5 AWD, 6MT, Passion Red/Gobi, Premium Audio/Factory Sub, Nav Instagram
      Hers: 2007 V50 T5 AWD, 6MT, Brilliant Blue/Beige, Premium, Climate, Premium Audio
      3rd: 2011.5 XC60 T6 AWD, Saville Grey Metallic/Soft Beige, Climate, BLIS. New engine @87k
      4th: 2006 XC70 ORE T5 AWD, Ocean Race Blue Metallic/Taupe, Climate
      Prev: 1994 850 TURBO Estate, Ruby Red/Black, T5R ECU
      HS/College - 1986 244 DL, Graphite Metallic/Blue Cloth, AW70
      HS - 1981 245 DL, Tan/Brown Vinyl Interior, M46

Nokian hakkapelitta is THE wintertire....
      --> Terra Bronze XC60 T6 AWD P* and a Raw Copper V40CC D2<--

I was curious about the Nokians particularly the 'slushplaning' concept which is a frequent condition in heavy wet snow or as the snow is clearing. A snow tire when you need it but as winters are more spotty than they used to be I've been hesitant to spring the $ for full snow tires and so far have been ok doing so with a bit of caution and patience when required. TireRack doesn't seem to carry Nokians and I read they don't do mail order but haven't searched beyond that site so far.

Can anyone comment on how many miles they got out of the Scorpions? I am at 30K and still seem to have life left (I have the 20 inch if that makes a difference on wear)? Meanwhile as I shop, anyone have experience with Kuhmo Ecstas? I had some on my V70 and really liked them. They are 530.00 with rebate and some of the survey specs are higher than the Scorpions (at more than double the price). Thanks for any comments related.

Link to Kuhmo's on tirerack: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....autoModel=XC60 T6&autoModClar=R-Design AWD
      2011 XC60 T-6 AWD R-Design + Polestar, Passion Red (climate, navigation, and technology packages). Added: Custom Subwoofer, Trailer Hitch, Vision X LED light bar and fogs, and Laser Interceptor V. 8 (Quad).

Quote Originally Posted by twbannon View Post
      Can anyone comment on how many miles they got out of the Scorpions? I am at 30K and still seem to have life left (I have the 20 inch if that makes a difference on wear)? Meanwhile as I shop, anyone have experience with Kuhmo Ecstas? I had some on my V70 and really liked them. They are 530.00 with rebate and some of the survey specs are higher than the Scorpions (at more than double the price). Thanks for any comments related.

Link to Kuhmo's on tirerack: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....autoModel=XC60 T6&autoModClar=R-Design AWD
      We are at 18K and they look to have at least half life left. I'm about 90% sure we'll do the Continental ExtremeContact DWS (all seasons) next time around. There is also a Yokohama tire whose name escapes me at the moment (less performance oriented, but still seems to get decent reviews.
      2012 XC60 R-Design - Passion Red / Off-black/Cream Accents, Platinum, Polestar, & Climate
      2013 Tesla Model S P85+ - Multicoat Red / Black

Quote Originally Posted by Nordicgirl View Post
      Any experience with Nokian WRG2's?
      Yes, IMHO it is the perfect all-season/all-weather tire for this vehicle. I've been buying Nokian tires for several years and have been nothing but impressed with every set.
      NUTRITION PROBLEM: Once harvested fruits and vegetables lose 75% of nutrition within 5 days. How much of your food is shipped for days?
      SOLUTION: Grow your own fruits and vegetables at home! But how? Use a Tower Garden!
      What is a Tower Garden you say? Click here to check out my Tower Garden page!

Just spotted that Nokian now have released verison 8 of Hakapelitta. Check this video out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW5GMsT32RM

What an amazing tire, no one beats nokian when it comes to winter tires.
      --> Terra Bronze XC60 T6 AWD P* and a Raw Copper V40CC D2<--

Quote Originally Posted by martins View Post
      just spotted that nokian now have released verison 8 of hakapelitta. Check this video out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw5gmst32rm

what an amazing tire, no one beats nokian when it comes to winter tires.
      wow! 206mph
      2018 XC60 T5 Momentum AWD/Osmium Grey Metallic/Charcoal Leather/B&W Audio/ACC-PA2 (OSD)
      2011.5 XC60 3.2 AWD/Saville Grey Metallic/Anthracite Black Leather/Premium/Climate/BLIS/Rear Cam/

Hi Nordicgirl, I had a set of Nokian WRG2's on my 2005 XC90 V8 and loved them. They did get a little loud in Summer after 25K miles but they were great other than that. I'm getting a 2014 XC6on OSD Program in September. The car has Inscription and 20" Wheels so I will probably put the Nokian WRG2's on this as well.

Best, Dogman44

Continentals Extreme Contact DWS are pretty good all season tires. I have them on my C70 and XC90 with both over 30k on them with very low noise and last measured at around 6/32s. They're price reasonable compared to Michelins and got great reviews at tire rack.

Quote Originally Posted by cab View Post
      We are at 18K and they look to have at least half life left. I'm about 90% sure we'll do the Continental ExtremeContact DWS (all seasons) next time around. There is also a Yokohama tire whose name escapes me at the moment (less performance oriented, but still seems to get decent reviews.
      Got 30k miles out of the Scorpion Assymetrico. Just got the Scorpion Verde and for an Eco tire a really nice replacement, better so far.
      2010 Bronze Volvo XC60 T6 - hers
      2016 Onyx Black Volvo XC60 T6 R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by S60T6 View Post
      Got 30k miles out of the Scorpion Assymetrico. Just got the Scorpion Verde and for an Eco tire a really nice replacement, better so far.
      I have these and love them so far. Great in snow and dry. One of the few tires that seem to do everything reasonably well.

Quote Originally Posted by rkurlander View Post
      So yesterday I just replaced my factory-equipped Michelin Latitude Tour HP's with a set of 4 Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia's. Also purchased a 5th Zephyrus wheel for a full-size spare and added a 5th of the same Bridgestone. IMMEDIATELY noted a significantly quieter and smoother ride on the new rubber. Obviously overall handling, rain/snow handling, and mileage remain to be seen, but first impressions seem great, and I have a "dream road trip" up the AK Highway coming up that should provide the complete verification of my purchase decision.
      2012 XC60 T6 AWD, SeaShell Metallic / Anthracite, Platinum, BLIS, Xenons

Quote Originally Posted by drat19 View Post
      So yesterday I just replaced my factory-equipped Michelin Latitude Tour HP's with a set of 4 Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia's. Also purchased a 5th Zephyrus wheel for a full-size spare and added a 5th of the same Bridgestone. IMMEDIATELY noted a significantly quieter and smoother ride on the new rubber. Obviously overall handling, rain/snow handling, and mileage remain to be seen, but first impressions seem great, and I have a "dream road trip" up the AK Highway coming up that should provide the complete verification of my purchase decision.

I'm with Drat19. Yesterday I visited the tire store and after much research I decided I will go with the Bridgestone Dueler H/L422 soon. The present Scorpion Assymetrico at 18k miles are feathering on the inside edge of all four tires. Lots of tread left on the rest of the tire but too noisy. These are on my 2011 XC60 T6 non-R.

Since these are asymmetric tires but not uni-directional I wish I would not of followed the Volvo manual advice but rather the dealer and the tire shop advice. By keeping the tires on the same side of the car and only rotating front to back and back to front, the tires don't get rotated in the opposite direction to remove any start of feathering. A non-directional tire can be rotated the conventional way; backs to front, cross fronts to back to even the wear.

I will get the alignment re-checked this week to see how much that could of contributed to the problem.

Since the owners manual was printed, Volvo has a new take on tire rotation. See this TSB Group 77 #7 dated 1/26/2012. I found it in ALLdata but can't copy it here. Important information and a big change. It makes some sense. I plan to follow this after my new set of Bridgestones.

Here is the contents of the above mentioned TSB. I hope it's OK to print it here:

Wheels - Tire Rotation Recommendations

NO:

GROUP:

ISSUING DEPARTMENT:

Service Business

CAR MARKET:

United States, Canada

DATE:
      YEAR MONTH DAY

2012 01 26

TITLE:

Tire Rotation

As suspensions and drive trains evolve, so do vehicle manufacturer recommendations for tire rotation. Volvo's recommendations have always had a technical basis, while leaving some latitude for customer preference. Presently, for current models, Volvo has no recommended tire rotation. Customers may need the guidance of a Volvo service advisor to help them understand the performance and handling tradeoffs that come with tire rotation. Tire wear is affected by a number of factors such as tire inflation, ambient temperature, driving style etc.

Benefits of Not Rotating Tires Braking Stability Performance

During hard braking, braking on a slippery road, or braking in a curve, good rear tire tread may help you avoid oversteer. Oversteer is when a turning vehicle wants to keep turning because of momentum and dynamic forces on the vehicle suspension. Volvo stability systems are all designed toward reducing or helping a driver avoid oversteer. Still, all things being equal, having more rear tire tread can contribute to reduced oversteer. Without rotation, the rear tires will naturally wear more slowly and have more tread.

Tread Set

As tires age, the tread adopts an angular set, based on its angle to the road surface. For vehicle handling reasons, front and rear tread angle is not the same. If tires are rotated, the tread will eventually set at an angle somewhere between what is optimal for a front or rear tire. Although vehicle ride, handling, and road noise may still be acceptable, they may not be optimal. Additionally, an infrequently or irregularly rotated tire may result in tire noise, faster tire wear, and unpleasant changes in steering feel and vehicle handling.

Driving Performance

A tire that can actually adapt to its position will generally provide better steering feel, lower tire noise, and better fad economy.

Suspension Wear Diagnostics

Every vehicles suspension needs periodic inspection and maintenance. A tire's tread wear pattern can be an aid in detecting and diagnosing a suspension problem. Each tire, if left in place, tells a story about its place in the suspension. Tire rotation, on the other hand, can mask a developing problem. Early detection is very important, because suspension problem can worsen tire wear, and reduce vehicle performance, handling, stability, and fad economy.

Tire Rotation

If the tires are rotated, they should only be moved from front to rear or visa versa. They should never be rotated left to right/right to left.

Ideally, tire rotation should be done the first time after approximately 3,000 miles/5,000 km and thereafter at 6,000 mile/10,000 km intervals. Some customers find that tire rotation may help to get extra mileage from tire life.

Tire rotation should only be performed if front/rear tire wear is fairly even and tread height is above 1/16" (1.6 mm).

However, with all current Volvo models, Volvo believes that numerous technical, performance, and handling benefits outweigh any perceived benefit of tire rotation.

I'm on my 3rd tire set at this point, started with OE Pirelli Scorpion which had horrible wear- after 13k they were half worn. Switched out to Continental ExtremeContact DWS which wore great, about 45k to bars, but weren't fantastic for handling, and a bit noisy overtime. Just got a set of Michelin A/S3 and they have been fantastic so far, smooth, quiet, and noticeable difference in cornering (no squeal or chirp). No snow yet, so I haven't tested that, but held perfectly fine for rain etc.

Replaced OEM Pirelli Scorpions after 28k miles. Tire noise was getting unbearable, and I'm obviously disappointed in the tread life. Went with the Continental CrossContact LX20 after seeing the favorable reviews and high ratings at TireRack, Consumer Reports, and Consumer Digest. Also saw some of the negative reviews regarding vibration issues, so keeping fingers crossed on that topic. After just a few hundred miles, really like the tires so far. Very quiet and nice ride, and favorably priced as compared to some of the options. Also, the tires look nice on my 2011.5 XC60 T6, as it is not an aggressive looking 4x4 tire. Handling might not be quite as good as the Pirelli's in their prime, but not a real noticeable difference.

As others have noted, bummed that I didn't have any attractive options at Costco---that is my first choice for tire buying.

Will get to test the Conti's in Iowa snow---but hopefully later rather than sooner!

Had to get a new tire due to a non fixable nail. Shocked at the price for the Michelin's. I seem to have a quite ride, if the Bridgestones are much quieter thats awesome.
      2013 XC60 T6 Ice White
      Premier Plus, Climate, BLIS
      Classic Wood Inlays with Sandstone Beige

I'm at 31000km (19000 miles) on the 20" OEM Pirelli Scorpions, with tread depth of 5/32 left on the front, 7/32 on the back and ridiculous tire noise off the front tires. Having a set of separate winters, I've tracked the mileage from each rotation on/off, and these tires have had as little as 5400km (3350 miles) and 9200km (5700 miles) per season before being rotated front to back (with paperwork to boot). I don't see any unusual wear at all.

Can anyone chime in on what Volvo's warranty coverage is like on tire wear? I can't find any details on whether this is something my dealer can assist with, and Pirelli doesn't offer any warranty on OEM tires.
      2010 XC60 R-Design, Sapphire Black, Polestar-tuned

Tires are not covered on my warranty.
      2012 XC60 RD Plat.

I just bought the Ecopia 422 tires from Costco (great pricing!). Would people recommend having them mount and install them, I've never had them do this before and usually go to a local recommended installer. Thoughts?
      2018 V90 Cross Country T6 Osmium Gray, Maroon Brown Leather, Convenience, Luxury, Bowers & Wilkins, Air Suspension, HUD
      2011 XC60 3.2 AWD, Savile Grey, Premium, Climate, BLIS, PCC
      Fuelly Status here: (http://www.fuelly.com/driver/gassyshawn/xc60)

Third vehicle with Nokian WR G2. 2004 Audi A6 Avant (185K miles - most in New England: WMass and VT especially)). 2009 XC70. 2014 XC60. They are better than OEM tires on the XC60 in all conditions. Fabulous tire. Worth the extra cost, IMHO.

I have about 2-3K on the Ecopias now and can give a mini-review.

My observations:
      + they are very quiet and smooth rolling, as advertised (honestly, the OEM Pirelli's weren't bad in this department as best I remember)
      + rolling resistance and a bump to MPG has been hit or miss, in that on some pavement and scenarios, they are significantly more efficient but overall, I would say they are a modest disappointment in not bumping up MPG much
      + the cost by getting them from Costco and also leveraging a "$70 off on a set of 4 tires" promo was an outstanding value (of course, we'll see how long these things last...)
      - the low rolling resistance nature of these tires is evident on turns, in terms of there is more "slippage" if you will in terms of I think both the softer tire/sidewall (?) and also overall grip versus the OEM Pirelli's
      - there is significant loss of high speed feel and responsiveness and it is more pronounced the faster you go. On some pavement types, you could do 70 and if you turn the steering wheel a few millimeters right and left, you will notice a "floaty" feeling that may scare you. If I didn't have experience with this in the past when I bought "budget" high-end sport tires for my Porsche. I honestly thought there was a tire defect until I understood that grip, responsiveness and overall tire posture is sacrificed when you try to save money, get additional MPG, etc. Same here. Now, there's nothing danger going on, necessarily. The Ecopia's will hold a line very nicely, it's just that these are not Pirelli's. This is the type of stuff that isn't talked about or that you find in reviews, but only through personal experience or via forums like this (unfortunately).

We still haven't got winter here in California, so I can't speak to rain and snow performance. I will update my review after we get those conditions and we've gone skiing and such. Overall, I'm not disappointed, the jury is out though. We'll see if the MPG, service life, rain/snow performance and other factors shine in the coming months/years to justify the loss of feel & performance.
      2018 V90 Cross Country T6 Osmium Gray, Maroon Brown Leather, Convenience, Luxury, Bowers & Wilkins, Air Suspension, HUD
      2011 XC60 3.2 AWD, Savile Grey, Premium, Climate, BLIS, PCC
      Fuelly Status here: (http://www.fuelly.com/driver/gassyshawn/xc60)

Just an update: DO NOT get the Michelin A/S 3 if you will be driving in the snow at all. They are a great three season tire and can get you started in the snow, but pray for help when you need to turn as they have almost no lateral traction on corners or turning. I'm going to be hunting for either dedicated winters or swapping for a different all season (may go back to DWS).

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...=36HR8CCLX20XL

1,000 miles on these on a stock 2012 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum. They are amazing so far on snow and ice in Minnesota. Time will tell, but so far, we are extremely pleased. Tire Rack's survey places them first in comparison to all others and the price is right.

Need clarification on tire model

Quote Originally Posted by XC60-Shawn View Post
      I just bought the Ecopia 422 tires from Costco (great pricing!). Would people recommend having them mount and install them, I've never had them do this before and usually go to a local recommended installer. Thoughts?
      Shawn, just for my clarification, are these tires the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia? I'm a little disappointed in the performance feel at speed that you noticed.

Any member with 20s try Goodyear Eagle Sport All-Seasons (W-spd rated)....TIA for replys

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast