Tires for XC60 - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tires for XC60

Yes, those are what I am waiting to buy (Eagle Sport AS)... I have a few more miles left on the scorpions - got 34K so far... Tirerack has the best price at 179.00 per tire... waiting for rebate until I get desperate. Thanks.
      2011 XC60 T-6 AWD R-Design + Polestar, Passion Red (climate, navigation, and technology packages). Added: Custom Subwoofer, Trailer Hitch, Vision X LED light bar and fogs, and Laser Interceptor V. 8 (Quad).

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Hello All,

First post here.

Will a 255/55-R18 fit on my xc60? OE tires are 235/60-R18 Pirelli P Zero Asymetrics. The 255 is only 1/2" wider, same diam, nearly the same everywhere else.

I am just looking to fatten the tires up a bit, change the looks etc.

Further to the discussion on tire rotation, my Pirellis were growling like crazy, starting at 30K kms. Became unbearable. Dealer said the tires were toast with lots of tread left. Did a minor adjustment on one front wheel alignment, but all 4 tires where feathering badly in the inside edge.

I wasn't impressed, but apparently there was nothing to be done. I had done the rotations religiously at the volvo dealer.

Then I ran into a Goodyear exec. He said I should try doing a back to front, front to opposite rear rotation. The tires are not directional.

Long story short, it took about 10k kms, but they have been repaired. Noise if back to acceptable, feathering gone. I was able to run the tires down to the bars at about 60k kms.

The manual says not to rotate, dealer says front to rear every 10k kms, I say go even further, and put an x in the pattern.

Thanks for the input,

Ken

I can't even begin to imagine why the manual would not recommend rotation, unless the tires are directional (why would they be) or the sizes asymmetrical front to back. If the setup is symmetrical about both axes, then start by rotating front to back and pursue "cross" swapping as you suggest if necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      2014 BMW 335i M-Sport/6MT
      2014 XC60 R-Design
      2018 S90 Momentum/Polestar

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Tire Rotation

Quote Originally Posted by AudiA4 View Post
      I can't even begin to imagine why the manual would not recommend rotation, unless the tires are directional (why would they be) or the sizes asymmetrical front to back. If the setup is symmetrical about both axes, then start by rotating front to back and pursue "cross" swapping as you suggest if necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

True, the tires are not directional nor asymmetrical front to back but read the TSB posted above in #23. Then you'll know the reason why Volvo believes it. We may not agree with Volvo, but they have some good points about non rotation.

To Ken, post #37....... I have wear on inside of all four tires about an equal amount after 18k miles. Suspected a toe problem and had a four wheel alignment at a tire shop and yes, the rears were not toed correctly. "X" the tires and will run for 5k miles and then rotate just as you wrote above, fronts crossed to rear and rears straight to front. This also recommended by a second tire shop. Hope they straighten out, and quiet down, there's lot of tread left.

Ron

Just another data point for this thread. I went from the factory Pirelli Scorpion Assimetrico tires to CrossContact LX20 with EcoPlus Technology on a 2010 T6.

Here are my observations:
      1. Wet and Dry grip are very good.
      2. The tires are very quiet.
      3. The sidewalls are much softer than the Pirelli's. This gives a much more comfortable ride, but my wife found it unnerving to change lanes at freeway speeds due to the sidewalls wobbling a bit, and she is not a daredevil. I ended up putting +5 lbs of air in and she seems happy now. Of course, the ride is harsher again, but still slightly softer than the Pirelli's were in both handling and ride.
      4. I had two out of four tires that had out of spec runout. In other words, they weren't round (by up to .28") and had to be replaced. Apparently this happens to all the brands from time to time, but it seems I saw more reports on Continentals than most when I was researching. In any case, I am very satisfied with them after replacement.

Note, I don't track fuel economy closely, but they appear to either be the same or only slightly better than the Pirelli's.

Hope this information helps someone.

-AndyW
      Last edited by AndyW318; 08-15-2014 at 02:06 AM.

I put Bridgestone Dueler HL Ecopia 442’s on our 2011 XC60 about 1-1/2 ago. Now with 27K miles on them.....Wearing great, smooth ride, not as sporty as the OEM Pirellis, but the Pirellis got so noisy they had to go.
      - I would recommend these tires as a replacement with no hesitation.

On my 2007 XC90 I had replaced whatever stock tire (Pirelli or Michelin) with Nokian WRG2 because of poor snow performance. Realized soon after that my CPO AWD XC90 was only using 2WD. Thanks Volvo of Oak Park... YOU SUCK. Anyway the Nokians were so much better even with the 2WD. Once the AWD was fixed at another dealership the snow performance was great! I went through 2 sets and just put on a 3rd set in Sept only to have my car totaled so I never got to test the NEW series in snow. Worth every penny IMO. If you're in Chicagoland check Suburban Tire...

Quote Originally Posted by ChongLi View Post
      On my 2007 XC90 I had replaced whatever stock tire (Pirelli or Michelin) with Nokian WRG2 because of poor snow performance. Realized soon after that my CPO AWD XC90 was only using 2WD. Thanks Volvo of Oak Park... YOU SUCK. Anyway the Nokians were so much better even with the 2WD. Once the AWD was fixed at another dealership the snow performance was great! I went through 2 sets and just put on a 3rd set in Sept only to have my car totaled so I never got to test the NEW series in snow. Worth every penny IMO. If you're in Chicagoland check Suburban Tire...
      wtf happened?
      just some cars...but for this forum:
      2016 Onyx Black Metallic XC90 T6 Inscription w/Amber
      Convenience, Vision, B&W, 4C Air, Climate, Center Booster, Protection Package
      Added: P*, PAII, Mudguards, Roof Rack, Volvo Designer Edition Roof Box, Cargo liner, iPad RSE

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2