Tire Replacement Strategy?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

There have been a number of posts that have addressed tire replacement when its time to replace all four tires. I have not seen any discussion on only the fronts. In my case I am at about 32K with 3/32" left on the fronts but 7/32" on the rears. When I went in for my 30K service the manager showed be a Volvo Service Manager Bulletin (Group 77, No. 7) dated 1/26/12 entitled Tire Rotation.

As has been previously posted Volvo does not recommend any rotation claiming it is always better to have the greater tread depth available at the rear to avoid oversteer under hard braking or cornering. They also state that the front and rear tread set is different in angle and rotation can lead to increased wear and sub-optimal handling and feel. Also that driving performance will suffer as will noise and fuel economy. Finally they state that suspension problems are more easily diagnosed and detected when tires don't get moved.

The result was that the recommendation was to only replace the fronts using the same model as original and then place all four with your tire set of choice the next time the fronts need it. Thus my question is - Is this consistent with others experience and a reasonable strategy or is there a better approach? I should say that I am on the West Coast and thus have an FWD model which has yet to see snow and that I would probably go with the ComfortTread modesl when I replace based on my research and usage.
      2011.5 XC60 3.2L Flamenco Red/Anthracite Black, Premium, Multimedia, Convenience, BLIS, Xenon + Custom Subwoofer

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Hmmm...we had the dealer rotate ours at 18k miles or so which corrected a slight pull we had to one direction. Dealer didn't mention anything or object.
      2012 XC60 R-Design - Passion Red / Off-black/Cream Accents, Platinum, Polestar, & Climate
      2013 Tesla Model S P85+ - Multicoat Red / Black

We also had the dealer "offer" (for a slight fee) to rotate ours at our last oil change. Didn't take them up on it as I rotate, front to back (my honda recommends front to back and criss cross back to front), every 5000 miles.
      2012 XC60 3.2 FWD Ice White

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Guess I'm fortunate, my dealer does it as part of the service....as a matter of fact while doing the rotation they noticed a screw in my tire and patched it.....love these guys
      2018 XC60 T5 Momentum AWD/Osmium Grey Metallic/Charcoal Leather/B&W Audio/ACC-PA2 (OSD)
      2011.5 XC60 3.2 AWD/Saville Grey Metallic/Anthracite Black Leather/Premium/Climate/BLIS/Rear Cam/

I am surprised given this service notice that these is being recommended and even done free! Makes one wonder...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
      2011.5 XC60 3.2L Flamenco Red/Anthracite Black, Premium, Multimedia, Convenience, BLIS, Xenon + Custom Subwoofer

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements