Timing, help please.
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Timing, help please.

Hey everybody, I am having an issue with setting my valve timing and finding the crank shafts proper position for setting everything.

The marks on my crankshaft pulley and flange do not seem to line up unless im looking at the wrong markings. The other issue I have found is that I cant seem to find the casting mark on the oil pump housing. I have been reading the haynes manual and in the picture they show it is rather unclear as to where the casting mark is. The last question i have is when setting the camshafts, My v70 t5 (2002) with the b5234t3 engine, has the vvt system on the exhaust cams, should i have the vvt turned all the way in a certain direction or should it be in the middle.

This is all after doing a head gasket replacement, which so far this timing issue is my only problem. this is my first time dealing with the vvt system.

I ordered the camshaft locking tool but it did not show up in time, i got it after my head and everything was back on the block.

Thanks in advance,

The kid.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I think i have everything figured out, and just asking for comfermation if any one can tell me, the crankshaft mark on the flange should line up with the really tiny mark on the piece that sticks out, i tried to get a picture of it but could not. all it is is the tiniest mark on the out side fire wall side of the casting that sticks out.

thanks again

the kid.

this picture makes it clear

ignore the vvt just line the marks up.

2004 XC70 2.5T AWD Crystal Green Pearl/Charcoal [240K] Mud Guards, 05- Wiper Arms, 305mm brake upgrade, Full LED Exterior, 1-inch lift Pic
      2003 XC70 2.5T AWD Silver/Charcoal [190K] XeMODeX, Mud Guards, 05- Wiper Arms, LED Headlights
      2004 S80 2.5T AWD Crystal Green Pearl/Light Sand [240K] Bi-Xenon, LED Foglights, 07 Turbo and rear diff

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Re: Timing, help please.

Thank you racer s. I'll set it to this when I get home. The Haynes is not that clear. Is that the Vida software image? It might be worth finding it.

Thanks.
      The kid

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Are you talking about just getting the timing belt back on? Or did you remove the cam sprockets and need to get them bolted back on right?
      2003 C70 T5M Convertible - Eibachs, Koni FSDs, Enkei RSF5s, OBX downpipe, Snabb intake, RIP kit, & drop-in intercooler, Quaife LSD, 19T, Green Giants, 22 psi Hilton tune.
      2006 V70 2.5T - Ice White - Oak Arena, (almost) bone stock daily driver.
      1966 122s - Collectible project, restoration and many mods on the way.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD - Daughter's first car. No mods unless she does 'em herself.

Hey.
      So I set the time according to the picture racer s posted. Spun the engine over by hand and it was fine. Everything lines back up. Now the car runs but it is very rough and sounds like the valves are open for part of the combustion cycle. With a slight popping noise. I was worried a valve had been bent so I did a compression test. From driver side to passenger side it goes 153psi,155psi, 155psi,153psi, 157 psi. I did the test with fully open throttle and held it for 5 seconds.
      Any advice?

Thanks
      The kid

And no I did not remove the can sprockets was asking about just getting the timing belt back on.

Cam*

as long as you didn't remove the sprockets everything should be where its suppose to be..

the sprockets aren't keyed so there is a procedure to line them back up once removed.

Its possible something didn't line up when you sandwiched the cover back on. Or you misjudged the cam marks a few teeth.

I havent had a cylinder head apart yet.
      Last edited by Racer_S; 07-30-2013 at 09:21 AM.
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD Crystal Green Pearl/Charcoal [240K] Mud Guards, 05- Wiper Arms, 305mm brake upgrade, Full LED Exterior, 1-inch lift Pic
      2003 XC70 2.5T AWD Silver/Charcoal [190K] XeMODeX, Mud Guards, 05- Wiper Arms, LED Headlights
      2004 S80 2.5T AWD Crystal Green Pearl/Light Sand [240K] Bi-Xenon, LED Foglights, 07 Turbo and rear diff

Lining up the cover and putting it on maybe but it was rather straight forward. I'm still thinking bent valve. More specifically bent intake valve. But if it doesn't show up on the compression test is there any other way to check with out removing the head all over again?

I say intake because with the turbo tubes on but not tightened there was faint smoke in the engine bay that isn't there with them tightened all the way.

The only reason I don't want to pull the head is the wait for head bolts and getting another set of gaskets unless I'm sure about the problem.

Thanks,
      The kid

I did have a friend help with part. Now I'm wondering of he might have taken the gear of may I ask. How to line them back up so I can be sure its done right. I'm waiting for a response from said friend.

Just an update. I scanned the error codes. And I got a p0236, p0237 and a p0103 checked the intake track. Found the cold side of the intercooler had came loose replaced the clamp. Now I still have the p0237,p0236 codes and a popping noise.

Does Any one have any suggestions?

Thanks a lot guys,
      The kid.

You sure the popping noise is coming from the head and not the turbo? looks like some turbo issues there.

You can check the cam gear alignment from the opposite side, the cutouts should be parallel to the valve cover when timing marks are all lined up.

If cam gears were off, you would have trouble codes for cam sensor, so I think your timing is OK.

Use a long metal tool (like a breaker bar) with a rag on the end up to your ear as a makeshift mechanics stethoscope (or just get a mechanics stethoscope ) to help pinpoint the noise, at least narrow it down to a cylinder or rule out faulty turbo.

Possibly put up a video?
      Last edited by Racer_S; 08-03-2013 at 04:28 AM.

Racer s here is the video of it at idle. Sputtering away. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qtu...e_gdata_player

I am going to try to narrow it down but seems like its coming from the front of the engine right now.

Sound like its backfiring through the intake, something not right with timing or valves. You should check the cam sensors and the notches on the opposite side of cams.

I thought this but not sure why. The timing was re done with the cam lock tool and everything lines up. Unless my intake is 180°off but then it wouldn't run. With 150-160 psi across all cylinders I don't think its a bad valve. I'm ruining out of ideas to check I have checked the timing 5 times now. checked my cam sensor, map and iat sensors had some residue on it which probably came from when the hg blew.

Thanks,
      The kid

i have no idea, if this came in my shop the way it is, id check the plugs to narrow down a cylinder.

if you think its all cylinders then maybe the vvt isn't working correctly.

would help to have DICE plugged in to get more detailed info.

If it overheated beforehand the head could be warped.

maybe someone else can chime in.
      Last edited by Racer_S; 08-03-2013 at 05:43 PM.

I'm not sure I still haven't pin pointed the popping noise. With out dice would the vvt throw a code that a Mac et97 would pick up? Upon searching the p0236 code seems to come up people change the map sensor and seems to solve the issue. I'm in the middle of tracking one down. I unplugged it and ran the car with no change in running so I'm assuming its in some sort of limp mode.

I'd spring out and buy a Vida dice system but they are expensive and would take another week at least to get here.

Hey so I've been working on my wagon. And addressing two things here. Rough idle and popping. So I changed my map sensor code p0236 and it has stayed away. Now the popping and rough idle is still there put a lot less. So I started trying to diagnose by disconnecting the coils and working across. Then moved to injectors. When I got to injector number 4 the popping went away almost completely. so I then removed the fuel line. Swapped injector 4 with injector 5. Started to car and got the popping. So I unplugged injector 5(formally 4) and the popping again seemed to have gone away. Would it seem likely my injectors are dirty or clogged and holding open dumping fuel causing the popping? Any ideas no matter how crazy are welcome.

Thanks
      The kid

yeah its possible, try replacing that injector with a new one, they have to be pretty cheap

You would think so but I can't find them for under 130 viva,ipd,est doesn't have them listed, Volvo didn't pick up, and checking the local Volvo reclaimers Volvo guys. See if they have any.

24. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements