SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

DIY #1: Aftermarket In-Dash GPS/DVD on XC90 Solved

249K views 333 replies 81 participants last post by  drprofessional 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all so I did a lot of leg work regarding aftermarket radio installs more specifically double din GPS units on XC90's and found a solution that allows you to remove all parts of thef actory radio. As you may already know there are solutions out there that require certain parts of the factory radio behind.

I found this site company Incartec (
https://incartec.co.uk/Volvo/XC90 ) and they sell all the adapters for the XC90 radio and you can remove every part of the factory radio, over all a little costly and shipping was expensive to Canada but VERY happy. There are no errors and I was able to remove every single piece of the factory radio/amp which meant I had no space issues, getting stuff behind the dash.With by passing the amp I was able to put the new amp under the passenger seat.

This is everything they advised I needed

1 x VOLVO XC90 CANbus Interface - (39-VOL-UNI)
1 x Volvo XC90 (03-07) amplifier bypass cable - (20-307)
1 x Volvo V70 S60 XC90 PDC Interface - (25-509)
1 x Antenna extension 6 Metre - (21-009)
1x Hyundai /Kia Aerial adapter to male din plug - (21-130)
1x VolvoXC90 Radio Facia Double Din kit (50-860)

My car is a 2013 so I would confirm with them parts are the same for other model years.

Important to know that the steeringwheel interface works with the following head unit brands, Alpine, Kenwood, JVC,Blaupunkt, Clarion, Panasonic, Zenec, Eclipse, Grundig, Sony, Pioneer, Becker,

as I wanted to get the Parrot but it is not compatible.

Hope that helps everyone out.I am not sure who else sells this stuff because I looked ALL over the net but if you have an idea please post it will help others out greatly, trust me I spent 2 months looking around.

On a side note as speaker information is also limited onlineI was able to fit 6.5 components in the front doors with a mounting depth of 2.5 no problem (installer said 3" would also be fine). For the rears I was able to fit 5.25 mid ranges with 2.81 depth no problem.

See less See more
#3 ·
Good info. Do you have any install details or pictures?

#4 ·
I was looking at InCarTec's instructions and the process "looks" pretty straight forward. I am coordinating getting the parts with them so I can do an install in our 2012 XC90. I'll document the process and hopefully come up with an "easy" process for others to follow. I am hopeful that I can get the existing backup camera to work with a Kenwood headunit.

Not sure what I'll do with the slide up LCD screen at this point but i think the navigation unit and factory backup camera may be completely separate from the radio, so quite possibly, those could remain independent. Although, my wife wants a faster responding backup camera.

#5 ·
The Nav guidance voice comes through the stereo, no? What about the Nav buttons on the side of the column, CAN bus? Would the dealer have to reprogram the XC so that it isn't looking for the Nav equipment? I was thinking if the HU can do Nav, either natively or through the iPhone, it would be nice to have the storage bin replace the center speaker. I think it was available on the lower spec XC90's. With proper time alignment, you don't need a true center channel.

#6 ·
  1. Volvo XC90 Radio Facia Double Din kit (50-860)
  2. VOLVO XC90 CANbus Interface (39-VOL-UNI)
  3. Volvo XC90 CAN bus link lead (23-223)
  4. Volvo XC90 (03-07) amplifier bypass cable (20-307)
  5. Volvo XC90 roof antenna to male din plug (21-148)
  6. Antenna extension 6 Metre (21-009)
  7. Volvo V70 S60 XC90 (05>) PDC Interface (25-509)

parts ordered. I will keep you guys updated on the progress.

#7 ·
Parts arrived today! time to order a head unit and to clear the calendar for the weekend.

#9 ·
I'm interested in this install, I'm curious how you make out.. I looked and it looks like these parts would even work in an 06.. I'm local and I'd love to take a look at what you got.

Tom

#8 ·
Excellent! I'm waiting to pull the trigger on the rest of my system until you confirm everything is A-OK.

#10 ·
Tom - I'll post when its done and you can definitely come by and check it out. I am in Ashburn. Headunit should be here tomorrow - not sure if I'll get a chance this weekend or not but I am excited to give it a try.

#12 ·
Tom - I'll post when it s done and you can definitely come by and check it out. I am in Ashburn. Headunit should be here tomorrow - not sure if I'll get a chance this weekend or not but I am excited to give it a try.
What head unit did you decide to go with? Any particular reason for going with that one?

#11 ·
Hopefully, I have all the necessary parts to pull this together. Going to solder that main harness and start to piece it together on the bench before tearing a part the XC.

#13 ·
I went with the Kenwood DNX690HD. I have used this head unit in previous iterations and I like the Garmin Nav. I am use to Kenwood's interface. It is not perfect but has improved during the past two years. I would have considered another brand if it had Garmin or Magellan, both of which I like in portable navigation units.

#16 ·
Chris,

Have you done the install yet? We just purchased a 2007 XC90 and the factory radio is bunk. FM barely comes in. AM does not at all. Got a quote on Kenwood 6.9 inch with Nav, etc for $1850!!!! Looking for other options. Interested in how your install goes. Coincidentally, I am also in Ashburn.

John

#18 ·
I have not had time to do the install yet. :( I am still working to track down some wiring diagrams for the backup camera.

John - $1850 installed? I think my headunit was $899 from Crutchfield.

#19 ·
Some updated pictures of what you need to do the the backside of the center console. I recommend you pickup a used center console from www.erievovo.com. The final harness adapter arrived from the UK, so I think I am ready to pull things apart again. I used a dremmel with a cutting wheel to trim and open up to back of the center console. This allows the head unit to slide in and sit flush with the face plate.

#20 ·
Updated parts list: http://incartec.co.uk/volvo/2258/1036/2070/radio/Browser.aspx

1. Volvo XC90 Radio Facia Double Din kit (50-860)
  2. VOLVO XC90 CANbus Interface (39-VOL-UNI)
  3. Volvo XC90 CAN bus link lead (23-223)
  4. Volvo XC90 (03-07) amplifier bypass cable (20-307)
  5. Volvo XC90 roof antenna to male din plug (21-148)
  6. Antenna extension 6 Metre (21-009)
  7. Volvo V70 S60 XC90 (05>) PDC Interface (25-509)
  8. Kenwood spare part radio cable to ISO (30-400)

#21 ·
Happy holidays Chris.

Great pics so far. Can't wait to hear more.

One question: are you going to put a trim piece around the cover when you're finished in irder to give it a more finished look?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If winning isn't important, then why keep score?

#22 ·
Yes - this is what it will look like with the trim piece. As you can see my cordless drill's rotating grip caught the edge of the faceplate when I was inserting a screw to hold the cage. :( I may eventually order a new faceplate but for now a lesson learned. There is some movement available and I may play with some small shims to get the alignment around the edges to appear more even. After the holiday travels, I hope to revisit the install on Sunday and see if I can get some audio going.

I still need to track down the connectors for these OEM parts:
- the GPS antenna
- Sirius antenna and unit. I would like to use the OEM unit since we still have some free time left on it and its one less thing to buy.
- backup camera video.

#23 ·
That looks really nice. Can't wait to read your next update.

I really appreciate the detail information.

I don't remember if you have factory nav in your model or not.

If winning isn't important, then why keep score?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#24 ·
I think the backup camera and NAV may be completely separate from the radio - although the NAV voice does interfere with the radio, so there is some integration. The parking sensor is integrated with the radio when it beeps. The InCarTec setup includes a parking sensor module.

I need to review the wiring diagrams for the camera and the video screen to see if there is a video input that can work with the Kenwood. Not finding any solid info but it looks like Volvo is using a non-standard/proprietary module, harness and connectors to work with the camera.

#34 ·
I think the backup camera and NAV may be completely separate from the radio - although the NAV voice does interfere with the radio, so there is some integration. The parking sensor is integrated with the radio when it beeps. The InCarTec setup includes a parking sensor module.

I need to review the wiring diagrams for the camera and the video screen to see if there is a video input that can work with the Kenwood. Not finding any solid info but it looks like Volvo is using a non-standard/proprietary module, harness and connectors to work with the camera.
Chris-

What module did you use for the parking sensor -- CANM8? Also, is that a premium system in your XC90? If so, are you able to get audio from your center ? Is 22w rms enough for 10 or 12 speakers? Thanks.

#26 ·
Aftermarket In-Dash GPS/DVD on XC90 Solved

I have the unit operational.

A couple of things:
- The Kenwood takes about 5mins to shut off - its on switched power, so not sure why its hanging for so long.
- The dash panel is sitting out about one inch, I need to work on moving thing around behind the cage.
- A few rattles with the cage that need some thin foam to quiet.
- Still searching for OEM backup camera video input signal wire.
- I purchased a FM/AM amplified antenna, I was unable to use the supplied adapter. I did not find an antenna above the headliner anywhere - I found the antenna amplifier under the driver's interior rear quarter panel. The antenna is in the glass. That was fun to pull apart!
- Steering wheel controls are working great. Instructions were not 100% clear but a little head scratching and got it to work.
- Park assist beep module works similar to the factory unit
- The clock on the tachometer needs reset after the battery is plugged in.

I need to finalize a false floor to replace where the amp was located under the passenger seat. also need to get a piece of wire loom to cover the wires going under the seat rail.

I am going to work on an update wiring diagram showing the various InCarTec components and how they connect together. This should be helpful for future installs.

Some misc. picts during the install:

Lots of wires to work with:

Searching for an antenna connector on the roof:

backside comparisons:

#27 ·
Wow that brings back memories, cutting out the back to get mine to fit.

1) Regarding the clock, do you still have your factory displayed plugged in? My clock still worked although I didn't tap into the CanBus for the steering wheel controls.

2) I wonder if you temporarily disconnect from the canbus if the clock comes back.

3) If you're not going to make a storage space under the psngr seat, why not just leave the factory amp mounted there? Or maybe even leave it plugged in so the rest of the car electronics stay "happy".