SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

DIY #1: Aftermarket In-Dash GPS/DVD on XC90 Solved

249K views 333 replies 81 participants last post by  drprofessional 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all so I did a lot of leg work regarding aftermarket radio installs more specifically double din GPS units on XC90's and found a solution that allows you to remove all parts of thef actory radio. As you may already know there are solutions out there that require certain parts of the factory radio behind.

I found this site company Incartec (
https://incartec.co.uk/Volvo/XC90 ) and they sell all the adapters for the XC90 radio and you can remove every part of the factory radio, over all a little costly and shipping was expensive to Canada but VERY happy. There are no errors and I was able to remove every single piece of the factory radio/amp which meant I had no space issues, getting stuff behind the dash.With by passing the amp I was able to put the new amp under the passenger seat.

This is everything they advised I needed

1 x VOLVO XC90 CANbus Interface - (39-VOL-UNI)
1 x Volvo XC90 (03-07) amplifier bypass cable - (20-307)
1 x Volvo V70 S60 XC90 PDC Interface - (25-509)
1 x Antenna extension 6 Metre - (21-009)
1x Hyundai /Kia Aerial adapter to male din plug - (21-130)
1x VolvoXC90 Radio Facia Double Din kit (50-860)

My car is a 2013 so I would confirm with them parts are the same for other model years.

Important to know that the steeringwheel interface works with the following head unit brands, Alpine, Kenwood, JVC,Blaupunkt, Clarion, Panasonic, Zenec, Eclipse, Grundig, Sony, Pioneer, Becker,

as I wanted to get the Parrot but it is not compatible.

Hope that helps everyone out.I am not sure who else sells this stuff because I looked ALL over the net but if you have an idea please post it will help others out greatly, trust me I spent 2 months looking around.

On a side note as speaker information is also limited onlineI was able to fit 6.5 components in the front doors with a mounting depth of 2.5 no problem (installer said 3" would also be fine). For the rears I was able to fit 5.25 mid ranges with 2.81 depth no problem.

See less See more
#224 ·
Please tell me you're not splicing wires to install a head unit...

#226 ·
#229 · (Edited)
factory navi is working, no sound through speakers which isnt a problem. Lots of trial an error.

Once you do the installation, you loose factory navi and back up sensors, the kit i used supplied a external speaker for backup which is weak but works.

Running

Axxess Volvo XC90 Data Interface with SWC 04-14
Connects2 CT27AA35 - Antenna Fakra
Eonon GA2170 running with hotspot
Skar Audio

SK-M9005D 5 channel amp fits under passanger seat on top of factory amp
Tx65 component speakers for front
Tx65c 2 way for rear
Txt for rear pilllar tweeters
VD-8 D4 subwoofer

#230 ·
Just noticed... In the photo your "Auto" light and fan speed light both appear to be on. I can't do that with mine; as soon as I touch the fan speed the auto goes out, and when I press auto the fan speed goes out...

#232 ·
Semi-related question: I'm going to be replacing the lights within my accessory switches below the climate control, and in order to gain access I need to unplug and remove the stock radio unit. Question is, do I need to disconnect my battery?

Nothing is changing other than taking out burnt out bulbs and replacing with new, and radio will be out for 10 minutes tops.

#233 ·
I don't have personal experience with this, other than always disconnecting the battery when pulling the console apart. From what I've read in other posts, though, others have had to reset the SRS with their VIDA as if it's a common issue. But then, disconnecting the battery and resetting the clock just isn't that big a deal, to me. Certainly less trouble than dragging out the laptop and struggling through the menus to figure out how to reset the SRS. Besides, one caution I've come across is some concern that the airbags could fire from messing around in there with the power on, but I don't know how real that is.

#236 ·
Just finished my installation yesterday with Axxess AX-VL90042 (as I have parking assists) with AVIC-W8400NEX. Everything is working fine beside the controls on the steering wheel. I have the ASWC-1 interface but only volume up works. Wanted to update and thank you all for all helpful posts.

Cheers!

#237 · (Edited)
https://www.scosche.com/vo4155srb
I can vouch for this kit. At $110 it has everything.
Things to note.
I do not have factory navigation.
The website says it keeps the factory amp, it does not.
The steering wheel buttons work and no SRS light, but the main display stays connected and hidden behind the double din.
I went to the junkyard and grabbed a speaker pigtail for the amp, plugged it into the amp after install and wired two tweeters to the rear speaker wires and stashed them under the passenger seat, which allowed me to keep the backup warning sensors.

#240 ·
I've just bought an 06 XC90. The angle of the face of the stock stereo has me concerned. Does the schosche kit fit on the same angle?

#239 · (Edited)
When you install the scoshe kit it has plugs that you use to plug the factory amp plugs into. So, the amp power plug becomes the double din power source and the amp speaker plug becomes the double din speaker plug. This leaves the amp there with only the fiberoptic plug connected. The factory radio display also gets plugged into the new harness and stashed behind the double din.
So, i went to the junkyard and bought both amp pigtails. I plugged them into the amp. I ran power for one pigtail, and for the speaker pigtail i plugged it in and connected two small tweeters to the rear speaker leads and stashed them under the passenger seat. All the MOST fiberoptics stay plugged in except for the cd changer. Now, i have a double din running independent of the amp and the amp is used solely for the backup sensor beeps.

#269 ·
I may have had to turn my head sideways ;) , but that looks awesome! I had initially thought I'd do a double din install, but have started looking at the 'floating' single din options the past few days. Was trying to figure out this afternoon how large I could go w/out blocking the vents. Alpine has the 11 inch screen. . . .

But looking at your HU has pretty much sold me. Thanks for sharing!

#250 ·
Replaced the outdated 12v power point with a 12v meter and USB jack. It switches to amps when something is plugged in. Many versions on Amazon.

#251 ·
So.. I've been reading up on the whole aftermarket 2din stereo thing for my 06 XC90.
I have the premium audio package with Dynaudio.

So .. *IF* I understand correctly there's no way to keep the current amplifier in use due to the fiber connections. With a kit like https://incartec.co.uk/product/Volv...-with-rear-PDC-retention-interface-FK-860-PDC I can hook up the current speakers to the new 2din unit (Pioneer SPH-DA230DAB), right?
I can then add a subwoofer to the unit as well? The unit has a connector option for it.

First time car audio project. Better safe than sorry :)

#252 ·
After reading this thread I'm close to order the stuff I think I need. Just wanted to double check it'll work for my car.

I have an XC90 MY 06, with Premium Audio (Dynaudio). I see the incartec set: https://incartec.co.uk/product/Volv...-with-rear-PDC-retention-interface-FK-860-PDC
Would this kit combined with a Kenwood DMX7018DABS work? I'd be bypassing the amp if I understand correctly and hook up the speakers directly to the new HU.

Also want to add https://incartec.co.uk/product/Volvo-Reverse-View-Camera-CA-VOL01.

What I don't see, yet, is how the incartec kit works with the fiber optic signal. I don't see a fiber optic cable in the kit. Am I missing something?

#253 ·
Maybe contact them direct and get it cleared up, but it's not looking like it will do anything besides redirect the output from whatever stereo you decide on to the speaker cables unplugged from the amp, and, forget about any of the original gear.. The canbus interface gives you the backing sensors and steering wheel control interface. They provide a new speaker for the backing sensor, much like Axxess does.
I read the specs on the Kenwood, and it seems that, like most of these head units, that they don't want you to know what kind of main processor or what level of Android the rig is upgradeable to. I can't believe the thing has only one BT and one USB. Seems that I missed where it says anything about memory and SDram expansion. There are lots of Android units out there, and this one seems a little spec lite.
Features available to look for:
More than one BT channel, so that the second one can talk to a BT canbus reader.
Multiple USB, so a front camera records straight to a large USB drive or portable hard drive, and you can plug in music storage or DVD storage for the kiddos.
As much memory as you can get. Multi-tasking apps will slow things down. At least 4Gb RAM
WiFi with Remote antenna so you can update stuff from home WiFi. It can be faster than cell data. Everybody knows that Android apps are constantly updating (and that the OS never seems to).
GPS included.
Don't get sucked in by "Steering Wheel Control" ready BS, either. If it uses pulse signals; it won't work with your car SWC goes over the Canbus on our cars. SWC goes through the famous "clock-spring".
Don't expect, familiar sounding processors like Qualcomm Snapdragon, because they are phone chips with cellular capability.
I've had my ATOTO A6 (love it) for over a year, and I'm just now finding out all the things Android can do in the car. Yeah, I'm a slow adopter:rolleyes:
What market are you in? If US, there may be more options. I looked Incartec over closely when I m
was gearing up, and it seems a bit pricey. I went Axxess for SWC. I don't have factory back-up sensing.

#254 ·
I did my mom's XC70 with a Metra ASWC1 kit and was disappointed to not get an Illumination wire.
I just swapped out the Pioneer HU's and was very happy to discover the new HU wanted a speed pulse wire and the InCarTec (that I installed way long time ago) had it there waiting for me.
The InCarTec has never skipped a beat. I would buy it again.

The most effective strategy for dealing with the MOST fiber optic system that Volvo/VW/Porsche use is to get rid of it entirely.
The first best audio upgrade it to get rid of the POS factory amp and use something with more POWER!!