SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

DIY #1: Aftermarket In-Dash GPS/DVD on XC90 Solved

249K views 333 replies 81 participants last post by  drprofessional 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all so I did a lot of leg work regarding aftermarket radio installs more specifically double din GPS units on XC90's and found a solution that allows you to remove all parts of thef actory radio. As you may already know there are solutions out there that require certain parts of the factory radio behind.

I found this site company Incartec (
https://incartec.co.uk/Volvo/XC90 ) and they sell all the adapters for the XC90 radio and you can remove every part of the factory radio, over all a little costly and shipping was expensive to Canada but VERY happy. There are no errors and I was able to remove every single piece of the factory radio/amp which meant I had no space issues, getting stuff behind the dash.With by passing the amp I was able to put the new amp under the passenger seat.

This is everything they advised I needed

1 x VOLVO XC90 CANbus Interface - (39-VOL-UNI)
1 x Volvo XC90 (03-07) amplifier bypass cable - (20-307)
1 x Volvo V70 S60 XC90 PDC Interface - (25-509)
1 x Antenna extension 6 Metre - (21-009)
1x Hyundai /Kia Aerial adapter to male din plug - (21-130)
1x VolvoXC90 Radio Facia Double Din kit (50-860)

My car is a 2013 so I would confirm with them parts are the same for other model years.

Important to know that the steeringwheel interface works with the following head unit brands, Alpine, Kenwood, JVC,Blaupunkt, Clarion, Panasonic, Zenec, Eclipse, Grundig, Sony, Pioneer, Becker,

as I wanted to get the Parrot but it is not compatible.

Hope that helps everyone out.I am not sure who else sells this stuff because I looked ALL over the net but if you have an idea please post it will help others out greatly, trust me I spent 2 months looking around.

On a side note as speaker information is also limited onlineI was able to fit 6.5 components in the front doors with a mounting depth of 2.5 no problem (installer said 3" would also be fine). For the rears I was able to fit 5.25 mid ranges with 2.81 depth no problem.

See less See more
#65 ·
I don't know if anyone here tried this model:
http://www.carnaviplayer.com/volvo-xc90-aftermarket-navigation-car-stereo-upgrade-p-939
I just finished installing it last weekend and couldn't be happier. DHL shipping was very fast (though a bit pricey), it fits perfectly in the dash, it has a nice finishing, intuitive menus. My XC90 didn't come with a GPS or a CD changer so I found this as the best alternative.
All is plug and play. I choose the wired rear view camera so running the cable was a bit challenging but all went well.
Here's a big PLUS for the provider: the camera stopped working after a day of use. CarNavi was extremely responsive and, within a few hours, they agreed the built-in voltage regulator of the camera failed, therefore they would either send me a replacement or a refund. Once I accepted the refund, I had the PayPal confirmation in less than 30 seconds.
I had other aftermarket GPS on my previous cars but this one is from far the best one: very fast satellite detection; it never failed to detect the signal even in cold cloudy weather.
This was my second purchase from this supplier (first one was a rear view camera for 2012 VW Touareg) and had very good experience with them, both times.

#69 ·
That is an interesting unit, too bad the unit does not retract or fold down.

Reactions: Manntis
#70 ·
Hello Chris and every body, I'm new into this and I found this topic very interesting.
I tried to contact carnaviplayer.com about the system, but they replayed that the system will be without audio because my car doesn't have AUX port.
So is it possible to fix the missing of AUX port in my car?
Thanks.

My car is Volvo XC90 2004.

#74 ·
#78 ·
I think I spent a couple hundred with shipping.

#76 ·
Hi everyone,

I've just installed a new stereo in my 2004 xc90. I used an Aerpro T-Harness which connects to the factory amp. I then ran extended wires from the Head Unit in the Dash, down to a universal ISO harness at the AMP and this then plugs into the same Aerpro harness. I have bundled up the original radio and side panels and have them still connected and currently sitting at the drivers feet! I have added a fibre optic loop to the Plug that I pulled out the of CD changer. Not sure if this is actually doing something useful but I thought this might keep the parking sensors active, which it didn't.

Anyway, I have two questions. Has anyone managed to keep the sensors working without installing a Tone Restorer and if so how? I just don't get it actually! The only thing that is no longer plugged in is the CD changer plug. Everything else is still plugged in so why don't the sensors work? If anyone can explain this..... please do! Finally, I was told I need to buy an Antenna Adapter, however I can't work out where this needs to be plugged in. It has a standard antenna plug at one end and a grey plug at the other. Has anyone used this and if so....where does it go.

Aside from these two things, the stereo appears to be working fine. It does stay on for about 45 seconds after I take the key out which is really weird; but from what I read..... not unheard of.

Any help with the Antenna and Parking Tones would be much appreciated. I was hoping to avoid installing the camera!

Cheers

#77 ·
Any help with the Antenna and Parking Tones would be much appreciated. I was hoping to avoid installing the camera!

Cheers
The antenna adapter I got did not work with our 2012 XC90. I ended up getting a basic FM/AM antenna from Best Buy, plugged it in and put it in the headliner at the front window edge.

I retained the parking sensors using a InCartec module. It connects to the CANBUS network and presents an audible beep when in reverse.

#81 ·
yes - should be everything. The antenna adapter may not work, so you may need to source an alternative. I am considering getting another XC90, so I may be doing this again - hopefully I can find a XC without NAV.

#83 ·
Chris,
I just completed installing a Pioneer AVH-4100NEX in my 2007 XC90 using the InCarTec FK-860 kit. There are a couple things that aren't working perfectly that I was hoping you could give some advice on since I believe they may be working for you.

1. Steering Controls. Mine aren't working - you mentioned in one of your posts that it "took some head scratching". What did you do for the connections to the head unit? I'm plugged into the harnesses just fine, but the 3.5mm jack isn't plugged in and I'm just not sure what the "lead wire" is for.
2. Antenna - I ran what InCarTec provided up the passenger A-pillar since I couldn't find the factory antenna in the rear roof either. It's just ok, and I'm considering the aftermarket antenna like you did. Are you happy with that? And you mentioned you found the factory one behind the panel in the driver's side in the cargo bay?
3. My radio won't recognize the USB data. Did you have issues with that?

Thanks in advance. I used your pictures a lot during my install and they were really helpful.

#82 ·
Hi everyone

I am going to replace the HU in my 2005 XC90 and found this thread very useful. Thanks to everyone contributing. However, I am abit worried that the rear entertainment system will stop working after the replacement,as it might be connected to the MOST? The DVD player and the screen are both mounted in the ceiling and the system has it's own small speaker.

The entertainment system is not connected to the amp under the FR carseat I guess, since I dont get any sound from the cars speakers when playing DVDs. So, would installing an aftermarket HU and bypassing the amp really cause any problems? My kids (and wife) would not be very happy with me if I messed up the DVD player :)

#85 ·
Hi everyone

I am going to replace the HU in my 2005 XC90 and found this thread very useful. Thanks to everyone contributing. However, I am abit worried that the rear entertainment system will stop working after the replacement,as it might be connected to the MOST? The DVD player and the screen are both mounted in the ceiling and the system has it's own small speaker.

The entertainment system is not connected to the amp under the FR carseat I guess, since I dont get any sound from the cars speakers when playing DVDs. So, would installing an aftermarket HU and bypassing the amp really cause any problems? My kids (and wife) would not be very happy with me if I messed up the DVD player :)
Hi Liffa, did you ever get your question answered? I just bought a 2006 XC90 with Nav (wow its bad), and Rear Seat Entertainment. I'm worried upgrading the HU would mess with the rear unit. Anyone have any advice? Experience?

#90 ·
Glad you got everything working!

I picked up another XC90, so I may be doing this double-din install again. This one does not have NAV, so the install will be a little less complicated. May look for a headunit with Apple CarPlay so i have the latest infotainment tech. Will see what's out in the market.

#91 ·
Glad you got everything working!

I picked up another XC90, so I may be doing this double-din install again. This one does not have NAV, so the install will be a little less complicated. May look for a headunit with Apple CarPlay so i have the latest infotainment tech. Will see what's out in the market.
I dont think i managed to connect the antenna adapter correctly. i found the antenna module in the back, but I am not sure how to connect the cable. I could only see three cables conneted to the antenna module, power and two MOST optic cables. I tried to connect the adapter cable included in the kit, to the MOST output of the antenna module. It seemed to fit OK, is this the correct place to install the cable? The radio does not pick up as many frequencies as before. The instructions included were not very clear.

#93 ·
I took a ton of photos when I did the 2012 and planned to do a full write-up but just lost track of time. I'll take more photos with this one. This '07 does not have navigation or a backup camera, so without NAV may be helpful, without the backup camera means I may need to drill a hole in the rear hatch, will see when I get around to the camera install. I can just run the wires and install at a later date.

So for now, I have collected all the parts and pieces, some extra just in case. :)

Once I get this one done, I'll be happy to lend a hand doing an install. I don't know if any audio shops in the DC Metro. I like to take my time with solder and shrink tube. I will build the wiring harness one evening and then start early on a Saturday morning. Lessons learned from the first install was to pick up a FM antenna, just incase the connector doesn't work or can't be found. :) I also picked up a spare XC90 radio cage from erievovo.com This allows me to trim away the necessary plastic and keep the original cage intact if I need to reinstall the original OEM unit.

I thought about getting an Apple CarPlay headunit but I prefer to have a memory based nav system with GPS just incase my cell phone does not have coverage. I would not want to be way out in the middle of nowhere reliant on NAV and not have a cell signal.

#94 ·
Got a spare radio cage from www.erievovo.com. It has been trimmed for the double DIN headunit:

Now its time to get the wiring sorted and then I'll begin the install.

#95 ·
Ok - will try to do a step by step here:

Parts:
Incartec (www.incartec.co.uk) XC90 facia kit (FK-860: amplifier bypass cable 20-307, parking buzzers use item 25-506, Use 39-VOL-UNI for CAN signals and steering controls and one for Kenwood (they offer others)
Kenwood headunit from Crutchfield ( www.crutchfield.com )
optional: FM/AM antenna if you can't find the Volvo antenna or proper adapter

Incartec installation instructions can be reviewed here:

Time:
Give yourself 4-8 hours depending your comfort level pulling things apart and working with wires as well as the number of little things you want to install cleanly within the cabin. For example, if you want to fit a flush mounted USB port inside the center console, neatly tuck and hide all the wires, run the iPod cable within the center console, bluetooth microphone, satellite radio antenna, GPS antenna, and rear camera.

Tools:
10mm socket (batter cable)
13mm socket (battery cover)
T25 Torx driver (center console, lower dash panels)
bone tool (plastic flat blade) to help pop the center console, help push the wires into the A-pilar and other areas
wire cutters
wire stripper tool
soldering gun and solder
shrink tube (use a lighter to shrink the tubing)
black electrical tape

Disconnect battery:

Pop up the center console around the gearshift lever. Pull up with a bone tool/non-metal prying tool, just in front of the cup holder door edge. Remove the two T25 torx screws as shown:

Pull from the bottom and the center stack will start to come out. Remove the various connectors from the back of the unit. Once separated, go to a work bench

Remove the torx screws from the back of the unit to release the lower controls. These are going onto the new facia.

Swap the controls and tighten the torx screws:

Under the passenger seat (U.S. Market, driver's seat in the U.K.), remove the three 10mm screws holding the amp.

Disconnect the wiring harness and take the InCarTec adapter harness as shown:

Run the wires under the seat rail track, along the center console and up the back side of the dash. There is a small hole that allows you to easily fish the wires up to the headunit.

** I ran this harness adapter to test fit. I then pulled it and cut the brown connector off and soldered the speaker wires on my workbench and then returned the harness to the XC90.

The speaker wires go to the Kenwood plug's speaker wires and the color codes match up. :)

With the fascia reinstalled, you can place all the wires and finish the soldering of the power and ground wires. It may look daunting but as your work with the wires, things make sense.

Now, you can begin to plug in the various wires and test fit the headunit. Do not fully seat the headunit as the wires may not be correct. Make certain your CANBUS wires are correct (green & white), this will prevent errors.

Parking assist speaker module: I cut a piece of cardboard as a temporary cover for the amp area. I put the speaker under the passenger seat in this space under the cardboard:

Not all of the factory plugs are reused, so don't let that worry you ... too much. ;)

With everything plugged in and once you've double checked everything, reconnect the battery and see if you get power. :)

If everything goes well and things are connected properly, you will get power, the speakers will play music and there won't be any warning lights showing on the dash. I ran the bluetooth microphone up the driver's A-pilar and mounted it there. Fished the wire across the lower dash cover and into the back of the headunit.

So what's left?
1. FM/AM antenna at the back of the XC and run the adapter wire.
2. Connect a backup camera
3. Finalize the location of the USB/iPod cables into the center console.
4. Activate the Sirius XM satellite radio receiver (SXV300) that came with 3 months of free service.

I ran each of these wires under the dash so I could close up the center console. Hopefully, I won't need to pull the dash apart again

Reactions: Manntis
#333 ·
Ok - will try to do a step by step here:

Parts:
Incartec (www.incartec.co.uk) XC90 facia kit (FK-860: amplifier bypass cable 20-307, parking buzzers use item 25-506, Use 39-VOL-UNI for CAN signals and steering controls and one for Kenwood (they offer others)
Kenwood headunit from Crutchfield ( www.crutchfield.com )
optional: FM/AM antenna if you can't find the Volvo antenna or proper adapter

Incartec installation instructions can be reviewed here:

Time:
Give yourself 4-8 hours depending your comfort level pulling things apart and working with wires as well as the number of little things you want to install cleanly within the cabin. For example, if you want to fit a flush mounted USB port inside the center console, neatly tuck and hide all the wires, run the iPod cable within the center console, bluetooth microphone, satellite radio antenna, GPS antenna, and rear camera.

Tools:
10mm socket (batter cable)
13mm socket (battery cover)
T25 Torx driver (center console, lower dash panels)
bone tool (plastic flat blade) to help pop the center console, help push the wires into the A-pilar and other areas
wire cutters
wire stripper tool
soldering gun and solder
shrink tube (use a lighter to shrink the tubing)
black electrical tape

Disconnect battery:

Pop up the center console around the gearshift lever. Pull up with a bone tool/non-metal prying tool, just in front of the cup holder door edge. Remove the two T25 torx screws as shown:

Pull from the bottom and the center stack will start to come out. Remove the various connectors from the back of the unit. Once separated, go to a work bench

Remove the torx screws from the back of the unit to release the lower controls. These are going onto the new facia.

Swap the controls and tighten the torx screws:

Under the passenger seat (U.S. Market, driver's seat in the U.K.), remove the three 10mm screws holding the amp.

Disconnect the wiring harness and take the InCarTec adapter harness as shown:

Run the wires under the seat rail track, along the center console and up the back side of the dash. There is a small hole that allows you to easily fish the wires up to the headunit.

** I ran this harness adapter to test fit. I then pulled it and cut the brown connector off and soldered the speaker wires on my workbench and then returned the harness to the XC90.

The speaker wires go to the Kenwood plug's speaker wires and the color codes match up. :)

With the fascia reinstalled, you can place all the wires and finish the soldering of the power and ground wires. It may look daunting but as your work with the wires, things make sense.

Now, you can begin to plug in the various wires and test fit the headunit. Do not fully seat the headunit as the wires may not be correct. Make certain your CANBUS wires are correct (green & white), this will prevent errors.

Parking assist speaker module: I cut a piece of cardboard as a temporary cover for the amp area. I put the speaker under the passenger seat in this space under the cardboard:

Not all of the factory plugs are reused, so don't let that worry you ... too much. ;)

With everything plugged in and once you've double checked everything, reconnect the battery and see if you get power. :)

If everything goes well and things are connected properly, you will get power, the speakers will play music and there won't be any warning lights showing on the dash. I ran the bluetooth microphone up the driver's A-pilar and mounted it there. Fished the wire across the lower dash cover and into the back of the headunit.

So what's left?
1. FM/AM antenna at the back of the XC and run the adapter wire.
2. Connect a backup camera
3. Finalize the location of the USB/iPod cables into the center console.
4. Activate the Sirius XM satellite radio receiver (SXV300) that came with 3 months of free service.

I ran each of these wires under the dash so I could close up the center console. Hopefully, I won't need to pull the dash apart again

Sadly, this radio finally died. Just bought a newer Kenwood unit, remade the plug wires (because OF COURSE they just ever so slightly changed the plug design and wire order), swapped the cage, and reinstalled. The rear camera didn't work when plugged back in. Have to try and figure that one out tomorrow.

#97 ·
Thanks!

I wasted an hour looking for the antenna wire in the back. I decided to just use the Metra antenna I purchased and stuck it to the windshield edge on the passenger side. I wanted to put it over in the center but the wire was not long enough. oh well. I pulled the dash out slightly, found the PW ANT wire on the Kenwood harness and spliced the power wire to the antenna. I now have FM/AM channels, although I only use one local FM channel for news and traffic.

#101 ·
You will not find the antenna wire in the back, if your car is in the U.S. The European cars have a wire with a plug that will accept the adapter sold by Incartec. The U.S. cars just have an empty "hole" where the plug should be. I ran into this problem when I did my install and talked with the people over at Incartec and figured this out. They did not know that U.S. spec cars did not have the plug until I notified them. The Euro cars have different antennas to receive the DAB signals. The only options are to find a factory Euro antenna assembly from ebay somewhere (very expensive to have shipped) or run a standard antenna wire and use a behind the glass mount (I tried this and reception was terrible), or get a "beesting" or "shark fin" style antenna and cut a hole in roof and mount. I went with the "bee sting" style similar to what the VW's have It works ok but reception is still not as good as I would like. The ribs on the roof will not allow mounting in the center, so I will have to be slightly offset to one side, If I were to do again I would try the "shark fin" style.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antenne-Vol...l:XC90&hash=item51ca623740:g:qzQAAOSwYHxWKdF8
This is a link to a Euro antenna on ebay. If you look in the middle at the edge of the green film, where all the "wires" lead to, you will see a green board with 3 "plugs" or holes on it. The 2 outer ones one plug is green and one is brown, that is where the adapter is supposed to plug into. On the U.S. spec cars you will just see 3 holes on the metal, no board with plugs attached.
Here is a link to a U.S spec antenna notice the lack of any plug in the middle
www.ebay.com/itm/Antenne-Volvo-XC90...l:XC90&hash=item51ca623740:g:qzQAAOSwYHxWKdF8

#100 ·
very good question. Not sure. I sent erievovo an email with a picture of what I was looking for and they understood. I will take a look on the plastic of the original one and see if a P/N is stamped on it.

#102 ·
Thanks for the confirmation on the antenna.

#103 ·
finished the rear parking sensor speaker panel under the passenger seat. A little carpet and it looks decent enough.

#104 ·
Chris or anyone else who installed the kit, would you be wiling to sell the antenna adapter (21-148) if you haven't used it. I found a antenna module from a euro car cheap and am going to try to hook it up. Problem is I got rid of the adapter back when I found out it wouldn't work with a US car. Let me know if you have one you can part ways with. Thanks

#107 ·
Your welcome to have mine.

#105 ·
Is there a reason why this isn't stickied anymore? I would like to do this eventually, and with 35,000 views it is pretty popular.

#106 ·
I added link in the the 'how to' sticky thread at the top of the page.

#108 ·
I have couple questions im hoping can be answered? Say i wanted to go about this the cheapest way possible. ( the intec kit runs $350 us ) which is a bit crazy imo. Anyway, say i didn't care about wheel controls nor the back up sensors, can i just use the amp bypass and run speaker wires to the rear of the double din? there is switched power in the center console area that i found when cleaning the whole shift area. I mean you have got positive switched and constant, negative and speaker wires. Its been a while since i did a stereo install but im sure it hasn't changed much? Dont care much about local channels as we listen mainly to xm and source content. Anything im missing?

#109 ·
You could just get the facia kit and the amp by-pass harness. The by-pass harness will let you hook up to the factory speakers in a plug-and-play manner. If you want to revert to stock, I would pickup a stereo cage from erievovo.com, you just swap over the HVAC controls, and leave the radio in the cage. future swap back to stop would go much easier. That's the approach I took incase we ever trade in the XC90.

on the other end you need to cut off the connector and connect the wires: