R Design Muffler - Borla vs Magnaflow vs Flowmaster
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Hey everyone. Need your advice on which muffler to consider for S60 RDesign. The stock one is just a little too bland and the after market systems are a bit too much money. I already have the Volvo rectangular tips. There is someone with a S60 T5 and borla 4047, which sounds great. I'm not sure if it'll sound same on a T6 engine.

BORLA 40477
      1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHZswKHcxpg (sounds good)
      2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiiqNx663GY (might be a bit too loud)

Any info, advice, opinions, vote

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

im at work and cant get to those links, but i think there are some videos on youtube, and floating around the forum, of a T6 with Borla 40477. not sure if there are any T6 magnaflow clips, but the magnaflow exhaut we need is only $100. vs $290 for borla. no idea on flowmaster.
      2008 C30 T5 V 2.0 Cosmic White / Java - 6speed Manual- K16 - Newman Cams - Autotech Custom Tune - 3" Catless DP - Elevate Goodies - CEIKA BBK - PB Coilovers - Custom Leather Interior - Forgestar F14s - Etc.

2011 S60 T6 AWD - Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by zenik01 View Post
      Hey everyone. Need your advice on which muffler to consider for S60 RDesign. The stock one is just a little too bland and the after market systems are a bit too much money. I already have the Volvo rectangular tips. There is someone with a S60 T5 and borla 4047, which sounds great. I'm not sure if it'll sound same on a T6 engine.

BORLA 40477
      1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHZswKHcxpg (sounds good)
      2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiiqNx663GY (might be a bit too loud)

Any info, advice, opinions, vote
      Has anyone tried pulling the front muffler (resonator) and building a nice 2 into 1 pipe off the flange and running the stock R-design rear muffler yet? I might try that first on mine. I know the Mini's that's a common mod to remove the resonator and it gives it a nice sound.
      2006 Honda S2000 SCCA STU car with K24 swap 317whp
      2003 Mini Cooper S Rotrex swap 400hp
      2014 Rebel Blue S60 R Design 13.0 @ 106.29 mph IPD rear bar, Brembo GT Big Brake kit w/carbotech 1521 pads, K&N filter, Ferrita Cat-Back Exhaust, Polestar Ohlins Shocks and Struts, Polestar Springs.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Seems like that muffler shop should know what they are doing to do that. I came these videos that someone posted on the forum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8_w3OWQErs
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jguclUI__Qc
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSnCIjk9Gy0

Would be nice to find one with a drive by, since the camera is so close to the exhaust that it makes it seems that its louder than it is.
      + Props on the Mini Cooper S- one of my favorite cars to drive in the city. for sure.

I was told that if you change the existing pipe (2'5") to 3" and use the Borla 40477 you may get a louder sound, but not as loud as the Heico.
      Can that be true by increasing the diameter size of the pipe changes the sound of the exhaust? Can that also damage the engine?
      '16 V60 Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by rlvdesign View Post
      I was told that if you change the existing pipe (2'5") to 3" and use the Borla 40477 you may get a louder sound, but not as loud as the Heico.
      Can that be true by increasing the diameter size of the pipe changes the sound of the exhaust? Can that also damage the engine?
      It can definitely effect the sound. But it won't do anything harmful to the engine. Increases airflow. Better performance and mpg maybe. But only if you do a full cat back. If you just change from the muffler to the tailpipes there won't be any gain besides sound.
      Last edited by skissinger; 10-27-2013 at 03:10 PM.
      2008 C30 T5 V 2.0 Cosmic White / Java - 6speed Manual- K16 - Newman Cams - Autotech Custom Tune - 3" Catless DP - Elevate Goodies - CEIKA BBK - PB Coilovers - Custom Leather Interior - Forgestar F14s - Etc.

I like the Heico

it sounds nice but I can understand your concern with it being loud
      2005 SR GT Steveo tune | IPD catback | EST dp | K an N drop in | IPD CAI | CX Racing FMIC | Snabb Intake | Forge CBV
      2005 SR M66 aka Pitogo's old R.

Instagram r_mayor

Quote Originally Posted by MattS60R View Post
      I like the Heico

it sounds nice but I can understand your concern with it being loud
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp4bYHT78k8

Came across this video of Magnaflow exhaust on a T6 S80, which sounds pretty good & not too loud. Only not sure if on the RDesign it would sound same as on this S80. Also the owner says he changed the resonators to magnaflow. What do you think. Did anyone have experience any of them. which one would you go with?

As much as I would love to take out $2k and purchase the K-Pax racing exhaust the price nor the availability or ease of working with the Volvo dealers in my area to get it installed has me really leaning towards going to the old muffler shop by my house who worked on a cat back exhaust on my old 1995 impala and give them a chance to work their magic again.

I honestly dont see too many bends and turns in the piping, is manderel bending going to make THAT MUCH of a difference? I just need to find the correct muffler (borla) and the correct size pipe 3" from what ive read and get the guy to work his majic.

What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by MrBurner View Post
      As much as I would love to take out $2k and purchase the K-Pax racing exhaust the price nor the availability or ease of working with the Volvo dealers in my area to get it installed has me really leaning towards going to the old muffler shop by my house who worked on a cat back exhaust on my old 1995 impala and give them a chance to work their magic again.

I honestly dont see too many bends and turns in the piping, is manderel bending going to make THAT MUCH of a difference? I just need to find the correct muffler (borla) and the correct size pipe 3" from what ive read and get the guy to work his majic.

What do you guys think?
      this is also my plan. there is a magnaflow muffler that someone used. only about $100. i cant find the thread tho. that way you can have 3" catback AND a polestar (or shark) tune for the same price as the kpax exhaust. win.

Hey everyone,

Thank you for all your responses gave me a good all around idea of what I need to be going after....still some questions though.

I just got back from my local muffler shop, the one that did and amazing job on my 1995 Impala SS....this guy knows his stuff he has been around for the past....20+ years.

This is what he told me: "Im going to delete the second resonator and in its place out a Y pipe, replace the existing exhaust with 3" piping all the way back and change the muffler to a Magna Flow exhaust, we can keep the same tips or put some new ones for $575 total"

what do you guys think? yes its always better to spend $2k on a kpax exhaust, but this guy has been doing his job for years and what he described is the same thing id pay for with other exhausts.....I told him I am not looking for noise I just want to free it up a little, he replied that it wont make as much noise as the impala and it will free up the overall throttle feel not only off the line.....im excited to have this guy do his magic again, and even more happy with the price.....the dilemma now is should i even touch the exhaust or leave it alone......

Hey everyone,

Thank you for all your responses gave me a good all around idea of what I need to be going after....still some questions though.

I just got back from my local muffler shop, the one that did and amazing job on my 1995 Impala SS....this guy knows his stuff he has been around for the past....20+ years.

This is what he told me: "Im going to delete the second resonator and in its place out a Y pipe, replace the existing exhaust with 3" piping all the way back and change the muffler to a Magna Flow exhaust, we can keep the same tips or put some new ones for $575 total"

what do you guys think? yes its always better to spend $2k on a kpax exhaust, but this guy has been doing his job for years and what he described is the same thing id pay for with other exhausts.....I told him I am not looking for noise I just want to free it up a little, he replied that it wont make as much noise as the impala and it will free up the overall throttle feel not only off the line.....im excited to have this guy do his magic again, and even more happy with the price.....the dilemma now is should i even touch the exhaust or leave it alone......
      Sounds almost the same as my plan. Make sure he uses mandrel bends and doeant just bend up the pipe on his bender in the shop. It takes more time to measure up and or the mandrel bends pre bent but makes a much nicer system.
      2014 Rebel Blue S60 R Design 13.0 @ 106.29 mph IPD rear bar, Brembo GT Big Brake kit w/carbotech 1521 pads, K&N filter, Ferrita Cat-Back Exhaust, Polestar Ohlins Shocks and Struts, Polestar Springs.

what if he doesnt mandrel bend? what could be the downside to that? I need to find out....

what if he doesnt mandrel bend? what could be the downside to that? I need to find out....
      Well doing normal bends with a pipe bender crushes the pipe on the bends. This reduces the diameter of the pipe at each bend. So you might have a 3 inch pipe as it goes into the bend it might be reduced in diameter to a 2.5 inch pipe. So your restricting the exhaust at the same place it already has the restriction of a bend. It kinda defeats the purpose and makes the whole exhaust pointless. The other negative effect is that your now reducing diameter of the pipe then then expanding it over and over again. So your speeding the air up then slowing it down over and over again. This can cause all kinds of negative sound traits. The cause of exhaust "DRONE" is usually exhaust gases being allowed to expand into a larger pipe and slowing down.... well your adding all kinds of places for this expansion to happen and create drone. I had an S60 come in that some muffler shop had built him an exhaust that was all crush bends. Not only did it look terrible it sounded terrible. I removed it ordered the mandrel bends I needed and cut them and welded them in. Sounded a lot better. He didn't do before and after dyno numbers for me. I also added a Muffler he bought... Before and after photo's.

On My mini I have a Long tube header to a 3 inch straight pipe. As it gets back to the diffuser I split the pipe into dual 2.5's and then built my own mufflers for the dual 2.5's to dump it out in the diffuser giving it a bit of a blown diffuser. The exhaust expanding from the single 3 to the dual 2.5's drones like you wouldn't believe. To solve this I put a Valve in that closes under 10lbs of boost to block one side of the exhaust off. Completely solved the drone. The electric motor on the valve isn't very quick so I made it on a toggle switch instead on the dash. Was hoping to have it all automated but it didn't work out.

Muffler I built for the Mini and the exhaust split I built. All mandrel bends , the mini exhaust is kinda ugly cause it's been cut up so many times. It's half stainless and half mild steel. It's a mess really. I just keep playing with it to get the sound I want.

Last edited by Mrsideways; 11-19-2013 at 05:38 PM.

Mr burner, did you ever do this exhaust described in this ppst above? Curious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know this is an old thread... but I have my Borla muffler arriving tomorrow, and I'm having second thoughts and considering sending it back. The main reason for that is because I live in California and have been reading other forums where people are talking about being pulled over for modified mufflers or exhausts and noise issues. Even though they are under the 95dba limit, in California its apparently pretty damn strict. Then there is the issue of passing the smog check (But I guess that wouldn't be much of an issue for just a muffler swap).

Anybody here in California with these muffler mods have any problems with the law?

Thanks!
      Last edited by BIG ACH; 03-15-2017 at 01:21 AM.

I've modified my exhaust on multiple vehicles and have not experienced any negative attention from law enforcement. I live in LA county, so they are a little more lenient on modified cars I think than other areas. On the other hand I don't accelerate to redline and have a pedal to the metal driving attitude.

As far as emissions testing, you are allowed to modify your exhaust after the factory cat.

20. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements