Newbie with questions? No surprise there!
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Newbie with questions? No surprise there!

Howdy Gang!

First time poster, occasional lurker here. I've got a base model 2003 S60 with the 5-speed. I've owned it for about 18 months and I bought it from a family member who owned it since new. It had 103,000 miles when I bought it and I'm just over 130,000 now. It has a variety of small issues or annoyances that are starting to increase in numbers. Rather than make 4 different posts, I thought I might be able to list them here to see which ones are common to S60's or to Volvos in general.

1. Turn signal switch: Hi beams come on when signaling a Right turn. I've seen other threads that discuss dismantling the switch and cleaning the contacts for intermittent signal problems, but that doesn't seem to be my problem. If I apply pressure to the signal lever in the right turn direction, the Hi beams stay off. If I relax pressure while the switch is activated, the Hi beams come on. Has anybody been able to correct this issue by cleaning the switch, or is it simply time to replace it?

2. Low Idle when coming to a stop: The car runs and idles excellent almost all of the timeÖexcept when Iím slowing to a stop. As Iím decelerating to a stop, the idle dips down momentarily to around 500 after Iíve put in the clutch. It hangs down there for just a few secondsómaybe 5 or soóand then recovers back up to around 800. It has never stalled, but it gets low enough to make me wonder if it is going to. As others have reported, the engine tends to vibrate more while at this low idle, but then smoothes out when the RPM recovers. Any common suspects for this behavior?

3. Hard Shifting: The transmission is never ďeasyĒ to shift, but is particularly stubborn when the engine and the ambient temperature is cold. (I live in the snowbelt of NW PA). During the first couple of minutes after start-up it is very difficult to get the transmission into any gear from Neutral, and it is also most difficult to shift into second gear once underway. Once the car is warmed up, it shifts with less difficulty, i.e.óresistance, but it always requires more pressure to move the shifter than any other car Iíve ever driven. The clutch operation is pretty smooth and seems to function as it should. Engagement and disengagement seem to occur at the proper range of clutch pedal travel. Also, it should be noted that while this is my first Volvo, Iíve been driving for 34 years and Iíve owned (or regularly driven) at least 10 different vehicles with a manual transmission. This Volvo is by far the hardest shifting vehicle Iíve ever encountered. So, my question is whether this is a common trait for this model of car or if Iíve got an issue?

4. Clunking Strut Mounts? I posted this one as a question, because I canít say for sure where the clunking is coming from, but it totally sounds like the upper strut mount for the front-left strut. I know that with 130,000 miles, Iím probably due for new struts anyway, but I figured I should at least compare notes with other owners on this one. The sound is kind of a hybrid combination of a groan and a clunk that occurs when I am driving on a bumpy road at slower speeds of 30 mph or less. It isnít noticed as much at highway speeds, probably because these roads tend to be smoother. How common is this problem and am I looking in the right direction?

I know that this is a lot of information and I will continue to research the previous threads, but I look forward to hearing your responses.

I should also note that I did the timing belt, water pump, tensioner project when I first bought the car, but I've seen references to the PCV system requiring some periodic maintenance. If anybody has any additional insights to add that may or may not be relavent to the issues I listed, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

Ted

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Hello and welcome Ted! Let me see if I can give you a little insight here...

1. I'm actually not so sure about this one. Maybe someone else can chime in here?

2. My car actually does the same thing and I haven't been able to figure it out. People have said to try cleaning the PCV system and someone else mentioned to try cleaning the throttle body with a little carburetor cleaner. Haven't tried either yet, but this isn't an uncommon problem.

3. I have an '02 Base with MT and my shifting is an absolute breeze. But my brother drives a year newer '03 Base S60 and I've noticed his shifting is much stiffer, but he doesn't have a problem shifting out of neutral in the cold. Maybe could be something with the linkage I'm not sure. Again maybe someone else can chime in.

4. Definitely your upper spring seats. SUPER common with those failing in the p2 Volvo's, and it will cause a 'clunking' sound at slower speeds over bumps. iPd makes a HD one that's a good replacement. I've had them for a couple years now with no problems! Here you go!
      2006 V70R M66 | Snabb High Flow intake & inlet pipe, Snabb 3" catless DP, iPd catback, KW v2's, Powerflex rear toe bushings, Hilton stage 1 tune
      2002 S60 2.4/NA - MT | Sold...

Quote Originally Posted by SnowmanPA View Post

1. Turn signal switch: Hi beams come on when signaling a Right turn.

They break. Replace the switch, not very expensive

2. Low Idle when coming to a stop: The car runs and idles excellent almost all of the time…except when I’m slowing to a stop.

What's this an 03?
      Clean or replace the MAF first. If that doesn't work you may have a very teenie crack in a vacuum line. Also see below

3. Hard Shifting: The transmission is never “easy” to shift, but is particularly stubborn when the engine and the ambient temperature is cold. (I live in the snowbelt of NW PA). During the first couple of minutes after start-up it is very difficult to get the transmission into any gear from Neutral, and it is also most difficult to shift into second gear once underway. ....?

You need to change the transmission fluid NOW
      At these miles never do a power flush but a series of drain and fills until it's all clean again.
      Have all software updated and go from there

4. Clunking Strut Mounts?

They're probably cracked
      At these miles you probably do need to install new front struts and rear shocks so along with the spring seats and anything else that looks suspect while apart... so just replace the entire strut assy, (thelabor is the same).

Check the sway bar end links, those too can "rattle/clunk".

Also have your control arm bushings checked, at these miles they should either be bad, or going bad, unless they have previously been replaced.

... but I've seen references to the PCV system requiring some periodic maintenance. If anybody has any additional insights to add that may or may not be relavent to the issues I listed, I'd love to hear them.

Clogged breather system can also cause your idling issues, (plus many others if not renewed) have it tested.
      This too at 130K is due to be renewed, (approx. every 100K is about the time). After that use nothing but synthetic oil and change it at no more than 5000 miles

You're welcome!
      Last edited by JRL; 11-09-2013 at 12:59 PM.
      Email: jrl1194 ( at ) AOL (dot) com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak/Tan/Arena, 117K miles. My DD with no plans to sell it anytime soon
      2000 V70R, Wife's, she won't sell. Now she hit 158,000 miles and still near perfect!

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Junior Member Baron Von Chickenpants's Avatar
      yep on #1, mine had intermittent signals both ways, $71, 5 minutes, done.
      2001 T5 - Le Moneypit
      2016 Genesis Ultimate AWD - Le Noyce

Howdy Gang!

3. Hard Shifting: The transmission is never “easy” to shift, but is particularly stubborn when the engine and the ambient temperature is cold. (I live in the snowbelt of NW PA). During the first couple of minutes after start-up it is very difficult to get the transmission into any gear from Neutral, and it is also most difficult to shift into second gear once underway. Once the car is warmed up, it shifts with less difficulty, i.e.—resistance, but it always requires more pressure to move the shifter than any other car I’ve ever driven. The clutch operation is pretty smooth and seems to function as it should. Engagement and disengagement seem to occur at the proper range of clutch pedal travel. Also, it should be noted that while this is my first Volvo, I’ve been driving for 34 years and I’ve owned (or regularly driven) at least 10 different vehicles with a manual transmission. This Volvo is by far the hardest shifting vehicle I’ve ever encountered. So, my question is whether this is a common trait for this model of car or if I’ve got an issue?

Ted
      Someone have probably replaced the manual transmission oil with a 75W90 and its way to thick for the volvo MT gearbox when its cold.
      Buy the correct oil at your Volvo dealer or you can also use Redline MTL 70W80 and it will work great even at very low temps.

Note that you cant use Redline 75W90 or any other 75W90 oil if you want be able to shift easy during cold weather.
      You need approx 2-2,1 Liter for your gearbox and it should be a GL4 oil.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the fast replies. I like that IPD kit with the spring seats and mounts both. I'll do that along with the struts.

Jim, thanks for the detailed answers. As far as the trans fluid goes, I failed to mention that I did in fact drain and fill it as soon as I bought the car. It had some pretty good front end vibration when I first bought it so after having the tires balanced and still having the vibration, I ordered both front axles. I replaced the driver's side first since I thought that the vibration was worse on that side. This has been about 18 months ago, but if memory serves me correctly, I lost a lot of fluid out of the transaxle while replacing the axle shaft. So I just went ahead and drained it all and reserviced it. Believe it or not, I actually did drive 45 miles to my nearest Volvo dealer and bought the factory fluid.

I also didn't like the looks of the wheel hub bearing so I went ahead and replaced that while I was already in there. I wish I had just gone ahead and bought struts at that time and had replaced it all together, but I wasn't prepared to do that and I needed to get the car back together so I could go back to work.

Magnus, since I already replaced the fluid with the factory fluid, would you recommend a "slipperier" aftermarket fluid to help with the shifting? Or could it be that I need an adjustment or fluid change on my clutch?

Magnus, since I already replaced the fluid with the factory fluid, would you recommend a "slipperier" aftermarket fluid to help with the shifting? Or could it be that I need an adjustment or fluid change on my clutch?
      The Volvo fluid is very thin and if you still have the same problems after you have replaced it no other fluid will help you.

Second solution is to lube the splined shaft on which the clutch operates but to do that you must remove the gearbox
      so i guess you will have to live with this issue until the clutch is replaced.

You cant adjust the clutch on your car but its possible to bleed it but im not sure it will help.
      If you choose to bleed it there is an internal valve in the system that will close if you try to vacuum bleed it.
      Last edited by Magnus308; 11-09-2013 at 02:49 PM.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the fast replies. I like that IPD kit with the spring seats and mounts both. I'll do that along with the struts.
      Stay away from Meyle HD springseats since they seem to fail early, Go with OEM springseats they are known to last.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus308 View Post
      Stay away from Meyle HD springseats since they seem to fail early, Go with OEM springseats they are known to last.
      Good to know...thanks for the head's up.

Since we were talking about the clutch, what is the longest that anybody has run on the original clutch?

Thanks!

Same goes for the Meyle HD LCA's. STAY AWAY FROM THOSE IF YOU HAVE TO REPLACE. Go OEM or else you will be doing the job again! They're garbage and fail prematurely.
      2006 V70R M66 | Snabb High Flow intake & inlet pipe, Snabb 3" catless DP, iPd catback, KW v2's, Powerflex rear toe bushings, Hilton stage 1 tune
      2002 S60 2.4/NA - MT | Sold...

Someone have probably replaced the manual transmission oil with a 75W90 and its way to thick for the volvo MT gearbox when its cold.
      Buy the correct oil at your Volvo dealer or you can also use Redline MTL 70W80 and it will work great even at very low temps.

Note that you cant use Redline 75W90 or any other 75W90 oil if you want be able to shift easy during cold weather.
      That explains A LOT about my similar issues. I was getting shifting resistance when cold, probably original oil at around 100K. Put in Redline, bit it is very likely I used 75W90, because its still a bit stiff 1st thing in the morning in the worst part of winter. Lucky me, I rarely start the car below 30F.
      But get the synthetic gear oil, for sure. Worth it.
      2004 V70 T5M: Platinum Green Bob Villa mod | boost gauge | poly mounts | Snabb intake | IPD sways | Koni yellow struts | KYB monotube shocks http://imgur.com/a/0MRgX
      2005 Mazda6 Sportwagon in progress...
      2012 Ford Flex Limited

2001 Subaru Outback H6 L.L.Bean/2000 Honda Odyssey EX recently passed (together!)

Just a suggestion on the shifting if the cables are gooped up with dust and crud they can cause hard shifting.
      +1 on the IPD HD uppers. They are XC-90 parts so you could go OE XC-90 uppers or IPD ones your choice. When I did my front end one of my uppers was totally torn free and seperated from the rest of the mount.
      When you do the lowers pull the wheel bearing/assembly out it gives you tons more room. I would go with OE shocks NOT monroes unless you are really in a pinch. Might as well replace everything mounts, bearings, inner and outer tie rod ends, swar bar endlinks, ball joints, etc...that way when you get an alingment done you are done for 50K miles. Meyle, and pretty much every other aftermarket LCA is crap avoid like the plague. Buy new LCA bolts from IPD as the stock ones are torque to yield. yes you have to undo all 5 motor mounts and raise the engine to do the drivers side bolts.
      Low idle is more than likely a vac line leak.
      Yup it's a Volvo. Yes it did just punk your Mustang. No you can't go for a ride.

Following up on your post. Is this oil going to be ok? 05 V50 T5 AWD Manual.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dave533i View Post
      Following up on your post. Is this oil going to be ok? 05 V50 T5 AWD Manual.

The person you replied to last logged on 4 and a half years ago. I don't think he's going to respond, lol.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Got it.
      Still learning to use the site. Thx

19. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements