Clutch slipping diagnosis? S80 D5 Manual
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Clutch slipping diagnosis? S80 D5 Manual

Hi guys,

Recently,putting the car into 2nd, 4th and reverse gears the gear doesn't always 'stick' in gear. It goes back neutral. Reverse is the worst. I have to put it in to other gears and try several times before the gear sets into place.

The 1st, 3rd and 5th gears go into gear fine and feels normal.

Is this early signs of the clutch failing? If so, what am I looking to replace?
      Can someone help out?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I have had this happen on other cars and the linkage might be out of adjustment.
      The gears it is popping out of are in the same plane and may not be fully engaged.

Quote Originally Posted by ruby rhod View Post
      I have had this happen on other cars and the linkage might be out of adjustment.
      The gears it is popping out of are in the same plane and may not be fully engaged.
      If it was the linkage, is it a case of tightening it up?

Is it an easy job? Any guidance or tutorials you can point to?

Thanks in advance?

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

if you think its the clutch:

slave cylinder might be leaking, the one that pushes on the clutch plate, im pretty sure its hydraulic , not cable linkage or it could be the master cylinder #15
      look around for any leaking hydraulic fluid from under tranny

there arent any D5's in the US

S80 manual is even more rare

M56 Shift Control breakdown

M56 Clutch Control breakdown

Last edited by Racer_S; 12-24-2013 at 08:31 PM.
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD Crystal Green Pearl/Charcoal [240K] Mud Guards, 05- Wiper Arms, 305mm brake upgrade, Full LED Exterior, 1-inch lift Pic
      2003 XC70 2.5T AWD Silver/Charcoal [190K] XeMODeX, Mud Guards, 05- Wiper Arms, LED Headlights
      2004 S80 2.5T AWD Crystal Green Pearl/Light Sand [240K] Bi-Xenon, LED Foglights, 07 Turbo and rear diff

Thanks everyone for the help. It seems the gear selector cable has broken and needs to be replaced. This was easily diagnosed by looking down on the engine, just between the fuse box and the engine. You need some one to wiggle the gear knob while the car is in neutral and you can see the cable moving. If you see a white cover on the end that means, it is broken or needs to be replaced. Number 24 in the first image.

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements